Why is International Management an afterthought in Football Manager?

This is something that has routinely bugged me over the years, why is International Management an afterthought in Football Manager?

• Often you see woefully odd choices take over big jobs. In several simulations I have seen the likes of Abelardo, Quique Sanchez Flores and Bo Svennson take over the England and Germany job despite very little success or a real affiliation with the countries. With countries who have a history of home grown managers, some of the people who takeover are baffling to me, especially when there are better suited options from a realism standpoint.
  • There is nothing like Nation Vision, Culture, Year-5 years Plans etc. to give a national team a real identity. Very often managers get a tournament cycle before being binned off. To have options where you and the National FA has some form of autonomy over certain aspects would be interesting (picking players only based in our nation to improve domestic league quality, targeting players with second nationalities to build a better team, overseeing a playing style down through the age groups etc.). 
  • You don't get things like team familiarity (which if you pick a consistent squad/team or have players who play together at club level etc), training to be able to really make an impact like you can in the club game. I understand it's a smaller time frame but surely there is a benefit into making this more realistic than players just being selected, play then leave. Being able to interact with club managers would be an interesting addition.
  • Using the B Team functionality. In game you can never pick a B team to play another nation (unless it's a Gold Cup/Copa America type thing). For larger nations having this option would be an interesting addition.
Edited by D3an0mac

Nah, not just you.  It definitely is lacking.  But I suspect it's the same answer as why a lot of bugs still exist - they aren't considered higher priority than the things that do get more attention.  I expect the numbers of people who regularly and seriously use international management aren't high enough for them to go in and take a proper deep dive into the feature.

4 hours ago, D3an0mac said:

Guess it's just me then :lol:

I agree with you, but there isn't much for us to add to your thoughts. It's clear they aren't really arsed about international management as it's been the same for years.

Edited by Mobius

I always here this high priority thing listed on this forum. 

Wouldn't it be great if we actually knew what si priorities were for the game. 

At least they communicated about unity for fm25 a good year before release. 

If only they could that about everything. They need to go on a communication team building camp. 

4 minutes ago, JimmysTheBestCop said:

I always here this high priority thing listed on this forum. 

Wouldn't it be great if we actually knew what si priorities were for the game. 

At least they communicated about unity for fm25 a good year before release. 

If only they could that about everything. They need to go on a communication team building camp. 

I'm sure their priority is the English leagues . This is where it all started many many moons ago.  Since then it has expanded and went to the main European leagues , to South America,  Africa , Asia then Oceania . Oceania is probably lower priority than International.  Things might change from next year ??

17 minutes ago, meadowsaaron38 said:

Isnt FM24 the first version we can manage under 18s or 19s or 21s or 23s at international level?

No?

17 minutes ago, meadowsaaron38 said:

Yes just you

Did you not read the other posts in the thread?

6 hours ago, forameuss said:

Nah, not just you

3 hours ago, Mobius said:

I agree with you

International management has never been any good even since the CM days, unfortunately. I'm really surprised SI hasn't capitalized on any World Cup buzz by now and created a theme around one of them to promote new features for it. I don't even mean a licensed edition either - they could just promote a generic World Cup theme with added features for international management that just so happens to be timed well before an upcoming tournament.

I don't get it. I'm guessing international management must be near impossible to get right or something. Either way, I don't care what the international teams do in FM because of how dull it is, and that's pretty damning considering I want to like it. I just skip ahead past the tournaments to the new season and don't check who won what.

Edited by tezcatlipoca665

3 minutes ago, StewG said:

If they would just add being able to rest players between games so I don't have to rotate my outfield ten every game, that would be nice.

this is the biggest issue for me. you need to rest all the outfield players, so to get to the final of the world cup it means playing a 2nd 11 in 3 games along the way.

I raised a post last year with loads of suggestions for international management which they said they were looking at changing, no changees this year, but hopefully next year. However i'm not optimistic, look at the bug section, most of the bugs in international remain "open", they don't even get put under review. The past meetings feature hasn't worked for international teams for about 3 years now

The answer is probs pretty simple club management is by far the most popular game mode. So time energy and resources are spent there. Wouldnt shock me if something like 90 percent of the players only do club management. 

They look and use such data to decide where they focus their energy. 

That said I don't think there is any excuse as to why pretty basic features we already get in club management are not put into international management. 

International management is low priority because not many people do it as much more than an afterthought 

I actually like the "national vision" idea and the current training setup would translate quite well to international management even if it was a simple cohesion Vs fitness tradeoff, but at the end of the day it's low priority because not many people play it as their main game and those who do are mostly doing it to avoid stuff like dynamics etc...

8 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

International management is low priority because not many people do it as much more than an afterthought 

I wonder how much its low popularity is down to it being such a half-arsed game mode. Chicken and egg scenario. 

Although that said, in a game like this, it would be difficult to make international management something that would amaze anyone. There's not a lot to do day-to-day, there's no transfer market and a very low amount of fixtures each year. The only real excitement would be at a major tournament. I know international managers in real life spend their off time going to games up and down the country, scouting potential new caps, etc, but this isn't terribly interesting in FM. So, other than to jazz it up a bit, and add in training and interactions, what more can they really do with it? 

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I wonder how much its low popularity is down to it being such a half-arsed game mode. Chicken and egg scenario. 

Although that said, in a game like this, it would be difficult to make international management something that would amaze anyone. There's not a lot to do day-to-day, there's no transfer market and a very low amount of fixtures each year. The only real excitement would be at a major tournament. I know international managers in real life spend their off time going to games up and down the country, scouting potential new caps, etc, but this isn't terribly interesting in FM. So, other than to jazz it up a bit, and add in training and interactions, what more can they really do with it? 

