The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Thanks, really happy (and scared) about the progression so far. If I can make the playoff spot (16th out of 18 teams) I will be extremely happy. The good thing is that Darmstadt and 1860 Munchen got promoted alongside me instead of Schalke and Union Berlin, I think they will struggle as well, so it's basically a battle between us and them. 

The supporters have moderate say on my position. They are keeping in mind the results from last year and strongly want me to be competitive against Hertha Berlin so those will be big games for us!! 

image.png.c2e8e3d4a6213269f5dccc2a30b87eb5.png

that’s the best scenario you could really hope for, best of luck for the next season

17 minutes ago, Sn00gle said:

@JLAB I think it's bug, like you got. After sign in new HOYD i've got instant report when usually it comes at new year with old data from last one. 
image.thumb.png.5ef1f20f29edfdb3eede4924dcafad5b.png

Yeah, sometimes the game does that for some reason. You should be fine though since you've not gotten to December yet.

2 hours ago, Nottingham Forest said:

South Shields F.C. - Wikipedia

Season 7

Season 2029-30

Vanarama National League

Second longest, maybe third attempt at this challenge. That's a wrap. Board, despite saying we needed to attempt to avoid relegation decided to sack me as I couldn't persuade them. Don't feel we were a bad side. But experience, morale and once you've lost it you're very much not getting it back. Update will be short and sweet.

Season Summary

FA Cup we managed to take Notts County of L2 to a replay and pens before losing. FA Trophy was third round and out. In the league we finished 23rd. Unfortunately we tried everything and it just wasn't working. Frustratingly we didn't have a bad squad. The sale harmed us so the chairman has to take blame for that.

7182811_SouthShields_Fixtures-3.png.dea1f3cd3afd56c31219583314823359.png

1699790794_SouthShields_Fixtures-4.png.8a3a4583b1a250bed61efe5c332039a6.png

1296957025_SouthShields_Fixtures-5.png.c5ca41eff1c13954e05ab61b2da3fb89.png

1990442418_VanaramaNationalLeague_Stages.thumb.png.ea58f8730651d2a67f9ea68f85e11eaa.png

Damn unlucky, very frustrating too i know how much hard work goes into the save. im onto my second attempt at first ended badly. it really seems to be these lower leagues of england are extremely tough to get out of. 

I was 1 point off top, and i have been thumped 6-2 4-1 and 5-0. now 10 behind and falling drastically. in 4th position and only 2 clear of the playoffs now after looking solid, i cannot stop conceeding. As i type another 3-3. 50 goals leaked in 28 games, only the bottom 3 have more. 

3 hours ago, Nottingham Forest said:

South Shields F.C. - Wikipedia

Season 7

Season 2029-30

Vanarama National League

Second longest, maybe third attempt at this challenge. That's a wrap. Board, despite saying we needed to attempt to avoid relegation decided to sack me as I couldn't persuade them. Don't feel we were a bad side. But experience, morale and once you've lost it you're very much not getting it back. Update will be short and sweet.

Season Summary

FA Cup we managed to take Notts County of L2 to a replay and pens before losing. FA Trophy was third round and out. In the league we finished 23rd. Unfortunately we tried everything and it just wasn't working. Frustratingly we didn't have a bad squad. The sale harmed us so the chairman has to take blame for that.

7182811_SouthShields_Fixtures-3.png.dea1f3cd3afd56c31219583314823359.png

1699790794_SouthShields_Fixtures-4.png.8a3a4583b1a250bed61efe5c332039a6.png

1296957025_SouthShields_Fixtures-5.png.c5ca41eff1c13954e05ab61b2da3fb89.png

1990442418_VanaramaNationalLeague_Stages.thumb.png.ea58f8730651d2a67f9ea68f85e11eaa.png

Hard luck.

try going to another nation with fewer tiers or at least smaller seasons if you like this style of save but it’s just not ha-pending in England.

I started with South Shields in the beta and got a little bored. I like finding nuances in other leagues (still sticking with europe for now).

