What League is the Most Fun to Play?

However you define "fun", what is the league you recommend as the most fun, exciting, and engaging?

(Of course, you may say it depends on the club you pick to manage, but anyways... Overall, what league(s) do you suggest as great entertainment or exciting challenge?...)

(Please be nice). :)

Thanks

Edited by phd_angel

I like to play in Danske Bank Premiership because you can also compete in 6 different cups every season (including Euro cup). 

Id say any nation where you can join play in the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup is worth a try. (need to have Scotland loaded since they arrange the cup i think).

Biased but I would say Sweden. Not too many games, not too advanced squad rules and not more money than you know how to spend. Also real proper clubs. Not Red Bull, not Dubai or oligarchs if that mean anything while playing.

6 hours ago, Melroseby said:

Love playing in Germany, starting in the lower leagues

This is interesting. I always thought about coaching in Germany lower leagues. How is it any different than other lower leagues in major nations? Would you please tell us why? Cheers.

On 18/08/2021 at 12:21, Brother Ben said:

Brazil is also great if you're in a competitive state league, quite cool fighting it out on two fronts

I’ve been having a lot of fun in South America recently.

Great talent and the money isn’t crazy in the transfer market so you can recruit well, it’s been really refreshing compared to Europe.

Brazil is a lot of fun as is Columbia.

8 hours ago, Melroseby said:

Love playing in Germany, starting in the lower leagues

I’m a big fan of German lower league, especially if you hook up an extension pack and try and work your way up. Done that with Gutersloh the past two FMs with great enjoyment.

The top tier league I enjoy the most I think is Argentina. 

From European top leagues, I guess Germany feels the best experience, might be the 18 team thing and having to dethrone Bayern. For FM22 I'm definitely getting a 2nd division team, by far the most interesting 2nd tier in world football this year! 

Then it's England and Italy as both are rather open in the game. 

From European leagues in general, maybe the Dutch? I also liked managing in Denmark, Poland and especially Russia. 

It depends on how a save will pan out, every league can be fun.

Germany is good for easy progression: unlimited loans, plenty of money, and shortish seasons with straightforward promotion routes whilst being satisfying because you meet big name teams on the way and sign some really good players. 

Would have really enjoyed the Peruvian league if it wasn't (FM19) so badly bugged. Interesting mix of clubs and tactics, multiple ways to win a trophy, and the level made you big underdogs in most games in the (still very winnable) Libertadores which is much more fun than the moneybags Champions League.

I've really enjoyed a ten year save with Braga. I'm not very good, though I have found myself sticking to a few rules. I have now managed to win 2 league titles and get to the later stages of the CL. You can raid South America when managing in Portugal and I've enjoyed building the youth system whilst also signing some older players coming toward the end of their careers that lifted me that extra notch though there was a flop or two along the way.

Benfica and Porto were far to good at the start but we can compete now too and our ground is being expanded which has enticed me to play a bit further.  I'd definitely start at the bottom of the pyramid in Portugal too. 

Other than that I have had a really fun game in Wales in FM14 which I played until last year but never managed to dislodge TNS. I would like to try again. 

I'm really enjoying Brazil at the moment. It's probably the most competitive league in the world, it's a tough one to win! There's usually a lot of young talent in the league that will go on to become world class players too. The state leagues are a nice addition and make an interesting start to each year. Plus I've fallen in love with the Copa Libertadores!

I think the most fun league is any of the smaller European ones.  Cop-out answer, I guess, but I think maybe the most fun competition is the Euro Cup (Europa League).  It's kind of interesting to dominate a smaller European league and have the focus of your season come down to a knockout competition against tough opposition. 

I really enjoy Germany - there tends to be a lot of fluctuation in where teams end up in the mid and lower Bundesliga, as well as in the 2. Bundesliga and below. Also not having work permit issues is nice.

On 30/08/2021 at 08:38, Yuko said:

The top tier league I enjoy the most I think is Argentina. 

From European top leagues, I guess Germany feels the best experience, might be the 18 team thing and having to dethrone Bayern. For FM22 I'm definitely getting a 2nd division team, by far the most interesting 2nd tier in world football this year! 

Then it's England and Italy as both are rather open in the game. 

From European leagues in general, maybe the Dutch? I also liked managing in Denmark, Poland and especially Russia. 

It depends on how a save will pan out, every league can be fun.

Argentina is bonkers in FM this year, the second division league structure changes every year for the first 5 years or so. Good fun though

23 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Would have really enjoyed the Peruvian league if it wasn't (FM19) so badly bugged. Interesting mix of clubs and tactics, multiple ways to win a trophy, and the level made you big underdogs in most games in the (still very winnable) Libertadores which is much more fun than the moneybags Champions League.

What made Peru so much fun?
I’ve been playing through South America for the first time and done Argentina, Brazil and Chile so far and thought I wouldn’t bother with Peru now as I’ve got all my badges and won Sudamerica so thought Peru might be a step back but if you recommend venturing back to it I might give it a go.

Edited by metallimuse
Edit to say also managed in Columbia currently and that’s fun with two league titles each year.

8 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

I’ve been playing through South America for the first time and done Argentina, Brazil and Chile so far and thought I wouldn’t bother with Peru now as I’ve got all my badges and won Sudamerica so thought Peru might be a step back but if you recommend venturing back to it I might give it a go.

