After playing the demo, will you buy it?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst version yet..... far too many bugs. you have to wonder if this ever got tested the way it should have. The injuries are just plain crazy for a start. I do love the new media interaction, but there are still loads of things that havnt been updated, for example interacting with your players on match days. Still the same limited options we have always had; "for the fans" etc. Is this worth the money, or should i update 08?

Not too impressed tbh. Very undecided as to weather i should buy it or not.

Before playing demo I was 100% certain but this really could be the worst FM ever.

Your closing comment about the game possibly being the worst FM ever is unfair and not serious at all.

It does have some issues in the demo. Issues that makes it hard to play and enjoy the game.

They always have problems like this at launch it seems, but in all fairness, they always manage to patch it up and when they do, the game ends up blowing me away.

It is the only game I preorder/buy without having tried it first. And I have full confidence in SI as they've shown year after year that they refuse to let anyone down and keep patching till they get it right.

Do remember that a game like FM is an extremely complicated piece of software. It would be impossible to create such a thing without errors here and there.

I think its P*** Poor to be honest its not the revolution we were hyped up to. It has crashed with the same array out of bounds error when offering a contract that FM08 had(you have thought they may have checked that)

The fact that all technical issues are directed away from the GD and the game coming out in Nov says to me they knew they had big problems and put it off as long as they could,

and to answer your question for the first time ever I think I am going to cancel my Pre-Order, normally I play the Demo and all the great new features capture me so I have to have it, not this time.

FM has lost its MOJO big time !

Yes . Because i want to manage Newcastle , so far in the demo i have managed Farslay (after starting unemployed) and played 1 game and lost 0-3 at home to Accrington . Now i am playing as Luton (challenge) with the aim of getting them out of the relegation zone by the end of the December . After that i think i will uninstall the demo and wait for FM09 official release , as i just want to use the demo to get used to the new features.

Im Newcastle now, wont give to much away but i have no hair left lol.

I don't like that the sliders have gone.

How come the injury bug comes into the game every year, yet the testers miss it.

I don't like the fact it takes around 1 minute per game for the highlights to load.

It runs slower than FM08 when I have 24 leagues running, big concern.

I want to watch the match split screen and when I get a highlight go to TV view I can't even do that without doing it myself. They wanted to make it more user friendly. They have failed.

But I will still buy the game.

My thoughts exactly.

I originally questioned the OP with why he thought it was the worst FM ever, but that was before my download had completed. Since playing it, I'm in his camp. And quite unbelievably so, I never thought I'd not be buying this year's FM after looking forward to it for so long. Buying FM is something I've done every year since 2000, and without a thought, knowing (or at least thinking) it would be just as good, if not better, than the last incarnation.

I'm actually glad I played the demo, because if I'd received that in the post on the 14th, I would've been quite angry. Due to the current financial situation, it's getting harder for people to afford treats, and if I'd paid what would've been £25 on FM09, I would've felt cheated.

Without a doubt.....No......Not a chance.....Will never buy this edition of FM....How can SI have broken it?

I have to agree....was not looking forward to the 3d pitch, thought that was just pandering to the masses, a purely cosmetic addition that adds nothing to the overall gameplay imo. Everything seems slower, I've played CM/FM since its debut in CM.......this is the first time i will not be buying the new version. And with again IMO FM '08 being a very buggy game, it'll be back to FM '07 for me.

I think we need some major TV sleuths in on this to find out how SI managed to break FM...and with Konami breaking PES.....that leaves FIFA...and being a PES/FM fanboy...that makes me very sad...very sad indead....

Still, I bet that the demo is based on pre-gold version code. Some of the issues reported are bound to be fixed in the final release.

As to the original question, yes, I will certainly buy.

This is the final release apart from being restricted to 6 months and a couple of other minor things. Any bugs in the demo are in the final release.

I won't be buying it until there's a patch. I've had at least one injury in every match so far, all of them have been for a month or more, and the match engine is so ridiculously jerky that I hate watching it. The loading times are great, except for when the match itself comes around, which makes it even more frustrating.

