England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

It was released about two years ago and seriously, how does our performance in the World Cup dictate when a new kit can be launched?

Surely, start of qualification for new tournament is a good time to release a kit.

True, but I don't think people are going to be half as enthusiastic about buying a new England kit now than perhaps in a few months time (February, like normal perhaps) after we've played a few more games and the World Cup is a bit further away. A bad World Cup is affecting ticket sales for Friday's game, the same will happen with kits I reckon. Fair enough on the new kit, does seem like yesterday it was released though. I liked that one :(

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They may as well not ask the question, they just want the usual 'it will be difficult / training is good / it's a challenge / no easy games / please don't hurt me' from the Manager so he may as well come out and read a prepared statement about how thoughts on the game.

Best press conference question for England was Sven and before 2006 World Cup "who are you taking to the World Cup ..." and then before he could open his mouth ".... Nancy or Ulrika" I think even Sven had a wry smile at that

God they don't half ask some stupid questions when they interview footballers/managers. Just been watching the Capello interview. "how important is it to win tomorrows game?" If I was a manager I'd just reply "that's a stupid question, stop wasting my time"

Should just get Gordon Strachan to answer the stupid media questions

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?

Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there.

"I tried to get the disappointment out of my system by going for a walk. I ended up 17 miles from home and I had to phone my wife, Lesley to come and pick me up."

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?

Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: Gordon, Do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England squad?

Strachan: I dont care, I'm Scottish

“Pahars has also caught every virus going except a computer virus and he is probably working on that even now.”

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"

Strachan: "Velocity" [walks off]

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?

Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."

Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?

Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the Coventry one, that's for sure.

“I have discovered that when you go to Anfield or Old Trafford, it pays not to wear a coloured shirt because everyone can see the stains as the pressure mounts. I always wear a white shirt so nobody sees you sweat.”

Reporter: Are you getting where you want to be with this team?

Strachan: We're not doing bad. What do you expect us to be like? We were eighth in the league last year, in the cup final and we got into Europe. I don't know where you expect me to get to. Do you expect us to win the Champions League?

Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?

Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.

I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?

Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?

Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.

Bet that's really annoying for Stuart Pearce that Loach has been moved up, U21s have got a really big game tomorrow and he's had to give up his goalkeeper so that he can warm the bench for the senior side. Kudos to the UEFA officials who put both games on the same night.

Bet that's really annoying for Stuart Pearce that Loach has been moved up, U21s have got a really big game tomorrow and he's had to give up his goalkeeper so that he can warm the bench for the senior side. Kudos to the UEFA officials who put both games on the same night.

That's a good point. Should of just called up Robinson to set on the bench, how ever much he moans.

Its ok... Jason Steele will fill that void no problem ;)

Capello coming out with some quite funny stuff yesterday.

We shall be playing a 9-1 formation tomorrow :D

"Teams play 9-1,'' he declared. "Is there a difference between 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or 9-1? That's the modern style. See Barcelona. All the players defend, all the players go forward. We played this style, always with players defending and Rooney coming into midfield.''

Basically from what he's said Rooney, Defoe, Gerrard, Milner, Barry, Jagielka, Glenn Johnson, Ashley Cole and Joe Hart are gonna start in a 442. I'd guess Walcott will start right wing. Probably Upson the other centre back.

Basically from what he's said Rooney, Defoe, Gerrard, Milner, Barry, Jagielka, Glenn Johnson, Ashley Cole and Joe Hart are gonna start in a 442. I'd guess Walcott will start right wing. Probably Upson the other centre back.

Spot on I think, that team was in the tabloids this morning. The Sun apoplectic that, had Lampard and Terry been fit, then probably only the goalkeeper would have been changed.

I don't quite get how this is so difficult, really. Front four of Gerrard off Rooney, Johnson and Walcott/Milner on the wings. Each of them playing the same role they are used to with their clubs (yeah, yeah, Milner's a cm now, blah, blah) and should be very comfortable. Put Carrick/Huddlestone in the middle to get the ball to the front four with someone alongside him to run around and win the ball. If I were England manager I'd probably line up like this (assuming full squad without injuries) :

-----------------------------------Hart----------------------------

Johnson--------Ferdinand----------Terry-------------Cole

----------------Carrick-------------Barry-----------------------

Milner--------------------Gerrard------------------Johnson

----------------------------Rooney-----------------------------

Can't remember a better midfielder for the Barry role atm, might be worth putting Milner in there unless City use him solely as a winger and Walcott on the wing. He'd bring the running and harassing that I'd want in there. Anyway, every player in the team playing in a position that they play week in, week out. Could even switch the wingers around like Mancini seems to like and make a lot of room for Cole and Johnson to go forward.

With the current squad you could play that exact line-up but switch out the cb's. But that would probably make too much sense, eh?

Honestly every time we play one upfront Rooney gets too isolated and is forced to track back into midfield to get the ball. We see this time and time again the midfield lot playing too deep and not supporting him. Really not sure why people persist on playing 4-2-3-1. When we play that we seem to just give the ball to Rooney and expect him to run past 4 defenders and score. He really can't do that and he gets over marked too easily. On paper it looks great in practice we boo and moan.

At half time we tend to change it to 442 with either Defoe or Crouch coming on and that seems to sparks us to life. The 4-2-3-1 just doesn't work for us as the wingers (Walcott/Johnson) don't cut inside or move in to support Rooney, they hug the touch line and go for the cross with nothing but a 10 stone over weight shrek to aim for. This is why Cole and Johnson occupy Walcott and Johnson space because Walcott and Johnson don't move in. They stay wide.

442 to start. When we are comfortable then change to 4231 to hold onto the game.

I honestly don't know how Upson keeps getting in the starting XI. He was dire last season and dire at the WC.

Give youth a chance etc ... and he keeps playing Upson :thdn:

I don't like Lescott and he had just as average a season as Upson last season but he has played with Jagielka before. Surely you'd play them two from that squad.

Archived