[FM24] The Norseman

_Ben_

10 hours ago, BillHoudini24 said:

I don't know if my rumbling helps, but I think you're getting somewhere. It's tough to see exactly what you want in tactics, especially since you had a different approach in the previous FM editions.

Thanks for this! My preferred style is closer to your second image but I'm really trying to experiment and see what works best for me. I will drop into your thread too, at some point. It'd passed me by - sorry!

9 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

I think I just find the inconsistency in the feature irritating and, like I say, that the squad influences outside of mentoring (squad culture or traits) can happen faster and completely randomly. The latter particularly irritates my need for control. 

Completely agree - there is too much randomness here.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

After successes with this method for Elfsborg and the quality of youth I am really focussing on, I think that my core squad - of just twenty players - provides me with enough depth in most areas of the pitch, as you can see below.

I love a versatile squad like that. Every player capable of playing 3+ positions is a gem to be kept.

Very solid update as usual, loving the depth!

On 12/02/2024 at 09:32, _Ben_ said:

image.png.898a74bdc510e218a6a36ee32f47d3c9.png

Faced with predicted losses of over €10m a season, I knew that this transfer window would really be tough and I'd need to pull as many strings and think as far outside of the box as I could to ensure that we came out of it in a stronger position. To be fair - the window has been a little vanilla, in all honesty. I've looked for upgrades where possible and experienced squad depth, rather than expansive scouting and high risk signings. With board demands of only reaching the top half of the 2.Bundesliga this season, I feel that I've got a bit of a free shot whilst I continue to repair the financial damage to the club. My first order of business was to cash in on Agustin Alvarez, who moves to Holland for €8m. This gets over €40k p/w off the wage bill and moves on a player who really was not at his best last season. With a USA snub, part of me expected Tillman to kick up a fuss but, with my recent wage reworking, his salary commitments are way above anyone else here and, as a man with no interest in negotiating anything new, I felt that this could be used to our advantage. As of the time of writing, he remains at the club but efforts to replace him are being explored with more haste than before.

Despite the outgoings of Alvarez and the pre-arranged deals previously mentioned, I decided to instead put my money towards signing free agents, most of whom performed well at their previous clubs. Again, I'll mention the vanilla element to this window but I really think that it was needed. I mentioned the want for an overhaul in a previous update but have now gone ahead and signed just four players - however, each of those brings experience, quality and potential to offer more than just a name on the team sheet. It is that, I truly believe, that will allow me to take the gambles with blooding youth players, changing roles and elements of individual players' games as well as the team shape.

image.png.4884ca55f346234d5a9dd5d94da95ab8.png image.png.b0dfae8f15b844dd6f85aa1117ac1ed5.png

Arijon Ibrahimovic - no relation to Zlatan, who is on my coaching staff - moves to us after a dominant season with Bayern's II team in the 3.Liga. Last year, he recorded thirteen goals - third best in the league - from 8.67xG and a total of 0.59 goal contributions per ninety in a team that, despite finishing fifth, only had the fourteenth best goals scored tally. 0.29xA/90 compared to just 0.16 assists/90 further backs up that a reasonable number of assists (joint 25th in the league) could, and probably should, have been better. Over five and a half progressive actions with a skew towards dribbles and 2.36 key passes per game show me that he's a carrier and a creator, too. With great Flair, Dribbling, Technique and a solid, agile physical base, I truly think he's a coup for the club and expect him to be making noises for a move to the top tier very soon. It's Bayern's loss, clearly, but a testament (and a shock when we get to this level) of their depth that he's not been able to break into the first team. Another man at the top of the scoring charts is Willem Geubbels, whose twelve strikes - from 8.65xG - sits him fourth in the league in a season where his St Gallen side romped to the title. Therefore, this move can be considered another huge coup. Guebbels' average shot xG of just 0.10 is pretty poor and his 14.77% conversion rate can definitely be worked on but his eye for goal is nothing short of fantastic as he covers ground, takes players on and can turn into a creative force, too, with seven assists to his name, bringing his goal involvements to 0.56 per game. I remember him from previous games and what he could become but it seems that he's landed in Switzerland and somewhat found his level; he's really well rounded with little in the way of deficiencies but, most importantly, was €8m cheaper than Alvarez and earns €18k p/w less than him, too. I believe that he could go on, like Arijon before him, to feature at this level and in the top flight, whether that comes with us or not; this two could be a deadly duo!

image.png.30462ce4f6909a9cbe02b3205b91f078.png image.png.c980fb341873b0c6d7f00d5c7b5639ac.png

Noah Lemina - younger and less-famous brother of Mario - is another player to be joining us after a spell in the Swiss top flight. The Lausanne man, on loan from Nice, averaged over three dribbles a game as well as 1.15 key passes per game. FIve goal involvements overall do paper over the cracks of a couple of wobbly years in and around the two Nice sides and the PSG 2 side earlier in his career, sandwiching a successful loan at second tier Sochaux. At 23, I think he's got time left in him to develop and is, again, well rounded - a really clear recruitment decision I have made. However, Lemina is the most creative of these signings whereby I want to utilise him in the centre of the pitch. He's slight - 5'6" and 62kg but he's fast, clever and can progress the ball: ideal for what I want as a central winger, the direct translation of the Mezzala role. There is, of course, some flexibility in this choice as he could easily play wide left, pushing Ibrahimovic to the right and Tillman to the CM(a) role - it's all about options! I have to go back to 2025/26 to find the last full season that Dominik Stumberger played and it was whilst he was at WSG Tirol before a €4.7m move to Salzburg. A left footed centre back who can progress the ball and offer something more than most going forward feels like a sensible transfer, particularly when I face the prospect of losing Hajrizi in the summer and require a stop gap for a couple of years until any of my youth may be ready for first team action.

After successes with this method for Elfsborg and the quality of youth I am really focussing on, I think that my core squad - of just twenty players - provides me with enough depth in most areas of the pitch, as you can see below. I intend to keep the defence as solid as possible, rotating as little as I can in order to maintain the solidity that you can get with well-built partnerships. Plus, the area of the squad where I have most youth quality is in defence, therefore I don't feel overly worried. Going forward, the signings I've brought in and the players I've looked to retain all offer me flexibility in different roles and will allow me to deviate from my original tactical styles and plans when needed. There will be multiple questions to answer further down the line: a considerable number of the squad are entering their final two years, with many in their last, there is a considerable divide between old and young within the squad and we still need to be aware of being usurped by bigger teams for stronger players in the squad who'd happily move elsewhere.

image.thumb.png.ea3ed2f6ca20addfbed36820c24fc0fe.png

---

Pre-season has come and gone by quite nicely. Three cups - courtesy of the @danielgear method and my players are fit and ready to go. I know my strongest side but the reality is that they won't be playing together that often as I want to really dig into the analysis of our opponents this season. Our 3133 shape, with sets of overloads - originally down the right in our earlier transition but then again on the left when we approach the goal, which, to me, is screaming out for a player who can switch play or move quickly to change the dynamic of our attack but, overall, is feeling positive and suited to what we have here.

With eight parts to last season's updates, I intend to split this much cleaner into another couple of updates, giving me a bit more time to dig into the game and develop both tactically and develop the players I have at my disposal. I also want to dig into some player amortisation stuff as I will need to keep a closer eye than ever on the financial implications at the club. I'm positive about the season but also conscious we share a league with Eintracht Frankfurt, Mainz, Heidenheim, Hannover, Kaiserslautern and several other really strong sides.

I need to come back and read this latest update but I just had to say this before it slipped my mind. 

I thought of you immediately when I saw that Hammarby post on X. So I was rather pleasantly surprised to see that it made its way into the thread. 

image.png.a6bf15a51438baa36a96ed7044b06d1c.png

Mid-way through my second season in the Bundesliga and nearing four hundred days into my job, I feel a real sense of purpose here in Germany. I'm building something really quite promising at the club and I'm fully invested in the different areas that I'm trying to develop: tactics, players and finances. That being said - third place in the league is a little misleading at this point. Four wins in a row, albeit against one recently relegated side - Heidenheim - and two other top-half contenders, have papered over some of the cracks that have somewhat haunted our start to the season. Whilst I think we're within the top five or six teams in this league, all of whom are a whole step behind Eintracht Frankfurt, I really do not see us as proper promotion contenders for a number of reasons.

image.thumb.png.844d8e96ac4acf24e22edf06fbdc9d86.png

I think I can use the four players, below, to tell the story of the season so far. Each one has his own goals and targets and these are forcing me into questions, thoughts and decisions - all of which are really enjoyable to think about. A full screenshot of each player's profile can be found by clicking on the thumbnail, below.

image.png.061fa3dbfe089ac2c2f2cc4b08329564.png image.png.c4a7e087d26fef3034e43885e3e1dcb5.png image.png.ebdf5ac7eb9afbfafc16ec398b859c8d.png image.png.de0bc132c9489c4ca3a34aea19227e71.png  

Augustine Tchetchoua - the scoring issue:

It took him seventeen league games, but, in the home tie against Furth, Augustine finally opened his scoring account for this season. The youngster has been thrust into the first team following an injury to Geubbels but has found the going tough and has not been able to replicate his form on last season, where his five goals in nine starts was a solid return. His worries are similar to our entire team though, to be fair. The xG table has us in a decent position but I'm wary of Mainz's form at the moment and expect them to make a real push back up the table, even if Kiel are over performing. Our issue isn't necessary goals, but, quite weirdly it is goals. Our goal output suggest we're good and, looking at the table, it'd suggest the same but look at where those goals come - three against Furth, four against Regensburg, three against Magdeburg yet blanks against Mainz, Frankfurt, Paderborn and Aachen. We just aren't consistently scoring and when you take into account our goals from set pieces, you'll see why. Our set piece efficiency and the fact that our top scorer is 6'7" centre back Lawrence with strike pairing Geubbels and Tchetchoua netting a paltry two, each, highlights the issue. The striker's shooting outputs show that they aren't taking enough shots, largely, or, when they are, they're low xG chances. I think some of this could be solved with my next issue...

Carlos Molina - tactical thoughts:

We've developed a nice new 2233 shape by using a L(s) or L(d) when building up against a one man strikeforce, which is great. It's an observation I've made and works nicely when needed. Yet my issues seem to stem further up the pitch, particularly with the AP(s) role on the right wing. We've lost a little bit of our customary directness and cutting edge and I think a large part of that is how FM creates the playmaker role: largely asking them to get on the ball and slow down the play. Whilst others may not feel the same and I do not have anything more than an eye test to back up it, I'd argue that Molina's outputs - twenty times more passes than dribbles, suggest that he's there as a link rather than a true attacking threat. By moving back to an IW(s) I can create a bit more of a combination role, that takes into account his creativity and his ball carrying skills. Furthermore, adding the 'Focus play down the right' instruction (not shown on that screenshot), I can reduce his risk to Positive, meaning he's likely to pick the ball up in deeper areas, drive forward and still have Passlack on the overlap.

Justin Theide - player pathways:

Justin's performances at 3.Liga side Lubeck, who were struggling in the league, coincided with the forced sale of Hajrizi for €800k to Odd - just weeks before he'd have walked for nothing, creating a spot within the first team. He's just one of a number of promising youngsters that I have along with a longer list who are already integrating into the first team. I'm really enjoying the micro-management of this element and really believe that the lack of a II team here in Germany is giving me even more opportunities for these youngsters to move between squads. The next steps are to utilise the Brommapojkarna link in Sweden and find the right place for that 19+ year old market of a player whose development may not have quite kicked off. I don't have place for them in the first team and (in my eyes) the only downside of a II team is I wouldn't be able to give them minutes to play our way. However, the removal of that more risky scouting business, identifying only players ready for the first team has allowed more focus on bringing through and giving minutes to these players. 

Maik Fischer - youth development:

Whilst not tracking to the degree of previous years, since bringing attributes back, I was interested in just how much my youngsters were moving on so have dumped their numbers into a basic development tracker, which looks at growth across the time they've been with me - the top set since I joined and the bottom since their promotion in March. The first interesting thing that I see here is the importance of that first year, with strong developments made by Samake, Bothmann and Schonwalder. Furthermore, there's still quite a clear link between personality and development, putting an even greater emphasis on how I build my youth coaching setup. It has also produced some unexpected surprises: Stanislaw Majewski was missed off my initial screenshot gathering when I took over, presumably because I planned on releasing him! Now, he's one of several first team candidates that I am now looking to move into the player pathway element of this. The team are doing great, sitting second in their U19 league and playing a slightly different version of my tactic, suited for the players in the team.

