After playing the demo, will you buy it?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I will.

The 3D engine is slow, jerky (and this on a computer that runs Oblivion on good settings) and only serves to expose some dreadful player AI.

Press conferences become quite tedious after only a few games, so goodness knows how annoying they will get in a career game.

Team talks are still astonishingly shallow and overpowered.

The transfer system is clearly broken.

The contract negotiations are far, far below the standard offered by most management games.

The assistant manager feedback offers nothing, and is often quite nonsensical.

I really cannot see any improvements over FM07.

I wont be, il be waiting till the patches sort out the glitches & the team stats are brought upto speed.

Someone has already posted in our teams ( swansea ) data issues, they wont be updating the many mistakes any time soon so il be waiting till the researcher can be arsed to pull his finger out & get things right, cause its currently not worth playing with the state of the Swansea squad.

Just for some background, ive owned every version of FM\old CM going back as far as CM1 on the amiga & even bought the spin offs of the old italian\french & belgian league versions...

Im quite disappointed if i be truthful..

I wasn't going to buy it on release day anyway - due to other commitments this month. Was considering getting it after my accountancy exams in December, but am now not looking at getting it till after the new year. The demo is shockingly bad, and if this is the out of the box version, then I feel sorry for the majority of consumers who will not have the knowledge regarding patches.

It's not CM5 bad, but it's certainly worse than CM4. Hopefully a patch will help sort out some of the fundamental problems with the game - the injury/stamina situation (that seems to raise it's ugly head every demo version), the transfer module seems to have made it easier to sell players, but not fixed the pointless repetitive offers for your players from other clubs (Chelsea and Real had bid £11m for Tevez and Vidic respectively, day after day). Also I need to hear and see what has happened to the regens this year (something we can't check in the demo) - if it's still getting similar results, then it will be a negative in my opinion.

Fundamentally there is a good game hidden away somewhere in FM09, however it seems like it may need major surgery to get it out in the open. I'm not fussed with graphics, but gameplay is the more essential element of the game.

Luckily I make my own mind up on the evidence I see, reading through some of the hysterical drivel here could make a gamer suicidal before he even boots the game up.

I've only managed a couple of hours so couldn't possibly make an informed judgement yet, it puzzles me how some of these people can only hours after release of the demo.

Sadly my lapdog is below spec, it's nearly 4 years old so that's not grounds for complaint.

Installed and ran on my desktop with no issues at all.

One thing I liked straight away was the scale and perspective 3D gives you, I really started to notice off the ball movement and found myself watching far more of the peripheral player movement than I ever did in 2D.

The first iteration in 3D is better than I expected, anybody who thought it was going to be like watching live football on TV is in cloud cuckoo land.

One good example in my only match so far was an MC lobbing the keeper from 30 yards, the keeper back peddling and not making it was a fine example of what the 3D will achieve, very good for a starting point is my view.

The forum will be more chaotic than it's ever been this time round, a huge proportion of that generated by user end problems rather than any fault with the game.

That's the price of progress I'm afraid, and while I'm sad my faithful lapdog doean't hack it any more, I accept that that's my problem not the developers.

Will I buy it? emphatically yes.

Agreed. I preordered on Steam so I'm locked in anyway. I must say, I enjoy it. Honestly, I never expected to be able to see what hair-do Bentley is sporting this week... but it allows me to put a visual element on a game that previously didn't exist. Good show.

This has got to be the......BEST FM I HAVE EVER PLAYED!! I don't believe people are not interested in buying it. It's so good, I would buy more than one copy. I dunno why. I just would. Thank you so much Miles Jacobson and everyone else in SI for your huge effort in making THE BEST FM EVER!! I'm definitely getting this. I have had no problems. Not with press conferences or with 3d. Put it this way. I have Vista on 512mb ram and the 3d runs very smoothly and does not stutter. My game hasn't crashed once and I'm lovin every bit of it. November the 14th here i come/

That doesn't sound believable, since Windows Vista can hardly run on a 512 MB RAM machine.

