FM22 CM(attack) thread

Since there is an FM22 AMC thread, i thought it would be nice to pay homage to the best role in this season’s game-the CM on attack. Discuss how you maximise your CM in your tactics. For me i play a strikerless tactic with the CM (a) playing next to the ML that is an IW (a) in a 4-1-5-0. No instructions are given to the CM except to specifically mark the centreback in front of it, the DCR. The goal is to trigger the CM during counters which has led to some really nice counter goals. Playing the CM next to the IW helps in overloading the left side of the pitch which has led to easy tap ins for the IW when the ball is switched to the right flank for an easy delivery since everyone is dragged to the left.

Cool thread! I've not managed to test it out properly yet but my CM(a) is in a 442 with a lowish block. He's not the best finisher but he's an aggressive runner who is good in the air. Because of his attacking traits, I'm going to play him in BBM role so that he (hopefully) resembles a CM(a). I'm hoping he attacks the box to get on the end of crosses (a bit like Soucek). No idea if it will actually work out like that though. He's paired with a CM(d) & alongside him is a DW(s). On the other wing I have a WP(a). In front it's a TF(s) & a PF(a).

Edited by smeagoltonez

• Formation = 4-3-3
  • 2 inside forwards
  • F9
  • CM(a) + another central midfielder role as needed
  • DLP at the base of the triangle
  • 2 wingbacks
  • 2 central defenders

This can also work with an attack duty striker and more supportive flank players, as there is still plenty of space for the CM(a) to rush in.

The one downside I have noticed with this formation is that the pressing is often too passive. It's as if those central midfielders don't quite get there, and opponents can end up passing between their GK and defenders for half the match. A 4-1-4-1 with AML/AMR and two AMCs presses much better, but I consider it a bit of a cheat formation.

The role is a dagger in a 433. It works superb with both attacking or dropping strikers and with a winger or inside forward on his side. It's the only attacking pattern I can see over and over again: two players passing the ball to eachother and then the CM(a) attacks the box unmarked and with a lot of space to receive a through ball.

Edited by bosque

Had a lot of success with a flat 451 in my second season in the Serie A with Parma. André Anderson joined us for a free from Lazio and, playing asa CM(A), bagged 16 goals in 32 games in the league for us.

I've liked the CM(A) role in certain tactics ever since FM14. But it does seem to be kicking into another gear in this year's match engine.

Regan Booty is an awesome CM(A) for lower league teams, starting in my Maidstone United squad.

The best part is I get all kinds of excellent emails like "Booty in fine form".

Apologies for the horrendous resolution, but here again is an example of the CM(A) pressing and finishing chances. Brilliant in a three man midfield. I think off the ball movement is the most valuable trait for these kind of players (and is undervalued in general).

image.gif

Edited by Flußkrebs

On 29/06/2022 at 17:05, Overmars said:
  • Formation = 4-3-3
  • 2 inside forwards
  • F9
  • CM(a) + another central midfielder role as needed
  • DLP at the base of the triangle
  • 2 wingbacks
  • 2 central defenders

This can also work with an attack duty striker and more supportive flank players, as there is still plenty of space for the CM(a) to rush in.

The one downside I have noticed with this formation is that the pressing is often too passive. It's as if those central midfielders don't quite get there, and opponents can end up passing between their GK and defenders for half the match. A 4-1-4-1 with AML/AMR and two AMCs presses much better, but I consider it a bit of a cheat formation.

You could try and move the F9 down to the AMC position, and use Shadow Striker instead. Then, raise the LoE to highest and set DL to high. That should get your central midfielders involved earlier in the press.

1 hour ago, rootcoors said:

This is nice. What does your formation look like?

A 4312, usually something like:

AF-AF

APs

CMa-CMd-BBM

FB-BPD-CD-WB

The CMa has stay wider and various player traits on the two different regulars I use which mean you can get a lot of variability.

Here one of my favorite newgen player for playing CM Attack:

Screenshot_1.png.b44bdf401919f6f490c654ed8e47dd30.png

One of the best players in Greek Superleague 2037. Trying to remove "Dictates Tempo" and "Arrives Late in Opponent's Area" to boost his performance even more.

. Take More Risks
. Dribble More
. Shoot Less Often
. Move Into Channels

Half way in the league, is a top goal scorer - highest av. rating - most assists and final most player of the match awards for my club. Problem is "Wanted". Helps me with the merchandising in China where I have an affiliate partnership.  