I think England is probably one of the hardest nuts to crack in this type of save

3 hours ago, Nottingham Forest said:

But experience, morale and once you've lost it you're very much not getting it back

ah man, i know exactly what you mean. those last two months of results are really harsh. it definitely seems more like morale manager than anything else down in those lower leagues. hope you get a bit more luck/understanding board next time round!

I genuinely can't do anything. after 23 games i was 4th with 42 points. after 42 games i have 49 points. I can't do anything at all to stop it, team meetings, changing tactics, tweaking. going so well literally flying and it just all of a sudden did this. Every single shot or attack is a goal, i lost 2-1 to Hitchen, i had 3 goals disallowed in the second half. I cannot believe the collapse of this season. Absolutely gutted. 

Never in my FM career have to gone through this sort of patch! Luckily i am 5 points clear of relegation with 4 games left, that the other teams should hopefully run out of games to catch me!

image.thumb.png.9cd5f489d093a9347f7f0a0805305fb8.png

On 11/11/2022 at 15:11, hubwub said:

Did you lose any players during the transfer window?

yeah i lost my two highest rated players Aguirre in defence who had is measly minimum release clause activated at 18.75k and Miranda up front for an even worse fee of 10k.  I couldnt get them to resign 

Beginning to think I might need to bin off my Croatia save due to the club making a huge loss of money every month. 
I suspect I’m going to end up in a cycle of massive debt = no facility improvements = no decent newgens = no league progress :(

1 hour ago, SkiIIs said:

Image result for tampico madero

Season 2 - 2025 - Expansion League

Opening stage - we did really well in the league section, clinching second spot after winning the last three games. We're now seem to be one of the strongest team in the league winning more than not.  The QF draw paired us up against Venados, a chance to ger revenge from last seasons knock out. This time the first leg was away with a similar result losing 3 - 1 at home.  Made it really tough for the home leg as we needed to win by 2 goals to go through as the highest ladder position. In a game we dominated, we won 2 - 1 which was not enough.

Reveal hidden contents

1512036306_2022-11-11(3).png.59221e0ce6c104e7ed502ce4e8ad4b39.png

96574770_2022-11-14(3).png.3ad0794e5a0228609e17eee3600ac8a9.png

Closing stage - Again we finished second, only to Pueblas who were relegated from the first division. QF we got none other then Venados again, three times in a row now. Away first, we came away with a strong 1 - 0 win. In the home leg we blew them away early until i subbed out our key players to rest them (5 subs) before winning 5 - 4. Next was Puebla where we dominated at home first up but only managed a 1 - 0 win.  Away we copped a goal early and needed to at least draw the game to go through. we got that goal in the 80th minute and so progressed to the final. In the Final are our only rivals Correcaminos (who won the opening stage). I assume this was a dead rubber tie as they won the opening stage and hence both teams would play in the final (i didnt realise this at the time so played my best players and drained them). WE lost 2 - 1 away and 3 - 1 in extra time at home to be the Champions of the Closing Stage.  

Reveal hidden contents

1969596872_2022-11-14(4).png.a481aa36a9ae8ee664457f37f323d1c0.png

1723848390_2022-11-14(5).png.1fba7f6801b59e79973ba0b740f3beeb.png

Promotion battle -  we ended up losing in bloody penalties over two legs.  We bottled the lead too many times!

Reveal hidden contents

705605980_2022-11-14(6).png.0e1543a9833e329a4c541a1bfd9d21e6.png

3257191_2022-11-14(7).png.df57e3a9cfa90fa78d81a1b03af52404.png

Upgrades:

Reveal hidden contents

1581498088_2022-11-11(1).png.3d1ef5ed3ab497ae9ffef56deeec0ee0.png217184144_2022-11-11(2).png.baf7bc07045f8e826a8cabc6de744cc7.png

Youth preview was all A's and the intake itself was pretty good. The best prospect is Resolute so thats pretty exciting!

2022-11-12.png.571cc33eb73f9ccbccec79a2c4cda083.png

1864772541_2022-11-12(1).png.bd7054c6c2397e188821f58d7ffea28c.png

Ricardo Sol, what a W pickup from youth academy!

