[FM24] The Norseman

_Ben_

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Followed before I'd even read the two opening posts. Shame I can't follow again.

I'm sure you know this but you can write ö by holding Alt and then typing 0246 on your number pad (num lock on). And if you want to use the Norwegian ø then it's Alt+0248. I know working in Norway and with Norwegians was eventually going to pay off.

16 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Followed before I'd even read the two opening posts. Shame I can't follow again.

I'm sure you know this but you can write ö by holding Alt and then typing 0246 on your number pad (num lock on). And if you want to use the Norwegian ø then it's Alt+0248. I know working in Norway and with Norwegians was eventually going to pay off.

Knöwledge, in this case, is clearly pöwer!

Can't wait to get down to the nitty-gritty elements of the save; storytelling, like the above, has never really been my forté!

16 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Sweden

Viking history

Björn

Has me hooked even before you even mentioned FM24, looking forward to this journey of yours.

Thank you!

Two years in a row have now had some kind of historical theme to - at least - where I start my journey. However, I do feel a real buy-in to the character I made, which is important as that is normally already there through the previous FM.

15 hours ago, TangoFM said:

Following with keen interest, always love your threads - all the best!

15 hours ago, roganp said:

Love a Scandinavian save. Best of luck with the journey.

Hope so. Not managed in Scandinavia for a very long time and certainly never when I've played the game in the way I do right now.

A thoroughly enjoyable opening couple of posts. I have to give you credit first and foremost, your writing style is incredibly captivating and keeps me as the reader engaged at all times. The detail and nuances. :applause:

I’m really looking forward to what you have in store and hope to be able to follow as closely as I ought to.

Been following your stuff for a few years now ever since Redditch saved me from the borefest of days at work during Covid lockdowns. 

You heading to Scandinavia has me thinking this could well be your best material yet. All the best for the save and I throughly look forward to the unveiling of this years edition of the skin. 

what a breathtaking intro !

Love a nordic save and story; I want to start (again) the youth challenge in Iceland or Finalnd. The Norwegian viking Flóki Vilgerðarson gave the island its current name, Island (Iceland).

good luck and will follow !

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

image.png.e956323214f5ded5612ce99a4420bca1.png

I envisage that the first part of my career, and, as such, the first few posts will be quite heavy with tactical thoughts as I get used to the game and try and create the ideology that is in my head. I write these blogs in real time and, as such, lots of things are reflection on games that I then take into my next game. It ends in a bit of a conversation with myself but it – hopefully – makes good reading and it certainly holds me to account to develop our tactical style.

My starting point – as always has been – is basic. I’m going to be using a 4-2-3-1 because the double pivot should naturally give me a bit more defensive cover. This is a move away from the 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 diamond that was used before I took over but I feel that it has impact tactically but also suits the squad depth and, most importantly, the squad fitness for the group of players I have taken over. Again, and importantly, the system starts basic. Roles are basic: full backs, centre backs, defensive midfielders, attacking midfielders, wingers/inverted wingers and an advanced forward. Team wise, I instil my own pre-defined methods that form my own playing style, but there is nothing more:

• Play out of defence
  • Run at defence
  • Regroup
  • Mid block

This makes us a team that build progressively but also will retreat when the ball is lost to ensure that we are hard to counter against. Everything else comes from work done around what the opposition lines up like and develops as I learn about my players.

---

Full match reports can be seen by clicking each thumbnail.

image.png.d37843602ecf4608cab826751e90f3b7.png

We started with a big derby against Ostersunds. Tactically, their 4-4-2 shape and wing play style meant that we funnelled play inside and stopped crosses, as well as showed all of the defensive players on to their left foot – keeping the ball away from their strongest players: the right winger and playmaker, Erick. I wanted an extra man free at the back, against their two forwards, so went with a IWB(s) – CD(d) – CD(d) – IFB(d) setup across the back line, creating a 3-2-5 in the initial build up phase, opting, this time, for a double pivot given our defensive frailites prior to my takeover.

Our opener – the first goal of my managerial career – came from Navik, who cleverly vacated his central role in order to create a 2v1 against either their centre back or full back. The ball from Salaou was good enough and he crashed it home off the cross bar. With no VAR at hand, their equaliser came via a somewhat soft (I’m always going to say that, though) penalty that Salaou gave away but, for me, the actual issue came with our initial pressing structure, which, for my style, feels far too aggressive. The veteran Hallenius scored our second as we broke with precision. I changed to a 5-4-1 shape to contain a little bit of their pressure but we held out, our playmaker (who also won Player of the Week) beating their playmaker:

image.png.f95812efb3fa72bf56bc555fbc205649.png

As first games go – this is perfect. 0.34 non-Pen xGA is a great start as I look to consolidate defensively whilst not forgetting that I need to sort out our attacking problems, too.