Currently experimenting with a 4-3-3 (or 4-1-2-3 DM Wide) formation with direct counter-attack strategy. It's still early in the season, but it looks somewhat promising.

AFa

IFs                               Ws

BWMd -- CMa

Ad

FBs---CDd----CDd--WBs

GKd

Playing long balls forward, IFs and CMa can offer support for AFa and win second balls even if opposition defender wins initial header. CMa links up with WBs and Ws. WBs supports midfield when CMa moves further forward on the pitch. At the same time Ad and BWMd hold position and fight for midfield possession. I really like how CMa very often ends up in no man's land and finds acres of space near the edge of area - he arrives late to attacks, when Ws has taken the ball forward already, he receives passes from all attacking players and his movement causes problems to defenders.

Anyone having luck with pairing double CM(A)s or a CM(A) with a Mezzala in a 3-midfield?
Something like CM(A)-DLP(De)-CM(A)? With fullbacks cowering or IWB maybe?

20 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Is this thread limited to the CM(A) role? I've been having a blast with the Mezzala this year but the same applies to the CM(A), those runs from deep are devastating 

Nope feel free to chime away on the mezzala too @Johnny Ace btw is there any movement difference beware the mezzala and a CM with roaming and MIC added or is it under the hood mechanics?

20 minutes ago, Jyuan83 said:

Nope feel free to chime away on the mezzala too @Johnny Ace btw is there any movement difference beware the mezzala and a CM with roaming and MIC added or is it under the hood mechanics?

:thup: I've been using a Mezz(A) in my YAC save he's been the top scorer the last 3 seasons, brilliant role 

I think they have "dribble wide" in their role instructions 

I love the CMa position in a 4 3 3. I have him paired with an AP and 2 IW with the one on his side on support and the other side being on attack. Then i have a F9 who leaves the space for the CMa to run into. I am Man City and Bernardo Silva has played it for 3 seasons and scored 20+ goals a season. Also had Gundogan as back up scoring between 10 - 15. Assists usually come from De Bruyne in the AP role. Love when it happens as thats exactly how i wanted the role and the team to play!

4 hours ago, mafie_99 said:

I love the CMa position in a 4 3 3. I have him paired with an AP and 2 IW with the one on his side on support and the other side being on attack. Then i have a F9 who leaves the space for the CMa to run into. I am Man City and Bernardo Silva has played it for 3 seasons and scored 20+ goals a season. Also had Gundogan as back up scoring between 10 - 15. Assists usually come from De Bruyne in the AP role. Love when it happens as thats exactly how i wanted the role and the team to play!

is the AP role on support?

Which role would you combine a CM(a) with on the flank? When toying around with the role, I always come up with the same conundrum: should I be watchful of overlaps, defensive cover or them taking up the same space?

For example: 

------IW(s)
CM(a)
------FB(a)

or:

-----IF(a)
CM(a)
-----FB(s)

Is it best to put the CM on attack so he supports the IF(a), while the FB is more conservative to provide cover, yet risking CM and IF running into the same space? Or is the IW the better option as he supports the CM a bit lower, while the FB provides width? But then the risk of taking up the same space persists, I believe.

Interested to see your takes on that.

Edit: in this scenario I employ a HB to bolster the defense when CM or FB are marauding up the pitch.

Edited by jens_dewit

16 hours ago, halfspace3000 said:

nice, whats your formation looking? i got something similar with my roma save

Apologies i am not at my computer so just sending it by typing...

Mentality = Positive
TIs

• In possession focus play down the left and right with underlap left and right, Play out of defence, low crosses
  • Nothing for in transition
  • Higher DL and LOE and More Often Pressing
  • OIs I copied BTNs instructons of showing full backs onto opposite foot (DR to left foot etc.) and then DM, MC to tackling hard.

Roles players going Right to Left

SKs, FBa, CBd, BPDd, FBs, DMd, CMa, APs, IWs, IWa, F9 (although when i play Calvert-Lewin I change to a PFa)

I do not have any specific PIs.

I would caveat this with the fact I am Man City in my third season and i could basically hand pick the best players for each role. (Mbappe at AML IWa is a joke!)

But with the underlap instructions and Focus play down the wings, i find the CMa is the absolute key to the whole attacking phase of play.