---

By the time I write the next update, the season will be completed, I'll have had my youth intake - rated, in a preview, as 'good' - and will have had more time to sit and mull over the financial decisions I will have to make in the summer. Both newly promoted teams, Dusseldorf and St Pauli, sit in the bottom two, furthering my thoughts that we just aren't ready. We'll get a decent chunk if we finish in the top five here and, if I can remove some of the financial burdens at the club and replace carefully, as well as ensuring that I have another year here to blood these late teens/early twenties youngsters, I think we'd be in a much stronger position. That being said - there's a lot of football left to be played...

On 13/02/2024 at 23:04, Chris_ANZFM said:

I thought of you immediately when I saw that Hammarby post on X. So I was rather pleasantly surprised to see that it made its way into the thread. 

94c3588e66066c60704fb8848789f802.png

Chris, I haven't missed this post, I'm just a little bit stuck in the middle. Whilst things are going really well, I'm yet to really create a style that is representative in statistical form. I'm seeing nice shapes but I'm not, yet, seeing a huge number of dribbles or a particular closed defence, for example. We're good crossers, but that's a little inconsequential, as neither of our strikers are good in the air! I think that this year, I'll be able to set the baselines and then start to create my performance improvement areas. Perfection is not an end goal, it's a process!

image.png.a10f8667fc8e8418bdcd02fa48022195.png

I’m going to keep this as a separate ‘off the pitch’ update, with a final end of season update driven by statistical work, hopefully…

image.png.742a1d63146daf4023b5ffb1789ba54b.png image.png.7d9f3041a76f744482ded9782f64a071.png

The sale of a key player is always an important part of the season and I was forced into that when Anderlecht met my €22m valuation of the American attacking midfielder. He’d spoken to me days before about wanting to explore his options at the end of his deal – eighteen months from this point – but I’d been able to talk him down with a spiel about loyalty. Yet it was he who had quickly forgotten that when the Belgian giants came calling and, given his statistical output, felt that the money – given our overall financial situation – would be worth more than the one goal and four assists he’d provided. Furthermore, the two instalments, both in January of €4.25m, would – potentially – fund two further transfer windows, dependent on our situation. Obviously, this coming on deadline day meant that I was rushed to source a sensible replacement so, instead, was left with the promotion of academy player Christoph Kuhn. He’s far from perfect but is a wrong-footed right winger who can play backup to Molina.

Speaking of the young German/Spaniard, I moved to make a decision that I’ve not made before: using this opportunity to offer Molina a new deal, with the clause that, should he assist seven more goals this season, I’d make him a Regular Starter for next. Pretty self-explanatory really – he’s now got a realistic target to work towards and, if he achieves it, will have performed well enough to be part of my first team plans and probably one of my more valuable players. I then did the same for Tchetchoua, with an added €97k (some two and a half months wages), should he score fifteen times with the aforementioned promise of regularity to his starting time (and, probably a €15m income from the sale of Geubbels – who is already showing murmurs of annoyance at not being the first choice striker but would bring in a fee that’d dwarf the bonus Tchetchoua would earn) if he reaches ten goals. He promptly scored twice on the day after I’d begun this contract renewal, which feels incredibly promising or the long term future for him.

Elsewhere, I allowed Stanislaw Majewski to get some defending practice at the Eredivisie’s bottom side, NAC. Not an ideal place for him to cut his teeth but his rise to prominence has been so quick and so unexpected, I’d already recalled Theide to the first team and, as such, felt the playing time, wherever it came, would be of more benefit to him. With six teenagers – Fischer, Kuhn, Thiede, Sommer, Tchetchoua and Molina as well as four more at twenty-one or under, Maier, Adams, Kozic and Kohler, I feel that there has been a complete culture change here. All of the above players, bar Adams - bought in by the previous regime – are home-grown in the academy and have had a clear journey marked to the first team. However, with an average age of 23.15, our team is young and really inexperienced. With no real plans – despite our lofty position and good form – to be in any place other than this league next year, my focus is to now supplement these players with strong-personality, experienced heads who can bring the best out of the young players I have.

---

With youth intake day nearing, I felt that - given the nature of my save - it was important to share the development of the promising youth from the last intake. Full development profiles can be seen by clicking each screenshot.

image.png.46780d82a92daddf8504b3c0207e76d5.png image.png.28264f760a31e935cb05fb6b58afa983.png

image.png.230891d375b86b3e0b7bdead7f5c8c99.png image.png.407ec2166ceb56b24bed840f9e891abd.png

I am delighted to see that, overall, the players are generally improving just a little bit more each month. Watanabe's loss, around October last year, cannot be attributed to an injury or an a change to the additional focus (as this is repeated in February and July and a repeated pattern wasn't evident there) but it's important that I look at this, along with the smaller losses for Samake and Schonwalder, to ensure that the youth training is optimal and pushing them each month. With three of the four born in 2012, they'll still have one further season at this level before I either move them on loan or bring them into the first team, but, given our development over the past year and a half, I cannot say for certain where we will be and what the first team will look like at that point. Ideally, a spell in Sweden (as three players just have done) will be an ideal stepping stone for them to cut their teeth in adult football at what is a pretty decent level.

The youth intake itself felt a little underwhelming. No elite talents, at first glance, yet, once the dust had settled and my scholars were announced, that figure had changed to two. The five players below - all of whom have a full profile screenshot linked through their thumbnail - are the most promising of the bunch and the most likely to make the move to earning professional, first team football either here or elsewhere.

image.png.2ecd2bdf565d2380fc838415a2e26a61.png image.png.97008c2454f482582d7d5dd72da808e7.png image.png.b5c103c70ef69d7e9049c24b2c26c536.png image.png.c9fa035f4d7b93cf67c50e805232810c.png image.png.b8d00e7043b165260e6443934e052ba0.png

---

As the season moves closer towards the conclusion, I can reveal that interest in both Geubbels and my second French signing of the summer, Lemina, has intensified, largely down to the development of my youth players here. I truly believe that this bunch of players is good enough to get us promoted but, as previously mentioned, we're still not quite doing it as I'd like to. I think that the summer is going to be a great time to reflect on that from a holistic perspective as opposed to an individual player level. Despite this being a purely player orientated update, there is still an incredible amount of focus and concentration put into the training, match day build up and actual match - like nothing I've ever done before.

In the spirit of previous posts and now I've learnt the motto....Nur der VfL!

3 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

image.png.a10f8667fc8e8418bdcd02fa48022195.png

- are the most promising of the bunch and the most likely to make the move to earning professional, first team football either here or elsewhere

I feel like this is such a key element that so many FM players don’t consider when it comes to intakes. 

Judgement on an intake almost always comes down to how it will impact the Users first team.

5 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

94c3588e66066c60704fb8848789f802.png

Chris, I haven't missed this post, I'm just a little bit stuck in the middle. Whilst things are going really well, I'm yet to really create a style that is representative in statistical form. I'm seeing nice shapes but I'm not, yet, seeing a huge number of dribbles or a particular closed defence, for example. We're good crossers, but that's a little inconsequential, as neither of our strikers are good in the air! I think that this year, I'll be able to set the baselines and then start to create my performance improvement areas. Perfection is not an end goal, it's a process!

Honestly, the time required is not surprising. Sometimes this kind of thing is a little too much of a niche compared to what FM can realistically achieve. The fun though, can be found in the process of trying to replicate rather than actually achieving the end result. Either way, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. 

3 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Speaking of the young German/Spaniard, I moved to make a decision that I’ve not made before: using this opportunity to offer Molina a new deal, with the clause that, should he assist seven more goals this season, I’d make him a Regular Starter for next. Pretty self-explanatory really – he’s now got a realistic target to work towards and, if he achieves it, will have performed well enough to be part of my first team plans and probably one of my more valuable players.

Big fan of this. I haven't really used the targets so far, except for a couple of outgoing loans. I am definitely stealing this idea.

Have you noticed any changes to Determination from players meeting or failing to meet targets? I ask because one of my players had a drop of Determination immediately after failing his target to score 10 goals on loan. I wonder if this is coincidental or is intended to reflect that he has just lost heart that he'll make it. Would be interested to know if others have had the same.

Tarnowski an option to challenge Moreno as the wrong-footed playmaker coming in from the right?

8 hours ago, Chris_ANZFM said:

Judgement on an intake almost always comes down to how it will impact the Users first team.

True. I think that, for me with the creation of a player pathway from the U19 team too, it's potentially even more than that; what holes do I have that need filling? How can I stop myself needing to recruit? How old are these youngsters?

8 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Big fan of this. I haven't really used the targets so far, except for a couple of outgoing loans. I am definitely stealing this idea.

Have you noticed any changes to Determination from players meeting or failing to meet targets? I ask because one of my players had a drop of Determination immediately after failing his target to score 10 goals on loan. I wonder if this is coincidental or is intended to reflect that he has just lost heart that he'll make it. Would be interested to know if others have had the same.

To be honest - it's my first time trying it out, so I'm now a little apprehensive as Molina has registered exactly zero assists in his quest for eight. I was not aware that the target was 'from that point on' and not accumulative. I don't think that either will actually reach their target based on this information - shame but I can't expect successes everywhere and every time: that's just not realistic.

8 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Tarnowski an option to challenge Moreno as the wrong-footed playmaker coming in from the right?

I don't know! The three players below are vying for the striker spot in my youth squad. I use an IW(s) there because Sadirov fits that mould on the right hand side but I don't actually think Tarnowski is really made up to be a striker as his movement is lacking as is his finishing. That being said - there's no huge holes in his game and my Trequartista role does require a pretty well rounded passer/finisher, which he is. It's really early in his development and it's likely my U19 manager will play him wherever is needed, so I'll let the dust settle for 12 months or so and see where we're at with him!

image.png.d4c1cfc431034c2b9d59113008665397.png

image.png.5b932685b705ab1d19ea4c7aa0bf38e8.png

image.png.d0f47c35303174abeb150d6950f230be.png

image.png.6ac1421b81285fa5f25c6b5122503c38.png

The end of the season marks a really important time in my tenure here in Germany. Less than eighteen months ago, I was a Champions League manager, having wrapped up successive top flight titles in Sweden, losing only once in sixty games. Now, I sit here faced with a third season in the 2.Bundesliga and a lot of questions to ask myself and my tema. That being said, I'm completely committed to the job and have shunned interest from a couple of top flight teams across the continent of late, with the power of the project keeping me sucked in here in Germany. Longer term - and I'm talking five or six years - it may become necessary to take the next step but I've always enjoyed building on more mediocre budgets and within tighter constraints, which is what we've got here at Bochum: from the 26,000 seater stadium to the financial implications that will surely subside following several seasons in the top flight.

image.png.5a79bb1bcaeb1cf5177c16115f75d788.png

image.thumb.png.4e7fe4400a13e992cceb7b0520d6f025.png

As is so often the case, the finest of margins and the smallest of losses have held us back. We could mention the loss to Heidenheim, where a shocking start saw us 2-0 after ten minutes but a valiant effort was in vein as we could not find the equaliser, which would - all things staying the same - have seen us ahead of Darmstadt on goal difference. If it wasn't that, maybe it was the sickening last gasp defeat to the hands of the side that pipped us to automatic promotion or the pair of no shows against Paderborn and Regensburg, where our dilapidated side couldn't handle the heat. Nevertheless, we look back with pride as our finish tops that of last year and the year before, where they finished fourth in their first season since relegation. Looking at individual stats, through the order of minutes played, you'll see attempts at proper squad rotation were tough - injuries took their toll on the latter half of the season and both failed targets showed that there were areas that we didn't quite achieve what I set out to do. That being said - Tchetchoua ended with thirteen goals and, when you consider that he didn't score in any of the first fifteen league games, this is a pretty solid return. Likewise, Lawrence's aerial superiority showed from set pieces, allowing Ibrahimovic to somewhat falsely inflate his assist tally. 

Next season, under the stewardship of Vincent Kompany, Union Berlin will be joining us, along with St Pauli, who weren't cut out for the to flight and leave after just a year there. Within our division, Mainz - who somehow justified a €31m fee for a defender in January - will surely want to improve on their pretty awful showing and ten place failing below their xPos. There will also be a Hannover side who will surely not want to spend much longer at this level but, aside from that, the floor is ours as we can hopefully push on and assert our dominance.

image.png.5c5edd4fe149304b353cc9968cd38443.png

When I moved to Bochum, I tried to explain my tactical thoughts through a series of bullet points which would, in the Hammarby method, lead to a series of metrics that could be used to calculate quality of performance as well as outcome of it. Below are those five core ideologies of our play, now adapted - in bold - to show our amendments and changes in style of play. The core goal remains the same though and I do feel that, however slowly we are moving, we are still moving forward with it.