One of my other thoughts is how I’m setting up weekly training based on the coming opposition:

• Angelholms are a weaker team from the lower levels and we face them in the cup. I want to look at how we transition back and forwards as that is going to be key against a team we should be beating.
  • There is little time between that and the Trelleborgs tie. We can overtake them with a win and, having not played away from home yet, just want to see how things shape up. I want us feeling fresh and happy, so have scheduled more of the extra-curricular stuff.
  • Utkitsens play route one football so I need to ensure we are practicing aerial defending, particularly around that second ball but then also being direct to exploit spaces that they’ll surely leave if they need to push players forward to win these aerial battles.

On to the next one!

---

image.png.80b4150573957db0f63f7fc3b0beb47f.png

A cup game against a weaker team in a competition that the board doesn’t care about is just about perfect for my second game! I was able to observe, through my analyst report, the shape and play contributions that they’d offer, along with their roles. I decided to give a debut to 17-year old Abdulahi Shino, who, despite not being the ideal fit for a striker offers me some pace and directness that my two target-forwards lack.

The only tactical change was to swap the sides for the IWB(s) and IFB(d) – moving Peprah Oppeng to an inverted role, pushing him higher to counter the fact that there’d be space left over from their very defensive left back.

Our early goal was important to me because it showed me that, using a 4-2-3-1 against a defensive 4-2-3-1 gives us so much in terms of attacking options, but a 4-3-3 shape will get more players into areas that could lead to them being in that magical Zone 14. However, I learnt more from their goal – a corner to the edge of the area that was curled in, that I anticipated. More work is needed on set pieces! No clean sheet, but a 4-1 win with a rotated team: including a debut assist for Shino and a debut goal for Torstensson means we leave happy and in the hat for the next round.

image.png.ab87bcc88b58644ba2b209ca4f3d6dea.png

---

image.png.b3300ea7005428ee96e059e84d3c388f.png

I did my homework on their shape, after watching them in their previous game. Their roles and shape are not something that I’m hugely experienced with facing but, based on their desires to get the ball wide with two very aggressive wing backs, I moved my wingers back into the midfield spaces. I am really reluctant to create asymmetric tactics or create shapes that the AI does not use as I feel that this gives me an unfair advantage but I’m fairly confident that this is a shape that can be created: 4-4-1-1 2DM or something similar…

My plans were to not press their back three and funnel the wide men all inside to where I had players waiting. I wanted to start our build up wider, moving around their box in midfield and isolating their wing backs, which we managed to do quite well in transition from the keeper. It was that lack of pressure on their defenders that led to Shino’s first goal as we stepped off, reduced space for their forward three and wing backs but aggressively pressed their DMs when the ball went near them – with the idea that we would cut off the Volante’s supply route from defence to midfield. Here, the youngster slipped in, won the ball, beat two men before drilling home and beating the keeper at the near post.

The most complete performance of my time here so far. Yet – ever the perfectionist – my thoughts turn to the spells just after we score, where we then concede more pressure. I need to see whether this is something that is happening because of complacency, me being unable to motivate my team or just being unable to counter the oppositions sudden intent.

---

image.png.a44fff46de14d1186843098b44f3e992.png

I HATE conceding goals! But this one was a bit of a classic…

Another interesting shape to adapt to; my plan was to shift the roles slightly to a IWB(d) and DM(s) forming the base of the box with a VOL(a)-AM(s) forming the top. It didn’t quite work out but we created a nice trapezium shape in the middle, with the idea to have four attacking players against their three and utilising the physicality (and, less so, his work rate) to keep the three centre backs company. In this example, you can see Lundstrom and Salaou slightly staggered with Pichkah and Navik quite wide – I’d love to have a forward that could drop to occupy that space just above where the referee is stood!

The game itself saw two teams really overperform their xG – Utsiktens’ first was from a lovely cutback and curling shot and their second and third, likewise, carried low xG totals. We could, and should, have won it at the death as we had a five vs two chance to counter from a corner but were unable to make it count.

