Match 26 - Belgium vs Morocco 1pm GMT. Live from the Al Thumana Stadium

Darius1998

LINEUPS

Meunier and Castagne start as full backs today with Everton's Amadou Onana slotting into the midfield alongside Axel Witsel.

Morocco remain unchanged from their 0-0 draw against Croatia.

Edited by Darius1998

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what to expect here. Belgium ought to want to try and get it done before they have to face Croatia, but a point isn’t an awful result for them. Morocco might take another draw here and then back themselves to beat Canada. 

Could be another low scorer.

36 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Morocco with one of the best FB pairings in the whole tournament.

I'd say its probably the second best pairing after ours (Nuno Mendes - Cancelo), or maybe third or fourth after France (Theo - Kounde) and England (Shaw - Trippier)

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

He can't do better because he can't react until the ball passes the guy in offside who's like two meters away from him.

Yeah, you're right.

Replay showed that, but it looked as much worse goalkeeping in the live stream.

4 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

That's offside, he's way off and tries to play the ball, doesn't matter if he touched it or not.

Not that simple. It's being so close to the keeper that does it. Had he done the same thing but at the back post while the keeper was a the near post then touching it or not would have been the decider. But here he affects the keeper and then it's an offence no matter if he touches it or not.

Just now, Mr Wallin said:

Not that simple. It's being so close to the keeper that does it. Had he done the same thing but at the back post while the keeper was a the near post then touching it or not would have been the decider. But here he affects the keeper and then it's an offence no matter if he touches it or not.

Yeah, but as I've said many times, if you ask me, every attempt to play the ball should be an instant offside. Passive should be applied only when someone's completely out of the play and defenders are aware he's out of the play.

1 minute ago, kpain16 said:

Morocco looks like the best African team on the tournament. Not only do they have good players, but they're tactically spot on.

Well, they're more or less an European team for all intents and purposes. Everyone except a few players went through European club academies or were even born in Europe.

3 minutes ago, BoroPhil said:

don't understand the confusion of the commentators there, surely the ref check was on his opinion on whether he was interfering or not

Exactly right. VAR can only decide on the objective part, offside or not. The subjective part, interfering or not, has to go to the referee on the pitch. Any commentator that hasn't understood that simple distinction by now really shouldn't be allowed into a studio/stadium.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, but as I've said many times, if you ask me, every attempt to play the ball should be an instant offside. Passive should be applied only when someone's completely out of the play and defenders are aware he's out of the play.

Yea and I understand your POW, even if I don't agree. But trying to pass it off as fact when the rules say otherwise is still crap, especially when you know it.

8 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Another 'victory' for VAR, even though without VAR that gets correctly called offside straightaway.

Yea just the same as the one the other day, the AR on the pitch has gotten them right without VAR. That said I think the interference part here was more difficult to be sure of for the referee though.