The Football Manager Playbook Released

2 hours ago, Cleon said:

I used to upload my saved games for people to play on when I did articles.

You stopped doing that? Because I experienced that I still learn a lot by analyzing savegames from tactic-creators, and I think others who would like to learn could still learn a lot by doing that as well.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, JoOSTAR said:

You stopped doing that? Because I experienced that I still learn a lot by analyzing savegames from tactic-creators, and I think others who would like to learn could still learn a lot by doing that as well.

Aye I stopped it because I still got the same silly comments as on here. “I played a season and lost blah blah” so I just gave up. No matter what I do people moan because they can’t replicate what I do. In fact this is why I mainly stay away from here now and don’t participate much anymore. It’s tiresome.

When that is never the message of any posts I do. I try and teach people how the game works by avoiding all the explosive stuff so the user can create a realistic tactic and always have success in any version of the game regardless of how the game evolves.

11 minutes ago, Cleon said:

Aye I stopped it because I still got the same silly comments as on here. “I played a season and lost blah blah” so I just gave up. No matter what I do people moan because they can’t replicate what I do. In fact this is why I mainly stay away from here now and don’t participate much anymore. It’s tiresome.

When that is never the message of any posts I do. I try and teach people how the game works by avoiding all the explosive stuff so the user can create a realistic tactic and always have success in any version of the game regardless of how the game evolves.

Don't let yourself get chased away by some individuals. There are still a lot of people who appreciate all the effort. Haters always gonna hate.

hace 17 minutos, Cleon dijo:

Just like JoOSTAR said, don't stress over 1 or 2 comments questioning you. The people who admire your work and actually get better thanks to it are majority.

5 hours ago, Lira95 said:

if you try the tactic with the same team, players and season, you won't get the same results.

Every season plays out differently due to several factors. You can just pick one of your own tactics and replay a season over and over again and you most likely will end up with different results and / or different adjustments to your tactics. Thats the beauty of football, isn't it?

3 hours ago, Cleon said:

I always tell people not to try and copy anyway because they don't think the same way as me or others. We all have different approaches, different ways we react to things and a lot of people don't even understand what they're seeing happen on the pitch.

Can confirm this from my time as a reallife coach as well. Your management style will grow based on your capabilities, your line of thinking, your grasp of concepts and situational awareness.
It does not grow from copying as it is not a certainty that that style matches your capabilities.

Many thanks @Cleon for pulling this together; a fascinating read with lots of "food for thought" for me to take into my FM saves. I found the mentality section particularly useful along with the training the eye section with its examples/analysis. Looking forward to FM23 but having read through this playbook I am planning on trying a few things out on my current FM22 main save prior to getting into FM23.

Em 26/08/2022 em 22:14, Wolf_pd disse:

Can confirm this from my time as a reallife coach as well. Your management style will grow based on your capabilities, your line of thinking, your grasp of concepts and situational awareness.
It does not grow from copying as it is not a certainty that that style matches your capabilities.

That can be true for a lot of areas, it's interesting.

Quite a few people have asked me if I could translate the document. This can be done by going to the online version of the book and using you're preferred translator to view it online;

https://fmplaybook.viewfromthetouchline.com/

So if you use Chrome etc just install a translator on the web browser and it'll translate. If you want an offline copy then download book by clicking the install button located in the browser on the above link. After that click the link on your desktop.

Then when it opens click extensions as highlighted here.

1361874903_Untitled(1).png.23bd253a67f0a37e873b964d955a77e6.png

Then choose translate

Then hit the translate page option. Sometimes it might not do it first time. If it doesn't click the button again and it will translate the second time.

1472556968_Untitled(2).png.d35af8506c02c675b4bb5ee249c3a21e.png

Then it should show in the chosen language.

Untitled.png.d1639ddb1fbec20ae7b6a4abf8512a56.png

Hopefully that helps a few of you :)

Hey @Cleon , first of all thank you for this masterpiece.

