Dear Si, Miles, mods and developers

Hello. Just gonna ask few simple questions here. Please to move this thread where it belongs, but I feel this is a logical place for it.

So my few questions are:

- Have you read any feedback from "Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread" thread? The lack of 'developers' and 'key people' ( sorry mods, but most of you have nothing to do with the game design and you rarely count for anything ) who are there is, honestly, disturbing for me. There's 4.5k comments there, how many of them are positive?

- Have you read your Steam reviews, or you going simply by "Very positive" is good enough? Like, people are using it to troll. This is a picture of a first page of steam reviews.

2dtaA3i.png

All 'recommended', but is it really?

As someone who fell in love with the game in 2009, I feel this is the most inconsistent version of Football Manager franchise ( I won't even call it a new game, because it is not. You stopped with the new games long time ago, all you do now is 'reskin' ) and I feel generally scared what Football Manager might look like not in the distant future, but next year.

- How is it possible that some the most important functions ( like recruitment focus ) are so bad? You can have best staff in the world, but it does not matter. Last year I did some experimenting with some basic attributes like 'consistency' and 'important matches', and I came to a conclusion that they don't matter and that was pretty consistent in my testing. Penalty taking, free kick taking, corner taking.. do they even matter in FM24? What does leadership do? Does your team play better when your captain has great 'leadership'? Or is it simply their only duty to complain at you when a) you ask them to do something b) be an ambassador for the dumbest thing I've ever seen in Football Manager, like your top division team plays against almost amateurs, get a scrappy wins on penalties and then you say " we need to do better against better teams " they get mad and say "cmon, this is a 21st century, you can't talk like that" ( I kid you not).

Like, seriously, I can type and type and type. Just go to the General Feedback thread and try to address some of the issues, if you even care about your game anymore.

9 minutes ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello @LingLing

Of course we read feedback from our users. It's a core part of my job, everyday I read the Feedback Thread, I read the Positive/Negative steam reviews, (or any other platform we get reviews) I check other websites such as Twitter & Reddit for sentiment, log Feature Requests posts by our users and so on.

Hello. Is it possible to DM you? I'd like to ask some questions if that is alright.

2 hours ago, LingLing said:

( sorry mods, but most of you have nothing to do with the game design and you rarely count for anything )

Firstly this bit is very disrespectful,

Secondly I echo parsdaft1982, if you are finding so many faults and the game is so inconsistent, don't play it, monitor how it develops and if it gets to a level of your liking, pick it up again. Personally, I would never let a game get me so angry as it does with some on here.

Edited by starbugg

2 ore fa, LingLing ha scritto:

2dtaA3i.png

To be honest, all those reviews seem jokingly positive to me. I don't see a trollish attitude at all.

3 hours ago, LingLing said:

Hello. Just gonna ask few simple questions here. Please to move this thread where it belongs, but I feel this is a logical place for it.

So my few questions are:

- Have you read any feedback from "Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread" thread? The lack of 'developers' and 'key people' ( sorry mods, but most of you have nothing to do with the game design and you rarely count for anything ) who are there is, honestly, disturbing for me. There's 4.5k comments there, how many of them are positive?

- Have you read your Steam reviews, or you going simply by "Very positive" is good enough? Like, people are using it to troll. This is a picture of a first page of steam reviews.

2dtaA3i.png

As someone who fell in love with the game in 2009, I feel this is the most inconsistent version of Football Manager franchise ( I won't even call it a new game, because it is not. You stopped with the new games long time ago, all you do now is 'reskin' ) and I feel generally scared what Football Manager might look like not in the distant future, but next year.

- How is it possible that some the most important functions ( like recruitment focus ) are so bad? You can have best staff in the world, but it does not matter. Last year I did some experimenting with some basic attributes like 'consistency' and 'important matches', and I came to a conclusion that they don't matter and that was pretty consistent in my testing. Penalty taking, free kick taking, corner taking.. do they even matter in FM24? What does leadership do? Does your team play better when your captain has great 'leadership'? Or is it simply their only duty to complain at you when a) you ask them to do something b) be an ambassador for the dumbest thing I've ever seen in Football Manager, like your top division team plays against almost amateurs, get a scrappy wins on penalties and then you say " we need to do better against better teams " they get mad and say "cmon, this is a 21st century, you can't talk like that" ( I kid you not).

Like, seriously, I can type and type and type. Just go to the General Feedback thread and try to address some of the issues, if you even care about your game anymore.

Its a game, grow up and show some respect ffs

tbf, most Steam reviews for games are filled with a bunch of people making the same copy-paste joke template comment, hoping to get votes on being the funniest comment. Mostly the general format of 'seemingly negative comment - subversive twist to positive outcome with the overall joke being the contradiction itself' or the other way around, and then fit it to the context of the game if you have to. Stuff like 'this game ruined my marriage and my kids won't speak to me anymore. I love it so much'. You just eventually become numb to them. I'm guessing the SI employees that have to read them tune these out too.

