Poll: FM 2008, playable or not?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tactics are crap the games crap unless your just wanting to work out how a program works and have no interest in football spend your time and money on a sky dish because theres no beautiful game here . but you guniuses have heard it all before . i think playing chess would be more satisfying . queen takes bishop wow

Playable, have won the league and champs league with everton two years on the trot.

However the match engine is awful, and any sense of realism is long gone.

I play because even with the horrendous match engine and sackful of bugs it's still the only football management sim worth buying. SI should count their blessings that they don't have a decent rival at the moment, otherwise I think FM08 would have seen alot of people jump ship.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by New_Xieland:

Its definitely playable... but is it fun?

I must confess that FM 08 has been a frustrating experience for me, namely because of the buggy match engine - first with the closing down bug and now the 30+ shots bug.

I loved FM 07 and couldn't get away from it, a thoroughly addictive experience. With 08 however it's far from that.

I must confess that it's the first time that I have felt compelled to set the FM Series aside and give the likes of Fifa Manager and Championship Manager 08 a go.

PS. Getting Fifa Manager this weekend - will report back on it in the near future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will be quite surprised by FIFA Manager when you already think FM is far from reality. Seriously that game is for KIDS up to 14 only. Had all FIFA Managers up to 05 and 08 still has the same bugs as they did.

Without Patch

Evil Unplayable

With Patch

Haven't tried it yet but hoping it will redeem this game, I've been a fan a long time and this is the first time I've been this frustrated and aggrevated with this series.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tal_Hides:

Playable! Every patch has been playable.

It drives you mad, it makes you tear your hair out and is probably sending us all to an early grave through stress, but no matter how annoying some of the bugs or issues are, I always go back for more! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what he said !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blue Flag:

Unplayable - but FM07.02 is so brilliant I'm happy having returned to that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It makes you realise quite what a stupendous game 7.02 is icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having also just gone back to 7.02, I'm amazed by the speed difference. I've had to turn the match speed down 3 notches, because it was so fast, it felt like watching pinball compared to FM08!

So far, the only thing I actually miss from 08 is the additional detail on the confidence screen, and given the problems there are with that anyway, its hardly a big loss.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aston_martin:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

God yes.

The FM07 patches were excellent icon14.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They certainly were! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

People have very short memories on here.

Playable if you enjoy managing teams who don't score any goals despite having 15-20 shots on goal and concede nearly every shot against you.

Just downloaded 8.01 patch, started a challege with Bari with a decent team, lost my first 3 friendlies agianst part time teams from Switzerlan, without scoring a goal despite having over 40 shots on goal in the combined three matches.

Whoever programmed this game and the patch is a clown.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The question should really be "Is it enjoyable?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not as much as previous versions. icon13.gif

Personally did not like FM07 and stopped playing shortly after second patch. FM 06 is the best one for me. Was worried about this new version and what direction SI was going with the game in terms of "realism"/fun. Tried the game with beta 1-2 and saw a great deal of potential that had me very excited about the coming full path. Now i only have disappointment left.

Don't have time or patience for these kind of aggravation anymore. On plain love for the series i will give them one more chance with the second patch which is hopefully arriving soon.

If i bye another FM game i will definitely wait until January before i have a look at the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aston_martin:

God yes.

People have very short memories on here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't, I thought the patches were excellent especially 7.0.2

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

God yes.

People have very short memories on here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do I icon_confused.gif?

There were issues with FM07 out of the box, but the final version of FM07 was excellent. Doesn't that mean that the patches were good? (or was the first patch carp aqnd the second one good?) icon_confused.gif

Altough FM07 was patched I still had conceded way too many goals because of throw ins which went directly to the opponents (they didn't even have to challenge for it, they were just given the ball). Looks like a slight issue to me.

Together with the fact that in FM07 a duel between a defender and attacker almost always was won by the defender resulting in some ping-pong on the midfield I must confess I'm more impressed by FM08 at the moment as I expect it improves even further when the next patch will come out.

I never enjoyed FM07. I think it was just too easy and un-real. all you had to do is bring one realy fast striker, set him to run with ball and he did wonders.

more arcade then simulation.

08 ME has impresed me, how much more real it looks like. I also believe these bugs we have, are due to more sophisticated match engine of 08.

7.0.2 was excellent.

7.0.1 had many problems (such as players immediately leaving their contracts if they rejected your offer).

Same thing will happen with 08 as well: the final patch will be excellent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope so icon14.gif.

I can't remember that "leaving contract thingy". Maybe I didn't encounter it or maybe was just too stupid to notice.

Guest nathan1712

Playable if you don't have high blood pressure and a weak heart and breakables near by, he says with urge to kill rising as we fail to score again after 20 shots on target

I've only just in the past week installed and starting playing FM08.

It's certainly playable but to be honest I am quite shocked at how poor it is. It just seems so unpolished and slightly chaotic.

My biggest complaint is that the 2D match engine looks like it's gone backwards in it's development. 7.0.2 seemed slick and smooth, whilst the 2D in FM08 looks ... quite frankly ridiculous. It's jerky, unrealistic and not at all impressive.

I'm very surprised. Every year I hear the usual suspects ranting and raving about what a poor effort the latest version is, but I generally find that after a few hours of playing I'm as hooked as ever and enjoying the new features. But FM08 just feels like a massive step backwards.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Riza:

I agree, 7.0.2 was fabulous.

I was having a blast with Melbourne Victory in the A-League. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

agree. altough players with good jumping owned.same did wing tactic with crossing into the tower in the middle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The 13th Duke of Wybourne:

NOT PLAYABLE!

Gamebreaking bugs.

The registration bug completely destroys the game if you want to play Spanish leagues.

Registration was fine in FM07 why it is suddenly broken in next version?

FM2007 7.0.2 rules! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. I have to start my Real Madrid game yet

• 4 weeks later...

FM08 will have 2 patches. Last one will be out in late February. I think that lack of patches and unbalanced match engine makes game not enjoyable. IMO

I would prefer constant flow of patches. Of course those patches would be smaller. Now I have to wait 5 months after release until I can get exciting career game without irritating bugs and data errors.

Life is life. icon_biggrin.gif

Unplayable.

I’ve gone back to 7.2. I miss the coach reports on your own players, it’s hard to sell anyone whatsoever, the match engine has it’s faults but at least they pale into insignificance next to FM8’s ME.

I’ll probably give FM8 another go when patch two comes out, but I’ll need a new disc after whacking my first one with a nearby size 11 training shoe. Don’t play FM8 after a visit to the pub is my advice. Not if you get as annoyed as I do with matches finishing with one scoring chance every two minutes, with shots bouncing off giant billiard ball goalkeepers for open goals and goalkeeper distribution from the Kindergarten.

I guess "technically playable".

For me not playable at the moment. (Shot rations, transfer market and disastrous regens)

Hopefully the long awaited patch delivers.

I will not be buying next release though unless it is absolutely top notch release. Maybe FM2010 than or not.

Archived