Other than that, the game looks excellent, but I think I'll stick with FM07 a while longer, and perhaps skip FM09 altogether unless I hear the patch has solved the injury problem.

ive liked every demo so far in the football manager series but my god this is poor.

i like the press confrence but ill get bored of that and find it annoying after a while,and the green thing next to the players is fu8cking pointless tbh. I do like the match engine idea but theres no fluidity like there was to previous FM versions in 2D,it just looks rushed and just put together at the last minute usually it takes me 5 minutes to get up to date with the new features in new versions , but i was there totally lost the game makes no sense, the transfer system is the worst yet stats dont seem to matter anymore danny of zenit has terrible stats yet is worth 24 million WTF???,it seems what you had was one of the best games ever and now youve just totally wrecked thank god ive still got 08 and shall enjoy playing that until future versions are fixed.

i may seem picky but its little things like this that made FM08 and previous versions the best game around its not no more, its not that they havent improved theyve just took a step back IMHO.

i just cancelled my pre-order,as demo didnt work for me as i dont have "minimum syetem requirement" wich makes me gutted, i wont improve my pc all together for 3D match engine,and suprised to hear that the skin is still the same as fm08 wich skin was awafull in my opinion,i used to prefer fm on fifa manafer but now there is no difference (of course different options and tyhings but same basics) so i wont get this,

even tho i strongly suggest SI to make 2 installations for fm09:

1- for 3D+2D match engine (having both options)

2-only for 2d match engine without 3d match engine

this way people who dont have system requiremnts for fm09 like me will be able to play the game with the second installation,if SI does that i will pre-order fm09 again as if not then i'll stick with fm07(hated fm08) wich in my opinion was the best in fm series

JK

Luckily I make my own mind up on the evidence I see, reading through some of the hysterical drivel here could make a gamer suicidal before he even boots the game up.

I've only managed a couple of hours so couldn't possibly make an informed judgement yet, it puzzles me how some of these people can only hours after release of the demo.

Sadly my lapdog is below spec, it's nearly 4 years old so that's not grounds for complaint.

Installed and ran on my desktop with no issues at all.

One thing I liked straight away was the scale and perspective 3D gives you, I really started to notice off the ball movement and found myself watching far more of the peripheral player movement than I ever did in 2D.

The first iteration in 3D is better than I expected, anybody who thought it was going to be like watching live football on TV is in cloud cuckoo land.

One good example in my only match so far was an MC lobbing the keeper from 30 yards, the keeper back peddling and not making it was a fine example of what the 3D will achieve, very good for a starting point is my view.

The forum will be more chaotic than it's ever been this time round, a huge proportion of that generated by user end problems rather than any fault with the game.

That's the price of progress I'm afraid, and while I'm sad my faithful lapdog doean't hack it any more, I accept that that's my problem not the developers.

Will I buy it? emphatically yes.

I was deffinitely going to get up on 14th November walk down to the shops and run back to play the game...now i am completely undecided...i was originally furious how poor the demo is but after playing for a bit more i am less annoyed but it does seem only a few improved features and a match engine that in many ways is incomplete which is expensive for £30...i expect i will wait and see the feedback from people that have bought on the day and downloaded the patch...

p.s i am still unimpressed that somebody who isnt online will be buying an "unfinished" game....just seems wrong to me

No

A year after the last game and the changes are minimal to be honest.Yes we have 3D but im not interested in that.

The injuries situation is a total mess.The skin is poor AGAIN and the colours in things like player profile are so poor.You cant see the difference in the colours as the blue is pretty much all the same.

Its the little things that bug me as usually they are the most obvious and easiest to fix yet they ignore them

I'm currently downloading demo and have spend last 10 mins reading posts here. This is what seems to be common saying here;

-> 3D is not smooth! Not a suprise we already saw it in videos and it is just the first attempt from SI. If it does not affect actual ME as promised then no problem. From tactical approach 2D is good enough, we will all switch to 3D once it is stable and I believe it is not something SI can imoprove with patches but probably it will take another year or two.

-> Injuries: I'm sure some of you may have totally crazy injury cases but hey look at premiership; Chelsea has been without 5+ first team players for many weeks in a row. Arsenal now lost all their primary strikers at once.... As the game gets more physical injuries occur more often in football. Probably after many complains SI will drop the possibility of injuries for the first patch but in general it seems normal to me in pro football if about %10 of the team is contantly injured.

-> Transfers: Again in real life, many players are moving teams with overrated prices if the buyer is desperate to buy and the seller does not really want to get rid of player unless the price is too high. So I dont see it as a problem if you chase a player who is not even listed and his club asks for three times the expected value, options are pay it and shut up or look somewhere else.

I personally was not planning to buy it on 14th and probably may wait until mid december. Hopefully first patch will come before chiristmas holidays too.

nnoo, bleedin joke some of the bugs on itt, 3d vieew is aa biit jumppy and thhe douublee tyyping haass innfectedd me bbutt i donnt thinnk it showws much, my ssavves are beeautiful i wish i could gget innjured so mmany timess, (back to normal typing now it too hard to do it like it does in the game) get a cheap second one around about january, better state clearly what i want for christmas as i believe i could be very disappointed, to combat the injury bug thing there was a FM08 data base on the "Football Manager Portal" where injuries only last a day, although i couldn't get it to work i am sure the editors that will become available will be able to adjust that problem

:(

This is my first post about the demo so here it goes.