At least Juan went to some effort.

Steam reviews are satire in itself:

• Doesn't recommend game >> has +1k hours
  • After an hour doesn't recommend it >> for FM, you'd just have pressed the continue button. Other games, such as from PDX, fall in the same category
  • Game is slow >> plays on a potato from the cold war era 
  • Review bombing, because... reasons! 

Steam are a business that sells games . Of course they are going to talk it up as they have paid for them . The best revues are always on default . You have to search for the bad ones . Revues from other companies like IGN or PC Gamer types are done as soon as the game is released and then never heard from again . The Gaming world is corrupt like the Music Industry . Paid for revues are prevalent just like music . Its Mafia controlled from the USA . Ever wonder why music is the way it is now ( no rock n roll ) . As for this forum it's no wonder they don't come on here as the abuse some people give is disgusting.  But you do get passionate as I have done and regretted it . Unfortunately there are some good companies out there that get lost in the vast universe of corruption . SI is from my point of view a good company but they have lied at at times to the buyers . J -League for example ? Live and learn that you can't fool the public . But finishing this little rant is that not all games have forums that are as prolific as this . I bet this has got to be one of the biggest so to say they don't read it they would be idiotic not to . It's a great way to monitor the game out there in the public domain . Can't wait for FM25

Edited by alian62

There is very, very little point in the modern day in reviews for something that is so subjective.  Music, film, gaming...it doesn't matter.  The only opinion you should trust is your own.  Granted, for gaming that's now a lot harder as most developers now refuse to offer demos to let you form that.  SI don't though, and they deserve credit for that.

When reviews become a weapon to be wielded (with review bombing) or a means to try out the same old unoriginal shtick that's been fired out a million times before (Steam...largely tragic), or bought and paid for by a developer, then what's the point?

And in this specific case...people largely need to relax.  It's really not a big deal if something you once liked changes.  Just move on and find something that is worth your time rather than writing like a jilted lover with a tenuous grip on reality.

Edited by forameuss

14 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I am sorry who are you again? Your view too counts for nothing. So don’t expect a lot of devs to come in running to engage with you.

Who am I? I'm the guy who spends money on Football Manager every year, and my opinion counts for nothing? Brilliant, just brilliant

3 minutes ago, LingLing said:

Who am I? I'm the guy who spends money on Football Manager every year, and my opinion counts for nothing? Brilliant, just brilliant

Yeah, you can't really have it both ways.  You can't come out and outright say that certain people don't matter, then get all haughty when they put up a mirror.  You matter as much as everyone else who plays the game matters.  

Although to be honest, you don't matter.  I don't matter.  No single opinion on this board matters in the grand scheme of things.  The collective matters, but ultimately SI have a direction they're going to go in.

18 hours ago, LingLing said:

So my few questions are:

2dtaA3i.png

First thing to realise is when it comes to Steam reviews, there's a good bunch of people who post them just trying to be funny.  

I'm even guilty of that myself with my review of Phasmophobia which is a recommended review with the comment "10/10, would poop my pants again", although I do genuinely recommend the game if anyone asks.

I do agree that player interactions still needs much work.  It is improved over FM23, but that is a very low bar and not improved enough.  Overall though, FM24 has been a success by whichever metric you look at it.  I personally think it's the best version in years, and possibly ever.  This is certainly the most fun I've had playing it since FM10 which was my personal favourite of the series previously.  Player numbers are up, matches played are up and all the rest of it.  Yes, it's not perfect but it's definitely on the right track when taken as an overall package.  What will be interesting is how FM25 pans out with the upcoming move to the Unity engine.

1 minute ago, kevhamster said:

I do agree that player interactions still needs much work.  It is improved over FM23, but that is a very low bar and not improved enough.  Overall though, FM24 has been a success by whichever metric you look at it.  I personally think it's the best version in years, and possibly ever.  This is certainly the most fun I've had playing it since FM10 which was my personal favourite of the series previously.  Player numbers are up, matches played are up and all the rest of it.  Yes, it's not perfect but it's definitely on the right track when taken as an overall package.  What will be interesting is how FM25 pans out with the upcoming move to the Unity engine.

And this shows why it's a complete crap-shoot when trying to gain opinions on a game from complete strangers.  It's so incredibly subjective.  You're completely valid in your personal opinion on the game, just like someone who doesn't enjoy it is valid in theirs.  The problem comes when you try and take your own opinion, extrapolate it over some group of people that may or may not even exist, and talk like it's the clear truth when it's an opinion often laced with insane hyperbole.