I haven't tried the demo, since I cannot be bothered to play anything other than the actual game I want to start. However, regardless of everything, I will be buying FM 2009. I would simply go mental if I would have to wait another year to start the hot seat game that my and my friend have waited two years to start now. If it turns out to be way worse the FM 2008, I guess I'll have to, but at least I will have supported SI by buying the game.

It's kind of scary to read all the comments here about how bad FM 2009 is. However, only two things so seem related to problems in the actual gameplay. Excess injuries, something which would be bound to be fixed, and lacking player intelligence in the match-engine, something which might only relate to the 3D view. And a couple of people have mentioned slower loading times for a few things that are not related to the 3D engine, but I just don't see how that is likely. The rest are about insignificant things: the 3D view not working about being terrible, that I don't see any reason to use anyway, and the game not running properly, where the many issues mentioned simply have to be fixed and therefore aren't really not a reason not to buy the game either.

Maybe it's naive of me to think that SI will fix all the important technical problems quickly, and for the people who are having a lot of trouble, I get why they don't want to buy the game if it won't be patched before this summer. If you are no a great FM enthusiast, you might as well just want for Football Manager 2010 rather than play FM 2009 a few months after having been shafted with a buggy gold-version demo. However, I find that there is a good chance that some of the bugs won't affect me, since I have a very new computer, and, as stated, I simply cannot wait for FM 2010. I sure hope the game doesn't crash a lot, since crashes and corrupted savegames have had me heartbroken and beaten before. That would really be my worst nightmare. And I don't believe that people will be able to really judge the game mechanics in such short time. I don't really give a damn about cosmetic features, but if SI have improved on the many important problems in the gameplay such as the match-engine, newgens, transfer/squad intelligence, I'll be very happy. Especially if they added Serie D :p ...

after seeing the demo having few plays I dont understand some coments I agree with Kriss.

However sorry si not buying not due to the game its the copy system put me off.

On the demo we have to take a broad step here folks.

Players DONT know your tactics if you use your own players will be out of position get confussed and generally player like non league until they gradually Gel. Maybe si might slight need to adgust it or injuries. But I like injuries many clubs get few knocks around pre-season but did not get say near christmas (end) se if the injuries still persisted at the rate it was doing.

I actually thought it was not bad not earth shattering drop jaw. There is enough new features in my opinion to move it beyond 2008 version. Such as the loans and the active transfer system which was definately much better. You should remember this would certainly increase processing with more activity. Crikey with hardly a click several bids were going in for my league 2 misfits.

I dont expect with all this activity it will be faster it will be slower. As for 3D has everybody thought how many versions it took SI to get 2D licked and how many craved for the text only. FM'ers dont like change but come around in time.

Guest Robert_Titi

Not sure yet tbh. There are still crashes when loading the 3D pitch. The match engine is okay with no real surprises. Every year we are looking for some great new features but for most of the versions it disappointed us. Hope the first patch will be released very soon and I will consider if I would buy it.

play 2D - problem fixed..

The 2D has taken a huge backward step, nowhere near as good as 07 or 08. They said they had been testing the new match engine on football manager live for the past 6 months or so but wouldn't it make more sense to stick with a match engine that has been tested for the past 24 months? In my opinion, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

I already bought it on Steam.

Here are the problems I've seen so far:

Someone forgot to add the texture to the stands in 3D. They're now only grey 3D models with missing textures... very amateurish looking.

Some widgets in TV view forget their position.

Split view is not remembered.

I once received the same question 3 times in a press conference. They thought I was unsure in my response (No comment), so they decided to give me the exact same question twice more. Odd.

Player names in 3D are too small - hard to read if moving.

Can't resize widgets. Hard to keep track of Assistent feedback widget because it jumps back up when there's an update, even if you're reading further down, and also because it's too small to fit enough info without scrolling.

Nope.

i boycott games with DRM and FM09 hasn't shown me anything that would make me change that.

yes, i've played the demo and it is just underwhelming.