You are lucky to have Correcaminos having been promoted. Since the start of my game, they still haven't been promoted it makes me sad. It's a shocker that Tampico Madero has no other rivals.

Question:

For those who have played in Germany or with II (EG: Dortmund 2) squads.
Do you put players (youth) in the 2 squad if the 2 squad is not in a competition?

For real context:
I have:
Unterhaching - In 3.Liga
Unterhaching II - in no league
Unterhacing u19 - In U 19 League

I am guessing those in Unterhaching II will have little to no development unless I constantly arrange friendlies. I don't have an option to request Unterhaching II join a league (I thought they were adding it).

What is best to do in this situation? Just ignore Unterhaching II and have everyone in the main squad of U19?

Based on the posts in this thread, all journeys are a joy to follow btw, it seems like the challenge is tougher this year. 

Re-signing players are much more difficult than previous versions with non-negotiable release clauses much more frequent and players deciding early that they want to leave on free transfer. 

I have to say it does seem that this year people are going for it with the graphics and spreadsheets, with a lot of them being a step up from previous years, which i love as it does make it far easier to see it all in one place and you can get an idea of what has happened that season without having to scroll down and down....

No pressure on everyone else though to keep up!! 

Seriously though i am going to have a go for my next season report as i think it will be good method of information consolidation.

It is interesting to see the depth some go into the youth intake, which i suppose is the bread and butter of the entire challenge, i especailly like seeing the locations of where the newgens come from. Is there a particular site that people use to generate this or is it just find a map and stick pins to it?

and yes it does seem more challenging this year

1 hour ago, Kazushi80 said:

The structure for this season review is inspired by @thomas_e and his posts about a (very, very successful) challenge with Energie Cottbus (see his most recent post with a Bundesliga promotion here). I hope it's okay that I've taken your design ;) (btw: love all the great graphic designs in this thread, but since I am very, very bad at graphics I can only admire them :) )

Of course it's okay :D 

Looking forward to following your journey with KSC Lokeren. Always great to start off the challenge with a promotion :thup::thup::thup:

Edited by thomas_e

On 13/11/2022 at 10:33, thomas_e said:

Below is a screenshot of the training program that I use for the U19. As you can see it focuses a lot on development and it works for defenders and attackers! 

I actively praise and critize players for traning performances. Make sure that you go to staff settings and have your U19 and Reserve team coach send you weekly reports on how the players are performing in training. I usually praise players when they perform better than 9,0 and critize them when they perform below 6,0. 

Just make sure that you dont praise a player more than two weeks in a row. They often tend to get angry if you praise them three weeks in a row, as strange as that sounds. 

image.thumb.png.cb568b2d23ffd217c74d2ca9dc34476c.png

In my previous save i was criticizing anything below 7.0 and in the long term all my players but 1 or 2 were performing above that threshold and praising whoever was 7.0 and above. They do indeed get mad sometimes but then i'd just back down and everything was fine. Youth with good personality were developing like crazy following that method, but is surely lame having to go through this processs every week inside the game.

2 minutes ago, v1n1akabozo said:

In my previous save i was criticizing anything below 7.0 and in the long term all my players but 1 or 2 were performing above that threshold and praising whoever was 7.0 and above. They do indeed get mad sometimes but then i'd just back down and everything was fine. Youth with good personality were developing like crazy following that method, but is surely lame having to go through this processs every week inside the game.

Yes, a lot of work, but thanks for the tip, I might start critizing players a bit more even when they are performing above my usual 6,0 criteria! 

First of all, I have to say, wow - so many great reports, so well prepared and presented. Every year I read here with pleasure and i´m always on the verge of entering here myself. The only problem I have is that I watch the games on at least "advanced" mode, so I think I'll never get to what the goal is here :)

You probably all play with instant results?

