England - The Road to 2012 (now featuring Wayne Rooney) but not his touch

jmr

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's true. England play much better with only one of Lampard and Gerrard in the side. The reason being they are the same player and that limits the variation needed to beat the best sides. Playing either of them wide is a waste of time and neither are as creative as Rooney. Walcott, A Young, Johnson and Milner much better options wide.

Because when the 3 play together they all get in each others way

Rooney dropping off and the other 2 going forward,

with 2 of them they can usually accommodate each other,

with 3 it all gets squeezed, and there is no width to provide an out ball

To be fair, the only way that you could have both lampard and gerrard playing in the middle would to play a 4-5-1 with, say, barry as a DM. As far as Rooney, he moves all over the space so I think its more of Lampard and Gerrard doing the same thing and making the same runs.

Nice goal for adam johnson.

Agreed... and I personally feel you could swap Barry for Lampard and it wouldn't hinder the team at all.

With regards to Gerrard and Lamps in the centre. Gerrard needs that discipline to stay back and cover Lampard while he bombs forward like he does for Chelsea. Otherwise I don't think Lamps/Gerrard combo will work.

The only player I feel that is able to cover Barry defensively in the centre is Milner and Huddlestone. Carrick to me just doesn't get stuck in while making tackles or press as hard. He tends to stand off more.

With regards to Gerrard and Lamps in the centre. Gerrard needs that discipline to stay back and cover Lampard while he bombs forward like he does for Chelsea. Otherwise I don't think Lamps/Gerrard combo will work.

The only player I feel that is able to cover Barry defensively in the centre is Milner and Huddlestone. Carrick to me just doesn't get stuck in while making tackles or press as hard. He tends to stand off more.

Would put Huddlestone there in an instant

But that shackles Gerrard from playing his natural game, and he's not a s good as Barry, Huddlestone or Carrick in that holding/quaterback roll

Archived