I think the answer to the the chicken or egg situation is probably in your second paragraph.

I'd prefer it if international management had more features and less incoherent national vision, I'd settle for youth international management having fewer bugs, but at the end of the day lots of the stuff people play FM for is necessarily absent, and when I do try international management it's because I don't care about that stuff or would rather avoid micromanagement altogether. You actually can watch games every week if you want, but I bet not many people do...

20 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Yeah this would be my biggest issue with it. A tournament takes about 2 seasons to process through. If you are a big nation then the qualifiers are boring squash matches. The actual tournament are fun but a tedious build up to it 

Whenever I have done international management I’ve always had a club as well to help pass the time until the tournaments 

Edited by Colonel Tigh

I've just done a lot of international management, because that was the only thing i needed to do in order to complete a challenge.

Disclaimer; this is all either FM23 or FM4 continuing a FM23 save. I'm just presuming that nothing is different if you start a fresh FM24 save.

Nations appoint ridiculous managers. Nations give the job to absolute nobodies. It would certainly make a for a more interesting game if there were fantastic managers to come up against, and they were in charge of your opponents.

the correlation between FA expectancies and being sacked is too basic. at a club, you won't be sacked for one bad result, but you can win every match for 2 years and have 1 fluky bad result in an early tournament round, and off you go. However, if instead of being sacked you resign, you can manage the same nation time ands time again. i ended up managing France and Belgium about 4 or 5 times each. I had to do this unrealistic thing, because I had things I needed to win. This is a tricky balance of course, because if the game was realistic, it would be incredibly difficult to win the major tournaments.

With most nations you can scout every single player for your nation in a few months. Maybe not if you have that national league loaded, but if you have a scout / coach with a good JPA there's no skill to selecting a team. At a club you might be in two minds about signing a player, but if a central defender is 175 cm tall, has a rubbish personality and hates big matches, but your scouting shows that he's clearly your top option, you're going to start him. should you? that's hard to say, because maybe he actually isn;t your best option, but with such a small sample size of matches, how can you tell? There's no obvious skill element to any part of international management.

The conversations with players about playing for the national team are tedious and illogical. there are players who realistically are never going to play for the national side they're committed to. that would be ok if there was better and more varied interaction. if you have a player that says, i know I'll never get into the French team, but I just don't want to play for any other team, that would be interesting. It would be interesting if there was a correlation between their personalities and whether they'll play for your nation.

There are times when the best players are not selected to start for national teams. i don't know why this is. fatigue?

There's just too many things that don't make sense and take you away from the realism of the game.

Edited by vikeologist

As people are saying up-thread, there are elements inherent to international football (you can't sign players; there are few matches) that are always likely to make it a less popular game mode compared to the club game, so to some extent it's understandable that SI don't put so much energy into it.

However, there are a number of features that already exist in club football in the game that have not been added to international management for whatever reason. That I find harder to understand. These include:

A) training - at least match prep and resting

B) proper press conferences (surely international management should have these if anything should!)

C) interactions with your players (this is presumably not done because these are already imperfect and players of club teams would kick up a stink if their international players were always becoming unhappy)

D) job interviews

E) special shirt numbers ("the famous number 9 shirt previously worn by x etc. etc.)

F) Visions

Possible reasons for the above not being implemented:

A) may be hard for coding reasons somehow

C) may be judged not to be a good idea right now

The rest? I really couldn't tell you. We all know that SI plans years in advance the features they will implement in the future versions of the game. There is 100% chance that there was a meeting at some point in 2021 planning the headline features for FM23, and someone (probably in Marketing) will have raised making it an edition centred around international football, given the Qatar World Cup. I would genuinely love to know how to that discussion went, and why they decided against that approach. There may well have been good reasons! Hopefully one day we'll find out what those were. At the moment though it makes me extremely pessimistic that international management will ever be improved.

I'll tell you this, I bet the numbers who play international management are far, far fewer than those who played FM Classic (PC version) - And we all know how SI handled that. 

Not that I'm still bitter of course. 

Point being, if SI's reasoning for not making a better fist of International Management is that hardly anyone plays it, then just remove it from the game altogether (obvs still keep international teams and tournaments, just lose the ability to manage any of them) . I think I'd rather it wasn't there at all than the half-arsed effort that's currently in the game. 

While I understand the point you're making and don't disagree that FM Classic shouldn't have been euthanised, International Management exists as a job and should be replicated in a management game regardless of whether a 'Classic' version exists of the game. Yes the numbers might be small but I don't think you could have a football management sim without International Management as an option because it is something that exists and affects footballers and the footballing calendar. The same cannot be said for FM Classic's influence on FM.

The idea that anything that doesn't quite work as people want should just be completely excised from the game is mad to me.  I wouldn't even do that with the things that don't work correctly, let alone things that are fine and just lacking like International Management.

3 hours ago, forameuss said:

The idea that anything that doesn't quite work as people want should just be completely excised from the game is mad to me.  I wouldn't even do that with the things that don't work correctly, let alone things that are fine and just lacking like International Management.

Generally I would agree with this, but international management has little (if any) bearing on the main part of the game, ie you could remove IM and have the exact same experience you have now. Different if you were to remove, say, interactions because they aren't working 100% as they should. 

17 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Generally I would agree with this, but international management has little (if any) bearing on the main part of the game, ie you could remove IM and have the exact same experience you have now. Different if you were to remove, say, interactions because they aren't working 100% as they should. 

Those that want to play in international football wouldn't really have the same experience, would they?  Not being popular enough to prioritise over more important things (which I agree with and understand) isn't the same as no-one playing it whatsoever.  Wholesale removing things will never make any sense.

Edited by forameuss