No set piece design despite calls for it for since forever

i'll stick with FM08

As many people have pointed out, I too find it very depressing to hear all the bad things about FM 09. I haven't tried the demo out because I want to wait for the full game on the 14th. So far I have been like "damn, I can't wait!!!", but now it isn't like that anymore...

It is also depressing to hear that the game still is pretty slow, and that's one of my biggest issue with the game. I know this isn't CM 97-98, but I hope every year that SI can improve the slowness in the game. Also, what in the world is going on with the LOADS OF BUGS?! I have now heard of injuries and condition problems and spellingmistakes, etc??? The 3D engine is probably really akward, but to defend SI we have to remember that graphic stuff isn't their main issue, it (should be?) is more the programming stuff, thats how I see it. I know SI is trying their best, but I don't think all of this is Football Manager worthy..

To answer the topic, yes of course I will buy it. I am a FM freak and can't wait to try all the new features ...

As many people have pointed out, I too find it very depressing to hear all the bad things about FM 09. I haven't tried the demo out because I want to wait for the full game on the 14th. So far I have been like "damn, I can't wait!!!", but now it isn't like that anymore...

It is also depressing to hear that the game still is pretty slow, and that's one of my biggest issue with the game. I know this isn't CM 97-98, but I hope every year that SI can improve the slowness in the game. Also, what in the world is going on with the LOADS OF BUGS?! I have now heard of injuries and condition problems and spellingmistakes, etc??? The 3D engine is probably really akward, but to defend SI we have to remember that graphic stuff isn't their main issue, it (should be?) is more the programming stuff, thats how I see it. I know SI is trying their best, but I don't think all of this is Football Manager worthy..

To answer the topic, yes of course I will buy it. I am a FM freak and can't wait to try all the new features ...

I downloaded the game yesterday and cannot see what all the criticism is about.

I had no problems, apart from the typing, and the match engine run fine. The game will probably be sorted with it's minor glitches by next week. The press confrences looked good and I found the AM to be worthwhile.

In all, I am looking forward to the full game as it will be at least 50% better than the demo, these things usually are.

So for those who just like to moan or find fault, give it a chance, FM has never let people down yet and I don't see that changing, and NO, I do not work for them.

Can someone confirm that the 2D match-engine is actually worse, as crossy1686 claims? That would really be terrible, seeing that it wasn't good enough in FM 2008, although mostly due to lack of certain elements such as dribbling, pacey play, varying shot, creativity, tricks, etc. If the match-engine has been completely rewritten for 3D, I can see how it might actually be worse. SI have made it sound like they have been working a lot to improve the existing match-engine, which sounded really promising. If it's worse than FM 2008, this might be bad enough to keep me from starting my hot seat game this year, since I plan to play it forever ('till I'm sixty) and don't want a flawed/incomplete game, but rather one that it s good enough that I won't feel I have to switch to one of the future editions.

If I liked Football Manager less, the DRM people have been talking about might have been enough to keep me from buying the game, since I'm disguested by some of the measures and what exactly it means to the customer. However, I just like it too much, and the DRM won't make the game itself any worse, just the general experience. As long as you have a number where you can call in if you used all your five activations, I guess it isn't that terrible, with only a one-time activation required. Sucks if you cannot connect to the internet when you need to install it, but that just seems unlikely.

About the injuries, I can see that PaulC made the following comment on the forums:

Ok, as match injuries fall under my responsibility here is my take.

Yes, there are a few too many, but I wont be allowing the patch to go out with too few either as they are part and parcel of modern football as one can see from the real life injury tables.

A major thing for the user to remember is that tired players get injured easier. So pre-season is a real danger time.....treat those games as run-outs and replace players who are tired at half time etc.

What I intend to do for the patch is:

- Reduce the pre-season condition drop ( players coming back from summer at 75% etc ) in order to reduce pre-season injuries

- Make a higher proportion of match injuries of the lighter variety

Cheers,

Paul Collyer

So, it will be fixed, to the extent that SI wants to. If it is completely weighted with the amount of injuries in real life football, I think it's fine. However, judging from the comments here, it isn't. Paul only talks about making a minor tweak, but that might just be him not wanting the face the extent of the problem. I have to disagree a bit, since I'd say that I'd rather see too few injuries than too many when we talk about balance in the game. At least it sounds like we can expect to see this promptly fixed, since it only required some tweaking from SI.

