The Official Football Manager 2010 DEMO FEEDBACK Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Italian season starts later than the English one, so your players were probably in much better condition than theirs - they wouldn't have had so much pre-season training.

I've often found this in previous FMs to be the case also.

Good point. Reminds me of when we beat Roma 5-0 and and everyone at the Lane got dizzy on the high. What happened next?

2 points. 8 games.

Hi SI Guys,

I know people have a much greater tendendy to post negatives/bugs/errors/etc, so wanted to take the time to say a huge thank-you! Downlaoded the game via steam, no problems, and super fast, installed it with no problems, loaded it up with no problems, haven't spotted any bugs (yet!), haven't had it crash, can't find anything to moan about, and am really really impressed. It's fair to say the next few months of my life are now spoken for, so thank you for all your hard work and efforts - i have a sneaking feeling that FM2010 is going to go down as a classic....

I really think you have missed the point here (sorry if that sounds rude - it's not meant to be!)

- The tactics creator allows you to talk football rather than sliders, which is surely better.

- The small changes are made within the context of your overall framework, hence you get the desired result straight from brain to game without having to translate, or mis-translate.

- Because of the two points above and the fact that major changes can be made within seconds you actually GAIN control, rather than lose it. If you see something wrong on the pitch you can change it almost as fast as you can think it, which means you will be able to react to situations on the fly, rather than being stuck to your preset tactics.

I'm not going to argue against that, but evenso, in the end, there are still the ME's same mechanics lying underneath. It's no different from any game, in the end, FM is an abstraction of what football really is, but when it really comes down to the mechanics themselves, it's still a workaround rather than an explanation. I'm sure you can do a great deal with the new settings, but there's no way you can further tweak this to your heart's content if you don't understand the game on its most basic level - the exact effect of sliders and tickboxes underneath respectively, which still are the most immediate connection between you and the match engine. It never had to be this vague, and this video demonstrates this nicely.

The tactics creator is talking between you and the ME in a higher level language as the sliders did before - whereas the sliders are supposed to connect immediately with what's happening on the pitch, he're you're giving instructions that are less abstract and thus easier to understand, but they're also less immediate and less refined at the same time. And either way, they don't explain the most basic of mechanics in the ME, thus I call this a workaround. Ideally, you should be able to define player roles yourself, rather than picking them from a list of pre-defined settings - or trial&erroring your way through a bunch of never really fully explained slider effects that might be connected to each other in ways the manual doesn't cover. That is all, really. :)

So here I go:

- the speed looks way better so far the previous versions, (will see at the full release when i load up 20 + leagues with my amd sempron 3000+ running 2.0ghz, 1GB ddr ram, if it's still performing on this same ratio then i say a wonderful job SI )

miracle work more like. You simply can't expect that setup to run 20+ leagues at any decent speed...

I agreed a deal to sign a 32 yr old player with no announced intention of retiring, but my board cancelled it due to our not requiring another assistant manager- I was signing him as a player not an assistant. I remember this in FM09, i'm really surprised its still in the new one tbh. :(

I agreed a deal to sign a 32 yr old player with no announced intention of retiring, but my board cancelled it due to our not requiring another assistant manager- I was signing him as a player not an assistant. I remember this in FM09, i'm really surprised its still in the new one tbh. :(

But did you offer him a player/assistant manager contract?

You have done without realising as that was what he was asking for?

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THIS GAME LOOKS BRILLIANT. AHHHHHHHHH. SO MUCH AWESOME I CAN'T CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT. WOOOOOHOOOOO.

I can't wait for the rippling nets in the Mac version. Everything looks so so so much better than FM09, and I loved that. This is just awesome. The UI is pretty confusing atm but it's simply a matter of getting used to it.

One question. When viewing a player's report card after he's scouted, FM09 had an option to examine the report card at the various positions he can play at. I don't seem to be able to do that on FM10? Am I just missing it or was it removed?

The different positions for reports is still there, top right of the screen next to which coach you want to give the report

Aplogies if any of this has been said, but a few points on the layout. Generally its good and I'll get used to it - it still 'feels' like FM. (not sure how they do that, guess its like a favourite restaurant moving everything and redecorating but somehow keeping it how you like it).

Anyway, two things - firstly, in a player's profile, the 'personal', 'contract', and 'transfer' screens have way too much white space. We learn in school to fill space up like that.

Secondly - on the 'comparison' screen, how small is the overview graph!? If two players are very similar (admittedly you would use more indepth methods of comparison in this instance) then the lines are indistinguishable.

