Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

43 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

AI squad building:

DOF/Technical director has 16 for judging staff ability and brings this guy in as a sports scientist.

image.png.5efe0256a79239f7e0552e0ea21b5973.png

That explains why I always manage to have the best staff in the division in my first few weeks with a club.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re team talks, they're working reasonably well at the moment in my opinion!

Few tips:

1. Develop relationships with players. Praise good performances, training, etc. Helps massively with TT responses.

2. Challenge them don't try to make them happy. The bright green "appeared delighted" is misleading. I often concede after I get 11 bright greens for praise at half time. The yellow "appeared inspired" is what you're after.

3. Be more demanding at home and less demanding away from home, especially with your body language. I often use "hands together" (cautiously) away and "point finger / hands on hips / thrash arms" at home.

e.g. Away from home against a weaker opponent, we're in good form:

"hands in pockets" (reluctantly)

image.thumb.png.f39d29b7caa4efda5f21561f18e5924a.png

39 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Re team talks, they're working reasonably well at the moment in my opinion!

Few tips:

1. Develop relationships with players. Praise good performances, training, etc. Helps massively with TT responses.

2. Challenge them don't try to make them happy. The bright green "appeared delighted" is misleading. I often concede after I get 11 bright greens for praise at half time. The yellow "appeared inspired" is what you're after.

3. Be more demanding at home and less demanding away from home, especially with your body language. I often use "hands together" (cautiously) away and "point finger / hands on hips / thrash arms" at home.

e.g. Away from home against a weaker opponent, we're in good form:

"hands in pockets" (reluctantly)

image.thumb.png.f39d29b7caa4efda5f21561f18e5924a.png

the half time and pre-match teamtalks don't matter anyway as they reset as soon as the match starts/resumes.

8 hours ago, janrzm said:

I mentioned this in a Reddit post just after release, it didn't result in a goal but I had never seen the keeper come up for a corner in the dying moments. Someone said it had been in the game for years......surely it's new? I have thousands of hours in this game and I'd never seen it. 

You must change your mentally to very attacking and than your keeper would go to attacking corner 

I'm finding it difficult to sometimes understand the "Quick Pick" and "Selection Advice" choices.

Both the Quick pick and my 7 coaches via selection advice put Lendfers at right back, and don't even put Corbanie in the squad.
He's fit, has good match sharpenss, and is rated one full star better than Lendfers.

Ok, that one coach maybe thinks "this guy needs match rythm", but very strange that no one puts Corbanie in the first eleven, let alone the bench
And this is just a normal competition game, with all to lose or win. We're halfway in the season so it's not that "result doesn't matter"

He also has all the same homegrown checks as lendfers. (and this is just one sample, I often find it difficult why the AI picks it like that, and all the coaches agree)
So if someone could explain, that would be great.

image.png.c50d08d42a7db95e4d560ea3b97ed7ef.png

Edited by DavyDepuydt1

18 minutes ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

I'm finding it difficult to sometimes understand the "Quick Pick" and "Selection Advice" choices.

Quick pick's been a bit strange for years, your coaches consider match fitness and fatigue and stuff so they pick squad players you wouldn't choose 

The head scratcher for me is how they choose the D & S players in midfield, 99% of the time they swap them around to who I'd pick 

Generally I just save my favourite lineup and load it in every game and start my selection from there  

1 hour ago, StephenG said:

the half time and pre-match teamtalks don't matter anyway as they reset as soon as the match starts/resumes.

There is no such thing as team talks “re-setting” as soon as the match resumes or starts.

1 minute ago, Rashidi said:

There is no such thing as team talks “re-setting” as soon as the match resumes or starts.

Some people here said it actually happens and it's an issue that is confirmed by SI as a known issue.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Quick pick's been a bit strange for years, your coaches consider match fitness and fatigue and stuff so they pick squad players you wouldn't choose 

The head scratcher for me is how they choose the D & S players in midfield, 99% of the time they swap them around to who I'd pick 

Generally I just save my favourite lineup and load it in every game and start my selection from there  

Exactly, that D & S player in midfield is also the issue I'm having... Ok, but than it's not just me who is missing something, and I can go by my own idea of lineup and ignore the fact that my 8 coaches all want the same "strange" selection

1 hour ago, StephenG said:

I don’t think it does reset - it seems more like a visual issue.

the effect is there, just for someone reason it seems like the body language has reset.