• Calm build-up through numerical advantages in a 3-2 shape shape matched to have one more player than the opposition in the early transition: either 3-2, 3-1 or 2-2 box.
  • Progress the ball forward vertically through overloads in the centre of the pitch wide areas to create spaces centrally.
  • Get the ball into and around zone 14.
  • Run at the opposition defence and counter attack from turnovers in the middle third.
  • Win the ball back through a solid defensive line rather than committing to duels.

Whilst the comparison cannot exactly be aligned, due to the fact I took over midway through the 28/29 season, there are some interesting developments:

image.thumb.png.c1ca90dab3ba24d11e5d6f803e3bf750.png

Less possession than last year, which is interesting and would require a little more investigation. My thoughts are that we're no longer having quite as much possession in the defensive third, given the fact we've moved away from a 5-3-2 shape, where, previously, we'd definitely have more than one extra player there. We're creating more without a huge amount more passes in the final third - which, actually, I am not against - showing that we are trying to be clinical. That, yet, isn't working with a drop in average shot xG - indicating that some of our attacking play is not quite as free and as well-rehearsed as it should be. The turnover and transitional elements are stronger as we have improved our dribbling and interceptions rate, whilst dropping - or, at least, what looks like dropping, our defensive line. The hint states that this is point of first defensive contact, which actually indicates that we have not necessarily dropped deeper but have become far more compact in shape - something which I was keen to do. It has also allowed the opposition conversion rate to stay the same, suggesting that the chances they are creating and, importantly, the quality of our goalkeeping, hasn't diminished.

Something that I intend to look back on this year and further develop through some recruitment.

image.png.1bb4fbeeb6c09360d92389293f5d322f.png

With my ambitions lofty, this summer will be as important as ever as I look to build a squad that will see us win promotion from this division.

image.png.ea321a54549b2ca2161deb1d765c0e7f.png image.png.0c6967b599674f8b85c17347637582cd.png image.png.ff652e36fd77fd62dabde46739da92ce.png

I started the summer recruitment off with a handful of games left to go - selling two of my French imports for a whopping €19m in profit, despite neither of them actually playing well. Geubbels was somewhat usurped by Tchetchoua in his quest for ten league goals across the second half of the season and his murmerings were picked up by another Belgian team, following Anderlecht's move for Tillman earlier in the season. At €12m, this is a great figure for a someone who was essentially a backup. Likewise, Lemina moves to Belgium for €7m as I came to the conclusion that a full retraining mission of a player just about entering their prime must be handled carefully - and this one wasn't exactly done so. He's a decent player but €7m is a great figure that I intend to repurpose into the signings of several new players:

• Rotational strikerNow that Tchetchoua - a full Cameroonian international and representing them at the World Cup this summer - has virtually cemented himself as first choice, I feel that it is imperative I have an older striker, one with more than the fifty-odd senior games that the youngster has played, available to rotate in. Clearly, his half-season goal drought has has a lasting memory with me and it's something I'm keen to ensure I have the resources to ensure I can manage better next time. Because there will always be a next time.
  • Rotational right wingerWith Molina's failed target, I need reinforcements here. My promise to develop youth means that he'll get all the time he needs but I cannot, realistically, be carrying a playmaker who is creating just a handful of goals a season into the top flight, where he is completely untested. I will, however, support him as much as humanly possibly in his quest to become that combo creator/dribbler and want to partner him with a player in a similar mould.
  • Ball carrying centre midI believe that Osterhage has been immense this season but I have little in the way of depth behind him, bar Jan Sommer, who could really use some time out on loan to develop and gain experience. Again, I'll put faith in him developing but feel that some experience here would help. He'd potentially join a small group of players who are enjoying success elsewhere as developmental loans.
  • A dribbly centre midIt's time to introduce players who can carry the ball more in my quest to rise up the dribbly rankings and I think a centre mid is needed here. Tillman's absence has never been filled and Maier is young and, again, could do with some extra experience. 
  • Rotational right back: The stalwart Passlack played all but thirty-four minutes of first team football this year and, therefore, some assisting for his aging legs is much needed. A player who possesses similar traits - in terms of getting forward - is key here, despite this role not exactly being in my long, long term plans. As such, a converted winger or someone who could even play as a ball carrying midfielder might be a positive option for us to ensure that we get the best for our money.
  • Upgraded keeper: Not an 'essential' but Gebhart's '2' for Determination and not fantastic ball playing ability can always be a marginal gain for us.

The best part of this summer is that I now have some money! With €19m from above sales, I will also receive €4.25m in both January 2031 and January 2032 from the Tillman sale. Combine that, with a sort of 'eggs in one basket' approach and I'll see €15m+ for prize money at the end of the season and €30m+ for prize money at the end of the season following promotion. I am conscious that I want to keep within our wage structure but build in bonuses and new wages post-promotion, knowing that it'll sweeten a deal now but also save money in the long run through forced renewals. Yet, this summer should see a departure from the 'free transfer business' of last - regardless of the success and the profit I have turned in such a short time.

I always reach a point in my save where I want to do this. I've tried to achieve it on previous games but it's going to get my full attention here. My plan is to create shortlists, with at least three men on each. I will use of DoF if I don't want to structure payments but will look to spread payments cleverly, something which I am notoriously bad at doing. Below, I have the beginnings on my shortlist for the right winger role:

image.thumb.png.c702dee9373d7ca8c717d535a8cb05be.png

The fun here comes working through and deciding on how to order these. Clearly, Kluivert is the biggest name here but he comes with the downsides of being 31 and also wanting a substantial wage and, more than likely, would not settle for being in rotation with Molina. Then there is Borges, a player I seem to remember from FM-fandoms in years gone by. Seems decent, but playing for Jong Ajax. They're a second tier team like us, but, really, would he improve us? Then it comes down to stats - dribbles and key passes are the name of the game for this role and, for reference, Molina averaged 1.82 and 1.39 respectively in these metrics last season. Therefore, it'd be Sari that is the only player that comfortably exceeds them but part of me has an interest in Siaka too, mainly for the fact that it's still mid-season in Sweden and I can go and watch him play for my old team GIF, where his chances created and dribbles per game rank him pretty high when combined.

I then have this same process for all of the above positional needs! FUN!

Nur der VfL!

Your posts are always inspiring Ben! The level of detail and the eye for statistics allows for a different fm experience.

I also like the changes you made in your tactical outline, it's normal to refine your approach as you move forward.

I think third time is the charm, next year Bundesliga!

1 hour ago, BillHoudini24 said:

Your posts are always inspiring Ben! The level of detail and the eye for statistics allows for a different fm experience.

I also like the changes you made in your tactical outline, it's normal to refine your approach as you move forward.

I think third time is the charm, next year Bundesliga!

Thanks! My tactical changes initially came about as reactionary following my takeover here but, now that I've garnered a deeper understanding for the players, have been able to adapt it. That, for me, is a huge step forward as tactics have always been a weakness for me.

The 2.Bundesliga does feel at it's weakest if I'm being brutally honest - so this is absolutely the chance we must take.

49 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

Nice stats breakdown.  How are you computing defensive line height?

It's already in game! I've edited stuff on this panel but don't think I've unhidden anything you couldn't get your hands on previously...

d2709d8936b10c653ba256583c78f42f.png

I always have problems with keeping to a wage and playing time structure, because I almost always run into agents or players always moaning about a new contract or playing time. And it usually happens just after or just before the transfer window.

Also at my current team, The AI gave out some ridiculous wages to players. I am "forced" to play a 20 yo GK because he makes $10M/year.

I think some of my problem is the lack of Basque players in the playing pool creates stupid inflation of wages and transfer fees. 

I really would like to do better at scouting and recruiting and building realistic pathways from affiliate teams to the first team.

Just wanted to end this with I always find something interesting in every post you make. Always something to think about.

3 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

I always have problems with keeping to a wage and playing time structure, because I almost always run into agents or players always moaning about a new contract or playing time. And it usually happens just after or just before the transfer window.

Also at my current team, The AI gave out some ridiculous wages to players. I am "forced" to play a 20 yo GK because he makes $10M/year.

I think some of my problem is the lack of Basque players in the playing pool creates stupid inflation of wages and transfer fees. 

I really would like to do better at scouting and recruiting and building realistic pathways from affiliate teams to the first team.

Just wanted to end this with I always find something interesting in every post you make. Always something to think about.

Thanks Hootie! I've learnt so much from others and often find myself reading and re-reading people's posts when something catches my eye.

I'm ill at the moment so have spent my afternoon just staring at FM and, truth be told, it's been one of the most exciting windows I've ever had. The way I've built recruitment pools has meant I've been usurped on some, gone back for better ideas on others, moved players up the virtual list, and then just down right made missed out on some, which may come back to bite me. Nevertheless, I think we've strengthened and I'm excited to write about this process.

image.png.28027dbcaa3da26e4e3edf9e40c33d00.png

image.png.d53879d6f2d7c82460d5ae23e9eb7d77.png

I hadn't planned much in the way of further departures given our ever-increasing bank balance and financial prudence and it was only Stumberger who added to the list of senior departures, moving, like the two before him, for pure profit after arriving for free last summer. That, for me, solidifies that - whilst last summer feels very non-permanent - it was an important and successful window as the financial windfall has secured our future in terms of potential for our own spending or on wage increases.

image.png.c188e7f856a7eeee84740b6c94b54681.png

image.png.b75fb2452100614d21c7991b273f4584.png

It's mad that I'm able to write such an important update that comes two (in-game) weeks after the last one but I've absolutely loved this process and feel that I've set the standard for my own recruitment methods in  FM24 and beyond. 

All of my recruitment work is now done through scouting focuses - no more manual scouting unless I've chosen to watch a particularly player in a match and then get interested in another! That, to me, feels very realistic as my time is spent on the training pitch and in the dugout. I set my scouts out with a pretty wide set of instructions, looking for certain positions and certain types of players (bargains, youth, experience, contract expiry) and in certain areas (Germans and, currently, Swedes, are top of my list for future) before then streamlining them through a set of shortlists like those that I showed in my last update. For me, this is when my work starts. The initial work is built around statistical analysis meaning it's rare that I'll be signing unused players or those on the periphery of their squads unless I am secure in their quality through previous data collections. I then rank these in terms of my preference and begin to work through this list, ensuring that my priorities are met. For this window, I did not utilise the DoF - who can automate this process because I wanted to be coy about wage structures, ensuring that I paid players less this year with contract boosts upon 30 games (around our potential promotion or, if not, a time when I'll have thoroughly judged why we haven't gone up and how they're playing). For example, a contract may look like:

• €20k p/w base wage (negotiated down from €26k)
  • A 20% top division wage increase, taking their wage to €24k p/w
  • A wage increase upon 30 games taking their base wage to €25k p/w, knowing that this will likely come after promotion and I can achieve that 'new contract boost' at a time when they may be asking for parity in terms of other Bundesliga players.
  • An assist or goal bonus that work outs at between one or two months wages (€50k to €100k in this example) knowing that, should they score or assist ten or more, I'll probably be doing pretty well!

As I said, I set my stall out with at least five players in each area and the below four are the deals that I made. What is the best - and most realistic - for me is that some of these were not first choice and I probably could've done better or signed a more expensive player if I were to relax my budget structure. However, I wanted to stick to my own morals and the ideology I built for recruitment and have now got these four new signings.

image.png.77aca87e25d549c45ff3007f3c5b3dc7.png image.png.62149e82a48120657106457b9a07a961.png

I ended up with Sari despite making two moves for Kluivert - firstly when he was still in contract with Bournemouth but was, as expected, knocked back by his €50k p/w demands and then, secondly, following his release where a meagre €15k p/w wage was agreed. Sadly, he chose to move to Portugal. What was important though here is that my move for Yusuf Sari was already underway, as I opted to consider several options at the same time before I'd then - with good fortune - be able to pull the plug on all but one. His contract is exactly as intended - a lower wage here and a secured 'Squad Player' status that allows him to rotate with Molinbut then earn more upon a successful season here. I liked the stats that he produced in Turkey's top flight and he feels like a good option based on what I saw. He moved to second in the list after I watched Siaka but was unimpressed by his desire to always move to his right foot, something that Sari won't do, allowing us to naturally narrow to create space out wide for Passlack.