18 hours ago, LingLing said:

So my few questions are:

2dtaA3i.png

You're getting a hammering here, so i'm going to try to be pleasant. I understand that people are looking for perfection in all walks of life - not just this game but the burger you buy in the morning, the day at work you have, the partner you come home to & the pint of cider you have on the evening (probably the most important of all those) ;-) 

By asking for feedback from a good team of people who you put down in one sweeping comment, is not going to endear you to them. I think they've been pretty kind to reply to you at all. For my personal opinion of the game, it's the best by a country mile. I wouldn't even consider an alternative. One day maybe? Maybe but I don't see that day anywhere soon where a rival game touches FM. Have I got things I would change? You bet. I'd like my star players to stop complaining when I drop them for a match, then go to a team two leagues lower for less money & accept a 'fringe player' role. I'd also like to get my target transfers but lose out once again to a team two divisions lower for a lot less than I was offering. Does it bug me? Sure, but i'm sure if you asked every player on here & everyone on the SI team - even Miles, i'm sure they would have their own tweaks they would like for the game. 

We're never going to get perfection - just like the partner & the pint of cider you go home to. (The cider issue could be resolved if your partner had remembered to put it in the fridge of course.) ;-)

Seriously, I know lots of things can be frustrating. It most probably isn't worth getting worked up about. The mods & developers can't work on all the requests made, else they'd be working round the clock for years & the resulting game from that would be totally different and full of bugs, and nobody wants that. 

Take care buddy 

Congratulations on the most pointlessly aggressive post  I've seen for quite some time. Impressive.

Honestly, Paying attention to Steam Ratings is like getting your news from Twitter, Usually incorrect, Biased and greatly exaggerated.

2 hours ago, forameuss said:

Who's buying a burger in the morning you madman?

One of the things I love about Car Boot Sales is it's the only place where you can buy a burger at 8.30am and nobody bats an eye.

Outside from FM community, you can see that wrong behaviour in many societies. My generation, and previous generation have failed to learn and teach some basics things; and one of them is what means money. Have been expressed here as well "I am the one which buys the product, so I demand to work for me to fill my pleasure, and I will insult you in public that you failed". This wrong. Seriously and dangerous wrong.

No mate. Because you have bought something, you don't own SEGA or SI. You don't own the people which work there. You don't own the community with point a finger "there are trolls". What you own is a digital product 01110 from people which made it with passion or not, with love or not, others see it as 09:00 - 17:00 job - others not, from someone which brings the food to the table from this job or not, from someone younger than you and me which have vision and dreams or not. You earn respect, you don't demand it.

The whole thread is an example to press the brake pendal. Take a break. Including me.

Peace! ;)

3 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

One of the things I love about Car Boot Sales is it's the only place where you can buy a burger at 8.30am and nobody bats an eye.

Airports too, the only place you can order a burger and beer in sweatpants at 8 in the morning and everyone is perfectly fine with it! :D 

I kinda agree with the OP, as I was a mod/admin on one the fan sites somewhere back between 2011 and 2015 or so

To mods, ok, you police the forum and check for spam etc etc, but really, do you have any influence over the game development, besides the beta testing the new versions?

45 minutes ago, SkaldfraNorden said:

I kinda agree with the OP, as I was a mod/admin on one the fan sites somewhere back between 2011 and 2015 or so

To mods, ok, you police the forum and check for spam etc etc, but really, do you have any influence over the game development, besides the beta testing the new versions?

Nope, that’s why I said to the OP that we have the same level of influence.

A smal caveat is that we’ve been here a while, so our opinions _might_ carry more weight in some cases, but I doubt we can influence much in general.

42 minutes ago, XaW said:

Nope, that’s why I said to the OP that we have the same level of influence.

A smal caveat is that we’ve been here a while, so our opinions _might_ carry more weight in some cases, but I doubt we can influence much in general.

Fair enough, thanks

Also, to be clear, outside of this point he made, however blunt and maybe clumsy it was, the rest of the post is tantrum, but the most of the commenters in the thread focused on this

Like Jose Mourinho, I'm not the most polished participant in this forum, but I try to tell myself that SI developers and moderators also have feelings...

Steam recommendations follow a Likert scale if I'm not mistaken. I'm not entirely happy with FM either, but between "not recommend" and "recommend", I definitely "recommend" it.

:onmehead:

37 minutes ago, SkaldfraNorden said:

Fair enough, thanks

Also, to be clear, outside of this point he made, however blunt and maybe clumsy it was, the rest of the post is tantrum, but the most of the commenters in the thread focused on this

As Zach wrote in one of the first post in this thread, they read everything. I do think, however, a well thought out comment positive or negative, will be taken more into consideration than a random rant.