Points dropped? Always going to happen. Three goals conceded? Can happen. The way we conceded them? A little more concerning, for me.

image.png.c41a674e398874f4c9f4407c9ae18cf0.png

Five games in, it’s a good time to reflect on where we are tactically:

image.png.e22da6a439172d2bf0ec7d39a745388c.png

Oscar Jonsson – the man between the sticks – currently has a 72% save ratio but a 90% expected save ratio – showing that he is signifcantly underperforming. Also, in the three league games he’s played – he’s conceded four goals from 3.08xGA, not a huge underperformance but a worry for us defensively, though the three long shots have combined to a total of 0.17xGA of that amount – some 5.5% of the total.

Against each league opponent, he has the following breakdown for saves:

• Utsiktens: 43% held, 29% parried, 29% tipped
  • Trelleborgs: 20% held, 80% tipped
  • Ostersunds: 67% held, 33% tipped

However, the buck must stop somewhere. I wonder if that stops at the 43% the defensive phases that we’ve had coming through the middle. This is a difficult one to actually evaluate as, for the majority of the games, I’ve forced the opponents into the middle so that we can mitigate their ability to cross the ball to big men in the middle. This has, obviously worked well for us but, with Jonsson already announcing that he's likely to leave at the end of the season - I'm somewhat loathed to spend hours and hours working to find a solution that may only be short term.

Things to ponder…

---

image.png.0cec43e5fb3dda556066505ad7e15b8a.png

Back to a more conventional 4-2-3-1 shape meant that I went with my 4-3-3 shape, trying to gain a numerical advantage with the box in midfield. I’ve started paying more attention to the match prep area, as seen below, as we try to prepare in the best way possible.

image.png.801e91ccd6ce96032b7e3d7a54c52dea.png

This screenshot is a perfect example of the learning that I have to continue doing within the games. We’ve made a midfield box – Lundstrom: IWB(s), Shino: DM(d), Pichkah: CAR(s) and Navik: AM(s) – but, to counter that, Gefle have pulled back a striker to make it 4v4 in the middle. What this has then done, however, is left the CD(d) – CD(d) – IFB(d) trio spare, as it were. We had 60% of possession, completing 459 passes – yet the three defenders (67, 58, 49 respectively) were the highest three in the team. Of the forward passes, I’d argue that few were genuinely progressive in nature. I think that this is where changing an IFB(d) to a FB(s), especially with a DM(d) ahead of him, may be the ideal ploy here to ensure that we can still have outlets in the transitional and attacking phase, without giving any more away than we already do defensively.

Still, a win over bottom of the table is important. Even if we’re still not really where I want us to be in terms of our tactical style.

---

image.png.b2967951cf35980d0c4da9c2fe1f7140.png

Their shape and the indication that Daniel Paulson was probably their most dangerous player led me to try something a little different tactically. We still created the back three: CD(d) – CD(d) – IFB(d) due to their striker and Paulson but played with two shielding DMs ahead, pushing the full back on a lot more to take advantage of Dahlqvist’s lack of defensive contribution and creating a very different attacking shape.

In terms of minutiae, I asked Forsberg to man mark Paulson and pulled Bengtsson back to mark the space that a MR would create, to stop any doubling up down their right. Likewise, Carstrom was instructed to sit much narrower in the AML spot, holding his positioning so that we could overlap – as we would focus play down the left for, at least, the start of the game. Normal defensive pressing instructions were applied, not marking them tightly but showing them onto their right hand side – meaning they’d need the technique and vision to pull out a much harder crossfield ball to Paulson, wide and high on the left, not being able to use the middle-men as I went tight on their midfield trio.

In game, the shape I created felt like a little step up on the Gefle tie, in particularly with the rest defence. I also loved some of our chances as my obsession with positional play seemed to pay off. We’d been out on the left where we already had a numerical advantage but worked it back to the false-back three. This quick transition had forced Ogryte to press a bit more aggressively than before as their three forwards had come towards the ball, leaving Salaou in between the lines but with Engblom and Durmaz occupying their defenders. Whilst the driving run was great, the finish was not; however, I do feel that we engineered the chance through the exact moves I’ve been trying to build.

---

Torbjorn Olofsson's Remarkable Start at GIF Sundsvall: A Meteoric Rise in the League Standings

Date: September 26, 2023

Jakob Svensson, Swedish Football Express.

image.png.1fb574c7c8eb73c5a7527585e599df94.png

SUNDSVALL, Sweden - Torbjörn Olofsson's arrival at GIF Sundsvall has sparked a footballing revolution in the quaint town of Sundsvall. The up and coming coach, who took over the reins at the club just five games ago, has already left an indelible mark on the Superettan league, guiding his side to three impressive victories and elevating them from the brink of relegation to a commendable ninth-place position.