Dzenan Pejcinovic wasn't at the top of the list for a striker but, when I weighed up the pros and cons, I felt that he was a good deal on a free transfer. His history shows that he's bobbed between the first and II team for Stuttgart but his stats, above, came from a loan at Karlsruhe, who play at our level. His attribute balance looks pretty decent for this level and, as previously stated, he's very much backup, which my other options - namely a now-33 year old Kelechi Iheanacho - would not accept.

image.png.13a8223bdd65f23dfce2efea75918e59.png image.png.6f963e0c0110bf1d8065414a15179307.png

Mehmet Aydin was the first purchase of my tenure here - costing €1.3m and potentially rising to €1.5m from relegated Union Berlin. As you can probably tell from this recruitment drive and built upon stats from last year - dribbling and ball carrying was key for me to improve. I feel that Aydin is capable of bombing up and down the right wing and delivering crosses. Whilst I often find myself looking at stats and thinking 'ahhh - he's poor' I need to remove that sometimes. Here, Aydin is compared to all defenders in the Bundesliga, for a team who finished seventeenth. He's still in the top 50% of defenders for progressing the ball and, despite a lot of backs to the wall defending, he still manages to intercept a decent amount. As a team that rarely found the net or were afforded any attacking freedom, it's no wonder he didn't dribble a huge amount. Yet, his stats compared to just full backs are decent- he can cross and has got himself a hand in a few goals, too. I think he'll rotate nicely with Passlack despite, again, being second choice in this area after Bahia insisted on wanting €6m for a full back who'd never played in Europe before. 

Javier Fernandez is the last man through the door and the one I'm most excited about. Like Ibrahimovic before him, he's a product of Bayern II yet his formative years were at Atletico. His stats ar pretty ridiculous but it wasn't until I watched his that I saw he played as the deepest midfielder, essentially a 6, which just stopped any dribbling from him. Yet, looking at his attributes, I feel an urge to get him carrying the ball forward and causing havoc in Zone 14.  He was first choice but I had to be very careful with the deal as Paderborn snuck in at the last minute, leading to an ultimatum where his agent said 'pay this and he'll come or he's off' - luckily, I was able to. His free transfer was the third of the summer for us.

Despite having created some €20m to play with, I spent just over 5% of that on incoming deals, instead tying a few players down to longer contracts and then starting the recruitment drive for next summer, utilising some of this money to widen my scouting scope. It might not seem much - there are no hidden gems here or players who've really come in to do something different to what they've done before but this was another summer where it was evolution and not revolution, as is my preference. It just feels so realistic - knowing that I could've had Kluivert (Bournemouth), Nathan (Bahia), Ulrich (Wolfsburg) in these roles but actually don't and that I need to build the style around what I do have not what I may have wanted! 

image.png.d97c919cc9a1f92fa0a2e850e1ac05b4.png

image.thumb.png.f7c2113074853a4ac69f696ed4d7cc2e.png

I think that my squad is now potentially a little bloated now – 22 senior players is 3 to 4 more than I’d normally like, especially to give minutes to youth. I like to run with a smaller first team to allow opportunities and, as such, may use the remainder of the window to consider the following departures:

• Adams out with Thiede able to cover LB and Fischer able to cover at CB too.
  • Will out with Sommer or Thiede able to cover at DM and Voss on loan who can play DM and CB too.
  • Kohler out with Molina, Ibrahimov, Sari and Pejcinovic able to cover at AML and Kuhn out on loan who can cover both wings too.

There does feel like there is a quite a lot riding on this season - only in terms of my objectives though, as the board are content with a top half finish again. My tactical tweaks will need to work and work quickly though if I want to achieve those goals.

Nur der VfL!

19 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

image.png.28027dbcaa3da26e4e3edf9e40c33d00.png

image.png.d53879d6f2d7c82460d5ae23e9eb7d77.png

I hadn't planned much in the way of further departures given our ever-increasing bank balance and financial prudence and it was only Stumberger who added to the list of senior departures, moving, like the two before him, for pure profit after arriving for free last summer. That, for me, solidifies that - whilst last summer feels very non-permanent - it was an important and successful window as the financial windfall has secured our future in terms of potential for our own spending or on wage increases.

image.png.c188e7f856a7eeee84740b6c94b54681.png

image.png.b75fb2452100614d21c7991b273f4584.png

It's mad that I'm able to write such an important update that comes two (in-game) weeks after the last one but I've absolutely loved this process and feel that I've set the standard for my own recruitment methods in  FM24 and beyond. 

All of my recruitment work is now done through scouting focuses - no more manual scouting unless I've chosen to watch a particularly player in a match and then get interested in another! That, to me, feels very realistic as my time is spent on the training pitch and in the dugout. I set my scouts out with a pretty wide set of instructions, looking for certain positions and certain types of players (bargains, youth, experience, contract expiry) and in certain areas (Germans and, currently, Swedes, are top of my list for future) before then streamlining them through a set of shortlists like those that I showed in my last update. For me, this is when my work starts. The initial work is built around statistical analysis meaning it's rare that I'll be signing unused players or those on the periphery of their squads unless I am secure in their quality through previous data collections. I then rank these in terms of my preference and begin to work through this list, ensuring that my priorities are met. For this window, I did not utilise the DoF - who can automate this process because I wanted to be coy about wage structures, ensuring that I paid players less this year with contract boosts upon 30 games (around our potential promotion or, if not, a time when I'll have thoroughly judged why we haven't gone up and how they're playing). For example, a contract may look like:

• €20k p/w base wage (negotiated down from €26k)
  • A 20% top division wage increase, taking their wage to €24k p/w
  • A wage increase upon 30 games taking their base wage to €25k p/w, knowing that this will likely come after promotion and I can achieve that 'new contract boost' at a time when they may be asking for parity in terms of other Bundesliga players.
  • An assist or goal bonus that work outs at between one or two months wages (€50k to €100k in this example) knowing that, should they score or assist ten or more, I'll probably be doing pretty well!

As I said, I set my stall out with at least five players in each area and the below four are the deals that I made. What is the best - and most realistic - for me is that some of these were not first choice and I probably could've done better or signed a more expensive player if I were to relax my budget structure. However, I wanted to stick to my own morals and the ideology I built for recruitment and have now got these four new signings.

image.png.77aca87e25d549c45ff3007f3c5b3dc7.png image.png.62149e82a48120657106457b9a07a961.png

I ended up with Sari despite making two moves for Kluivert - firstly when he was still in contract with Bournemouth but was, as expected, knocked back by his €50k p/w demands and then, secondly, following his release where a meagre €15k p/w wage was agreed. Sadly, he chose to move to Portugal. What was important though here is that my move for Yusuf Sari was already underway, as I opted to consider several options at the same time before I'd then - with good fortune - be able to pull the plug on all but one. His contract is exactly as intended - a lower wage here and a secured 'Squad Player' status that allows him to rotate with Molinbut then earn more upon a successful season here. I liked the stats that he produced in Turkey's top flight and he feels like a good option based on what I saw. He moved to second in the list after I watched Siaka but was unimpressed by his desire to always move to his right foot, something that Sari won't do, allowing us to naturally narrow to create space out wide for Passlack.

Dzenan Pejcinovic wasn't at the top of the list for a striker but, when I weighed up the pros and cons, I felt that he was a good deal on a free transfer. His history shows that he's bobbed between the first and II team for Stuttgart but his stats, above, came from a loan at Karlsruhe, who play at our level. His attribute balance looks pretty decent for this level and, as previously stated, he's very much backup, which my other options - namely a now-33 year old Kelechi Iheanacho - would not accept.

image.png.13a8223bdd65f23dfce2efea75918e59.png image.png.6f963e0c0110bf1d8065414a15179307.png

Mehmet Aydin was the first purchase of my tenure here - costing €1.3m and potentially rising to €1.5m from relegated Union Berlin. As you can probably tell from this recruitment drive and built upon stats from last year - dribbling and ball carrying was key for me to improve. I feel that Aydin is capable of bombing up and down the right wing and delivering crosses. Whilst I often find myself looking at stats and thinking 'ahhh - he's poor' I need to remove that sometimes. Here, Aydin is compared to all defenders in the Bundesliga, for a team who finished seventeenth. He's still in the top 50% of defenders for progressing the ball and, despite a lot of backs to the wall defending, he still manages to intercept a decent amount. As a team that rarely found the net or were afforded any attacking freedom, it's no wonder he didn't dribble a huge amount. Yet, his stats compared to just full backs are decent- he can cross and has got himself a hand in a few goals, too. I think he'll rotate nicely with Passlack despite, again, being second choice in this area after Bahia insisted on wanting €6m for a full back who'd never played in Europe before. 

Javier Fernandez is the last man through the door and the one I'm most excited about. Like Ibrahimovic before him, he's a product of Bayern II yet his formative years were at Atletico. His stats ar pretty ridiculous but it wasn't until I watched his that I saw he played as the deepest midfielder, essentially a 6, which just stopped any dribbling from him. Yet, looking at his attributes, I feel an urge to get him carrying the ball forward and causing havoc in Zone 14.  He was first choice but I had to be very careful with the deal as Paderborn snuck in at the last minute, leading to an ultimatum where his agent said 'pay this and he'll come or he's off' - luckily, I was able to. His free transfer was the third of the summer for us.

Despite having created some €20m to play with, I spent just over 5% of that on incoming deals, instead tying a few players down to longer contracts and then starting the recruitment drive for next summer, utilising some of this money to widen my scouting scope. It might not seem much - there are no hidden gems here or players who've really come in to do something different to what they've done before but this was another summer where it was evolution and not revolution, as is my preference. It just feels so realistic - knowing that I could've had Kluivert (Bournemouth), Nathan (Bahia), Ulrich (Wolfsburg) in these roles but actually don't and that I need to build the style around what I do have not what I may have wanted! 

image.png.d97c919cc9a1f92fa0a2e850e1ac05b4.png

image.thumb.png.f7c2113074853a4ac69f696ed4d7cc2e.png

I think that my squad is now potentially a little bloated now – 22 senior players is 3 to 4 more than I’d normally like, especially to give minutes to youth. I like to run with a smaller first team to allow opportunities and, as such, may use the remainder of the window to consider the following departures:

• Adams out with Thiede able to cover LB and Fischer able to cover at CB too.
  • Will out with Sommer or Thiede able to cover at DM and Voss on loan who can play DM and CB too.
  • Kohler out with Molina, Ibrahimov, Sari and Pejcinovic able to cover at AML and Kuhn out on loan who can cover both wings too.

There does feel like there is a quite a lot riding on this season - only in terms of my objectives though, as the board are content with a top half finish again. My tactical tweaks will need to work and work quickly though if I want to achieve those goals.

Nur der VfL!

Loving it Ben! Utilising the DOF is something I have yet to try. I still love making those deals. The stockpiling of shortlist players is the way it’s done I usually have five players each position am tracking closely, but as always you’ve taken it to the next level infact into the stratosphere. So much depth in everything you do. Your a really testament to the game and how it really should be played am sure many others like me draw so much inspiration from your updates. 

image.png.d55357eced8da76369171d334976c412.png

image.png.3a917f01242b14310495e7a186d170f8.png

image.png.de33374a197f0412216980aa157453b0.png

As soon as I saw Fernandez’ attributes, I really wanted to give him the opportunity to create havoc in Zone 14 as an advanced playmaker. That, however, meant that there’d need to be some switching of roles – as I don’t feel that two playmakers would work with this style and could possibly slow the play down more than I wanted. Whilst a T(a) is a playmaker, I don’t feel as they’re as much of a ball magnet and I’d already used one in a previous shape, just in the striker role. It would also mean a change to that role – with two more rounded forwards in Tchetchoua and Pejcinovic – the CF(a) role came into play and I feel I can mitigate their combined lack of heading ability through our style, anyway. With a focus already on to work play through the middle and an AP(a) role that is already quite attacking, removing the ‘Get Further Forward’ player instruction felt like a sensible option.

Here, in our early build up, we have a very clear 3133 shape which means I am able to play diagonally and forwards with several banks of overloads. Having two wrong footed players in that right-sided bank – Osterhage and Molina are left footed – it means that their natural body shape brings them back inside to play in one of the three attackers. What I like most about this still in the Samake, deputising in this game, is holding his width – despite playing as a more conservative IW(s) yet the FB is still drawn to him. Whilst the ball is a good thirty plus yards away, here Fernandez is two on one with Tchechtoua up top, or, if he moves, two on one with Samake on the full back. Being able to move the ball through Ndiquidi and forward is going to be a key element of our play here. In this still, I’ve been able to get Fernandez on the ball in a pocket of space as the midfield has been baited into pressing the Molina/Osterhage/Passlack overload but the ball has bypassed them. Again, he can drive forwards and Samake and Tchetchoua are now potentially part of a 2v1 versus their full back. Even more interesting for me is how the T(a) and BBM(s) operate when the ball is out on the left. Osterhage occupies an aggressive position, one that I’d consider more akin to that of a CM(a), Mez(a) or AP(s) but a quick switch, again, can create a 3v2 with Passlack on that side.

