*Football Manager 2009 feedback- FIRST IMPRESSIONS THREAD*

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...

The Good...

+ It downloaded quickly via Steam (despite some initial non-connect issues which I've never seen before)

+ The Skin is okay this time around, I hated 08 skin but this appears to be quite solid and professional - congrats**

+ Widescreen support at last... welcome to the modern age SI ;) (sorry!)

+ I like the idea of increased media, especially the press conferences... worked okay, if a little unexciting (can they be exciting?)

The Ugly...

- I think the 3D match engine is pony. There, I said it. Relatively high system specs for what looks like a college kids project :-( *

- Why does the 3D match engine LOAD IN for the first highlight? If I have those settings enabled load the req data during match creation, its too stop start at the moment

- Is that stadium edges I see? If it is... what is going on? It's as if you've made 25% of it and stopped :-/ Crowd? Surface types leading up to stadium edge?

- Lack of user feedback - If you are trying to get more players, highlight things like the 'continue' button when its ready to move on (e.g. play a match)

- The help stuff that appears, looks tacked on and in no way integrated, it makes the game look like a database and provides ammo for critics

My dumbness...

/ How do you, for example, draw an arrow from LCM to ACM? I could in 07 (skipped 08) Am I missing something here? It wont let me draw to that position even though its a valid position (can drag playing into that slot, but not have him fun there). Maybe I've missed some mechanics news...

* Alright, so thats mega harsh but seriously... it looks quite ropey and I can already see myself using the classic 2D match engine. The 2D match engine (with more graphics/a different look) is weird... super large players, tiny ball, glitching when adjacent to other players, walking through players... I've updated all gfx drivers and believe it to be game side, not driver side. It doesnt look polished.

Is the grass texture changing too? Maybe you said the proper textures would ship with final game? The grass texture in the updated 2D match view looks poor. Also, do we still have to have blank space around the pitch? Stadium edges? More detail here and there to eradicate GUI blandness?

I'm sure the game will consume me once again, I spent a lot of time with 07 and loved it to bits. Its time to get up to speed with the new one but I find myself bemoaning the lack of polish in terms of presentation and ease of use each and every year... No doubt the community will be supplying some decent gfx updates over the coming days/weeks and months but it could start a little better out of the 'box' surely?

** Using large widescreen monitors it can sometimes be a pain to line up one segment of text to another e.g.

INFORMATION HERE .............................................................. 2nd PART OF INFO

Maybe draw feint lines between text so I can follow it with my eye?

Sorry for grumbles :)

Congrats on the hardwork necessary to release the game each and every year to annoying fans such as myself. I'm aware its VERY easy to snipe from afar when I'm not part of development and dont have the pressures involved in releasing something each year, for which you dont get a years worth of actual dev time. It's nice to put the consumer hat on and pick up the pitch-fork sometimes... sorry! :)

backpackant, there are random moments when the camera movement is indeed less than smooth for me too ... but in all fairness, it's only every now and then and not bad enough for me to mention it. My config is Intel Q9650, 4GB RAM and nVidia GeForce 8800GTS which is miles beyond any recommended setups. I guess this is simply another software issue because your setup is fast enough too if you have a reasonably current graphics card.

First Impressions:

The new Skin looks nice. The blue is much nicer on the eyes than the red which showed up as pink on some monitors. The white isn't nearly as blinding this year either. The Top bar has been consolidated into far too many submenus IMHO. I keep having to open submenus to find anything. Its probably something I'll either get used to or will force me to learn the keyboard shortcuts this year.

Manchester United:

Ouch loosing Queiroz really hurts. Unless Staff attributes have been reduced overall, the United coaching staff is rubbish and will need to be completely overhauled. Phelan needs to be replaced, but with 2.5m for mutual termination its not gonna happen for awhile. The reserves and u-18s have also dramatically been reduced in Potential (or the coaches are all so bad that you really cant see the real potential) and its looking like an almost full scale clearout there as well.

Round circles for me. That way I can use my imagination to picture the players, the stadium and everything else. This 3D engine feels like I'm playing a football video game from early 90's. As long as there is the 2D option I will be happy if the actual game is good.

Thats fair enough.

I personally didnt want 2D originally, and was dead against 3D but I think its definitely a decent representation.

Its all what you get used to, people expecting a pro-evo level will certainly find it lacking, but for me its better than 2D and far exceeds what CM did...

First impressions are good apart from the dissapointing 3d engine, it might just be for me, but i find it's lagging and skipping frames quite badly which makes it unenjoyable, i've quickly reverted back too 2d, i like the assisstant feedback especially, and the fact i transfer listed someone and actually got some bids!!!