Olofsson took over with GIF in 13th place, struggling to find their footing and maintain consistency on the pitch. However, Olofsson's leadership and tactical acumen have seen the team execute a stunning turnaround, and they now find themselves among the top half the league. The statistics speak for themselves: under Olofsson's guidance, Sundsvall has secured victory in three out of their last five league games, a remarkable feat that has sent shockwaves throughout the Superettan. What's more, these victories weren't just hard-fought; they were also goal-laden spectacles, with Sundsvall netting a 11 times in just five games. This newfound attacking prowess has made them a team to be reckoned with in the league.

Olofsson's tactical innovations and player motivation have been crucial to GIF Sundsvall's resurgence. The promising coach has instilled a sense of belief and unity within the squad, which is now performing cohesively and efficiently on the field. Additionally, Olofsson's strategies have allowed the team to play with more freedom, leading to their impressive goal tally. The supporters of GIF Sundsvall, who were initially concerned about the club's league position, have quickly become believers in Olofsson's vision. The club's home matches have witnessed an upsurge in attendance, with fans eager to witness their newfound success. The excitement in Sundsvall is palpable, and it's a testament to the transformative effect Olofsson has had on the team and the community.

With the season nearing it’s close, Torbjörn Olofsson has undoubtedly breathed new life into GIF Sundsvall, turning them from relegation candidates into a formidable force in the Superettan. The coming weeks will be crucial, and Sundsvall's competitors will surely be watching with great interest. For now, though, the Sundsvall faithful can bask in the glory of their team's stunning resurgence, with Olofsson leading the way to a brighter future.

---

image.png.aed3f315d626a011ff8055761b7fcd82.png

This has been some turnaround! Only five games in but we've moved ourselves from out of the relegation playoff zones to a comfortable spot in the middle of the table. We're far too far away from thinking about promotion but that is fine. In the five league games, we've taken the most points - 2.20 per game for the entire season would have us top of the table, which shows the ability we have. Likewise, we've scored the joint most goals, level with Utsiktens, who scored three of theirs against us. Defensively, we're getting better - with five conceded making us pretty much the best team, as I wouldn't consider Vasteras' approach - with two goals scored - to be one that can be continued. In terms of our run in - we play Brage, horribly out of form next and then also welcome Skovde, Eskilstuna and Vasteras to our ground, whilst visiting Orebro and Helsingborgs, too. There is also one game against GAIS - third in the league - which, at this point, is just a learning experience rather than a game I'm really focussed on in terms of our end goals.

Next season - I genuinely have no idea what kind of squad I'll have left/at my disposal so I'm not even in the headspace to think about that yet. There are seven league games left in which I want to consolidate the tactical approach(es) I'm taking and then go from there!

Exceptional stuff. The way you have tactically grew over the last few editions is phenomenal! I used to say you were a statistician and recruitment genius but you have quick became a true tactician :applause:

3 hours ago, john1 said:

World class write up already! :applause:Can't wait for more!

2 hours ago, Winski said:

What a fantastic read, well done. Will following your adventure for sure!

Thanks both; I'm loving it, already!

18 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Exceptional stuff. The way you have tactically grew over the last few editions is phenomenal! I used to say you were a statistician and recruitment genius but you have quick became a true tactician :applause:

Thank you. It's been the hardest nut to crack, if I'm honest, but I've found that my view of real life football has changed over the past few years and, with the help of members like yourself, has helped me shift my focus and feel like I can replicate an idea I've seen in real life or exploit something that the top teams do. Obviously, there are areas that I have to sit and think 'yeah, this is a game' but it's still a million miles on from where I was! That being said - I still love the statistician element but have learnt how to create a skin that does 75% of the stat-driven recruitment for me so it's allowed myself to step back from that slightly, especially during the bulk of the season where it's game after game.

Overall, it's all about the hat I'm wearing at that point and, fortunately/unfortunately depending on how you see it, I haven't got that far into this save and the DoF is currently in charge for realism reasons! The long term view for this squad, and, I guess, any lower league side is that it'll be rebuilt and rebuilt and rebuilt - which is not really how I go about my squad building but I know that - hopefully - that time will come later in the save! I just need to make sure I can mesh them all together through my writing.