Overall, it's a little more scripted than I'd normally like in terms of team instructions as I tend to try and use roles that allow that within them. However, things like low crossing cannot be controlled by a player role and I feel you can have the same roles play the same at different tempos: a winger will hold his shape and cross at a lower tempo but will naturally progress the ball when asked to play at a higher pace. Likewise, I could overlap on the right with a Support duty there but feel that I want both, an attack minded player and an overload and I could use playmakers in the centre to naturally gravitate around. With these, I think I can move us closer to my intended playing style and the addition of 'Run at Defence' combined with dribbly-roles will only allow us to emphasise that element of our transition.

I also had two further exploratory tactical things to consider...

image.png.750a981625ad1c6457c28021e9fae60f.png image.png.a1f198de7335465820fb43552ff2f73e.png

I'm in no rush to get this right and have, therefore, taken a full half of a season to explore the outputs of Fernandez in this role, with pass maps from his first three games forming the image above. My intention is for to get into that Zone 14 where a very clickbaity video tells me I can see up to an 81% increase in chances of scoring, compared to when the ball does not come through this zone. Overall, despite our strong team performances, he hasn't really set the world alight, as his stats - below - show. A lack of assists, expected assists and, to be honest, key passes is a concern for me. He's probably too aggressive to be in an area to carry the ball that much but yet it still safe - not losing the ball a huge amount of times! That being said, the eye test is positive and it's not as if we are struggling to find the net and find creators elsewhere in the team. I just need to fine-tune this one. Next up is the Pau Torres role. Whilst FM24 cannot compute this, a key metric of Pau's play is his progressive actions: he the ball 1,084 yards in Villa's win over Fulham. It is the 8th time that Torres has passed the ball over 1,000 yards in a single Premier League games this season. This link to show how Torres’ forward thinking draws in players to create spaces further up and this link shows the number of passes that Torres has made into the final third. I pondered about whether to introduce a HB(d) in front and go full out with a L(s) here, properly utilising the positional play elements to create a very fluid back three but, actually, have settled on - more often than not - the L(d) role that sees him patrol slightly ahead of the defensive line in a 325 in build up. That, again, can be altered as we look to fulfil that ideology of building up with one more man - as seen with the 5v4 here. Kozic's pass map from his first game as a L(d) is above with a 66% success rate of long, forward passes - hopefully something I can build into his game and, when compared against all outfield players, he's dribbling - per game - more than about 60% of them, that's not too bad, either. I want more cutting edge and risk from his passing game, which will, in turn, reduce the 94% completion rate but it's another work in progress role within this shape!

image.png.8979970ecd3b9dfd4943509dee0270e6.png image.png.f2b88229718660f818e6478f4a1d309f.png

Javier Fernandez - left - and Luka Kozic - right - statistical outputs, compared against all players in the top 25 leagues, represented as a 20% percentile band.

Yet...

It's working overall!

image.thumb.png.85a2116df1039d274cf0d3eb91aa2f4c.png

We're not quite at the turn yet but we've been pretty strong across the majority of the matches, even after a shock opening day defeat. We've won each game on xG this year and are recording 2.20xG per/90 (1.90 in the league), with two goals scored a game. We look a little on the soft side at the back, but I think that an upgrade in the goalkeeping department will assist there. Tchetchoua has, unlike last season, found his scoring boots in the first half of the season and leads the league, and team, with no small part down to his five goals in the dismantling in the DFB Pokal. With so much focus on tactical development, I really feel that we're on to a winning formula here and so many players are performing well, with us working towards our goals. For reference, our metric comparisons at this point are:

• Possession: 54% (7% increase)
  • Final Third Passes: 58 (decrease of four)
  • Expected goals per shot: 0.14 (increase of 0.02 per shot)
  • Dribbles: 15.64 (increase of 2.38)
  • Interceptions: 21.66 (increase of 1.30)
  • Defensive line height: 40.27 yards (increase of nearly four yards)
  • Opposition conversion rate: 10% (increase of 1%)

Pretty good going towards those targets we set at the start of this season.

Elsewhere, a quick look in Sweden shows a shock as feeder team Brommapojkarna actually won the league with my ex-side Elfsborg down in fifth having changed the manager who successfully destroyed my squad! The highlight has to be Christian Brahmerwho notched twelve goal contributions whilst out on loan there.

image.png.5e0ec989ebb1b36e9dbc8e52cdcf5087.png

image.png.bb1f1d93442f5d3d1484749ada6bb91e.png image.png.91f093f7330cf3c8ebfd30a7f0312a9d.png

David Raya - or, at least - a player like David Raya could be the final piece of my jigsaw and, given our strong showing this year in the league combined with the fact that promotion will open up significant avenues that I've not been able to explore yet, I have gone pretty much all in on finding a new goalkeeper. His on-ball ability is, to my knowledge, unmatched within the pool of players who are willing to join us and his contract expires in the summer. His stats show him at a struggling Tenerife side, who really don't play out from the back like I want to so I'm taking them with a pinch of salt, somewhat. The fact that he's 35 does concern me somewhat but I've never truly tested the age boundary of a goalkeeper and he could, potentially, be here for four or five years. Likewise, the (hopeful) promotion means that new players will become interested in joining our journey and I may then be able to spend a more significant proportion of any budget - safe in the knowledge that I have stabilised the club financially - on said player.

The other element of my development is coaching staff: and, in this case, Pablo Perez. He joins as a youth coach and, now that I have added attributes back into my game, I am able to chart his progress across months, years and coaching badges. This move follows a previous appointment in this mould, as Oscar Lewicki moves up to fill a gap within the first team. I pay far too little attention to this area of the game so wanted to make myself a bit more accountable by posting about it!

Nur de VfL!

Playmakers often need time to fill the role well in a team. Especially when you have strict parameters about what you want them to do.  Most of the time I am just happy that a playmaker is making assists and getting goals. Since I am more of an eyeball test guy and less data driven than you are. Even though I wish to be a thorough as you someday, but it makes playing too much like a job and I already have one that takes most of my time.

Interesting switch up of roles for the 4-3-3. Definitely food for thought in your build up play. I'm sort of the opposite to you in that my 4-3-3 is defensively solid but offensively tepid, so something for me to consider as I'm amending it over the summer.

More parallels between our games - I tried to sign Raya but he turned me down on financials. Meanwhile, you'll know Pérez is a Sporting youth graduate and has been excellent me. Sadly his staff attributes are rubbish in my save. 

I assume the relatively low final third passes (including the drop) is because you're playing quickly once you've baited the press and played out of the middle third? 

9 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Playmakers often need time to fill the role well in a team. Especially when you have strict parameters about what you want them to do.  Most of the time I am just happy that a playmaker is making assists and getting goals. Since I am more of an eyeball test guy and less data driven than you are. Even though I wish to be a thorough as you someday, but it makes playing too much like a job and I already have one that takes most of my time.

I've got time! Hopefully he'll grow into the role and I can see some strong outcomes - because, right now, he's not being a part of the goal, instead the pass before the assist, which does not get credited.

6 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Interesting switch up of roles for the 4-3-3. Definitely food for thought in your build up play. I'm sort of the opposite to you in that my 4-3-3 is defensively solid but offensively tepid, so something for me to consider as I'm amending it over the summer.

More parallels between our games - I tried to sign Raya but he turned me down on financials. Meanwhile, you'll know Pérez is a Sporting youth graduate and has been excellent me. Sadly his staff attributes are rubbish in my save. 

I assume the relatively low final third passes (including the drop) is because you're playing quickly once you've baited the press and played out of the middle third? 

Aside from your Allison's and Ederson's - both of whom are in the Middle East - I think that Raya is the best ball-playing keeper in the game for me. I've also never seen a keeper (but then again, I rarely manage at the top level early in the game) who has the 'plays way out of trouble' trait! I hope to bring him in and then use him as a mentor for a youngster of the same style and see what I can do.

Yeah - the build up style is still a work in progress but we're moving the ball quicker through the thirds and trying to be more clinical, which is why we are passing around by the box elss and less.

---

Whilst I have you...

The long term mentoring has worked!

image.png.6c646813df2f3470199847a2bc09700e.png

I went back and looked. Kozic had been Light Hearted but something (I think temperament) must have moved and he's now a Model Citizen. It's been a nearly two year process but there's been some successes. I want to see where this has come from because Tchetchoua is also Light Hearted and, if there is potential to move that on before he becomes too influential, I want to explore it! I also have Samake and Bothmann in the U19 team who I feel could be there with some Determination work?!

In a 4-3-3, you are almost required, in FM, have one of the two central midfielders play with an attacking mentality to fill the attacking midfield hole.  At a minimum, play one of the CMs on support but with a lot of attacking individual instructions (get further forward, etc.)

3 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Whilst I have you...

I went back and looked. Kozic had been Light Hearted but something (I think temperament) must have moved and he's now a Model Citizen. It's been a nearly two year process but there's been some successes. I want to see where this has come from because Tchetchoua is also Light Hearted and, if there is potential to move that on before he becomes too influential, I want to explore it! I also have Samake and Bothmann in the U19 team who I feel could be there with some Determination work?!

This is really interesting. Can you walk me through what you did with Kozíc? Was he always in the first-team squad? Or did you move him up just for the mentoring and then make him available for unders games? Was he solo or multi tutored?

In terms of Samake and Bothmann, their Determination is already fine for development. There's a threshold at 10 - under which development suffers and over which development is boosted. But, iirc from Evidence Based FM's videos, there is no further improvement after 10. Of course, Determination is useful for more than development so I'm not saying you shouldn't at least attempt an improvement.

9 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

This is really interesting. Can you walk me through what you did with Kozíc? Was he always in the first-team squad? Or did you move him up just for the mentoring and then make him available for unders games? Was he solo or multi tutored?

In terms of Samake and Bothmann, their Determination is already fine for development. There's a threshold at 10 - under which development suffers and over which development is boosted. But, iirc from Evidence Based FM's videos, there is no further improvement after 10. Of course, Determination is useful for more than development so I'm not saying you shouldn't at least attempt an improvement.

He’s been in the first team since the game started and in a mentoring group with Passlack (Resolute and Level Headed) and Lawrence (F.Pro and Level Headed) - for no real reason, to be fair. That was, until I saw that the mentoring review mentioned things like Temperament changing. When someone is Light Hearted, most of their hidden attributes are ‘good’ and I know that - because I use a star icon to show a couple on my squad view - that his wasn’t ’gold’ (15 or over) but Lawrence’s was. After just over a year at it, he’s now turned ‘gold’ and has become a Model Citizen, so I got really lucky!

The Samake and Bothmann thing is a hark back to my attempt at ‘control’ - maybe it’s their Det (I think it needs to be 14) that is stopping them from being a Model Citizen. I got lucky with Kozic in hidden stuff but can see this one! 

I’ve got a long term mentoring ‘project’ lined up anyway - so will see how that one goes…

On 23/02/2024 at 18:09, _Ben_ said:

I've got time! Hopefully he'll grow into the role and I can see some strong outcomes - because, right now, he's not being a part of the goal, instead the pass before the assist, which does not get credited.

Aside from your Allison's and Ederson's - both of whom are in the Middle East - I think that Raya is the best ball-playing keeper in the game for me. I've also never seen a keeper (but then again, I rarely manage at the top level early in the game) who has the 'plays way out of trouble' trait! I hope to bring him in and then use him as a mentor for a youngster of the same style and see what I can do.

Yeah - the build up style is still a work in progress but we're moving the ball quicker through the thirds and trying to be more clinical, which is why we are passing around by the box elss and less.

---

Whilst I have you...

It's something that really interests me!! I've always wanted to figure a method that allows you to choose which personality is better to mentor a certain player, obviously Model Citizen will always be the best but you don't always have enough of them (or even none).

For Kozic, depending on what his determination (only visible variable which affects in such change) is, ambition, pressure or sporting (which are unknowns) changes must have provoqued the personality change, unless his media handling style has also changed which would make things much harder to guess.

Spoiler

PERS   AMB DET CONT LEA LOY PRE PRO SPO TEMP
Light-Hearted   X   X 15-20 0-14 15-20   15
Model Citizen 12-20 14-20   X 15-20 14 15-20 15-20 15

This shows both personalities mixed with evasive, unflappable. (Hid it for people who don't want to see it).

