OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only just got the Vanilla Demo but there is one thing I've seen straight away. I like the way positions are now shown as Midfielder (Left) / D (L), M © at the top of the screen, but for consistancy could you make the position show up that way when you have disabled all Player and Staff pictures? Probably not many people play without the pictures but I do and that is where I look for the players positions rather then top of the screen.

andrewsurmanprofileattr.jpg

Shows what I mean better then I can explain. I'd like it to be consistant everywhere I guess the Position column when looking at your squad is too small to allow that to happen.

I LOVE the ask your board to sign a player option, I just wish I could give them a whole list and set them to it; it's an excellent addition imo.

I couldnt find that option mate. Do I go to the 'boardroom' option or do I click on a player I want and go from there? I cant seem to find it.

Default skin is so totally BS, that I may skip this version also.

Start screen, locate Preferences

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1512/12457913.jpg

If you want to read news, do not click news, click more

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4586/40957391.jpg

Why D ©, why not DC?

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5595/44301577.jpg

More unclear letters, thank you?

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3514/44630330.jpg

Less LSD dosage and better skin, please.

You probably are the same person who buys the new FIFA game and then says its crap because Bertbatov's hairstyle is wrong and Nani is wearing the wrong boots.

Two impressions so far, keeping in mind I haven't actually gotten to play a match on the pitch yet....

1) The new skin is nice but for someone who has poor vision such as myself it's very hard to navigate because the mouse pointer blends into the white background.

2) I guess I'm not understanding the new contract negotiation system. Maybe someone can explain it for me? When I get to the screen to offer a contract the only offers I can make are either what the player requested or by pressing the "suggest terms" button. If I make any change to any aspect of the original offer or the suggested offer the "make offer" button isn't available to press. How is this contract negotiations when you're forced into only 2 options? I doubt a real negotiation works this way. "It's either offer A or offer B or we can't talk.". Where's the negotiations?

Two impressions so far, keeping in mind I haven't actually gotten to play a match on the pitch yet....

1) The new skin is nice but for someone who has poor vision such as myself it's very hard to navigate because the mouse pointer blends into the white background.

2) I guess I'm not understanding the new contract negotiation system. Maybe someone can explain it for me? When I get to the screen to offer a contract the only offers I can make are either what the player requested or by pressing the "suggest terms" button. If I make any change to any aspect of the original offer or the suggested offer the "make offer" button isn't available to press. How is this contract negotiations when you're forced into only 2 options? I doubt a real negotiation works this way. "It's either offer A or offer B or we can't talk.". Where's the negotiations?

The suggest terms is the negotiation...

You are indicating you disagree with the initial terms he set, and are offering new ones. If he agrees, then you can make an offer. You're not just sending out an offer and hoping he signs, you're conversing to reach an agreement, at which point he is either likely to sign, or is satisfied with the offer from your club but is going to go away and consider offers from other clubs before deciding which of his offers are the best.

I'm not sure how this isn't realistic or plausible to be honest, it makes perfect sense to me.

Default skin is so totally BS, that I may skip this version also.

Start screen, locate Preferences

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1512/12457913.jpg

If you want to read news, do not click news, click more

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4586/40957391.jpg

Why D ©, why not DC?

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5595/44301577.jpg

More unclear letters, thank you?

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3514/44630330.jpg

Less LSD dosage and better skin, please.

tbh, i dont actually see your problem.....

Preferences is fine down there

...more is fine, i know what that means

I think D © is clearer than DC

No unclear letters in that screenshot

The suggest terms is the negotiation...

You are indicating you disagree with the initial terms he set, and are offering new ones. If he agrees, then you can make an offer. You're not just sending out an offer and hoping he signs, you're conversing to reach an agreement, at which point he is either likely to sign, or is satisfied with the offer from your club but is going to go away and consider offers from other clubs before deciding which of his offers are the best.