There also seems to be a lot more clicks, I have to say, especially in a match screen. To access say 'player ratings', seems a lot more faff, with smaller buttons to go for. If you're using a track pad I'm not sure this works.

Imagine I'll get used to it, but just a few thoughts.

On the other hand, the ME is incomparible, even at this early stage. Just hope my laptop has enough power to run the full version properly.

It's great. SI and the testers have all done an excellent job so far :)

It's just so polished and filled with neat little touches and additions. Thank you all. A very sincere thank you :)

However, there must always be a "but" :D, so.....

I can't seem to get my FM09 graphics to work on this one? I cut and pasted the graphics folder from 09 to MyDocuments/Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010 Demo and restarted the game. None of them show up in-game. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Cheers :)

It's just so polished and filled with neat little touches and additions. Thank you all. A very sincere thank you :)

I can't seem to get my FM09 graphics to work on this one? I cut and pasted the graphics folder from 09 to MyDocuments/Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010 Demo and restarted the game. None of them show up in-game. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Cheers :)

I mite be wrong but just try putting graphics folder in sportsinteractive folder not fm10 demo 1 if you get me

I'm not going to argue against that, but evenso, in the end, there are still the ME's same mechanics lying underneath. It's no different from any game, in the end, FM is an abstraction of what football really is, but when it really comes down to the mechanics themselves, it's still a workaround rather than an explanation. I'm sure you can do a great deal with the new settings, but there's no way you can further tweak this to your heart's content if you don't understand the game on its most basic level - the exact effect of sliders and tickboxes underneath respectively, which still are the most immediate connection between you and the match engine. It never had to be this vague, and this video demonstrates this nicely.

The tactics creator is talking between you and the ME in a higher level language as the sliders did before - whereas the sliders are supposed to connect immediately with what's happening on the pitch, he're you're giving instructions that are less abstract and thus easier to understand, but they're also less immediate and less refined at the same time. And either way, they don't explain the most basic of mechanics in the ME, thus I call this a workaround. Ideally, you should be able to define player roles yourself, rather than picking them from a list of pre-defined settings - or trial&erroring your way through a bunch of never really fully explained slider effects that might be connected to each other in ways the manual doesn't cover. That is all, really. :)

Agree with the above - but I would like the option to have the sliders available. I don't want generic settings. As much as possible I will still be tweaking away and defining my team through each player's mentality. I do think that the 'basic' option should have used the list of options and the 'advanced' should have allowed access to the team mentality sliders etc. Hope the subtlty of tactical options you could create in 09 is still there, but only experiments will tell.

Have you checked the settings for "skin cache" and "always reload skin"?

Agree with the above - but I would like the option to have the sliders available. I don't want generic settings. As much as possible I will still be tweaking away and defining my team through each player's mentality.

The problem isn't the sliders -

isn't doing them in notches of 20, no, in 99! It's that they're being explained in such vague terms that even some of the most ardent of fans are talking about them as if they believed them to do this an that, and every once in a while there are whisperings about a word from the officials that tickbox x is supposed to override this and that but only in certain situations of play but please don't tell anyone.

Wow SI being one of your biggest critics on FM09 and how dissapointed i was, you have turned this game round to the standards i expected from you guys and boy have you delivered.

The whole game feels fresh and vibrante and the tactics system is mind blowing and the 3d match engine has been improved and the stadium is a neat touch.

Very user friendly and the assistant tool is a wicked asset and the list goes on and on.

You have converted me back and i salute you.

Kind Regards

A diehard fan :)

I didn't get an answer in the Data Issues thread so I guess I should ask here. Are the non-playable squads in the vanilla demo the same as they are going to be in the final version? Because the Cray squad has only 2 players in it, both of them loanees at Erith.

Big fan of the custom views on the player roster screens. The 3D action is smooth as silk (not bragging) on my laptop (4.5 stars). I had another ball off the woodwork in my second match. That makes 4 in two games. Not a huge concern for me just like it was not in 09. I really like that when a ball is struck with venom, that it sure does look like it! Already 5 guys hurt in 2 weeks. Hoping it isn't the INJURY BUG from 09 again. The tactics creator is pretty cool and seems like a step back to the good old days for me. Jury still out on the press conferences. Unless the programmers are putting in thousands upon thousands of questions that can be built upon from press conference to press conference, I'm not sure if this is a module that I'm going to get a whole lot out of, though sitting with your new signings is pretty cool. I tend to sign lots of players so that might get old fast. Backroom advice also seems cool, if it works properly, but obviously only time will tell with that. I was on the fence with buying this version (first time ever for that), but I liked what I saw enough to pre-order it. And that's without even getting a taste of the editor, which could be one of the biggest aspects of the game, provided it isn't too cumbersome to navigate through.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Yes.