In my 2 full seasons I have won the domestic double (league cup first season and FA Cup 2nd season) but fell just short in CL semi finals (I hate Liverpool! but dont we all!)

I think once I have won the CL I might try and attempt this with another team.

10 hours ago, mafie_99 said:

Apologies i am not at my computer so just sending it by typing...

Mentality = Positive
TIs

• In possession focus play down the left and right with underlap left and right, Play out of defence, low crosses
  • Nothing for in transition
  • Higher DL and LOE and More Often Pressing
  • OIs I copied BTNs instructons of showing full backs onto opposite foot (DR to left foot etc.) and then DM, MC to tackling hard.

Roles players going Right to Left

SKs, FBa, CBd, BPDd, FBs, DMd, CMa, APs, IWs, IWa, F9 (although when i play Calvert-Lewin I change to a PFa)

I do not have any specific PIs.

I would caveat this with the fact I am Man City in my third season and i could basically hand pick the best players for each role. (Mbappe at AML IWa is a joke!)

But with the underlap instructions and Focus play down the wings, i find the CMa is the absolute key to the whole attacking phase of play.

In my 2 full seasons I have won the domestic double (league cup first season and FA Cup 2nd season) but fell just short in CL semi finals (I hate Liverpool! but dont we all!)

I think once I have won the CL I might try and attempt this with another team.

How many goals does your F9 score?

3 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

How many goals does your F9 score?

I had Foden there first 18 months and he was quite disappointing, probably about 8 goals he got first season. I signed Musiala and he got about 15 in 2nd season and I’m into March 3rd season and he’s about the same. Had an injury issue recently and had to play Calvert Lewin and made him a PFa and he’s been incredible recently. 12 goals in 5 starts!

doesn’t seem to affect the CMa much either which is interesting and good for thought

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2022 at 00:25, BadAss88 said:

I'm going for this:

F9-s
IF-a ------------------ W-s
MEZ-s - CM-a
DM-d
FB-a - CD-d - CD-d - FB-a
SK-d

Really liking the distribution of this, though maybe thinking that a WB-s would offer better balance of the left hand side?

I've been very much enjoying the CM (A) this year in a lower tempo tactic. It lines up as:

------------------- CF (S)

IF (S) --------------------------------- IW (A)

----------- BBM (S) --- CM (A)

------------------- DM (D)

FB (S) --- BPD (D) --- BPD (D) --- IWB (S)

------------------- SK (S)

The idea is to have the FB, BBM, IF and CF create an overload to draw the opposition to that side, the play is then spread to the IW to attack the isolated FB. They either hit the byline and cut the ball back or cut inside and whip a cross for the CM (A) to steal in unnoticed and score. The IWB helps to cover against a counter attack into the space the CM (A) vacates when he surges forwards.

Not seen it mentioned yet but I'm using a 4132 narrow formation. 

DLP with a midfield 3 of BBM, CM(A) and Mez(s). Strikers are PF and AF. 

The CM is excellent and often breaking through between both the strikers who are running the channels. He finished as my 3rd top scorer and comfortably hit double figures for both goals & assists. Also won young player of the year and had an average rating of 7.78 

Used the following to win League 1 with Derby after being approached by them in November:

image.png.1d955eea69ddab21842979513ef8b250.png

CM-A is incredible dangerous, lots of highlights of BBM or DLP pinging a through ball after the DLF has drawn a defender away.

Feel the use of a winger is important here as any other role may impede the CM-A's runs. 

FB asked to sit narrow, but if I had the players I'd want an IWB for the reason Chevie mentioned above.

Edited by Bellyfish

On 27/07/2022 at 11:46, Bellyfish said:

Used the following to win League 1 with Derby after being approached by them in November:

CM-A is incredible dangerous, lots of highlights of BBM or DLP pinging a through ball after the DLF has drawn a defender away.

Feel the use of a winger is important here as any other role may impede the CM-A's runs. 

FB asked to sit narrow, but if I had the players I'd want an IWB for the reason Chevie mentioned above.

Looks like a very balanced setup - what kind of TIs and mentality did you pair it up with? I could see it work well both as a direct system and as a possession system

On 28/07/2022 at 20:39, Christopher S said:

Looks like a very balanced setup - what kind of TIs and mentality did you pair it up with? I could see it work well both as a direct system and as a possession system

Currently using Balanced Mentality with short passing, PooD, counter-press, high def line, much more often press, offside trap and tight marking. Sometimes turn on overlap left and underlap right to encourage those runs.