I’ve seen people report this but it wouldn’t make sense to me (just me). It’s been doing this “reset” thing for last couple of years and I’ve never personally felt anything wrong with team talk effects other than it not showing with body language.

Edited by RDF Tactics

2 minutes ago, andu1 said:

What team talks resetting? Meaning that team talks are useless? Is that really happening because it's a big issue if it does..

I don’t think it does. Not for me, anyway.

I’ve had a few games this FM where we’ve made comebacks or seen 2nd half improvements with commentary reading “whatever the manager said no at HT seemed to have worked wonders”.

Thats my experience, anyway. That I do the team talk, they respond. I enter game, their body language then resets to normal (which I think is a visual bug rather than a true representation).

31 minutes ago, TheMattB81 said:

What does this mean exactly, 'they reset'?

The effect your talks have on the team pregame and at halftime goes away immediately when the game kicks off again and their reaction goes back to neutral immediately. The reaction should carry back into the game for 10-15 mins. Thats whats “broken”. Minor issue but yes its broken

Or like people are saying, maybe it does work. But their body language expression icon does reset. Wether it still takes effect I guess only si knows. But in older version the players kept their halftime reactions going into the game. 

2 minutes ago, Dadecane said:

The effect your talks have on the team pregame and at halftime goes away immediately when the game kicks off again and their reaction goes back to neutral immediately. The reaction should carry back into the game for 10-15 mins. Thats whats “broken”. Minor issue but yes its broken

Interesting, I'll have to check that. I could've sworn I saw at least some players have a reaction until the 15th minute. However, I might be thinking of FM23. I'll be sure to check this next match I play.

3 minutes ago, Dadecane said:

This is true, but it definitely feels like it's having an impact. 

While this is kind of a blind statement because theres no way of actually knowing if it works, I will say this; I havnt felt that my halftime talks are “broken”. What I mean is sometimes pregame or at halftime If I hit the right comment and get them all excited, it usually translates to good play on the field, even tho the icon has “reset”. Same when its 0-0 at halftime, if I get a proper reaction from the team at halftime, they usually play better 2nd half, even if the icon has “reset”. Take from that what u may 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

AI squad building:

DOF/Technical director has 16 for judging staff ability and brings this guy in as a sports scientist.

To be honest I don't think I've ever had a decent recommendation from my DOF for any staff on any edition of FM. A quick search in the staff listings and I can absolutely find someone better in about 30 seconds. Completely useless.

40 minutes ago, andu1 said:

What team talks resetting? Meaning that team talks are useless? Is that really happening because it's a big issue if it does..

In terms of impact on player performances, team talks just don’t do enough for me to warrant any kind of attention.  I don’t care how my players react, I’ve even intentionally thrown a fit, berated the boys when we are 3 goals up and praised them when they are losing my 2 goals, and then turn things around with tactical changes. 

While this could be as simple as a UI issue, there are still bigger fish to fry, personally too many mid table sides have conversion rates that are just 4-5% above where I think they should be and at the lower end we need to see bottom of the table sides closer to 5-6% conversion rates.

I’m pretty sure the super fast development of some high PA youths will be addressed. Players complaining about not enough players or a certain role could be addressed too. Can’t attest to the registration rules of leagues as I am unfamiliar with that. 

3 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

In terms of impact on player performances, team talks just don’t do enough for me to warrant any kind of attention.  I don’t care how my players react, I’ve even intentionally thrown a fit, berated the boys when we are 3 goals up and praised them when they are losing my 2 goals, and then turn things around with tactical changes. 

While this could be as simple as a UI issue, there are still bigger fish to fry, personally too many mid table sides have conversion rates that are just 4-5% above where I think they should be and at the lower end we need to see bottom of the table sides closer to 5-6% conversion rates.

I’m pretty sure the super fast development of some high PA youths will be addressed. Players complaining about not enough players or a certain role could be addressed too. Can’t attest to the registration rules of leagues as I am unfamiliar with that. 

Yeah the conversion rates is what is turning me off. I see too often results like 6-3, 4-4, 5-5 or trashings like 8-0, 9-0.
Not saying those shouldn't happen but the frequency should be much lower than it is right now.

Also too many draws like 2-2, 3-3 instead of 0-0 or 1-1.

Talking about high scoring games, it's funny that IRL we had a 5-9 in the Czech league and a 14-0 at international level. So yeah, those should happen but much lower than it is right now.

I think FM 23 was closer to IRL than FM 24 at GPG and conversion rates.