Or is the journey the goal? :)

Edited by Conardo

3 minutes ago, Conardo said:

First of all, I have to say, wow - so many great reports, so well prepared and presented. Every year I read here with pleasure and i´m always on the verge of entering here myself. The only problem I have is that I watch the games on at least "advanced" mode, so I think I'll never get to what the goal is here :)

I never finish this challenge in my life  LoL:rolleyes:

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Sn00gle:

I never finish this challenge in my life  LoL:rolleyes:

Somebody started with Tord (?), since then it's been a hit - who shot the thing anyway? That has to be less than 1%, right? :)

7 minutes ago, Conardo said:

I watch all my games on extended except when the team is in such a great form that i'm confident we'll win either way, and in this case i switch it to key highlights. Never have used instant results.

13 minutes ago, Conardo said:

First of all, I have to say, wow - so many great reports, so well prepared and presented. Every year I read here with pleasure and am always on the verge of entering here myself. The only problem I have is that I watch mr the games on at least "advanced" mode, so I think I'll never get to what the goal is here :)

I'm watching all of my games on key highlights. The lack of transfers coming in means that the seasons tends to go much quicker. Seeing the journey to eventually completing the goal is always the fun part of saves.

9 hours ago, Cultured Left Foot said:

The Journey with Guiseley has started. For those that would like to watch the video series of this journey, it can be found here : https://www.youtube.com/c/CulturedLeftFoot

But those on the forum, here is the starting summary :

image.png.5c343db92b6ef3fd04fb504b81e4ebdc.png

Guiseley Association Football Club is a football club based in Guiseley, West Yorkshire, England.  As of this save, they are currently members of the Vanarama National League North , the sixth tier of English football, and play at Nethermoor Park.

Dave Nicholls (Cultured Left Foot) has been appointed the manager of the newly promoted team.  Having no coaching badges and only playing Sunday League football, he's got a lot to learn in a short space of time. image.png.e8ca3f6dcd5032b8c191bb273d50a122.png

Nicholls will be hoping to get the most out of star player Jorge Sikora, but is already in a battle to keep his star central defender with interest from Gateshead and Southend.image.thumb.png.967e0e593cb9d9289f4da2428071a80d.png

The facilities aren't the best, but they are what they are. Lots of work is needed in youth development, youth coaching and the youth facilities.image.png.843f90fb0066f418e917bd0b29a0021e.png

First thing was to make sure our Head of Youth Development was suitable and checking of Dave Currie, who was already at the club we decided to give him another one year contract.
image.thumb.png.ff67e8b2ba96529ec083715c5cf01f1e.png

One big bit of concern for the squad is that we only have one contracted GK across our whole squad (Lets hope he doesn't get injured!)image.thumb.png.3850b0e22d583e50e193590cdc7d9d7e.png

I'll try and keep the updates regular in the forums to keep you all up to date as much as possible. 

Cheers,

Dave/CLF

GL at Guiseley its a great club for the challenge especially with that 3 Youth level & facilities. Did your Zambian player get a work permit? I could never get him one so had to release him when I started.  At least for me Trenerry wasn't injury prone, as well as has good potential while being very young for a starting GK. Should give you some cushion till you can develop your own GK in the youth ranks.

Look forward to watching your progress!

20 minutes ago, Conardo said:

The journey is the goal! I think most saves presented in here do not complete the challenge.

I watch every game with the middle setting (can't remember the correct name as I don't have the game open), but with the fastest speed. However, I go much faster through a season than normal when playing this challenge. Primarly because you don't spend time on scouting and transfers. So the time between matches is limited.

I find at the low levels like in Luxembourg it can be dangerous to use too many instant results as its more about 'morale manager' than anything else. With that said, due to the fact I didn't have any staff I did use instant results for all the U21 matches because I didn't really care about a full grey team / my reject players. While i will use instant results with the 1st team its only in seasons where I'm more of a mid-table threat. Otherwise I'm a key highlight player as well. Other thing I do (especially for Luxembourg) is holiday through weeks where nothing is happening instead of spaming the spacebar.  

vor einer Stunde schrieb Conardo:

Always Extended Highlights, except maybe a cup game or last games of the season if everything is decided with "key", never instant result.

And yes, the challenges take time (never finished one ;) ), but you win back a lot of time because you don't do transfer, don't need to scout any potential signings etc.