Many people in here who have has posted good feedback, made bug reports, and generally been constructive in any criticism has been asked by SI to test thing further. None of us mods (unless they have an SI badge) are paid by SI, we do this for fun. We are just people who have been around a while and helped out others as well as reporting bugs and have had a lot to say about the game, both positive and negative. Many of us mods are even more negative than many others in here, but we always are respectful to the devs and give suggestions to how we think it would be improved. Some of my suggestions in the suggestions forum are now in the game too, did my report alone do it? Doubtful, but what I asked for is now in the game. Other things I've suggested are not... My point is, negative feedback is a good thing if it's done right, in most cases even better than positive one! A skald should know a sweet tongue will gather more coin! ;) 

Sad thing is OP raises some good points, just in a way that nobody would, nor should take seriously. 

The issue with recruitment focuses not working at all seems to be affecting many players. Mods have acknowledged the issue but that's about it. It's obviously not something that everyone is experiencing, but in the interests of not being like the OP, I'd hope that mods and the rest of the community can imagine the frustration of players/customers who are unable to make use of a key game mechanic.

I know that the potential complexity of fixing this aspect of the game is more than I could imagine. However, in an information vacuum misinformation and frustration spreads. I would be really grateful if someone from SI/the mods could acknowledge that it's being worked on, there is no expected timeline for it to be fixed (if that is the case), and maybe provide an informed perspective that there are no known workarounds for now. This may negate a lot of frustration. It's not the end of the world for me, but any of these steps would have saved me some time and a bit of unnecessary frustration. 

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend. 

9 minutes ago, TheHuss said:

Sad thing is OP raises some good points, just in a way that nobody would, nor should take seriously. 

The issue with recruitment focuses not working at all seems to be affecting many players. Mods have acknowledged the issue but that's about it. It's obviously not something that everyone is experiencing, but in the interests of not being like the OP, I'd hope that mods and the rest of the community can imagine the frustration of players/customers who are unable to make use of a key game mechanic.

I know that the potential complexity of fixing this aspect of the game is more than I could imagine. However, in an information vacuum misinformation and frustration spreads. I would be really grateful if someone from SI/the mods could acknowledge that it's being worked on, there is no expected timeline for it to be fixed (if that is the case), and maybe provide an informed perspective that there are no known workarounds for now. This may negate a lot of frustration. It's not the end of the world for me, but any of these steps would have saved me some time and a bit of unnecessary frustration. 

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend. 

Just to let you know, we mods don't know what SI are working on or not. No inside knowledge here, sorry. My view is always "more info the better", so I don't overall disagree with a lot of what you are saying.

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

we mods don't know what SI are working on or not. No inside knowledge here, sorry.

Thank you for clarifying that. I don't want to be hyperbolic, but just knowing this provides a lot of context for what is and what isn't said in some of these threads. Hopefully information like this will also make people think twice before spewing insults and throwing tantrums, though I'm not holding my breath. 

Has an AMA or similar ever been held with a representative of the main points of contact between SI Games and the community? Maybe one person from Mods, one from testing, one from the developers. It would possibly give community members who are prone to outbursts information that would give them pause. 

2 minutes ago, TheHuss said:

Thank you for clarifying that. I don't want to be hyperbolic, but just knowing this provides a lot of context for what is and what isn't said in some of these threads. Hopefully information like this will also make people think twice before spewing insults and throwing tantrums, though I'm not holding my breath. 

Has an AMA or similar ever been held with a representative of the main points of contact between SI Games and the community? Maybe one person from Mods, one from testing, one from the developers. It would possibly give community members who are prone to outbursts information that would give them pause. 

We mods try to be transparent about our role, we are not paid by SI, we don't walk any company line or are being told what to do. We are just regular users who have been asked to help out keeping order here.

I would be all for an AMA. Not sure what we mods could bring to that table though. If you have questions for me, PM me and I'll answer as well as I can. :) 

2 hours ago, XaW said:

We mods try to be transparent about our role, we are not paid by SI, we don't walk any company line or are being told what to do. We are just regular users who have been asked to help out keeping order here.

I would be all for an AMA. Not sure what we mods could bring to that table though. If you have questions for me, PM me and I'll answer as well as I can. :) 

Law and Order SIU 😊

11 hours ago, KillYourIdols said:

Congratulations on the most pointlessly aggressive post  I've seen for quite some time. Impressive.

Honestly, Paying attention to Steam Ratings is like getting your news from Twitter, Usually incorrect, Biased and greatly exaggerated.

Can't believe you used Twitter. Should have said the BBC .

On 18/01/2024 at 16:24, LingLing said:

As someone who fell in love with the game in 2009, I feel this is the most inconsistent version of Football Manager franchise ( I won't even call it a new game, because it is not. You stopped with the new games long time ago, all you do now is 'reskin'

Of all the hilarious bits of the post, this is my favourite. 

Tell me, what exactly were the mad advances in the game from FM09 through to FM13? 

There has been a far, far, bigger advancement in FM from Fm19-now than there ever was in the period you started playing. 

Bonkers.