This game is such a disappointment!!!! Already!!! I know it's a demo but really.. Has anyone played Fifa manager '99? The 3d match engine is not that good. Except that game ran on 8MB RAM. This one won't even run on 4GB DDR3!!! However, the press conferences are an amazing touch but it's very difficult to type into additional comments without getttiiinnngg ssiiixxx offf eeaacchh leeettteerrrrrr.... Things like "find a loan target" are quality and make the game so much easier (and IMO realistic) to play, and overall it looks like a MASSIVE improvement on '08. I just hope I get slightly more from the 3D engine when I shell out over £20 of my hard earned shillings for the full game in a few weeks.

In 3D, players also run through each other a lot. And it's very choppy. Also, the goalkeepers never seem to dive to make a save? I can't say this for sure, but all of the saves I've seen so far (from three matches) have been made by the goalkeepers standing on their feet?

Finally, my players won't pressure their oponents. Whole pitch + hard tackling = standing and watching as the other team passes the ball around.

I agree bring back slider.

My other few problems are each game now take around 1 minute to load.

I would like a option to have the classic view when nothing is going on with a split screen, then when there is a key highlight going to TV view automatic like on fm08.

The players standing around with the ball for ages before they pass it is really rather annoying - even when you're just having a quick play at 1.30am to try it out!

Me thinks I won't purchase the full game till the first patch is released - then again I say that every year!

Then again I don't know if SI will be able to make changes to the full game prior to release on the back of the demo experience?

4 games in, my first impressions is that the 3D engine is'nt ready, maybe it should have been saved for a later version? It does'nt flow and in no way what so ever does it look like a football match

the match experiance does'nt feel the same, I directed myself back to 2d, but I can't put my finger on why I'm not enjoying it as much as I was with Fm8, seems longer to load up (even without the 3d camera angles)

I do like other features in the game, the press conference, and the news report after games (which is now more in depth)

I am manager of Man United, maybe its because i'm an unknown manager but I'm finding it really hard to keep hold of players such as Vidic, Ever, Tevez, Ferdinhand, Rooney

already teams have shown an intrest and they all want to leave

Man City have already bought around 8 players in and now have a massive squad

however, "IF" or "WHEN" I buy the full version, I'll more likely start lower league and build my reputation up

so basicly, first impressions, unsure, ive yet to order and i'm still un decided

also on another note, Liam Dickenson, he is currently onloan at Huddlesfield, the game does'nt state this, he has been since the start of the current season, though he will have to return to Derby at the end of November

the 3d engine is childish. I wasn't expecting anything breathtaking but really this is silly. The ball does not move in a natural way at all. Players run into each other, have their back turned to the ball all the time when they shouldn't and it looks as if closing down is screwed up YET AGAIN. Also what the hell is up with goalkeepers taking goalkicks and constantly putting them into the centre circle where there are none of your own players?

oh and the game crashes every minute (sometimes even on start up) in windowed mode. I'm not paying for this poorly tested crap.

3d is not to jumpy, done it about 3 times in the second and im watching it on full match, what i like about it is, unlike 2d, you can kind of put it 3D On Elavated, and you see the whole match, how your tactics are working, and for me it's fascanating, i watched it for about 10 minutes without stopping, and could see where my tactics were going wrong, brought my wingers inside..and within 4 minutes i'd scored and started to keep and play much better football, and that was a great feeling, to know you spotted something tactically, and then it worked..and thats what i like about it, Goalkeeper animations like someone said can be worked, and obvoiusly for it's 1st time its not going to be perfect but im enjoying it..and instead of just watching highlights, i will definatly be playing a more tactical game and spending so much more time on my tactical side, where as 2d id rarely even set my tactics.

Got enough time to check 3D engine and as many people already said, it's ugly, unpolished and in general looks very amateurish. Nevertheless I'm happy you guys included it in this year's version. It's a start and I'm sure next year it will be much better with all the feedback from us and with some better programming from you (or maybe completely new team responsible for animation and other 3D stuff).

We still have great 2D classic view so it's not biggie that 3D sux, althoguh it's a bit shame, 'cause I had high hopes for it. Well, maybe next year.

I liked 3d engine, it's simple and show how players are going. I thought I wouldn't use this, but I decided to give it a chance.

About everything else, NOTHING really new. I decided to buy FM each two years (this is a buy year) because the game do not improve a lot to justify a new buying. But this year is disappointing. Few changes from 07, and almost the same from 08. And with this new DRM thing, I think each 3 years is enough.

Poor SI.

My first impressions:

- Seems like SI have taken a lot of consideration to the 3D aspect and a lot less consideration to the rest of the game. For starters, in 07 and 08 the game used to just start effortlessly in 2D mode. Now it has to set up 'game settings' on mine at the first key goal attempt/move. This is annoying. Secondly the 3D mode, however is nice, is lacking realism as already pointed out in the fact that the ball is saved by the keepers miles away, it's very jumpy (for me anyway - but thats probs my PC more than anything) and there's no crowd :p

Aside from that - the press conferences is good already.