I'm not sure how this isn't realistic or plausible to be honest, it makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks for the reply but it doesn't work that way in the game. I can even view the original demand by the player and increase the offer to more then he's asking and I can't submit that offer. The same goes for if I change the # of years. The only offers I can submit are the original demand or the suggested offer. Who's suggesting the offer? Why can't I adjust it? To me that isn't negotiation. It's just 2 suggested offers I can make. If I don't like either I can't even attempt to sign a player.

Here's an example. After negotiating with Valencia for the rights to talk to Juan Manuel Mata about a transfer, the player demanded 78k pounds to sign. The "suggested offer" was 75k pounds. But he was only making 28k pounds at Valencia so no way I wanted to offer him 50k pounds per week more just to get him to transfer. But even if I didn't care about how much the offer was I couldn't offer anything but the demand or the suggested offers. To test the system I even increased the salary option to 100k pounds and I still didn't have the ability to make that ofer, and yes I had more then enough available wage budget to make it if I wanted. I should have been able to offer whatever amount I wanted as long as I was within my budgets.

Not exactly. You are unfair.

Apart from the German HR doing his job well (and disregarding the ability of some Bayern players more than many others in the past)

Have to disagree here. Muller played 52 matches in total for Bayern last season and scored 19 goals. He then had a very good World Cup , was the joint top scorer with five goals and was awarded the golden boot. All this with him being played just behind the main striker. I am not going to play the rating game but anything less than 10 out of 20 is poor when the level of his division is taken into account. So that means the researcher thinks his first touch, his passing and his technique are poor...this for a man who played almost all of the season as an attacking midfielder. This points out to only two things..one, the Bundesliga is a very poor league that even a player whose main attributes wrt his position is poor manages to score almost 20 goals in the season..or the German researcher has made a mistake. I have seen some other posters arguing about 2-3 points difference in ratings for their favorite player..as i said, Muller is neither my favorite player nor Bayern my favorite club...but when the player in question has been one of the most consistent performers on the continent for most of the last season and his key attributes are rated poor, then it is a problem for both those who love the club and the player and those who want the database in the game to be as realistic as possible.

I have a customized first team squad screen.

Now, on FM10 that screen was set for all the first team squad screens.

Whenever i clicked on a club, it was the same view i was having on my own clubs squad screen view.

On the demo, the customized squad screen seem only to work with my first team.

If i click any on any other clubs, it goes back to the default view.

Is it supposed to work this way?

Hope you understand what i mean.

I also started a LFC game and i am having a nice start, with 6 league games played won 5 and 1 draw with goals: 15-4. In europe i have won 2 games and the sole game in the cup.

I only loaned in 3 players; Maxwell, Hugo Almeida and Wijnaldum and sold Kuyt.

But on the other hand i like the Demo much and cant wait for the real deal to come out.

You actually managed to sell a player for cash? Lucky you. I have tried selling Babel, Kyriakos, Kuyt, N'gog, Maxi, and Joe cole without one offer for cash, every single offer has been a loan out which is completely pointless. What I find strange is the fact I can't shift any of these players at reasonable to very low prices when in reality, they would be snapped up pretty quickly. I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come in the final game as you can't tell me these players wouldn't be wanted.

Oh I did manage to sell Babel for 1million in another save and only one club came in for him. Something is broke I think as selling Babel for 1million would have hosts of clubs after him.

Thanks for the reply but it doesn't work that way in the game. I can even view the original demand by the player and increase the offer to more then he's asking and I can't submit that offer. The same goes for if I change the # of years. The only offers I can submit are the original demand or the suggested offer. Who's suggesting the offer? Why can't I adjust it? To me that isn't negotiation. It's just 2 suggested offers I can make. If I don't like either I can't even attempt to sign a player.