It feels as if you have managed to find a good balance, the numbers for the period are impressive and would be enough, as you say, to be leading the pack! Looking forward to seeing how the DoF enhances/f**** things up for you! I am far too much of a control freak to place so much trust in AI. How are you finding the match engine, specifically the positional play? I am yet to play any games, (waiting for full release) and will be adopting a fluid system so always good to ask trusted members to be a sounding board. Keep up the good work, top drawer, as per! 

It's good to see you in Sweden which is from my FM23 experience is competitive and unpredictable and ultimately a fun country to manage in.  You've made a good start too and I think if you can stay up this season then you can push for promotion next season.

21 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

What a start and a great idea.  Going to need to re-read it later to see what bits I can learn and try to transition into my own save.  Well done!

12 hours ago, Sir_Liam said:

It's good to see you in Sweden which is from my FM23 experience is competitive and unpredictable and ultimately a fun country to manage in.  You've made a good start too and I think if you can stay up this season then you can push for promotion next season.

Thanks both! Aiming for upper-mid table this year and then I'll re-evaluate based on what I have to work with over the summer!

20 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

It feels as if you have managed to find a good balance, the numbers for the period are impressive and would be enough, as you say, to be leading the pack! Looking forward to seeing how the DoF enhances/f**** things up for you! I am far too much of a control freak to place so much trust in AI. How are you finding the match engine, specifically the positional play? I am yet to play any games, (waiting for full release) and will be adopting a fluid system so always good to ask trusted members to be a sounding board. Keep up the good work, top drawer, as per! 

I'm nervously excited to see what the DoF does. Once the loanees leave and those who aren't interested in staying beyond the end of their contract, I feel that the only first teamers I have left are those below:

7dd75d8cd0da11541cb01ec6154fd9e8.png

This includes retraining one of Andersson or Pichkah to become an inverted full back and gives me both full backs, one defensive mid and the three players in the AM strata. After that, there is really very little squad depth! We may get to a point whereby I need to create a shortlist for him to work from but, right now, my focus is on getting the team performing and, as you say, we are!

As for the match engine - I love it. Granted, I'm in the second tier of Swedish football and, as such, I don't know if I should really be seeing such slick passing and clever movement but it's really nice. I love the shapes that I'm able to create in transition but, annoyingly, I don't really think I can chart the progress of that in the match engine because - a few years back - I'd have no idea what I was looking for!

18 hours ago, uroszila said:

Fantastic read, as always. I am interested in the training you use. Are you using the periodization system similar to the one on FM23 or do you have something else in mind for this year?

Thanks!

As of right now, it's a yes and no answer. I am trying to follow the element of building the intensity to the middle of the week - whereby we'll work as a team on one of the general aspects for two sessions (normally Attacking and Possession or Defending and Tactics, for example) with a match practice to finish that day before dialling that back ready for the match on the weekend. With just one match prep slot, the time required for that has changed and I can get more in, which means I've often resorted to a fully day off the day after the recovery day, which still contains the match review. I'm doing ok for injuries (touch wood) and I wonder whether this, which goes against what I see most people use for training, might be helping.

In terms of what we actually do - it's not really periodised but we do try and work on areas that I feel are pertinent for the next game. I know (or, at least, have been told) that these have no impact on the next match but it does feel sensible! Here is the next week for us:

c95185fa9abbb2ea13c0da4cc8569bff.png

We've played on the Sunday so Monday has the recovery and review to wrap that up. I've then got three days, so it makes sense to have the middle being the most intense so I can taper. Orebro are bottom of the league but we are quite susceptible to balls into the box and have conceded a lot from long shots - hence the overall focus on those areas this week. Mid-week we still put time in to focus on our on-the-ball stuff. I then always use the day prior to the match as a gentle day and, whether one is travel or is rest, only use Match Tactics and then the focus for the match. For this one, I'm likely to look at their defensive structure because I'll have work on ours in the week.

Again. Not sure it has any impact other than to (slowly) train the attributes needed to do that but it just feels like it's quite a realistic approach.

Great start Ben. Your tactical musings are superb. Your thought process is really clear and logical but the way you apply that to your tactical instructions is really interesting. It's stuff that if you take the time to delve into, its actually common sense (sorry!), but not many people do. 

I have a quick question on how you set up your training... I understand that if you think you will be, for example, defending against high balls you do more aerial defending. Regardless of the actual benefits, I like this. But... what if you have two games in a week? The analyst report for the second game might not get to you until say Thursday? So how do you plan ahead to prepare for that game too rather than just the first one?