1 hour ago, RDF Tactics said:

I don’t think it does reset - it seems more like a visual issue.

the effect is there, just for someone reason it seems like the body language has reset.

I’ve seen people report this but it wouldn’t make sense to me (just me). It’s been doing this “reset” thing for last couple of years and I’ve never personally felt anything wrong with team talk effects other than it not showing with body language.

I didn't have the issue in FM23

1 hour ago, Dadecane said:

Or like people are saying, maybe it does work. But their body language expression icon does reset. Wether it still takes effect I guess only si knows. But in older version the players kept their halftime reactions going into the game. 

Something SI have been asked many times here and the bug tracker but they never responded. Maybe they don't know.

I never use inmatch team talks - i very rarely use shouts and that usualy when my team sucks agsint weak oponents or when they are in danger of losing a game we had a 4:0 lead in.

The only thing i do teamtalks is when they pop up b4 urgent matches about winning titles and usualy i simply try to "NOT MAKE IT WORSE" bcs i am already at a form and moral high and i have nothing to win but everything to lose from that teamtalk!

I give anything possible about talks to my assistant coaches...to me i feel it is a boring part of the game anyway i do not want to hassle around with...

So unless i am forced no team talk for me!

Edited by Etebaer

46 minutes ago, StephenG said:

I love how many people here are in denial, even on acknowledged bugs.

If you start thinking only your opinion matters that is disrespectful to other people. While I said it may be an issue I also added it might be a UI issue and if you can’t accept someone else’s point of view, don’t clutter the thread with snide remarks.  

10 minutes ago, StephenG said:

You literally said there is no such thing as team talks resetting. It wasn't an opinion. It was factually incorrect

I also later said that this could be UI related and could very well mean nothing in the grander scheme of things. Perhaps it helps if you follow the whole line of thought. So you still want to harp on about how incorrect other peoples points of view are?

5 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

AI squad building:

What is his star rating? I have a suspicion that the technical director bases his signings on that mixed with their rep.

Star ratings for staff don't seem tied to the key attributes and more just their general CA/spread of stats.

Edited by Dotsworthy

Team talks don’t reset. It’s most likely just a bug in the UI in not visually showing you the effect of the talk afterwards, while the effect is still there tho. It’s just a visual thing. So I’m guessing this could be a easy fix as oppose to fixes to the other greater and more important issues right now.

Edited by Kevinho7

To be fair, I have the feeling that the difficulty in correcting all the bugs you all mentioned is coming from the fact that not every user is experiencing them.

For example, I'm during the third season in FM24 coming from my FM23 save and I did not experience a lot of the problems you mentioned (frequent unrealistic results like 5-4 or 8-0, players complaining about squad depth having only 19/20 first team players, and some many other problems). I don't deny they exist, maybe they are not frequent as you mentioned and that's why it's so hard to correct them. Moreover, some interactions are coming from the way every user is managing the team: you could not expect players 100% happy if you contract all of them as Star Players to convince them to join your team and then, "all of a sudden", they are not happy with their time on the pitch (I am just giving an example, I know that there are various problems concerning players happiness and locker room "riots").

That said, is FM24 a perfect game? Absolutely not. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely yes. Do we deserve a better game having paid more or less 40/50 euros? YES.

P.s. Unless you are biased, you cannot deny that the ME is at least better than last year's...

1 minute ago, Kevinho7 said:

Team talks don’t reset. It’s most likely just a bug in the UI in not visually showing you the effect of the talk afterwards, while the effect is still there tho. It’s just a visual thing.

How can you state that when SI has not confirmed but acknowledged there is a bug?

6 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Another annoying thing. If a player is promised something with a longer term vibe, their morale gets capped at average levels until it's resolved. In a case like Kouame below I think the promise should free him of any morale issue going forward.

image.png.9b93522f7a1b15306287f3e931ddbac4.png

It seems completely correct to me: if somebody makes you a promise about a problem you have, you could not be 100% happy and sure about it until the promise is kept.... 

Edited by Costav

5 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I also later said that this could be UI related and could very well mean nothing in the grander scheme of things. Perhaps it helps if you follow the whole line of thought. So you still want to harp on about how incorrect other peoples points of view are?

I was responding to that specific message. Also do you know for a fact that it means nothing in the grander scheme of things? if so it should be confirmed as this has been a reported bug for over a month.