Edited by RogerC

image.png.bdd7fdcc25afba2ee4d606451b19cdcd.png

image.png.6b8cb07d2e8c1fc17eef205b2a997a5c.png

image.png.d3b24536fcd45b2760fe90453f103e35.png

January is done and I held off, once again, from spending any real money. However, I have brought in - arguably - the most famous player to ever play for Bochum, even if his in-game career has been slightly more anti-climatic than his real-life one potentially could be. At 35, my eyes are not necessarily on the future with this deal, but I've never really tested just how far a goalkeeper can go!

image.png.c610280e307f11ca94d10d4a18e78316.png image.png.7a3e8741ad4d31b4cf09fb26eff853b6.png

David Raya joins for just €625k from Tenerife, a mid-table La Liga side at present as I was able to make a profit, selling old number one Gebhardt for €2.6m to PSV. Overall, there's a few things that are different as this signing is all about our style. Firstly, my Spaniard is an absolute whizz on the ball. His involvement in moves, as seen by this goal, is clear to see and his progressive passes and overall passes completed per/90 have already shown a significant increase on the man he replaced. Whilst being a couple of inches smaller and considerably more eccentric, David is far more Determined and his overall personality is, in my opinion, stronger. I really need to have a leader in this area of the pitch and we've managed to upgrade there, too. Lastly, the traits: Raya's 'tries to play way out of trouble' is something that I have never experienced before for a goalkeeper and I feel is essential in us being able to bait a press and play through our opponents, especially as his distribution is just so good.

I managed to secure a deal that costs us just €25k per week now, with an added 40% wage rise upon promotion, taking him to still below our top earners. This clause meant I was able to forego a lot of the other expensive clauses and bonuses that he could've demanded - a treat but one he has to work for! Probably the most exciting area of this deal, though, is what he will also be used for: a mentor.

As well as a first team signing, I also dipped my toes into the water for two youth players.

image.png.cbe6ffaf083fd3e270f4bc4432e1c547.pngimage.png.5f53b64cc5d41b2533b719010e1adc62.png 

Full player profiles can be seen by clicking on each thumbnail.

Lino could well be the heir to the Raya throne as I've carefully scouted a player who has enough of a ceiling to be good for us but also has a base as similar as I can make to the Spaniard. I've set up a mentoring group - which, already, has disappointed me and I will have to look at the longer term implications of this. My intention was that Raya would be considered a highly influential player and be able to quickly impart his traits but that might be a longer term project. However, Pedro will have this year and another year in the U19 team in order to develop well enough to move into, probably, the number two slot. Lambert joins from Belgium as my scouting team appear to be finding significant gems, such as Sitang - the first ever Botswana born player to impress me!

I think that these youth signings, allowing at least a full season in the youth squad will continue to be important as I look to work my way through intakes like this:

image.png.0f0c74bcb512a2c6727f2d4181bd7521.png

The entire youth intake actually doesn't seem too bad. I've signed RasiejewskiReichRiceRodierSeidlSonkayaThomasEmre BilginFlessman and Leemhuis but my process is now far less about first day surprises and more about long term development, particularly as I have six players - below - who will be moving up from the U19 team in the search of first team football. It would appear that none of the below are good enough, at this point, for first team football here and all, but Drexler, have time left on their contract, in which they will likely spend in the 3.Liga or, hopefully, the 2.Liga or equivalent league.

image.png.345ba4716b649f18a0cfff2356fde770.png

I've been tracking attribute development across my youth players in order to be better aware of how I build my training schedules, something which I intend to review over the summer, particularly with what will be my largest crop of youngsters in the youth team looking to create a sixteen player squad that can rotate positions and roles across the youth team. I feel that our successes on the pitch and the number of youth players within the first team now shows that this is working but I do want to ensure I'm giving it the best shot! 

Despite the relative doom and gloom about this, I have been impressed by the development of several of the new intake with Tarnowski and Schulz two of the better ones!

image.png.9e36f5304c587c00268150e08d5659b5.png image.png.a5860e699687b16dc59fb1df4f4c1aae.png

---

image.png.ab0e1f40c43ba78f3c8d0c77092d449b.png

image.thumb.png.cac6283633fcfd78186b1a3f503cf9f1.png

We've hit a bit of a rough patch, if I'm being honest!

The goals have dried up - Tchetchoua hasn't scored in ten games and scored more than once in a game just the solitary time since January - hardly league winning form! Even more worryingly, the goals are coming late, or early in the game largely - a show of our fitness or a show of my ability to motivate the team but not really a showing on continued tactical evolution and an effort to work out areas to exploit in the opposition. My newly skinned area is showing me that my players are, mostly, doing well at the things I want them to but Raya's seven goals conceded in ten isn't great, nor is Tchetchoua's goal scoring or Fernandez's overall contributions. However, Heidenheim are faltering themselves and the gap back to the chasing pack continues to feel like a nice buffer for me. Our run is isn't too much: Paderbon, St Pauli, Osnabruck, Karlsruhe, Furth, Aachen and Kiel represent a mix of top and bottom sides but, as always happens at this time of the year, the momentum in me is dipping. I need to dive right back in and see the last seven games out to secure our promotion!

Nur de VfL!

Edited by _Ben_

23 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Does Raya speak German? Wonder if that's why his influence isn't yet significant? Some signing that 

Never considered that before great shout!

On 26/02/2024 at 22:35, _Ben_ said:

The entire youth intake actually doesn't seem too bad.

I’m finding the previews and ratings from the HOYD to be a bit off. Now I’m paying some attention to youth development. I have had the odd player who looked average initially turn out to be quite promising which I like. There should be true late bloomers it’s a thing in real life so would be nice to see a Jamie Vardy story like player form time to time. 

I envy this new skilled area .

a Goalkeeper can play decent up to 39 according its potential and the time of playing. If he play often he start to decline at 34-35 slowly if not then significant. 
A very good propose of Gk is Awad of Egypt . Great numbers at age of 30 at the start of the game . 
a silly question now … you simulate the games or you are play them one by one .

I have noticed significant difference of the game engine  on those two types of playing .

My newly skinned area is showing me that my players are, mostly, doing well at the things I want them to but Raya's seven goals conceded in ten isn't grea

a very big conversation on that . To be honest at gks the stats are as a glass of water , half empty half full.

if you really want to evaluate the performance of a Gk you have to use an excel .

if he concede 7 out of 10 we have to exam what chances was that ?  Do our defense work good or allows clear chances ?

a good way to separate the Gks performance from defense is to find  the on targets post shots saves but the game does not give us the amount of on target shots that our team conceded.

a way to find this is if you plus the shots that conceded and the shots that he prevent but where is the hit on the bar shots ?

so to evaluate a Gks performance we have to use only the in game stats that we have 

save % is a raw data that never speaks the truth. A custom stat to see clear is the GAA ( goals allow against ) 

to find it simple calculate the goals he allowed  with 90 and divide it by the actual minutes that he play . GAA = ( G conceded *90)/minutes .

sorry to use this thread for meta analysis 

Edited by milenec11

On 27/02/2024 at 09:05, Shrewnaldo said:

Does Raya speak German? Wonder if that's why his influence isn't yet significant? Some signing that 

He speaks 'good' German but there's a deeper element I need to explore, which, as @milenec11 points out, will need to be done with a bit of deeper analysis! It'll be in the summer post!

4 hours ago, milenec11 said:

a silly question now … you simulate the games or you are play them one by one .

Have I not conveyed the emotion of playing the games and the tactical decisions enough?! Every game is played on comprehensive highlights, which I often sit and re-watch multiple times.

56 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

He speaks 'good' German but there's a deeper element I need to explore, which, as @milenec11 points out, will need to be done with a bit of deeper analysis! It'll be in the summer post!

Have I not conveyed the emotion of playing the games and the tactical decisions enough?! Every game is played on comprehensive highlights, which I often sit and re-watch multiple times.

Re watch ?!??!? Except the skin evolution did you discover the day with 25 hours ?!?!

image.png.28adb387d4ab05c565969f9219333c95.png

image.png.762aee7cf3caf5e18e315b9b5486baf7.png

image.thumb.png.10a4e636458d1f453f8a92fdbb81a506.png

This feels like it’ll be quite a strange end of season review: particularly when we’ve won the league and have met my own expectations and exceeded those of the board, to win promotion to the top flight. Yet, it feels like we’ve somewhat bumbled our way across the line, without playing that swashbuckling brand of football that I have been able to do, in both my promotion season at GIF Sundsvall and the league titles at Elfsborg. The full breakdown of player stats can be accessed here.

In goal, David Raya allowed eleven goals in during his seventeen league displays. That, to me, feels like a poor return; yet a total of 4.91xG saved means that he’s come out ranking pretty highly. I dug deeper into some performances where his save ratio was poor, but, looking where the goals were scored from – I think that these relatively high xG chances mean that more has to be done in terms of not allowing them next season, with the added benefit of a keeper who is now bedded into the team and speaks the language. I don’t feel that, ahead of him, I could necessarily fault any of the false back three either statistically or with the ‘eye-test’ and the gamble of using a L(d) instead of a BPD(d) has been all about balancing risk and reward, although, annoyingly, the better early progression of late hasn’t been demonstrated with more creative forward performances.

Probably most concerning is the performance of number 10 – Javier Fernandez – his four goal contributions have come from a mammoth 9.80 expected goals and assists combined. If my newly signed playmaker had finished the season with figures of that, around a goal or an assist every two and a half to three games, I’d be delighted, but I’ve now really got to question what to make of it. Things have been very sloppy in places, particularly up top, and we’ve blown pretty hot and cold throughout, with Tchetchoua enjoying a great season, on the face of things, with eighteen goals. Yet, digging a little deeper, his goals have come from an expected 19.22 goals, an underperformance of 0.04xG per 90. As the season drew on, a switch from a CF(a) to an AF(a) was utilised to give him an opportunity to just focus on goal scoring and three goals in his last five demonstrated that. As a team, this xG performance was also true – our fifty-nine league goals, the second highest, came from 57.33 expected goals. Both us and second placed Heidenheim recorded an xG overperformance of just over one, showing that we both struggled to break down tough defences and take our chances when presented.

Carlos Molina, a huge worry from last season, registered nineteen goal contributions, up from six last year, as his move to the T(a) role really paid off. Ranking inside the top 10% of players across the continent for dribbles per game as well as open play key passes meant that, whilst we lost some creativity centrally, we still had it out wide. That being said, his six assists only demonstrates an xA overperformance of just over 1.00 assist – not a huge amount in itself. Another player who contributed well was Felix Passlack, whose seven assists and 1.41 crosses completed as well as 4.46 progressive passes, ensured a threat down the right-hand side.

That being said, I think I’m making some progress towards my long-term tactical goals. The plan here in Germany was always style over substance and, whilst I cannot believe I’ve already been here for two full seasons and ninety-three games, I think that there is a clear vision for where the club is going. I am beginning to see elements of my gameplay change, in both the minute-by-minute action, but also in the key metrics for our style:

image.png.8f66f6d990fbb371c06b28e492d8e891.png

The contentious points here come when I decide that actually something within the style isn't working and, as such, it impacts a lot of other things, such as removing a winger to replace with a Trequartista, who, through my development, is kind of a best of both worlds but not naturally instructed to dribble as much. This then removes one third of my real ball carrying players within the team - the two wide men and a marauding centre mid - and, as such, has huge impact on the team metrics. Still, we've made a small improvement there and are second best in the league, although I cannot say how much that figure would differ if the methodology was kept across an entire season. Then, there are metrics that really don't paint the whole picture. I've felt we've been weaker at the back and always could concede, yet our opponent conversion rate has dropped. This season, we've conceded just two less goals than last, so there must be an assumption that we've faced more shots - something that'd easily, and probably rightly, be construed as a tactical step back. Obviously, the next concern comes from what this style looks like when we're not among the better teams in the league. Set out with a 2-2 box in defence with 3-3 split forward line ahead of it away at Bayern Munich and we'll get battered, as we probably would trying to out dribble the likes of Leipzig or Dortmund but become a park-the-bus outfit and I'll end up falling asleep in the hours of highlights I watch.

At the end of the day, though, we're CHAMPIONS and I have, within three years, made a return to management in a top flight. This one, unlike Sweden, I'm predicting will be much harder. The summer window, before I even get to any games, will be tough as I look to strengthen and build without much prior knowledge of players interested in joining me. A move to the top flight will raise our reputation but will coincide with an increase in greed of players, especially those who think we'll be heading straight back down. It'll be hard but it'll be fun! I can't wait to write about my adventures managing in the Bundesliga for the first time in about six or seven editions of FM.

Nur de VfL!

Edited by _Ben_

Great effort getting promoted. Even as a reader, it feels crazy that you've been at Bochum two seasons. Feels like you've been playing fast

11 in 17 feels like a decent goalkeeping performance to me, got to be honest. 

Re Fernandez, was the bigger underperformance on xG or xA? Because the latter isn't really his fault? 

On 28/02/2024 at 14:30, milenec11 said:

Re watch ?!??!? Except the skin evolution did you discover the day with 25 hours ?!?!