You're right about it being applicable to a direct system. At Notts Co I used a similar role setup with direct passing, PooD, counter, low def line and more often press. Again with a balanced mentality.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2022 at 06:14, karanhsingh said:

Not seen it mentioned yet but I'm using a 4132 narrow formation. 

DLP with a midfield 3 of BBM, CM(A) and Mez(s). Strikers are PF and AF. 

The CM is excellent and often breaking through between both the strikers who are running the channels. He finished as my 3rd top scorer and comfortably hit double figures for both goals & assists. Also won young player of the year and had an average rating of 7.78 

What's the rest of your setup? I was thinking of the following:

AF-a - DLF-a
MEZ-s - CM-a - BBM-s
DLP-d
FB-a - CD-d - CD-d - FB-a
SK-d

On 11/08/2022 at 17:24, Christopher S said:

Sounds promising! What kind of mentality and instructions have you found work well? I've been struggling with narrow formations this year

Not much tbh. Positive mentality. Higher tempo, play out of defense. Counter, distribute short. Higher LOE, more pressing, etc. Standard stuff. 

Also added stay wider on the forwards. And player instructions like dribble more, through balls etc. are down to individual player strengths. I also think training the right traits plays an important role in a formation such as this.

On 12/08/2022 at 16:19, karanhsingh said:

Not much tbh. Positive mentality. Higher tempo, play out of defense. Counter, distribute short. Higher LOE, more pressing, etc. Standard stuff. 

Also added stay wider on the forwards. And player instructions like dribble more, through balls etc. are down to individual player strengths. I also think training the right traits plays an important role in a formation such as this.

Yeah, I must admit I probably don't pay enough attention to the combination of traits and roles and how they interact, and I can see where you're coming from! Thanks for the input! 

I've had some really positive movement and results with this tactic. I overload the left to free up room for my CM (A) to cause trouble and WM (A) who has instructions to stay wider and has a stronger left foot. 

My CM (A) has got 16 goals and 10 assists in 36 games and my WM (A) has got 17 goals and 8 assists in 39 games.

Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 2.28.38 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...

The Man Utd goal for 3-1 against Arsenal reminded me a lot of this thread :D Eriksen left unmarked in his own half when Fabio Viera went to press Ronaldo and Xhaka following, with the Arsenal CBs split, leaving him wide open for a through ball with a direct run at goal to layoff the assist for Rashford.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2022 at 02:46, Bellyfish said:

I used a very similar setup to gain promotion from the Danish 3rd tier, but used a F9 instead of a DLF and a DM-D or A-D instead of a DLP. Positive mentality, PooD, counter press, press more often. My CM-A won player of the season!

This season I've been using a Mez-A and IW-S on the right side, a BWM-D at dm and a PF-S at striker with a Balanced mentality, counter, lower DL and LOE. Really like the versatility of the 433 DM and how effective the CM-A/Mez-A is by making those deep runs.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I've definitely drawn inspiration for my current save.

This is the tactic i'm using rn. My poacher has been scoring like 1 goal per match, but the CM always racks like 10-15 goals a season, so it's quite good to have someone else helping the poacher.

Cheers,
Bitner

image.png.f8f88f1c4f47305ffd7f76b9d5e3c89c.png

I was feeling lucky and tried something new: A CMa in a 4231.

fm.png.6dabe3d489ff48280ed7abc2c03cfa04.png

After one season with a lower midclass team I can say that I love this role, its impact, and general performance. It had similar absolute stats to the attacking players further up the pitch (19 goals, 11 assists) and did a surprising amount of defensive work on top. Plus, it is a veritable multi-threat. Pressure from deep, offensive runs, late arrivals, deep runs into the box, natural one-two movements, horizontal short passes in the box, killer balls into the box. It does it all, making it hard to completely shut these players down. And if they are somehow taken out, the four guys further forwards usually pick up the slack :)

Running this ATM:

image.png.fe04c03b48ca893d868b41a52783e544.png

Picket has great free kicks, which helped him Grow. Reid has 1 trait - Gets forward whenever possible. He's also Provided some nice assists for the AF as well at the end of those runs

Love the Left IF-S picking the ball up playing into the CM-A running Open, into the box on the counter. Those runs from deep are deadly.

Edited by plcarlos