Here's an example. After negotiating with Valencia for the rights to talk to Juan Manuel Mata about a transfer, the player demanded 78k pounds to sign. The "suggested offer" was 75k pounds. But he was only making 28k pounds at Valencia so no way I wanted to offer him 50k pounds per week more just to get him to transfer. But even if I didn't care about how much the offer was I couldn't offer anything but the demand or the suggested offers. To test the system I even increased the salary option to 100k pounds and I still didn't have the ability to make that ofer, and yes I had more then enough available wage budget to make it if I wanted. I should have been able to offer whatever amount I wanted as long as I was within my budgets.

If that's what's happening exactly, something is wrong. I haven't seen that. When I went to modify the wage option, I then clicked "suggest terms" and the player responded to those new terms. I have no idea why you wouldn't be able to do the same.

Oh I did manage to sell Babel for 1million in another save and only one club came in for him. Something is broke I think as selling Babel for 1million would have hosts of clubs after him.

All those other clubs must have actually seen him play before :D

If that's what's happening exactly, something is wrong. I haven't seen that. When I went to modify the wage option, I then clicked "suggest terms" and the player responded to those new terms. I have no idea why you wouldn't be able to do the same.

I haven't seen it react that way, but I may be missing it. Like I said, just trying to figure it out and the difficult to read skin isn't make it any easier for me. I'll take another look. Thanks.

Hmm, now just tried to sell Aurelio and guess what, only offers are loan offers. Offered him very cheap as well but still no joy. A worrying trend for the game.

Has anybody else had problems selling players?

Hmm, now just tried to sell Aurelio and guess what, only offers are loan offers. Offered him very cheap as well but still no joy. A worrying trend for the game.

Has anybody else had problems selling players?

Yes...but i think Miles has already covered it. He has said that it will be difficult to transfer players in the first season..and most of the offers will be to loan the player. However i have seen AI teams spend lots of money to get players from other AI teams. I tried to sell Owen, but no one was willing even when offered for free. However i had managed to sell Park for around 9 million.

Love it as always but there is one thing so far thats bugging me

on matchday I have 2d classic, not TV view, and highlights on key

so when its not showing me a highlight I always have it set on "split view" with overview and matchstats shown

but when a highlight happens it doesnt switch to the full view, it stays in split and shows me a pitch in the left side, FM10 didnt do that, I prefered it the other way

Only gripe i have is the amount of 2 on 1 situation my players have had with the goakeeper andy player always decides to do it the hard way an gos alone and ends up smashing it straight against the keeper....

Really? I've noticed my players pull the keeper way out of position and end up with a massively wide open net for the second player, only to have him dribble in, allow the keeper to close, and then do either 1) smash the ball really hard wide/high and miss from ridiculously close or 2) kick straight towards the keeper anyway, instead of the side of the WIDE OPEN goal for an easy netter.

I can't count the number of CCCs I've had like that without a goal. Things even I, a clumsy single footed baseball player could slot home with my eyes closed, are missed by professionals. From a distance they can spit further than!

Only problem I've seen with ME so far, other than wild inaccuracy in general when shooting.

The game and new features make this FM amazingly realistic. My only concern is the ME: CCC's missing, CCC's seem to be counted wrong, Wingplay overrated, ...

If these ME problems could be fixed (full game or patch, doesnt matter) than this game is going to be a thread to my social life.

Only got to play for ~ an hour last night, but here are my impressions so far.

-I like that inbox and news have been merged. In FM 2010, I found myself not reading the news as much and feeling out of touch with what was happening outside of my team.

Dislikes:

- News "Bubbles" on the Home Page. I love having the news available on the home page, but the bubble format is atrocious and a waste of space. I'd much rather have a condensed email view (like FM 2010 inbox format, but with only the headers". This would allow the main points to be displayed in half the space, and if you wanted to read the item it would still take you to the inbox.

-Home Page - I like the fact that you can now pick which sets of information you display on the home page. However, we need to be able to resize these windows, and add more if desired. For instance, If you select "Salary" for one of the displays, the window stay the same size, but theres only 4 lines of text and the rest of the space is completely wasted. Next Match and fixture list likewise have loads of wasted space (this is playing windowed as well. I'd imagine if I played full screen at 1920 x 1200 half the screen would just be solid white.). I just feel that if these widgets were customizable, I could probably get much more useful information into much less space and have the home page be so much more effective.