On 05/11/2023 at 11:06, chile_paul said:

Great start, loving the updates

5 hours ago, TangoFM said:

Great start, really enjoy the way you take us through your 'live' thoughts as you play. Fingers crossed your DoF looks after you...

Thank you! Well...the bad news is that the SI team have just acknowledged a bug that means that DoF won't actually make any signings! So, in the meantime, I'm using the transfer target feature - with a shortlist of 3-5 players per area - to still hand over some kind of instability and uncertainty to my deals! 

21 hours ago, Henke90 said:

Great start Ben. Your tactical musings are superb. Your thought process is really clear and logical but the way you apply that to your tactical instructions is really interesting. It's stuff that if you take the time to delve into, its actually common sense (sorry!), but not many people do. 

I have a quick question on how you set up your training... I understand that if you think you will be, for example, defending against high balls you do more aerial defending. Regardless of the actual benefits, I like this. But... what if you have two games in a week? The analyst report for the second game might not get to you until say Thursday? So how do you plan ahead to prepare for that game too rather than just the first one?

Thanks Henke!

I tend to use the manager style and tendencies to be fair. If there is still some doubt there, I'll dig into their stats through a panel I've built into my skin:

e625ca8f2bfede6b56bc7b1e43429a45.png

Lastly, and in a worst case scenario, I'll default to attacking stuff if we're at home and favourites but use more defensive if away or underdogs, with the ability to then find a middle ground, too.

It is always such a treat coming into this thread and finding multiple updates. 

A strong start so far. Certainly making the most of what’s available to you. Excited to see which direction you steer towards during the off season

On 07/11/2023 at 00:10, Chris_ANZFM said:

It is always such a treat coming into this thread and finding multiple updates. 

A strong start so far. Certainly making the most of what’s available to you. Excited to see which direction you steer towards during the off season

Thanks! As the off-season is panning out, I'm really feeling that this is an evolution as opposed to the revolution I had once anticipated. This is - for me - great news. I think I've got a little bit more work to do with the squad and some fitness to continue finding and then I should have the next post up!

Fantastic work there mate. :applause: GIF Sundsvall is a name that brings back fond memories from the FM16 days when I won the Swedish top division title with them as part of my Lich King save. Fingers crossed you can bring them success as well!

One more question that you may have already answered in one of your previous threads - do you have any real life background in football? If not, have you ever considered pursuing a career in the industry?

On 08/11/2023 at 22:31, Rikulec said:

Fantastic work there mate. :applause: GIF Sundsvall is a name that brings back fond memories from the FM16 days when I won the Swedish top division title with them as part of my Lich King save. Fingers crossed you can bring them success as well!

One more question that you may have already answered in one of your previous threads - do you have any real life background in football? If not, have you ever considered pursuing a career in the industry?

Thanks! I have dabbled in various things in the past - coaching and some performance analysis work but nothing that I'd ever call a career!

Great approach and description to your financial situation! I am way too trigger happy with just accepting contracts without negotiations so this has given me plenty to think about, especially with a save that doesn't give me much $$ to play with 

Still catching up with the Empire save but had to follow this one too! Great quality like always!! Loving the excels!! Something I use and I find really interesting is the € /minutes played by each player, really paints a clear picture of who you're overpaying but is still worth it, or not. The other is % of wage paid in fees vs the base wage, you can kind of see it in the total wage you pay someone but when seen as a % it makes you think about handing out bonus' when signing new players :stop:

Great job with the skin, still getting used to it but worth it.

On 13/11/2023 at 05:36, _Ben_ said:

image.png.ac2b5089dd241f55476472cbc10a05c6.png

Ahh, the summer winter break: a time for a nice long holiday, a gentle bit of pre-season and a cup competition that is all but worthless to us. NOT! Only the latter of those are actually true. What is more - this period of time has conflicted with the release of my Statman24 skin as well as then the flurry of bug fixes and changes, of which many can be seen below. The biggest change is the way that player attributes are now displayed as an overall level per training group is now displayed, one which varies with scouting knowledge.

---

After thirteen games at the helm, I’ve been able to create the beginnings of a plan that I want to implement at the club, built around clever recruitment and tactical nous. With us just about in the black, but expected to end the year (pre competition prize money anyway) to the tune of €1m in debt, financial prudence is also high on my agenda. At the time of writing, SI have just acknowledged an issue with the Director of Football whereby he won’t complete on any deals. Therefore, my plan going forward is to move to still consult him but then create those deals myself: still a bit more control than I’d like at this stage of my career. However, even the ‘suggest target’ feature is somewhat useless as only two players, both highlighted, are playing within Sweden and, and such, can be scouted without incurring a fee of at least €3k per player – eclipsing the €22k budget and putting all of my eggs in a basket which doesn’t even belong to me.

