Sweden V South Korea 1300 BST ITV

decapitated

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will always be people moaning about VAR.

'Why didn't they use VAR on this one or that one' - ultimately, it's caught some pens that were missed in real time. Any decision that they didn't review then nothing changed, it wasn't given anyway, it's not being used for everything and I am sure it'll get tweaked along the way.

They'll be some stuff missed or 'should have gone to VAR' and people will still moan about the ref, instead of he missed it, it'll be 'he reviewed it on VAR and still got it wrong' and so on. Players moaning to the ref will be replaced by players pressuring the ref to look at VAR instead.

Just now, ArsenalFan7 said:

Friend who dislikes VAR was screaming for it there, funny how the anti lot pick and choose :D 

I've always been against video assistance, but I think VAR has done a ok job so far

Just now, Astafjevs said:

Can you argue against any of them? Most have been the correct decision.

Of course not. The mental part is more to do with how frequently defenders are giving them away.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, grff said:

7 in 12 games. Mental.

3 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Can you argue against any of them? Most have been the correct decision.

Yeah the majority seem to have been, but given that the stats for penalties per game in top European leagues is around 0.25/0.3 per game, from a relatively small sample size we're almost at 0.6. 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Constantine said:

Pavon one, if i remember correctly, wasn't a penalty. There was a contact but guy fell down way too theatrical. 

Looked stonewall to me to be honest. 

1 minute ago, decapitated said:

The stuff about Son having to return from the UK to South Korea to do his 2 year military service soon was interesting and potentially worrying for Spurs.

I'm sure they will come to some financial understanding.

Just now, SteveUK said:

I hope so, but I wouldn't be susprised if the South Korean government was unbending. I've managed in the South Korean leagues on FM, and on there foreign based players don't get called up. Domestic based players get called up either the army or police side which are usually in the 2nd division. I once had both my main and reserve keeper called up for a 2 year stretch which was a fun transfer window. In FM, you tend to get players losing their way after a 2 year stint in the conscription sides especially at an international level but i don't know if thats the case in real life. You do get a contract extension for the period they are called up though.

Just now, decapitated said:

The stuff about Son having to return from the UK to South Korea to do his 2 year military service soon was interesting and potentially worrying for Spurs.

Surely they' find some solution for this. Afterall he's much more valuable as a player for the national team, then as a soldier :D 

Just now, Orzelek said:

Surely they' find some solution for this. Afterall he's much more valuable as a player for the national team, then as a soldier :D 

True. Chelsea had a Israeli youth product 10-15 years ago (striker, can't remember his name) who did his military service working in the Israeli embassy.

4 minutes ago, decapitated said:

True. Chelsea had a Israeli youth product 10-15 years ago (striker, can't remember his name) who did his military service working in the Israeli embassy.

Ben Sahar? Apparently that amendment didn't pass and he had to do IDF duty whenever he was in Israel.

12 minutes ago, SteveUK said:

I've just had a quick read (as this game is dull) and discovered that the members of the 2012 Olympic bronze medal team as well as the 2002 World Cup SF team all got exemptions from military service due to their contribution to the nation's football. Swansea Ki-Sung-Yueng was only required to do 4 weeks basic training due to his bronze medal.

I'm not sure how many high-profile Korean footballers without exemption have been forced to move back from Europe to serve the in military though.

Morocco vs Iran was pretty bad, but I think that's a new low point for the tournament. Both teams were very scrappy and low on quality, but the referee was also inconsistent and whistle-happy, which made for rather dire viewing.

Sweden did deserve the win, mind. Cho in the Korean goal was my MOTM.

3 minutes ago, grff said:

I've just had a quick read (as this game is dull) and discovered that the members of the 2012 Olympic bronze medal team as well as the 2002 World Cup SF team all got exemptions from military service due to their contribution to the nation's football. Swansea Ki-Sung-Yueng was only required to do 4 weeks basic training due to his bronze medal.

I'm not sure how many high-profile Korean footballers without exemption have been forced to move back from Europe to serve the in military though.

Well this is what happened with Chu Young Park who was once at Arsenal.

2012 London Olympics

In October 2011, Park announced that in two years time he had to leave Arsenal to do military service for his country, which may have delayed his football career.[47] Then the following year in March, South Korea's Military Manpower Administration announced that Park could delayed his military service until 2022 because of his residency in Europe.[48] Park's decision to delay his military service was controversial and caused public criticism. This lead an apology from Park, though this allowed him to participate in the London Olympic Games.[49]

Park was selected as an over-aged player by the South Korea under-23 manager Hong Myung-bo for the London 2012 Olympic Games. Park scored the opening goal in the second group stage match against Switzerland. In the bronze Medal match against Japan, Park Chu-young scored the first goal in a 2–0 victory against their rivals.

His best bet is the Asian Games if he's called up as an overage player (something he might try to push for, and Tottenham will likely allow, as South Korea are always heavy favourites and it should get him out of military service).

4 minutes ago, SteveUK said:

Well this is what happened with Chu Young Park who was once at Arsenal.

2012 London Olympics

In October 2011, Park announced that in two years time he had to leave Arsenal to do military service for his country, which may have delayed his football career.[47] Then the following year in March, South Korea's Military Manpower Administration announced that Park could delayed his military service until 2022 because of his residency in Europe.[48] Park's decision to delay his military service was controversial and caused public criticism. This lead an apology from Park, though this allowed him to participate in the London Olympic Games.[49]

Park was selected as an over-aged player by the South Korea under-23 manager Hong Myung-bo for the London 2012 Olympic Games. Park scored the opening goal in the second group stage match against Switzerland. In the bronze Medal match against Japan, Park Chu-young scored the first goal in a 2–0 victory against their rivals.

Park was made exempt due to the achievement of the bronze olympic medal. Apparantly, Son can avoid military service if South Korea reach the WC semis, win the Asia Cup or win the Asian Games (current holders). No pressure.

9 minutes ago, grff said:

Park was made exempt due to the achievement of the bronze olympic medal. Apparantly, Son can avoid military service if South Korea reach the WC semis, win the Asia Cup or win the Asian Games (current holders). No pressure.

As long as he's named as an overage player in the Asian Games side anyway. As I said, Spurs will probably allow it - a couple of weeks gone for the Asian Games is better than 2 year doing military service.

Archived