For depth of the database, and effort from SI I will continue to support them by buying yet another FM game.

I have been buying these games since CM00/01, so not much will change, still the best soccer management sim around, nice interface too.

Cheers

and the match engine run fine.

You need to watch a match in full mode because the engine is not fine. Far from it. It's awfull. Players standing still, passing 50 yards past a player when they're standing only 5 yards away, throws that re taken and go straight out, no closing down, players running away from goal, I thought FML was supposed to make the ME better, so far it's terrible.

You need to watch a match in full mode because the engine is not fine. Far from it. It's awfull. Players standing still, passing 50 yards past a player when they're standing only 5 yards away, throws that re taken and go straight out, no closing down, players running away from goal, I thought FML was supposed to make the ME better, so far it's terrible.

I do watch the game in fullmode and I don't see the same things you are seeing. In fact in fullmode I tend to see more aggressive closing down, players running across the defensive lines, passes played between defenders and into space. A lot of this depends on how you have set up your tactics and the kind of settings you are using.

Simply not being able to recreate it yourself does not mean it can't be done, it just means you don't know how to.

Players are closing down, you just need to know how to set it up right.

I still think FM 09 has its issues but from ive played of it, its still a big improvement on fm 08 (8.02) at the end of the day its a demo i cant think of a game where the demo implements the full capacity of the full game. Think you guys need to be little bit more optimistic! lol :)

It hurts my heart to say it, but unless I see that they fix the injuries and people with 4GB of Ram having the game freezing in the news screen, with one league loaded...i'll wait.

Think I will kep a close eye on this forum - probably will wait for the Jan 09 patch.

The fact is, the hardcore fans will be the one who stayed up to download/play the demo, and the reviews so far have been almost unanimously negative. i dread to think what casual players are going to think of the demo tomorrow, this could be SI's biggest marketing mistake ever

I entirely aggree - and I pedict a LOT of buyers will watch and wait and probably either not buy or wait for Jan 09 patch. After all the excitement "SI best game ever" prediction - An absolute disaster!

I have had no problems with the game in my brief few matches, 3d match engine is great, although there are a few bugs. Game runs like a dream, especially 3d nice and smooth here on

Core2Duo @ 3.4ghz

2 Gig DDR 800Mhz

2x2900xt in crossfire

Definitely not going to buy it! So many bugs in the match engine although it has some potential(after a few patches)...

I'm waiting for FML and won't buy FM09 until it's properly fixed as at the very moment I'm totally "unimpressed" with it...so few new features as it actually looks more like a patch itself than a new game. I haven't really tried the new transfer system yet but the 3D is the only "new" feature in the game and as it's full of bugs I think I'll stick with FML

I agree that the hardcore FMers, like me, were the ones who counted down the demo date and spent all night downloading and playing and with the immediate patch it seems the people at SI are taking note of the issues.

My game started ok so I was not sure what all the fuss was but I am now mid September in the demo and during the last 5 games one or more of my players get injured. Minimun 1 month a time. I know the injury thing is flogged to death and we all know it but it affects everything. I have no strikers left and am playing with 16/17 year olds and guess what.... replacements I have lined up for loan or purchase fail their medical.....because they're injured too!

The reason I raise this again is the blog was mentioning SI staff doing 23 hours shifts making sure the game is spot on yet it took this forum 5 mins to realise there is a problem. Surely someone just sat down and played it before it was released? I pre ordered mine from Play.com ages ago and may cancel it. Still undecided. I knew it would be very similar to FM2008 but I will have to sacrifice my current season 2014 etc for a new game with extra grief.

All in all, I am disappointed that issues so obvious were overlooked and paying £30 for it is rewarding something unsatisfactory. With such a loyal following of addicted gamers you would hope they wouldn't try to pass off this version as complete.