With that in mind, I first wanted to take a picture of our squad depth to see where we were short on players and where we could, maybe, make do. I like to run a pretty small first team squad, but that is often when I’ve reached the highest levels of the game and can rely on quality youth products coming through. Here, I absolutely cannot. The image, somewhat worryingly, also includes the loanees – Salaou and Svanberg as well as Blomqvist and Jonsson, whose deals are close to expiring. The depth behind the first eleven is worryingly thin, but, as you can see from some financial work, below, we’ve got some constraints!

image.png.21b90e1066a2ef4409f5dadd8e744e81.png

Using the data from last season where I could (n.b. I can’t get a completely accurate figure on the clean sheet bonus for defenders as the game cannot calculate that stat but, to calculate the potential number of Unused Sub fees – I’ve used the percentage of game time missed – from the Medical Centre – to calculate the difference between the games they were available for and the games they appeared in, assuming that, due to my small squad, they were unused on the bench if not on the pitch at any point) I have calculated some costings and compared them to game time. Overall, I’m quite happy but also wary that near half a million euros has been spent on wages before these bonuses, which equates to around €10k per week. When I’m averaging a gate of around 2,300 people a time, we’re not getting close to even covering that. In terms of particular issues – I must say that Pontus Engblom, last year’s top scorer, is somewhat of an issue here. He’s an important player and the club captain but he just doesn’t really fit in with how I play and we’re paying him more than anyone else. Fortunately, he’s got a year left on his deal and is considering his options. Elsewhere, thanks to the little enforced cull, we’re not really paying anyone an unreasonable amount of money based on their game time – but do need to consider some clauses in contracts that, unfortunately, may force my hand somewhat. Whilst I have just spoken about Pontus Engblom’s overall wages and costs – he will actually cost me €200 for every game that I don’t play him in; obviously, less than the €300 for when I do play him but I’m then choosing to field another striker in place of him, who would also have an appearance fee.

Overall, it feels like a pretty straightforward task – keep the weekly wage below €1k and minimise other costs, whilst finding hidden gems in the lower leagues and scouting sensibly around the country! What I could have done is listen to every agent in the world, who wanted to offer me players but, really, I didn’t think that it was realistic. I did, prior to understanding the issue with my director, ask him to make deals for five players who had all left clubs in Sweden at the end of their contracts: Henry Offia, Jake Larsson, Adam Ben Lamin, Charlie Weberg and the statistically-strong Filip Schyberg. However, we were usurped in each one, with more money and bigger and better clubs beating us to our targets. Whether this would’ve been different if I’d have been making the deals or not, I do not know; it feels very much part and parcel of the recruitment process though, so I am not going to complain too much.

However, there was good news to celebrate! I was able to seal new contracts for Jonsson in goal and Blomqvist at centre back as well as the return from loan of Ronaldo Damus – a very one-dimensional forward but a forward with the pace we’ve been craving. Three players who have all represented the club in the top level are going to be staying for, at least, one further year to help us in our attempts to return there. I am also delighted to announce that both Abundance Salaou and Ludvig Svanberg have returned on loan for another season. Below you can see the level of their contributions to our game, with Salaou on the left:

image.png.9ec3a6038ea2fa77695fde799d81572e.png image.png.8ca8175ddfd9bf8191961728ea6f9de1.png

Two brand new players also came through the doors here at Idrottsparken.

Fredrik Martinsson fits the bill for a player who, if I’m being honest, is a bit of a luxury. He’s spent this season at Utsikens, so knows this league well and has come with pretty rave reviews from my coaching team. His performances this season, as a full back, have been strong, with good performances in areas that I like for this role: interceptions and progressive passes (although I’ve realised that this hasn’t worked on my skin).

image.png.e5a3818249ec1c1a08ba242eef822949.png

The luxury element comes when he is compared with Forsberg, my other right back. They are not the same type of player. Forsberg operates as an IFB(d) but I really see Martinsson as more conventional wing back, therefore, would be loathed to have him in the team when we are facing two or more attackers. On the other hand, though, he may be that difference when we’re able to build up in a 2-3-5 rather than a 3-2-5 and I think this different option could be quite powerful when I need to change a game.