7/10 for me so far.

cant choose 3d option. any ideas why my laptop is only 2 years old

Its your grafix card. If you can't see an option for 3D then you don't reach the requirements. Most laptop chipset will not be up to the standard.

2D pitch is jerky, but was fine on '08. I'm a little upset tbh.

The new transfer system is the same as the old one. I'm exactly two weeks in as the manager of Man Utd, and Manchester City have already bought: Yuri Zhirkov, Marek Hamsik (for 22.5 milion pounds!), Darijo Srna, Vincent Enyeama, Alexandar Anyukov, Andrey Arshavin and Marcelo.

These last three are still awaiting for a work permit, but this is just silly.

Also, I've seen a goalkeeper make a diving save, once so far. And I don't think that the closing-down is working.

Its your grafix card. If you can't see an option for 3D then you don't reach the requirements. Most laptop chipset will not be up to the standard.

how much would a new grafix card be as i dont want to be spending a fortunee

cant choose 3d option. any ideas why my laptop is only 2 years old
how much would a new grafix card be as i dont want to be spending a fortunee

90% sure if you got a laptop you will need a new one.

Sad really, that for a cosmetic feature some of us have to suffer.

I'm more disappointed than upset. The huge processing power that is taken up by the 3D aspect ruins the 2D game play as well. I'm finding 2D just as jumpy as 3D. Really had high hopes for this; my laptop is 3 months old and plays 2008 version good. I know technology changes, but really in 3 months - you'd expect an half decent PC/Laptop to play it cleanly. I know it's hard SI but please bear in mind some people are not rich enough to buy top end PCs and laptops with superb GFX cards etc!:)

Very difficult to upgrade laptop graphics - usually they part of the processor chipset rather than a separate card unless you bought an expensive gaming laptop.

I didn't choose a gaming graphics one 13 months ago as I never thought I'd need it for FM!

I'm more disappointed than upset. The huge processing power that is taken up by the 3D aspect ruins the 2D game play as well. I'm finding 2D just as jumpy as 3D. Really had high hopes for this; my laptop is 3 months old and plays 2008 version good. I know technology changes, but really in 3 months - you'd expect an half decent PC/Laptop to play it cleanly. I know it's hard SI but please bear in mind some people are not rich enough to buy top end PCs and laptops with superb GFX cards etc!:)

agree 100% that is what I was trying to say. Why does 2D have to suffer at the hands of 3D? I'm not buying a new PC. So therefore I'll skip 09.

Very difficult to upgrade laptop graphics - usually they part of the processor chipset rather than a separate card unless you bought an expensive gaming laptop.

I didn't choose a gaming graphics one 13 months ago as I never thought I'd need it for FM!

You see being a Uni student, laptops are easier because you can take them to lectures so the utility value is better for me. While you can upgrade a PC, I really thought - despite the 3D aspect - that the one I paid for - £370 - would be more than an adequate.

Oh, and just another point. Why is it when I type things in it always adds in like 4 of the same letter - very sensitive.

I tried typing in my name and it ended up being nearer 20 letters long than 9

I want to like the game, and overall my impressions of most things are good. However, there are some issues that make me feel I'm right back where I was this time last year. In the first 2 matches of my career I've already found that the ME has problems.

-The opposition goalkeeper booted the ball, my keeper dived past it and as my defence watched the opposing striker ran past and scored.

-I've already had 2 goals disallowed. Maybe I shouldn't judge that after only 2 games, but after the issue with that last year I'm worried already.

-In the first game I had 2 appeals for a penalty and another in my second game. Seems excessive.

Also, I don't want to seem too down on the game, especially since I had a good idea that I wouldn't like the demo much, but the transfer system seems exactly the same. My impression was that teams were going to stop spending stupid money on players, yet in the first week Marek Hamsik went for £30m.

this is impressive and very immersive.3d adds to game experience and everything about game involves you more than previous versions.skins good as well.pity im signed up for FML cause this game would really mop up all my spare time.grand job SI.full game should be ****in stunning.have fun all with it:thup:

I haven't read all this huge thread, I'm too busy starting the game... finally. ;)

However, has anybody else worked out that the previous graphics all work fine if you import them into your new FM2009 user directory in My Documents?

It's much, much better with logos and player pictures. Even the backgrounds work. I still have to test the 2d pitch graphics but the game imported them without errors.

:)

Sod it!

I'm taking the plunge!

I said I wouldn't be downloading the demo but I'm going ahead with it.

Currently downloading at a speed of 400+kbps.

Only started so 40 minutes to go......

tick, tock, tick, tock.... :D

Archived