2 questions I have for people on here if poss - Firstly, someone mentioned the editor to change player ratings. How is this done? Secondly, does anyone know why some replays on the 3D display the players as discs and other times they are figures? The 3D version with the discs (like roulette chips) is twice as good. Watching my players running on invisible treadmills is just silly.

Not sure, might do but its definatly poor so far. Only two things i have noticed so far thats new are: 3D view & questions at the start of a new job.

Also, but its was very sluggish, and theres no way im going to be able to play for long with it running like that. Having a decent system, i dont expect it to run poor. Maybe there was a reason ;)

From my impressions so far, after an hour or so of playing around with Man City (just for the oodles of cash), I won't buy FM09 on release day. I will hold off purchase until I've seen feedback from patches. At worst, this will mean 2009Q1.

Overall, I find the demo disappointingly unpolished, though I do see lots of potential. Why do I perceive it as unpolished? Several issues point at this being rushed, e.g. user interface (double characters, back on my mouse will sometimes "double" back, during a match it doesn't remember the screens I'm in when it goes to a highlight), the large amount of longer injuries and the way that players sometimes hold the ball for a long time without moving at all.

I can glance over the smaller issues though I can't understand how this has slipped through QA. I know, the test department has of course discovered a huge amount of defects which have been fixed, but the things that I've seen after one hour of play, I can't imagine that this hasn't been noticed. Smaller issues (press conference report always stating I was in a bad mood, however optimistic I was in my answers, the double typing, one of the 3D views, when in a split screen, just shows the area behind the goal when play moves to the end of the pitch) just looks sloppy and untested.

On a more important level, especially the amount of injuries baffles me, since that's a frequently returning issue with FM (I remember the excessive amount of groin strains in CM4). Goals in commentary before on screen is a bug that should have been noticed as well I think.

Concerning the 3D, I'm ambivalent. I dislike the strange texture of the pitch, I dislike almost all the camera angles, but I do like the way it shows the play. It gives me a fairly good impression of play, which is it's core function. My expectations were fairly low, so this may have helped. I couldn't find any zoom-function freehand camera or zoom option, while these should be fairly easy to do once you've got the 3D engine. I found the "2D" view superfluous, preferring 2D Classic. It will take a year or two before you can replace classic 2D with the 2D-in-3D-engine because of your user base (slow upgraders, emphasis on computing power and de-emphasizing graphics power).

I liked the tactics setup screens. Arrows being an input method for the Forward runs-slider I fortunately read about, or else I would've been confused. I don't agree with a backward arrow representing "forward runs rarely", since it intuits a backward motion. I think individual players should have a width instruction (do they?) which can be represented by sideway arrows too.

I like the assistent feedback during games. I'm not sure about the accuracy of these and it looks like it's a bit similar (it's my tactics? :) ). It does give me an impression what the AssMan thinks should change for a better game.

Transfer rumours and press conferences look good, though they may grow stale after half a season. I don't know yet, being just at the start of the season.

I can't judge about regens yet. Another reason to hold off purchase to know what this means for a long term game.

I have some faith in the inevitable patches. I'm not sure if the outcry for this release is worse than any other; all new releases seem to come with inflated expectations and letdowns. It's only after a month or two, when the dust has settled and a fairly stable patched version has been released, that the true quality shows (either positively or negatively). Though I've been looking forward to buying this one, I'll await that moment with some form of impatience.

SI are not idiots. They could fix most of the problems if they had time. They just could not afford losing the sales of the Christmas season or skip a year to make the game perfect. The problem is with those who are willing to pay full price every year to play basicaly a buggy expansion (you could hardly call each version of FM a new game) which is fixed after 2-3 major patches. Do sales falll??? No they increase. Businesswise that makes sense. And SI are a company. Why should they change a succesfull recipe?