When I am watching back matches, either for recruitment or performance analysis, I tend to stick matches on 'Full Match' and make a mental note of times of key things within the game and skip through. You're not from the UK so may not have experienced this but about 15/20 years ago, Sky Sports used to have a thing called 'Player Cam' and that is essentially what I do. It's taken me a while to get out of the habit of following the ball but now I just watch the player that I'm interested in, taking note of their movements, passes, what they do in the phases of play and how they interact with the others in the team. It's been a game-changer for me!

7 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Congratulations on the promotion Ben even if it feels bittersweet at the moment. 

Yeah - I know what you mean! I wasn't in the best of moods last night when I was writing and it coincided with a not so great run in, especially in terms of actual performances. That being said, I think the basics are there as we demonstrated them across the start of the season. Hopefully, I can build well this summer and stay up next time around.

11 in 17 feels like a decent goalkeeping performance to me, got to be honest. 

It does but watching the highlights always made me anxious every time we lost the ball. Whilst not Raya's fault, I do feel that his marshalling of the defence was out a little and there were times when I was (metaphorically) shouting at the screen!

Re Fernandez, was the bigger underperformance on xG or xA? Because the latter isn't really his fault? 

Below are the season stats for Fernandez (CM), Ibrahimovic (AML) and Passlack (DR):

e75dbf4fe1db54ae5ddee6067500c4ea.png

480b2f6c33e106390eda5cebc5fd9d2d.png

3ed3ed620bceb582e4e6cd9c3659a8b3.png

I don't think I've ever seen a greater xA underperformance as I have from Fernandez, nor so many players' comparison so close to each other. But, you're right with the xA not entirely being their fault. Here are Tchetchoua's outputs:

cc6de548e5b7c53a6e8468a51e245ec9.png

He should absolutely have done better this season but has missed big chance after big chance after big chance. Again, though, that's likely on me- I've entrusted a 21-year old with less than 100 career games to be my first choice striker and have not sufficiently provided backup for him. His record is identical to last season (13G, 3A, 4POM) but this year came from four extra games. The coach report talks about consistency as a strength of his but I don't think he's quite there yet. It's one of those that leaves me on edge for the summer: trust a 21 year old and spend my budget (which appears to only be around €8m) elsewhere or go for broke on a 25-28 year old forward with a track record of Bundesliga goals, potentially alienating a young man who I brought through the youth system!

15 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Do you think Tchetchoua would accept a loan move for a season? Bring in some experience to cover the survival bid and let him fill his boots somewhere else to develop? 

I had thought of that - just hit 20 goals somewhere but his wage of €20k and his squad status make me feel that this is not going to happen. 

My main plan for the summer is to bring some reinforcements into the midfield; Fernandez just hasn’t hit the heights and I think he’ll struggle even more in the top flight. Once that is resolved, I think my plan is to spend what is left on a striker to compete with him Tchetchoua, who started 95% of the games last year and was basically able to keep his place regardless of his form. 

There’s some longer term gaps to explore, too, with some aging players - so I think that my budget is going to have to stretch quite a long way!

image.png.8f3299a009b17c22ea72fdc86c5a6725.png

image.png.2615a5c4b513b2da5a447822c69961ea.png

A transfer window, directly after promotion is - for me - the hardest one to navigate. Players aren't willing to join the journey in case it reaches an abrupt stop just thirty-odd games from now, and, hence, will ask for extortionate wages and release clauses to get off the ship as soon as they deem it to be sinking. Any player who is in their peak that wants to join us has likely been frozen out at their current employer, giving me nothing statistical to fall back on - just a player, probably on large wages, who hasn't kicked a competitive football for three to four years with us joining the front of a short queue, simply because of their perceived better than thou mindset. Yeah. There's a reason you haven't played. But, upon promotion to the fourth most reputable league in Europe, I'm swamped with young players who, despite being full of potential, see me us as a stepping stone, demanding miniscule release clauses but almost infinite access to the first team. Again. Yeah. There's a reason you're a rotational option in Israel (which, by the way, is a talent hotspot at present) and I won't make you a star player in the Bundesliga! Also - why spend our hard earned pennies on a youngster if I already have five of them in the youth side?!

Then...then you have the players within the team. Most of whom are fiercely loyal to me but, still, are football players who want to showcase their ability on the biggest scene and be handsomely credited for doing so. Don't give someone a pay rise? Mutiny; and I quote, thanks to Mr Osterhage, 'this is just another reason to doubt you, it's not the right decision.'  Yeah - I'm a teacher - sort out your comma splicing, fool. Fold and give them a pay rise? A lack of fairness. Allow a youngster to leave the club? A perception of lack of ambition. Keep an ambitious youngster, who has a clear playing pathway, at the club? Mutiny. Again. There's little wiggle room at an elite club.

Genuinely, I've finished pre-season and feel scared. We aren't prepared for what this season will throw at me - part of that is the continued musings around tactical play but part of it is that we've not moved on enough of the fringe players and replaced them with better players. My strategy of giving improved contracts with playing time promises has worked - Tchetchoua, Fischer Kozic and Molina are all successful graduates from the youth team into the first team but my feeling is that - whilst their wages are way below what I'd be expecting at this level - the importance of some of the players within this squad needs addressing. Furthermore, little things just aren't quite clicking - Raya's lack of status within our hierarchy is holding back the mentoring group designed to allow Lino to develop. But, summer comes and goes by quickly and I needed to act...

A number of youth players were deemed not good enough and were moved on, providing 100% profitable income that could go into the first team, if needed. Below are the players who I have signed:

image.png.6f45d2b5908c86b04cca32596c2d5da8.png image.png.c43a1ed0774d0608a67ecc14d63daf27.png

Somewhat hypocritically, neither of my two midfield reinforcements either cost money nor have played significant amounts of football of late.

Lucas Paquetawho last made a real impact in the 2028/29 season, moves on a free transfer after leaving West Ham. Aside from singing 'just sold my car...to Lucas Paqueta' every time he touches the ball, I feel that I've got myself an experienced head, who is a definite step up on Fernandez. The Brazilian is a classy playmaker but I feel that he's more of an 8 than just a 10, which Fernandez probably is. For me, that is important as I will need to win duels and break up play in the middle of the park as more teams will try and play football against us. I was able to bring him in without changes to the wage structure, also. His midfield partner will be Leon GoretzkaAlthough 'world class' by tag, I feel that - nowadays - that's more on his previous ability rather than current ability. His lack of football is obviously a concern to me as is his thirty-six year old legs, but, as a graduate of the youth system and a player who broke onto the scene, I feel that it's really apt he bookends his career with a second spell with us. Furthermore, he has a desire for coaching so I will look to develop that area of him with him stepping into youth coaching at a sensible time here. Again, our salary commitments were not hugely impacted by this deal, which I feel is important, given the ongoing issues with players' demands.

I had also trialled aging Americans Mckennie and Pulisic but neither were as interested in joining a geographical rival of the club where they truly made their name. However, both of those, like the two who have joined the club, had been frozen out of domestic play, yet, clearly, good enough still as part of the USA national team. That is, sadly, how the rest of the window went: player identified based on interest, positive statistical outputs from last year but then deals would fall through over €100k p/w+ wage demands, insistence of Key Player status, despite being, on paper, no better than what I already have or clubs deciding to insist on deals that are two to three times the budget we had available. It has been a really tough window, all in all, but I was able to recruit two players to join at the end of next season:

image.png.1b816382980308fd50244cc7d78a7d8c.png image.png.775a609b6e99eb218bde59b1d1719c54.png

With us - by choice - only utilising an U19 team, I need to have a ready-made pathway for those who are too old for that team but not good enough for my first team. In this case, those players born in 2012 are now too old to feature and must be either moved on or integrated, hence the sales of players listed above. This means that I need to really consider the age profiles of those incoming. Both Morgan Gunnarsson and Omri Mordahayev are highly rated players at their clubs, but would not be good enough for my first team, at this stage and also be too old to play in the youth team. By signing deals, probably costing me another ~€100k in total, I can wait, allow them to continue first team football in their domestic leagues, and sign in the summer that they turn twenty, hopefully better suited for our needs. Gunnarsson has a great personality and a nicely rounded ability, with strong crossing - perfect for my marauding right sided wing back and even more perfect that Passlack will be 34 and at the end of his contract. With AIK playing a different calendar to us, there'll be some reviews of this deal at the end of this calendar year to see whether I feel he's truly ready to come in as a rotational player or whether he'd need a further loan after joining. Omri has a poor personality but that, to be honest, may lead to a quick profit on another Israeli talent. Right now, he's not completely secure out on the left wing but, with Sari nearing 33 and us only having three wide men, he's potentially going to be a nice option. My concern, for him, is that the Israeli league lacks sufficient quality to really see him continue to flourish, but, as ever, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Tough. Really tough.My squad for the 2031/32 Bundesliga season looked thin up top and, in many areas, short of depth. Then this happened:

image.png.f8c0e4f6a395c69ad06d2698b3f87344.png

Two first team players out until nearly Christmas. Great.

image.png.f96d76f50f74aa142f460060ec77c775.png

Promotion to the top flight can be - and is - a treacherous tactical journey. Go too gung-ho and get battered for six every game but have some fun scoring, if you've got the minerals up top; go too cautious and get battered for three to six every game and don't challenge the scoreboard at the other end. Therefore, I need to be clever. Utilise what I have got; my job role is to manage the group of players in front of me and, if I were to be a little more realistic, I'd not even have control of who comes and goes through the doors here at Bochum. I must get the best out of the players and create passages of play that allow often-inferior players the ability to get the better of their opponents. A key facet of that, for me, is going to be in the early transitions and how I can create overloads and spaces which will allow us to progress the ball forwards against an ever-increasing quality of player and toughness of press.

During pre-season, I was able to get a couple of screenshots of things I liked:

image.png.1150f03766cd5475519f4dd1c65f05cf.png  image.png.20d68391194f5fdf01576c2ad8f87dcc.png

In the left image, we're building up with Lawrence initially playing a pass to Goretzka, who has looked for Tchetchoua in the right half space. With a BPD(d) and IFB(d) as the back two, against just one attacker. That then allows Kozic - the L(d) - to move forward with Nduquidi - the the DM(d) - in order to create a deep box This means that we are able to create big spaces, such as the one in the centre of the pitch where Paqueta will hopefully flourish. Right now, he's quite offensive, but his change to a Mezzala role, on support, feels to be quite key in our refined build up. In my eyes, this role is the most aggressive MC role that there is so I still can get him around the box but, where it differs to the CM(a) or AP(a) that I used before and, as seen in the second image, is that he's far more cautious in our early stage build up, often dropping in to get on the ball when we are in possession in our own half. Getting him on the ball and driving forward will commit defenders and allow spaces for Ibrahimovic and Tchetchoua to capitalise on.

image.png.f48e4d0f6e99891f34fc0608cfa23ea3.png

In the right hand image, Kozic - the L(d) has the ball and is already moving forward, as is his trait to bring the ball out of defence. You can see that I've created a nice box in the middle with those four and three nearby opposition players, again, giving us a numerical advantage. I then use Ibrahimovic as an IW(s) with Stay Wider as a PI and Tchetchoua as an AF(a) to stretch the play and allow us to progress forward, with our right back - this time Mehmet - able to advance from his FB(a) role. I know that, when I'm facing two strikers, I can pull the L(d) back to a BPD(d) or even a CD(d) to ensure that the 3-1 shape is always greater in numbers.

These little tweaks have seen us play some really good football in pre-season and have seen us pretty comprehensively beat two Bundesliga sides, as seen below. I'm not getting carried away, at all, and am fully aware that 16th place - a relegation playoff - is a success for us this year!

image.png.7234db683f6e7e4bf4c978888f621679.png image.png.53245de1ef0dde2b217e809a15d7e876.png

Full match reports can be seen by clicking the thumbnails.

Nur de VFL!

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

Then...then you have the players within the team. Most of whom are fiercely loyal to me but, still, are football players who want to showcase their ability on the biggest scene and be handsomely credited for doing so. Don't give someone a pay rise? Mutiny; and I quote, thanks to Mr Osterhage, 'this is just another reason to doubt you, it's not the right decision.'  Yeah - I'm a teacher - sort out your comma splicing, fool. Fold and give them a pay rise? A lack of fairness. Allow a youngster to leave the club? A perception of lack of ambition. Keep an ambitious youngster, who has a clear playing pathway, at the club? Mutiny. Again. There's little wiggle room at an elite club.

This is a description of the state of affairs in all my clubs of late......did they do something to make ALL the young players prima donnas in the last two updates.....

Ok, Paqueta and Goretzka are great signings. No surprise to see the latter has maintained his physicals pretty well - he seems to last forever in my games.

