*Football Manager 2009 feedback- FIRST IMPRESSIONS THREAD*

the steam download is fast, but the problem is i cant (at least i cant find a way to) launch the demo without starting the steam first. i juz deleted it and waiting for the BT

Why not play using steam for a day or so till the madness dies down then you can download the other one no probs. Thats what i'm doing.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far I'm having the same reaction I have to every FM demo I play - "it doesn't feel right just yet". It doesn't help that Everton are incredibly difficult to start as (I've lost all three of my friendlies so far, somehow), and I'm sure that's colouring my views on the game, but the demo's not exactly making me want to go and pre-order the game right now, especially with FML coming in a few days time.

I've already had enough of the 3D view, after 3 matches, and I don't see myself going back to it any time soon - the somewhat lacklustre representation of the match isn't really worth the length of time it takes for the engine to ready the 3D pitch so I've gone back to the 2D view. As well as this, I'm having trouble trying to keep track of the match itself, the assistant's feedback and the player's ratings all at the same time.

Also, has the 'Go On Holiday' function changed, or is it just not in the demo? I use to skip games that I don't want to play, but when I click the holiday button, I just go to the 'Game Status' screen.

Why not play using steam for a day or so till the madness dies down then you can download the other one no probs. Thats what i'm doing.

actually i hv tried it, and then i exit halfway through the 3d match. And actually i hv started BT at the same time i start steam so it's going to be finished vy soon:)

The animations in 3D are very poor to be honest. Everything the players do feels weird and unnatural especially the way they shoot. Not trying to be too negative but this is what football games used to look and feel like 15+ years ago :( Kind of disappointed considering SI waited so long to introduce the 3D engine because they wanted to do it right.

I think its superb and I think its your overly high expectations thats letting you down.

It was never going to be pro - evolution but a 3D representation of the FM match engine.

I think what they have done with it is excellent and being a staunch anti-3D player Im delighted with what they have done.

Definitely adds to the game and improves it, and thats ok in my book...

Also, has the 'Go On Holiday' function changed, or is it just not in the demo? I use to skip games that I don't want to play, but when I click the holiday button, I just go to the 'Game Status' screen.

Go on Holiday has never been enabled in the demo.

I'm enjoying playing this but like everyone has said it doesn't look like they've updated the stats from 2008, they haven't also included Zele Ismail into Wolves youth team even though the papers are tipping him to be a wonderkid plus with the rumors Chelsea and Man City having a bid of £2.5M turned down you'd think that would get him into the game. :(

Don't get the title of this thread wrong please, because I actually like this year's release despite some disappointments and I still plan to buy it and spend many weeks and months of my spare time on it ;) But I feel my opinion should be told. Maybe you have a different view and you'd like to share it?

x) Most players' first touches look like the ball is either magnetic or is glued to the players' feet. Just an hour ago I had been playing FM08 and it didn't feel that way at all in the old 2D. As I haven't yet tried any 2D games in FM09 I don't know if that happens there too.

x) Player interaction animations (mostly fouls) look very amateurish. It's happened a few times in every match that the tackled player was about 2-3 meters away from the offender and instead of tripping over him, it looks like he falls by himself before he even reaches him (which ultimately looks like he's being kicked in the head).

x) Breaks between live coverage look anything but clean. There's the start of a scene that makes me think my computer is desperately catching up on the animations - which is not the case of course because max 15% cpu load and a nVidia 8800gts must be more than fast enough - and then there's the random (?) camera movement between scenes.

x) Sometimes players look like they're drifting in one direction while they're shown running + facing in another one.

The thing is that I went into FM09 with no high expectations regarding the new 3D matches because I had already seen an early gameplay video somewhere and knew what the basic limits are. I have no problem with the lack of a zoom level or with the player detail and less animated moves than Fifa/PES doesn't matter either. What bothers me is that 3D matches feel like an early beta that need plenty of work to look believeable and I fear it won't be solved with the upcoming 2 patches.

In many other ways the game has improved like expected. A few new features, a more thoughtful arrangement of information and I hope the removal of many issues we've experienced in FM08. Baring any unforseen bugs it should make the game at least as much fun as the previous one. 3D is a single feature I don't like and because 2D is still available that doesn't bother me much :)

for about a few minutes of playing - only four words.

it's absolutely fantastic!

great skin changes, my likely blue is everywhere, press conference - what a big improvement.

one small problem - double characters, when we write sth, but like you wrote, that'll be repaired.

big, big thanks Miles, and all SI!

It is amazing! The 3D isn't something I'll use for the entire season, but its really impressive. I'm running on 2gigs and it works great. Cannot wait for my 4 gig to come in mail!!!

Otherwise, assistant feedback is amazing (in game). Need to keep playing!

One of my scouts is in Mexico. He hasn't been able to find any players, but he did tell me that "The Mexico national team plays it's matches at Estadio Azteca, Mexico City - a stadium with a capacity of 104000".

It's like he's just sent me a postcard - "No players, but here's a picture of me in front of the national stadium!"

Get back to work, Fawthrop you lazy swine! I'm not paying you to go on holiday!

Was a bit disappointed with the 3d if I'm honest. I think I was expecting a bit much - I appreciate it must be very difficult to create. I'm playing my second friendly now and enjoying it a lot more. I've accepted it for what it is and it's not at all bad really.

On another note, what did I read about the entire coding for the transfer system being changed? It seems the same to me...

Nice skin and generally very good so far.

First impressions:

The 3D engine is awesome, what a different experience!

Second impressions:

Everytime I type I get 2-4 characters for each one I press.

If you change the game to windowed, then press alt-enter the screen vanishes, and you have to kill the process.

Nemanja Vidic Main Man for Manchester United? I Could think of 5 players in front of him in my opinion...
One of my scouts is in Mexico. He hasn't been able to find any players, but he did tell me that "The Mexico national team plays it's matches at Estadio Azteca, Mexico City - a stadium with a capacity of 104000".

It's like he's just sent me a postcard - "No players, but here's a picture of me in front of the national stadium!"

I Lolled Really Loud

Haha! :D

Complete with novelty sombrero hat and a pinata under his arm?

3d match engine is a nice extra, but I will be playing with the greatly improved '2D Classic', with some 3D fun for special goals etc....

UI is very nice, great job on that!

Playing with Man City to get used to things and enjoy spending some money (and scoring some goals), before messing around with my beloved Leicester.

Watching Man City in 3d against teams in white is VERY hard to distinguish. One clown in black, 20 players in a very light top and 2 wannabe outfielders in loud colors with gloves.

The only thing the 3d is useful is seing whether the player heads or shoot the ball in near the goal positions. Other than that, the animations are too insufficient for a game of 2009. Even "The Manager" of Amiga 500 had better animations. Also the match engine is producing some awkward positions, such as the left back holding the ball on his feet for ages without any pressure from the opposition, even if there is close down option selected to max.

Regarding the 3D, let me just say this: it is not something I'll try regularly, it is still VERY rough from the matches I've been playing so far, but it has an AWESOME potential (there are already VERY nice touches here and there).

-------

Just like, through the years, we saw the 2D engine getting better and better (it is really fantastic now, in my opinion), the same I'm sure will happen with the new 3D view.

Infact, I can't already wait to try out the 2010 or even 2011 version for that matter.

Just keep raising the bar, SI folks. You will do it :)

Archived