My first impressions tbh were that it still felt like i was playing fm08 gameplay wise.

TThee typeiing bugg is rreally annoyinng.

I had two serious injuries in the first freindly after rooney was injured in the first half, subbed him for berbatov. Second half he was injured. altogether i got 2 serious injuries and 1 knock, out for a week max.

In all after playing the demo it hasn't made me want to race out and buy it on release. i think i will leave for a few patches and see how people take to it then.

In the meantime i guess i'll buy fallout 3.

BTW,

PEACE!

Game is ****, you failed SI, badly.

I'd rather just play fm08 than spend the money on this useless piece of ****. 10 injuries for Man UTD leaves me with Manucho and Welbeck up front, Evans and O Shea in centre back and some Amos guy in goal, disgrace.

The press conferances are good however, i've taken my frustration on the game out in them.

Well, let me see.........

I am a hardcore fan and I have played the series since CM1 on the Amiga and have ordered FM09 the day it was announced. I have never downloaded the demo as I dont want to be put off due to the pre-release bugs/crashes etc that are expected, but as I have a new computer setup, I really wanted to give my new computer a test.

Intel Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz running at 9.6Ghz (8mb cache)

4 Gig ram

1 gig Nvidea GForce 9600

And with a 20 meg BB connection, I cant wait to play this online either!

Oh and sorry for bragging, but I just had to lol

You have fun with that Q6600 running at 9.6Ghz! i hope you're buying the PC for something a bit more taxing than FM! According to your calculations my Q6600 is running just shy of 15.6Ghz. lol

The game just doesn't "feel" right.

My biggest concern is that the apart from moving players to the correct teams, the database doesn't seem to have been updated very much at all.

I am very disapointed and for the first time since CM Italia on the Amiga I will not be purchasing this years game. Until much of what has been talked about is cleared up. It may be an easier decision for me as it was touch and go as to when I could get it anyway due to having some hard times money-wise.

No, mainly because of the continued dumbing down of the tactics side of things to account for the deficiencies of a poor match engine. The tactics side of this game is appalling, I have been saying this for a few versions but what is the point of a football management game when you cannot instruct your players to do what you want?

Perhaps everyone dissatisfied with fm should club together and try to develop an alternative game. After all, fifa manager and suchlike are not really viable alternatives and it would be interesting to find out what developing a game is like.

yea i will buy it thats for sure, but only after the first patch is released...

I think there are some good features which has been added and most honestly i think after the first patch the game will be very enjoyable.

Don't forget we got three last year before it resembled how most people wanted it out of the box and even then a lot of people weren't happy.

Another thing you have to remember is that as many people use these forums a huge number don't and a huge number also never update patches. The vast majority of people I know have never patched a copy of CM or FM. Of those most played FM08 for a month or so.

Don't forget we got three last year before it resembled how most people wanted it out of the box and even then a lot of people weren't happy.

Another thing you have to remember is that as many people use these forums a huge number don't and a huge number also never update patches. The vast majority of people I know have never patched a copy of CM or FM. Of those most played FM08 for a month or so.

Yea i understand what you are saying..

I know many people who have played FM games without any patches, and some dont notice bugs (apart from the most major ones)

But come on who does not have access to a internet connection in these times? maybe not at home but internet cafes? Schools, college, friends family so there is always oppotunities to download the patches..

Or like i have in the past downloaded and patched the games for my mates who have slow connections or dont have internet at home.

For the first time i'm going to wait to see the general consensus of the first patch to see if it solves the injury problem. I think it's the best release in years frankly. Even though there are things that are bad about it ie: the injury bug, it's still a much improved game.

So whilst the demo hasn't put me off the game, it has made me wait until after release day to form a good judgement.

*come the 14th I bet i'll have bought it :D*

No, mainly because of the continued dumbing down of the tactics side of things to account for the deficiencies of a poor match engine. The tactics side of this game is appalling, I have been saying this for a few versions but what is the point of a football management game when you cannot instruct your players to do what you want?

I agree to an extent, it is possible to tell your players what to do but the problem is it's like one big puzzle that SI don't want you to solve. I'd like to ask my winger to cut inside, the striker to drop off and make space for the attacking midfielder to burst through the center. Now I'm sure it's possible to do this with a combination of sliders but I doubt many people really have any idea how to.

The tactics system is designed to be difficult, no, impossible to master. There are so many variations that n oone will ever figure it out. The problem with this is that we are just guessing at most of the things we do.

So yes we need a new tactic system where we know hat each slider does and how it affects the others, where we can actually tell the team to play in the way we want them to. I don't think think will ever happen though.

Archived