I really like the look of the Israeli - think he'd do a good job as a DLF as well as inverted winger / inside forward type.

I'm surprised you're getting £100k+ demands, I had nothing of the sort - although I wonder if the LaLiga wage cap has something to do with that and agents just know you don't have the headroom. 

What's Goretzka's role in the left screenshot? I've got traits on the brain just now and I'm looking at that thinking "tries long range passes" or "switches ball to the opposite flank" is going to work wonders to find Paqueta in space

15 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

This is a description of the state of affairs in all my clubs of late......did they do something to make ALL the young players prima donnas in the last two updates.....

I quite like it, you know! It's given me a real highlight into what a good wage looks like. I love a shoestring budget but, if I can't match your demands - see you later! Likewise, I have 250,000 players in this database, if you're going to moan about something, I reckon I can replace you!

11 hours ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Ok, Paqueta and Goretzka are great signings. No surprise to see the latter has maintained his physicals pretty well - he seems to last forever in my games.

I  felt that going for their experience was really important for us, back in the big time. Leon has a one year extension if he plays 15 games, which I'm sure he will but the test will be on how quickly they both fade. It may actually play into my hands that they've not played too much of late, especially with Paqueta - whose game time losses still class as peak performance times - as it may mean their legs stay with them a year or two more.

I really like the look of the Israeli - think he'd do a good job as a DLF as well as inverted winger / inside forward type.

Yep. I want my IW on the left to be a secondary scorer so his Finishing will help that but the key has always been about versatility and I think he can play a number of roles for us, which is ideal.

I'm surprised you're getting £100k+ demands, I had nothing of the sort - although I wonder if the LaLiga wage cap has something to do with that and agents just know you don't have the headroom. 

Our salary is less than 10% of Bayern's and half of Heidenheim's, who came up with us. I think that the players I want are not all that keen on joining and, as such, are asking for pretty ludicrous amounts to join.

What's Goretzka's role in the left screenshot? I've got traits on the brain just now and I'm looking at that thinking "tries long range passes" or "switches ball to the opposite flank" is going to work wonders to find Paqueta in space

He's just a CM(s) and is, sadly, far too old to learn anything new but I think you're spot on here. The way that we build up on the right whilst trying to get 1v1 on the left would give someone with that kind of passing range a great set of options. Through some training but mainly through mentoring, Molina, below, has picked up a load of traits that - in my eyes - make him pretty well suited for the ball carrying version of that role from the T(a) slot on the right wing. If I have a passer and a carrier that can move the ball from right to centre or right to left, I think we've got a chance of really making this shape and this verticality work.

image.png.80afe9b2e7c592834738f6e48e5cf8e7.png

image.png.1ac5dc93830931b7e9b16119c60ff13d.png

image.png.f993d2c45c00b35369bcabb01832cf27.png

August

We started with a Pokal tie against third tier Aachen – a side we’d beaten twice last season as we faced opposing outcomes to our seasons. I was taken aback by Aachen’s high line and advanced press but, as intended, we were able to play through this early pressure and over the top to our runners in offense. A first senior goal for Cherkaoui and a dream (second) debut for Goretzka got us up and running. The Kleines Revier derby – against Dortmund – was far from the ideal season opener but I ensured that morale was high, speaking and commenting on performances from the previous games along with my monthly training review time. We took an early lead through Tchetchoua before switching to a double pivot, moving Goretzka back to a DM role and Paqueta up to an AM(s) role. My plan was two-fold: more defensive cover but also get my players to draw in Dortmund’s double pivot of a BWM/SV, neither of whom are particularly renowned for staying put. This extra space would allow my forwards more opportunities to isolate defenders in 1v1 situations. Dortmund drew level through a well worked goal but the bragging rights, and dream start, belonged to us as Lawrence leapt highest to nod in a corner with minutes to go. Our defensive 4141 shape was then employed to see the game out but the learning from this is that I do think a 4231 can work, despite my repeated moves between that and our usual 433. A nice away draw at Wolfsburg followed where another tactical tweak helped us. Their play went through their false back three – created with a HB(d) sitting in with two attacking wing backs. I instructed Goretzka to press Essugo, pulling Sadirov inside to mark the AM, where Goretzka would’ve been. By putting a more defensively sound player to mark higher up and then filling the gap, as well as instructing all defenders onto their left foot to funnel the ball away from the in-balance I’d created on our left-hand side worked really well. Freiburg came to town and I was able to utilise long kicks from David Raya and a pacier, more direct approach to counter their aggressive full backs, with both goals coming from moves down the left after catching them high up the field.

September

We started with a poor result against Heidenheim, ending our strong start. However, the game was largely in our favour despite going a goal down inside two minutes. I trusted our processes in terms of transitional play and we ended with 1.45xG, some 300% of our opponents, rarely allowing them to threaten. A draw with Augsburg followed where, again, we couldn’t hold our lead before we ended with defeat in Munich, to Bayern. They created just over 2.00 non pen xG and missed a penalty but secured the win in injury time in, arguably, our best spell of the game, catching us on the break as we piled forward for an unlikely equaliser. Our season won’t be made or broken on these results but our form – 0.71xG, 23 passes, 51 passes in the final third, two half chances – will stand us in good stead. 

October

The entirety of October was pretty dull, to be fair! Draws against Stuttgart and Nurnberg could – potentially – go down as points dropped, given our overall play but a win over high flying Bremen was pleasing, as we demonstrated a slightly more potent level of attacking after moving from ‘Balanced’ to ‘Positive’ mentality. Given that we’ve scored among the lowest in the league, albeit underperforming our xG, I felt that a move to increase risk was necessary. That being said, our -4xG differential is overshadowed by our +6xGA differential, where David Raya has worked wonders in the next, with an xSave % of 86% being matched by his actual save percentage, stopping 0.61xG per game. I think that I need to find the balance - obviously, going forward more aggressively should lead to more chance creation but will only leave us wider open at the back, an area we're already hugely overachieving in. Our work on opposition threats is still paying dividends for us we are quite strong at restricting teams to a few chances, but, right now, they all seem to be from big chances - a failed transition where we're caught out on the edge of Zone 14 or a quick break where the man we've committed isn't quite sure of what to do! But, when that build up does work, things go pretty well!

I keep going back to that style over substance thought in my head and, especially after I've created an infographic of my intended style, feel that I am often revisiting the stats board to see where we lie. Last season, we sat first in many metrics that I care about but, for example, we now sit fourteenth in dribbles completed - although that is actually only two less per game than last year at 12.67. Our possession - as expected with a team who will now be attacked, rather than attack, is down below 50% and that's leading us to create the second least chances and have the second deepest defensive line, some six metres lower than last year. Furthermore, this luck cannot last forever - an opponent conversion rate of just 6% is what dreams are made of but, when we sit fourteenth in shots allowed, I think that the levee will break at some point!

After all is said and done, we’re now exactly in a bad place…

image.thumb.png.028a308d73dbbc591459aa391173cab4.png

End the season now and I'm delighted - six places above our predicted finish and above the likes of Bayer, Wolfsburg, Hertha and Stuttgart - all teams predicted to finish inside the top ten. That being said, those teams, with just over a quarter of the season gone, are all far too good to be there and at least one of them will surely overtake us. I'm following Heidenheim's progress with interest, considering that they were promoted with us but have, seemingly, taken well to life in the top flight. Whether that is a flash in the pan or not, time will tell. 

image.png.9f5cb4c81a309c92d67762c40596ec4e.png

Team-wise, we're doing pretty well but, of course, there's a small matter of managing individual player progress through player targets, discussions an general morale management

image.png.ec49c162f4aa664ddd50ef73ea72680f.png image.png.b14c02283b174e91f0bedc0da411e89a.png

The midfield duo haven't quite gelled in the way that I'd have wanted, with Paqueta struggling to adapt to life in Germany and the role that I want for him. The left sided midfield role, my number 10, has been an issue for some time now with Fernandez also struggling but an output of just 0.19 key passes per game, totalling to exactly one across his nine appearances is pretty abysmal. His expected outputs are, largely, from set pieces and his ball carrying - especially into that dangerous Zone 14 - is virtually non existent, too. I'll give him some time to bed in - absolutely - but we're now on to player number two who has struggled to turn into a creator - this time without the humongous xG/xA underperformance. On the flip side, Goretzka has (re)settled in wonderfully and has been a creative and driving force in either of the roles, covering a near-13km per match and having solid outputs in terms of ball winning and possession metrics. His key passes sit at just 1.07 per game, still down on what I'd want from that role but significantly higher than the 'actual' creator in the team. The fact that he's helped himself to both goals and assists is also a strong sign as is the fact that his advancing age doesn't seem to be causing him much in the way of concern.

image.png.0f4c82c65ddf07b2b5631cd4be7d583b.pngimage.png.c8f82cb02c52ed06203a4a44178d0fa7.png

My two academy graduates have been doing really well but only in one area of their game! Molina is yet to get on the scoresheet, despite registering three assists from 2.75 xA this season as well as thirty-three dribbles and forty-three progressive passes, which, at just under four a game, is really strong for a man as advanced as he is. Registering 1.34 key passes per game is a little on the low side and is certainly a decrease on last year but, again, I must recognise the increase in quality. Up top, Tchetchoua has been scoring really well - over a goal every other game but is offering virtually nothing creatively, certainly making me question his CF(a) role within the side. His lack of shots feels a little synonymous of our offensive struggles and, yet again, his actual goal figure isn't far off his expected figure but his goals are all we've had since August so I can't complain too much! 

image.png.b4902a213b7e1e405648393cae74c80a.png

I was so worried about Raya last year but, this year, he's stepped up and is - arguably - the form keeper in the league. Despite us not keeping a huge number of clean sheets, his expected save ratio is actually now surpassed by his save ratio - with both numbers in the high eighties. The comfort and class he possesses on the ball is absolutely second to none and, for goalkeepers, his ability to progress the ball - remembering that you cannot be in the defensive third to complete a progressive pass, is wonderful and a true sign that he's a real sweeper keeper. The 'problem' is that he's going to have to keep up this level of performance all year, which is truly going to be tough!

---

I've just signed a new contract, which runs for five years - a real sign of commitment from the board to this project and we're heading towards January with the basics of a small recruitment drive to look forward to. That being said, more work needs to be done on the actual pitch to ensure that we've got enough to keep our heads above water, survive and then thrive at this level. 

Nur de VfL!

Doing well for a small, promoted team. I am loving the tactical summaries of your play. I wish I was more tactically able and not just play a 4-2-3-1 Wide Gengenpress variation and find tactical success in the game. I am definitely in awe of both you and @SixPointer.

Can you really call yourself an FM player if you haven’t brought in a few aging “stars” for the feels. 

A pretty impressive hit rate too to be getting performances out of Raya and Goretzka

On 06/03/2024 at 19:57, Hootieleece said:

Doing well for a small, promoted team. I am loving the tactical summaries of your play. I wish I was more tactically able and not just play a 4-2-3-1 Wide Gengenpress variation and find tactical success in the game. I am definitely in awe of both you and @SixPointer.

Thanks!

Honestly - things grow and evolve over time: ten years ago, I was using the editors to give myself super teams and destroying morale/fitness before matches so I could win 27-0 or whatever; four years ago, I was using Excel more than actual FM to create visualisations of average player growth between sixteen to eighteen compared to their personality descriptor and now I'm knee deep in tactical thoughts and that element of game realism. It's just built up over the years as my interests in the real-life game have changed and evolved, too.

7 hours ago, Chris_ANZFM said:

Can you really call yourself an FM player if you haven’t brought in a few aging “stars” for the feels. 

A pretty impressive hit rate too to be getting performances out of Raya and Goretzka

I'd say more than just performances from Raya. He's one of my favourite players and he's currently the best in Europe, in my eyes:

a9075e009401cb73c9c4658d2c531821.png

Compare that to people like Ramsdale - Arsenal -  (-2.05xGP), Maignan - AC Milan - (-0.77xGP), Donnarumma - PSG - (2.94xGP), Seimen - Man City - (0.50xGP) and Mamardashvili - Man Utd - (-0.30xGP) and you'll see just how well he's done and how much he's saved us! We'd be in a right mess without him...

18 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Compare that to people like Ramsdale - Arsenal -  (-2.05xGP), Maignan - AC Milan - (-0.77xGP), Donnarumma - PSG - (2.94xGP), Seimen - Man City - (0.50xGP) and Mamardashvili - Man Utd - (-0.30xGP) and you'll see just how well he's done and how much he's saved us! We'd be in a right mess without him...

We must you and me to make a good conversation via pm about the Goalkeepers evaluation….hmmmm

Edited by milenec11