-Agents! - Its not that I dislike the feature, I just hate the agents themselves :p Now not only do I have players demanding money I cant give them, I now also have agents wanting money I don't have. I'm hoping agents are more reasonable/non existent in the lower leagues (haven't tried a LL team yet).

-Negotiations - Negotiations in this game still feel one sided. The AI tells me what they want, I counter with a lower offer as I feel they are unreasonable, they come back with pretty much the same offer as before. If I raise my offer to somewhere in the middle, they come back with the same offer they just gave me before. The only chance I seem to have of getting any movement at all is if I make an offer non-negotiable, but that seems to get rejected 90% of the time. Unlike FM2010, If contract negotiations break down in FM11, there is 0 chance to restart them. They just won't talk to you at all. Agent Fees seem to be almost non-negotiable, even when the agent in question has a 2 or 3 for the "fees" attribute. If negotiations come down to just squad status, which was common in FM 2010, in the demo you might as well start all over. As soon as you raise the squad status, the agent now demands higher wages to go with the squad status. We just finally agreed on the wages not 1 conversation ago!

Despite the fact that there is far more dislikes than likes atm, I still think FM 2011 will be a great game. Dislikes jump out far more than neat little features that are cool that you don't notice right away. I haven't actually played a match yet (which after only an hour is probably normal for me. I usually spend ~ 6 hours before even getting to the friendlies...lol), so I cant comment on the ME and the new Views/replay setup which from what I've heard so far is very good.

So far so good generally, some little niggles though:

1. When setting up tactics the right hand screen sometimes randomly changes from formation to player instructions if you click to see a player profile and then go back to the tqactics screen, this is quite annoying as you have to set it back to formation every time you want to look at a player in more detail when you are setting things up.

yes, I noticed this as well. please fix this, it's very annoying

How do I let my board sign a player for me? Can't find that option.

Go to make an offer for the player and there should be an option on the right of the screen where you can ask the board to deal with proceedings. This is however dependand on the club you are and the player you are trying to sign

Don't know if this is a bug but after drawing 1-1 away against Man City as Spurs the fans were annoyed because I conceded a late equaliser. Man City scored in the 76th minute, I wouldn't say that was a late equaliser, I'd say anything after the 85th minute is late...

Apart from that the demo is ace

This is interesting.

"Molde fans are expecting a comfortable win against Liverpool. The reds fans are not expecting to win the EURO cup third qualifying round second leg match and will be hoping their team can avoid embarrassment."

How on earth has the game come to that conclusion? Bear in mind I just beat them away with ten men 5-2 and I'm now playing them at Anfield.

This is interesting.

"Molde fans are expecting a comfortable win against Liverpool. The reds fans are not expecting to win the EURO cup third qualifying round second leg match and will be hoping their team can avoid embarrassment."

How on earth has the game come to that conclusion? Bear in mind I just beat them away with ten men 5-2 and I'm now playing them at Anfield.

Sounds about right to me ;)

In all seriousness you need to log this in the bug forum. That doesn't sit right.

First of all I want to say that this Demo looks very good. All oh the new features are good and I like them.

Only thing i found out by now that is bad is that there are lot of bookings.

For example my first game of season(not friendly) against Fiorentina i got 7 yellow cards and 3 red cards (Fiorentina got 2 yellow). Next game against Catania i got 6 yellow card and 2 red cards, Catania got 4 yellow cards. Now i'm leader in Seria A with 13 yellow cards( next is Roma with 7) and 5 red cards(next is Roma with 1). You will probably think that i have aggressive tackling or something. In my team instructions i have set cautious tackling and then after setting player instructions i changed to advanced instructions and set all of them easy tackling.

You should probably deal with this.

But otherwise thumbs up :)

Archived