I've seen your idea to translate the page but google translator is not always accurate and I think it would still be appreciated to have a more carefully translated copy by FM players. I myself am making a personal translation with the help of the deepl.com site because I concentrate better than reading it from English. Would you mind if I upload it on your behalf on FMsite, my Spanish-speaking reference site, when I finish it? 

5 minutes ago, Fugado said:

Hey @Cleon , first of all thank you for this masterpiece.

I've seen your idea to translate the page but google translator is not always accurate and I think it would still be appreciated to have a more carefully translated copy by FM players. I myself am making a personal translation with the help of the deepl.com site because I concentrate better than reading it from English. Would you mind if I upload it on your behalf on FMsite, my Spanish-speaking reference site, when I finish it? 

As long as you link back to the original its all fine :)

50 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Cleon,

Thank you for writing this. I'll be diving into it ASAP, and I cannot wait to start utilizing some of your methods in my own way of playing the game.

Cheers.

Hope you enjoy :)

Thanks for this. I've got back in FM just because you are back at writing .

I was a big fun of tea and busquets, and I just realized you got another web site. Although I know already the full amount of articles you wrote , I'll give it a read.

It is inspiring, I love to read it through. The tactic stuff is well taught. And I'm also the defensive tactician as you prefer most of the time but not always. I'll try to build something soon and show the results playing defensive football. Where can I fetch you on discord? Thanks again

1 hour ago, zemaniano85 said:

Thanks for this. I've got back in FM just because you are back at writing .

I was a big fun of tea and busquets, and I just realized you got another web site. Although I know already the full amount of articles you wrote , I'll give it a read.

It is inspiring, I love to read it through. The tactic stuff is well taught. And I'm also the defensive tactician as you prefer most of the time but not always. I'll try to build something soon and show the results playing defensive football. Where can I fetch you on discord? Thanks again

The Discord link is listed on the socials tab in the top right corner of the website homepage :)

11 saat önce, Cleon said:

For those of you who have read the book, what would you like to see in a second one?

Thanks for the great work! I've enjoyed reading it so much. I got three suggestions, i hope they'll make sense to you:lol:.

1. Move Into Channels instruction is something most of us get confused with, can you visually show purposes of it?
  2. It'd be great if you display more examples on how to create space in the final third, especially for lone-striker systems. I have been seen that people mostly stick to "deep-dropping ST and IF(at)" and don't know how to create space in another ways, by using AF for example.
  3. Pulling opposition DMs out of position is another common struggle too. 

On 24/09/2022 at 16:25, Cleon said:

For those of you who have read the book, what would you like to see in a second one?

I would be very interested in a possession based 4-1-4-1 in FM 22. But I am highly biased as that's what I am trying to play. Just in general possession based systems, as a lot of us are still struggling against the odd team who are sitting deep and somehow have more possession than us. It has kind of become an accepted occurence in last years, wonder how you would handle that.

But as always whatever inspires you I am sure we would all love to continue read from you!

I upvote 4-1-4-1 posession. I would like to see how different line of engagement affects pressing and defending. I'm trying really hard to create 3-4-2-1 and I am struggling with loe because lower engagement makes my team more compact and also makes my am's to dribble more, but it doesn't feel "right"

@Cleon I would also love to see your take on Bielsa 3-3-3-1. I have used your tactic from fm15(?),  but I believe that new take on it would interest a lot of readers.  Article maybe?

other things i'm keen to see: Ajax development, invincibles (with segundo Volante would be the dream), new take on WM. 

Screenshot_20221003-134252.jpg

Would like to see something on consistory creating good shot quality in possession systems. Now don’t get me wrong I still am able to break down and score goals, but my shots on target is often less than 50% and I tend to rack up a lot of average shots (although the 3-4 really clear opportunities I get allow me to win the majority of games)

• 1 month later...

How have I missed that this has been released? :D

You've given me some work to do over the weekend. Always great to read your articles even though I have been playing and quite successfully for over 15 years. I just know that I will learn something that I didn't know before or you'll give me new idea.

I'll definitely have some ideas and thoughts about the book once I go through it

Cheers, Cleon!