My biggest concern comes with the contract that I agreed. When he was originally brought to my attention, I was told that his wage demands would be no more than around €500 a week, but, unfortunately, I wasn’t able to agree a deal of less than €800 which included a locked-in non-promotion clause: the first time I’ve seen that! This means that, potentially, we’ll be putting circa €50k into a player who can walk away for nothing at the end of the season. I must admit to being somewhat hasty with this deal once I’d found my man and may end up regretting it. What it also does is creates two genuine rotational options at right back, which, given my limited budgets, will stretch them even further. Below, I have recalculated the financial impact of this – reducing Forsberg’s game time to twenty appearances and adding twenty for Martinsson, too. This would save somewhere around €40 a week on Lucas’ deal but add nearly €900 for Fredrik, giving a total change of just over €850. A relatively tiny amount, even at our level, but a change never the less which significantly impacts our ‘spare budget’ of around €3k per week.

image.png.1ca7a647de86357a42e43992abbe7132.png

A financial risk, certainly, but player who will develop our tactical creativity and game changing situations. I think I’m happy with this one!

Next through the door is a much safer signing – a loan deal for Malmo youngster André Álvarez Pérez.

image.png.13c7c624cad3f414d46c7ecb97a0ac46.png

Looking at his attribute spread, I’d say he’s nicely aligned to become a decent ball playing defender within our team and has shown the aptitude for that whilst out on loan last year, as you can see from his stats above. Brave, quick and surprisingly good on the ball for a youngster of his age at this level, I am keen to see what he can do on loan. We’re paying €325 per week for his loan spell, which, overall, feels like a good move. The only concern is that is now gives me three right footed centre backs and I am more comfortable playing with one righty and one lefty, but, should he, Svanberg and Blomqvist all be in great form, I also have the option of the false centre back at RB, currently occupied by the aforementioned Forsberg and Martinsson.

---

I'm going to get back into the pre-season, assess where I feel I am and continue the tactical driven posts, particularly as I'm really looking to push on this season!

Absolutely amazing stuff here man. I’ve often wondered about why finances tend to crash the way they do in the smaller markets but never taken the time to dive in the way you have. 

Lots of takeaways to be had from this one!

Edited by Chris_ANZFM

Ben, I love the effort you are putting into this write up. Your table figuring the squad's total cost per annum etc is so simple yet a great refence for the casual reader. I am going to have to assess my squads with this table. I have been getting lazy over the years, but this is a great tool! Keep it up!

On 13/11/2023 at 04:48, Lestri said:

Great approach and description to your financial situation! I am way too trigger happy with just accepting contracts without negotiations so this has given me plenty to think about, especially with a save that doesn't give me much $$ to play with 

On 13/11/2023 at 09:44, RogerC said:

Still catching up with the Empire save but had to follow this one too! Great quality like always!! Loving the excels!! Something I use and I find really interesting is the € /minutes played by each player, really paints a clear picture of who you're overpaying but is still worth it, or not. The other is % of wage paid in fees vs the base wage, you can kind of see it in the total wage you pay someone but when seen as a % it makes you think about handing out bonus' when signing new players

On 14/11/2023 at 23:51, Chris_ANZFM said:

Absolutely amazing stuff here man. I’ve often wondered about why finances tend to crash the way they do in the smaller markets but never taken the time to dive in the way you have. 

20 hours ago, Henke90 said:

That financial table... :p

Thanks all! 

Finances are something that I consider integral to my time here. Whilst Sundsvall is not the end goal, nor is it really my job at this point. However, with €400k in the bank right now, and worrying projections for the coming years, as seen below, I need to be nothing but careful:

image.thumb.png.1ae55457c01b8ff7b91a0c0ba42411d7.png

It adds an added dimension that - through some early career job hopping - I'll likely be righting the wrongs of the previous regimes.

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

If I ever get round to a true FM24 save. I might just have to give the statman skin a go. Can a Tactic guy becomes stat guy? Asking for a friend :lol:

You're already a stats guy! Look at your recruitment! If anything, what I've created makes it easier for me to make those decisions. Can't wait to see what you have in mind though...

16 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

You're already a stats guy! Look at your recruitment! If anything, what I've created makes it easier for me to make those decisions. Can't wait to see what you have in mind though...

I’ve got two weeks till I’m off back to work to get the Happel challenge finished, then I’ll be working out what am going to do. Found out I’ll be getting every Sunday off work in Africa so I’ll take the laptop as it means at least one day of game time but not sure it allows me time to write about it.