In the full version this will be possible (if I recall correctly from the Blogs)

In the day 7 blog' date=' "Before I get bombarded with questions on our forums (community.sigames.com) like "will my old tactics still work?" and "what if I want to use the old system?" the answer to both questions is yes. You can also share your tactics created with the new tactics creator too."

So that means in the full version I can import my FM 09 tactics?? Or is FrazT right?

Yes due to the changes with the tactics creator and ME, they are not compatibl.

Anyways, I love the new 3D match engine, Massive improvement in graphics from FM 09! woo!

I didn't get an answer in the Data Issues thread so I guess I should ask here. Are the non-playable squads in the vanilla demo the same as they are going to be in the final version? Because the Cray squad has only 2 players in it, both of them loanees at Erith.

The data will be the same unless correct information is given in the Data forum before the first patch is released.

Ref Tactics from 09- info given by the SI staff last night did say that the 09 tactics were not compatible so now I am confused:confused: Personally I cannot see how they can be given the changes but.......

Well, now you got me confused as well :D

I thought that 09 tactics weren't compatible with the demo but would be compatible with the full version of 10 (as Miles explained in the blog).

By the way, the engine itself indeed flows nicely, a far cry from when the demo of FM09 was released. For some reason the texture of the pitch itself

in FM09, didn't it? I downloaded the vanilla demo, and there only seems to be one style of pitch available anyway, a rather plain greenish one, which leads me to believe there is something more cut than player pictures, logos, leagues and the like.

kinda begs the question why haven't you sold him yet.... it's LUCAS

Lucas is an underated player. So far he's on a average of 7.25. I'm on the 30th of november. :)

80% pass completion

5 Goals

10 Assists. He's a good little player.

Just another little note, it does seem pretty easy in parts. I'm smashing teams 5-0 week in week out as liverpool. Only signed RVN (Scored 8 goals in 20 games ) and i've scored 34 goals in 14 games in the league.. Seems abit easy, if that's the right words. Or, the tactics are fantastic.

Gerrard has scored 21 goals in 21 games, too. :thup:

(General comments that aren't really useful :p)

• SI Staff

No you're using a quick start which won't have all of the players in the game loaded. You'll be able to load the Cray squad with the full game.

preferences__display settings____untick use skin cahe_____tick reload skin on confirm

Does anyone else's 3D screen go jerky when you're waiting for a new tactical instruction to be implemented? It might just be my old computer, but it's absolutely fine at all other times.

I have a top-end machine and this happens to me.

Release of the demo as always has led to me wandering back over here to see what the crack is on the forums. Have to say the feedback is more positive than last year which can only be a good thing.

I'm very much liking the new GUI, I usually take a while to get used to these kind of navigational changes but I'm finding it more intuitive than the previous setup. Not ventured too far into the game yet but have to say I'm very impressed, particularly with the heightened role that staff members seem to have been given, feels like I'm actually part of the club now.

I'm off to get stuck in as Peterborough. Wonder when the patch is out.......joking of course!

After having a quick play around with the demo, would it possible to include dribbles or runs past an opponent in the match analysis tool? either in a patch or FM11. You've got everything else in there :thup:

Despite your ridiculous name (:D), that is a pretty good call.

Hi,

I'm playing on a Macbook 13'' running 10.5 and I have always played the game in windowed mode. Installed the demo no problem yesterday and switched the display to windowed in preferences but the window that the game displays in is too deep by about 50 pixels or so.

As I can't see the bottom of the screen I can't see if I can reduce the size of the window down manually but the main problem is which with the window being too large I'm missing some of the buttons off the bottom of the screen. I've tried changing the resolution of the screen to see if that helps but it didn't work.

I know I'm in a small minority playing the game on a Mac but any help solving this problem would be appreciated.

WOW, TOTALLY BRILLIANT, WELL DONE SI :-)

I have been playing the series for years and my game experience goes way back to the first championship manager game many many years back, it seems that every year you guys make a true master piece that we all must wonder, how on earth can they beat that next year!!!! BUT YOU HAVE YET AGAIN PRODUCED A MASTERPIECE, i am hooked, it is the best version by far and you all deserve a huge pat on the back.

MY ONLY PROBLEM IS THE FINANCES FOR EVERTON, ONLY £4M TO SPEND, I KNOW WE HAVE MORE THAN THAT LADS. Apart from that, i cant fault the game atall, well done all involved, heres to release day :-)

Archived