5 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

AI squad building:

Delegating transfer responsibilities (either player or staff) is totally pointless imo, even though I'd love to be able to do it for the youth and B-teams especially, and give the DOF and relevant managers more responsibility and control over what they would do irl. In FM23, they couldn't even get it accidentally right. Doesn't matter how high their Judging Current Ability/Potential Ability/Staff Ability is.

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Im not actually convinced its broken, but it needs clarification all the more if thats the case. I feel like its one of 2 things, a UI issue - or body language isnt longer linked to the team talks. The latter would means its design, but really confusing design. Either way, definitely needs a follow up

Agreed.

15 minutes ago, StephenG said:

Also do you know for a fact that it means nothing in the grander scheme of things?

If you do a search on the forums you will find SI commenting about the impact of teamtalks.  You will also find plenty of points of view about the efficiacy of team talks that diverges from yours. And I will stop cluttering this thread and  leave it at that.

19 hours ago, Freakiie said:

Well I suppose it really was a big deal.

image.png.37474ad35ab1e25c2e7d01b545e83759.png

Also ironic that my star newgens at world class clubs never manage to win the NXGN, yet a player I picked up for free at some Canadian academy manages to snatch the price playing for Randers in Denmark. :D

Why is the news item listed three times... and why does he have green face paint? Seriously, what's with the face paint, lol!

3 minutes ago, Rayban_DK said:

Why is the news item listed three times... and why does he have green face paint? Seriously, what's with the face paint, lol!

Yeah the three times kinda was my point. :D

And it shows the face of my manager, instead of the player that actually won the NXGN, that's why he has face paint. As to why he has face paint? The randomizer button does magical things!

3 hours ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

Both the Quick pick and my 7 coaches via selection advice put Lendfers at right back, and don't even put Corbanie in the squad.
He's fit, has good match sharpenss, and is rated one full star better than Lendfers.

Ok, that one coach maybe thinks "this guy needs match rythm", but very strange that no one puts Corbanie in the first eleven, let alone the bench
And this is just a normal competition game, with all to lose or win. We're halfway in the season so it's not that "result doesn't matter"

He also has all the same homegrown checks as lendfers. (and this is just one sample, I often find it difficult why the AI picks it like that, and all the coaches agree)
So if someone could explain, that would be great.

image.png.c50d08d42a7db95e4d560ea3b97ed7ef.png

In real life when a manager is sacked and a new one comes in team selection changes. Its likely the same that the coaches have different opinions

If a player is getting excluded it may be because he is not the best fit for formation / role. This is why irl managers often adapt roles and formations to accommodate what they may see as the best player(s)

3 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

This problem exists in FM23 and perhaps earlier FM versions as well... have irritated me to no end in what seems for years by now.

13 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

In real life when a manager is sacked and a new one comes in team selection changes. Its likely the same that the coaches have different opinions

If a player is getting excluded it may be because he is not the best fit for formation / role. This is why irl managers often adapt roles and formations to accommodate what they may see as the best player(s)

That's what i would like to see in FM more... Managers using formations that fit their players not using just one formation all the time. For example if they have many injuries in their squad and they don't have wingers for example, they would use a wingerless formation etc...

In a management Sim, that should have already been the case if you ask me...

Yes, managers should have preferred formations, but that doesn't meen that they should use them religiously like no other formations exist, they should have access to all in-game formations...

I'm enjoying 24 but I think my enjoyment is enhanced because I've taken to skipping a year, which means the enhancements and changes always feel much more notable.

Saying that it is crazy to see how certain parts of the game just haven't improved at all in years. Backroom advice for instance is still almost universally rubbish. I'm managing Norwich and Adam Idah has 23 goals in 33 games, yet every couple of weeks I'm being recommended to take his playing down from Regular Starter to Squad Player. Why on earth would I do that?

Another thing I don't get. Randomly dropping tactical familiarity, mid-season with a settled squad/tactic:

image.png.b0183b50b848c6b239180b90c1a11414.png

image.png.b6493d2335b10a1e10dfa0e74db114cc.png

They've all played just about every game in the same role. How are they suddenly forgetting how to play their roles? They don't need to re-learn them every month...

Nothing has changed whatsoever.

Edited by whatsupdoc

1 hour ago, Freakiie said:

Yeah the three times kinda was my point. :D

And it shows the face of my manager, instead of the player that actually won the NXGN, that's why he has face paint. As to why he has face paint? The randomizer button does magical things!

Was this from a FM23 save? I remember SI saying that the Manger timeline would be a bit bugged if you import a save from FM23.