Uruguay was fun in FM20 when I played there. 2 leagues and a cup between them that also contributes to the final league standings. It confused me a little at first but once I worked it out I had fun. Nacional are pretty dominant as well so you get to take them down (or dominate with them)

14 minutes ago, Britrock said:

Argentina is bonkers in FM this year, the second division league structure changes every year for the first 5 years or so. Good fun though

Exactly what makes it fun :D

Brazil is also a standard choice. Very hard competition but after a couple of seasons the state championship becomes tiring if it doesn't have more than 3 solid sides. 

22 hours ago, metallimuse said:

Peru at the time the opening and closing stage tournaments but also a summer tournament where you played half the teams in the league (randomly selected) which came with its own trophy (instead of a cup). Think the format's changed again since though.

Also just an interesting mix of tactical styles from opponents, sizes of club, relatively low level but not rubbish players, well suited to youth development, and a football word that's pretty isolated from the rest of the world (generally it's Saudi clubs hunting your best players, not European ones).

Libertadores/Sudamericana is more of a challenge as a proper underdog too

Edited by enigmatic

On 01/09/2021 at 00:26, Yuko said:

Brazil is also a standard choice. Very hard competition but after a couple of seasons the state championship becomes tiring if it doesn't have more than 3 solid sides. 

That's why you've gotta catch 'em all!

Seriously though, Brazil is the country I'm most likely to change clubs in. Everywhere else I like to just build a team and stick with it, but Brazil I'm happy to regularly switch sides. The different state championships with different formats and teams is definitely a factor in that. Plus some are pretty difficult, I spent 4 years at Corinthians, won the Serie A and the Libertadores, but couldn't manage to beat Palmeiras/Santos to the Sao Paulo state title.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My long term save has become too slow so I've started a quick new save pending FM22 and have discovered Keuken Kampioen Divisie, the second tier in The Netherlands which seems interesting.

o Unless you are laying as a B Team there seems to be virtually no restrictions on the players at the club;

o there are 20 teams so you play 38 games;

o the top two teams are promoted to the Eredivisie but four of the teams in the division are U23 teams and are ineligible for promotion; and

o you are allowed 12 subs on the bench.

I'm thinking about starting here as well in my FM22 save.

Germany is fun, because you're pretty free considering squad registration. I also prefer smaller leagues with 34 or less games per season. What I like about Italy is the large bench in league games. You can react to every situation in the game and almost every player has the chance of getting game time as a substitute. In England and Italy it feels like almost every game is a game against a team with a big name. Even games against teams mid-table or below feature opponents like Newcastle, Everton, Fiorentina, Sampdoria or Hellas Verona. Almost every game feels special because of that, and that's why I enjoy managing in England and Italy the most.

Not a single league, but I created and loaded more international competitions and tournaments. In the league I play in, the regular season is a given and the cup isn't too hard to win either, so it all comes down to the CL. And if you don't win the CL, it was a lame season. Now, I have 5-7 extra titles to win and it makes it more fun and worthwhile to play through.

Edited by FM21_Scout

vor 5 Stunden schrieb nimbleshadow:

Vanarama North/South.
Later when you reach the Premier League and see all those 15+ Attributes, you wonder how do people even lose with those teams.

Playing since 2006 in these Leagues. Sutton and Telford. Telford is now always my starting adress - every year. 

Edited by Conardo

4 hours ago, Conardo said:

Playing since 2006 in these Leagues. Sutton and Telford. Telford is now always my starting adress - every year. 

Nice. I think I choose a different club every year, because I always choose the one with the lowest media expectations. Higher board and fan approval if I win the promotion in the first season. :lol: Especially if the club has no prior history of winning titles, makes you feel like you're the one building the history. But that's hard to find in England, since in the leagues' long history, everyone has won something. You become a club legend already by the time you reach Championship, or even League One.

In FM20 it was Blyth Spartans, because they had B-Team, which was crazy good for youth development that it almost felt like cheating in such low leagues. I think they don't have B-Team in FM21 anymore.

Also, I tend to choose a team with a cool unique name and colours (and existing rivals), so it becomes a good brand when I reach the CL. It's dumb, but it's kind of a role playing. And I try to avoid clubs from London like a plague, there's more than enough of those. :D

German Bundesliga is fun for me. Everyone wants to gengenpress you to death. :D So if you like to play possession football, it is challenging trying to play around their press and keep possession. This kind of challenge is fun for me. 

vor 19 Stunden schrieb nimbleshadow:

Nice. I think I choose a different club every year, because I always choose the one with the lowest media expectations. Higher board and fan approval if I win the promotion in the first season. :lol: Especially if the club has no prior history of winning titles, makes you feel like you're the one building the history. But that's hard to find in England, since in the leagues' long history, everyone has won something. You become a club legend already by the time you reach Championship, or even League One.

In FM20 it was Blyth Spartans, because they had B-Team, which was crazy good for youth development that it almost felt like cheating in such low leagues. I think they don't have B-Team in FM21 anymore.

Also, I tend to choose a team with a cool unique name and colours (and existing rivals), so it becomes a good brand when I reach the CL. It's dumb, but it's kind of a role playing. And I try to avoid clubs from London like a plague, there's more than enough of those. :D

My ever first Team was Hornchurch....

• phd_angel changed the title to What League is the Most Fun to Play?