I am very disappointed and a large proportion of others are too. I've done research for this game, I've spent countless hours on this forum trying to help out. I find it very disappointing that you would turn your back on your gamers, who were happy with the personality (2D its depth and immersion), and not the fake plastic tits (3D). Why turn a game with relatively low requirements, and well known for this into a game for those with the money, or who are lucky enough to own a killer PC? Was it really worth all this trouble, to go against the SI ethos, to draw in new shallower gamers?

I wish you all the best, you have been fantastic in the past, but now, I'm not so sure. I am sure it will sell well, and be successful. I'm sure you will rake in the cash. But I cant help feel you have ripped the heart out of SI, and changed direction in a way in which SI never intended, based on your biggest rival revealing its new plans.

yes, definately, the glitches are not a worry, i'm willing to live with them KNOWING they will be sorted out.... eventually ;-)

This is the point though, the out of box version of the last FM had a major problem with the regens being very poor, poor physical stats etc..

Iirc there were 2 patches on FM08 and the regens still didn't get fixed, so you don't actually know they will get sorted.

Thats my problem with this version and the reason i won't be buying it until i see people posting in here saying that the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 1000th patch has sorted the bugs and issues. What happens in the past affects peoples decisions in the future, and i'm sorry to say but Si has not instilled confidence with the way past versions were patched (ie. some of the problems that really ruined the game were never addressed, i'm talking regens here in particular cause i, like other people, want to play for longer than 2 or 3 seasons). So for this reason i feel i can't trust Si to have the game sorted with the first patch, and like i said in a previous thread, i can't afford to spend £30 if the game ain't going to be good enough.

Sure there are other games that have come out that were simply rubbish, but thats the point, anyone with a bit of intelligence is not going to buy the game before seeing some feedback. Needless to say, but the majority of feedback so far has been poor.

One last point, the fact that to sort some of the problems, the only help Si is giving is to use a smaller window or download a program etc shows what a shambles this is. You wouldn't pay a gardener only to find that he needs his brother to do the flowers and his cousin to do the pavement but it's down to you to get the brother and cousin to come and do the work. Thats whats happening here, we're gonna pay for a game to be told that the 3d will be smooth if we use a smaller window and that we need to download a patch, which is not so bad for us, we have internet and know about this site, but like someone said, there are millions of other people, but they don't know about this site, or don't have internet.

I'm pretty sure that under your statutory rights in the UK, if the game is bugged when you buy it you can have a full refund no questions asked. When you buy something from a shop your given a recept which is basically a contract between you and the shop that means anything you buy must work how it's supposed to, so unless Si release the game with a note saying it's full of bugs, we can get our money back.

People, vote with your feet, either don't buy it if your not happy with the demo, or buy the boxed version, and if it doesn't work properly BEFORE you patch it take it back for a refund. The only reason Si release this game with bugs is cause we all bought it in the past even though we knew about the bugs. If we all show Si we won't accept a second rate game, they'll stop releasing half finished games just to make money and start to treat the customers with a little bit more respect, if i'm gonna pay Si £30 i want a game that plays well out of the box, not a game that they're admitting before it's even released that it'll have problems and needs to be patched instantly. If Ford released a car that they knew would breakdown before it was released there would be uproar, but for some reason half the people on this forum are happy to let sega get away with it, Shocking!!

And I don't believe that people will be able to really judge the game mechanics in such short time. I don't really give a damn about cosmetic features, but if SI have improved on the many important problems in the gameplay such as the match-engine, newgens, transfer/squad intelligence, I'll be very happy.

I agree with you, Asjo, and will be reserving my final impressions until after we have all had some time to judge those real substantive improvements, like match engine, newgens, transfer/squad intelligence. Those are the improvements that will make or break it for me.

Absolute cobblers, read Rashidi 1's post, he like me, has suffered no problems. The main thing is that some people don't know how to set up their game tactics, etc. That is one of the reasons for the AM helping you.

As for the injuries, they reflect real life in some ways. Why do you think ,most sides play their youngsters/back up players in friendlies until close to the season's start, because players need to be up to around 90% fitness before they can play a full pre-seaon game, that is unless you don't care about them getting injured.

Archived