Brazil vs Costa Rica, Friday, 1pm BST

PMLF

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Switched on to see Neymar diving and loved how VAR was used, quick and for an important decision just how it should be.

Pleased Brazil have won too, as nice as it sounds to have Argentina, Brazil, Germany, Italy & Netherlands either out early or not even qualified to me in comparison it would feel like the Europa League does compared to the Champions League when we reach the KO stage, the competition starts properly for me in the last 16 and I want to see the best players and teams there in all honesty.

3 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

I've actually got so bored of teams solidly defending and playacting their way through games that I don't mind Brazil winning that. Not that they're entirely innocent either.

Totally agree :thup:

The best thing about Brazil winning is that we won't have to hear Brazilian players and staff blaming the referee again for a bad result.

To be quite honest I always like Brazil, I don't mind trick pony kind of players, but this Brazil side is taking it a bit too far for me. For some reason I feel they have this huge misplaced arrogance over them and when things don't go their way everyone is to blame except for themselves. Good to see Neymar crying afterwards btw, those are real emotions I feel, just bottled up frustration fuelled by huge huge pressure. I hope they tune it down now a bit and show some self-reflection. The football they so far showed is utterly disappointing and they are lucky to get the three points today. 

1 minute ago, Cedrik said:

To be quite honest I always like Brazil, I don't mind trick pony kind of players, but this Brazil side is taking it a bit too far for me. For some reason I feel they have this huge misplaced arrogance over them and when things don't go their way everyone is to blame except for themselves. Good to see Neymar crying afterwards btw, those are real emotions I feel, just bottled up frustration fuelled by huge huge pressure. I hope they tune it down now a bit and show some self-reflection. The football they so far showed is utterly disappointing and they are lucky to get the three points today. 

Not likely. They'll still be the same.

2 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

Just now, Heartwork said:

Not likely. They'll still be the same.

Yes, if anything it's possible Brazil will feel refereeing is against the team as in two games they made decisions against Brazil (incorrectly in the first game, correctly in the second game).

4 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Yes, if anything it's possible Brazil will feel refereeing is against the team as in two games they made decisions against Brazil (incorrectly in the first game, correctly in the second game).

How do you feel about the chances of Brazil going far this tournament? And what are the expectations among the Brazilians? 

Just now, Cedrik said:

How do you feel about the chances of Brazil going far this tournament? And what are the expectations among the Brazilians? 

I think Brazil will reach the semis at most.

Many Brazilians are now skeptical about the team's chances, some think the win today was against a weak team which masks how bad Brazil are.

Disgusting game really, so much histrionics from both sides. The vitriol players like Neymar show the ref and their opponent needs to be stamped out of the game. Forever talking about respect campaigns but no progress. To the point where I really don't think I want my son (who is only 1 at the moment) to be encouraged to watch football.

The Costa Ricans were slightly worse, because not only were they faking injuries throughout the second half to waste time... they took every opportunity to cynically hack down any Brazil player who went on a dribble, More protection needed for players who run with the ball, then perhaps they wouldn't need to dive so much?

1 minute ago, decapitated said:

Brazil will have play a lot better against tougher teams to progress in the tournament.

Games against tougher opponents may suit Brazil better though, as Brazil can then focus more on counterattacking and less on breaking those tough small team defenses.

2 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Games against tougher opponents may suit Brazil better though, as Brazil can then focus more on counterattacking and less on breaking those tough small team defenses.

They did unlock the defence plenty of times though. To me it seemed that there was a touch of complacency in the Brazil team. Like scoring a beautiful goal was worth more than just scoring. Times in the box Neymar just wanted to cut back, having already beaten his man and opened space for a shot, so he could curl it to the far post and look better. And some little flicks to one another inside the box. I like that kind of football, especially when Brazil are at it, but surely you just get 1 or 2 up first and secure qualification.

3 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

k the defence plenty of times though. To me it seemed that there was a touch of complacency in the Brazil team. Like scoring a beautiful goal was worth more than just scoring

This was mainly Neymar, but Brazil need to be more efficient.

4 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Half saying this to troll @PMLF but surely Firmino needs to start next time? Gabriel Jesus has been woeful.

I don't think he deserves, he was pretty poor today too, 15 mins invisible, an awful finish in the end. He did help Coutinho score but that was just one good moment in a pretty average performance overall.

1 minute ago, PMLF said:

I don't think he deserves, he was pretty poor today too, 15 mins invisible, an awful finish in the end. He did help Coutinho score but that was just one good moment in a pretty average performance overall.

I don't understand how Firmino isn't a better foil for Neymar and Coutinho personally...without seeing previous Brazil friendlies etc.

Gabriel Jesus is a poacher*, if you play Firmino you get the connection he has with Coutinho and he lets Neymar drift inside more.

*yes Pep prefers him over Agüero but it's because of his pressing not his build up play, before that tired argument gets trotted out.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

I don't understand how Firmino isn't a better foil for Neymar and Coutinho personally...without seeing previous Brazil friendlies etc.

Gabriel Jesus is a poacher*, if you play Firmino you get the connection he has with Coutinho and he lets Neymar drift inside more.

*yes Pep prefers him over Agüero but it's because of his pressing not his build up play, before that tired argument gets trotted out.

We already have Neymar, Coutinho and Willian (despite his awful matches so far), I think what we need is exactly a poacher. 

Gabriel Jesus hasn't done great so far, but I think he is still our best option for this role. And his pressing is good, like you said, which is useful too.

26 minutes ago, PMLF said:

We already have Neymar, Coutinho and Willian (despite his awful matches so far), I think what we need is exactly a poacher. 

Gabriel Jesus hasn't done great so far, but I think he is still our best option for this role. And his pressing is good, like you said, which is useful too.

I think Neymar and Coutinho could get into the box more without Gabriel Jesus. Also I’d play Douglas Costa over Willian now, and Firmino is unreal at pressing so not like you’d miss out on that.

As I said though I haven’t seen much of Brazil under Tite before this World Cup, so not saying you’re wrong, just in theory I think Firmino looks better.

7 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I think Neymar and Coutinho could get into the box more without Gabriel Jesus. Also I’d play Douglas Costa over Willian now, and Firmino is unreal at pressing so not like you’d miss out on that.

As I said though I haven’t seen much of Brazil under Tite before this World Cup, so not saying you’re wrong, just in theory I think Firmino looks better.

Gabriel Jesus has done great under Tite at least until this WC, he was Brazil's top scorer in the Qualifiers with 7 goals.

I am sure Firmino will keep having chances anyway.

Gawd, Neymar is so freaking unlikeable, I would have loved a Costa Rica draw.

If Serbia don't crumble from the pressure that could be an interesting game, I expect some top notch rolling around from Neymar as Serbia pretty big units!

I see, even with VAR reviews, they're not bothering booking clear cheating like Neymar on that penalty then.

How manufactured were his freaking tears after the game, ffs!

"Get those cameras over here" - if he's not playing up for the cameras then maybe they should get him talking to someone if his emotions are so on the edge over a late win!

Archived