dafuge's FM16 challenge

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well my second attempt has also failed. Had a solid start to the second season and then suffered a big dip in form which happened at the same time as a board takeover. End result equals sacked. This is not going to plan at all...

Grays Athletic

Season Summary 17-18

Vanarama National

Final Position 11

The League

Following last seasons promotion, I had high hopes for this season. Indeed the season started great and we slowly moved up and was sitting in 1st place. Around december however, things started to change. A 6 games run without a victory

saw us slowly sliding downward. That combined with the usual lower league FM trait. Player X scored first goal of the season. Player X scored first goal ever - We did really good vs the top teams in the league, but were lucky to pull a draw

when playing teams in the red zone.

The Cups

In the FA Cup, we beat Weymoth 3-0 in the 4th qual. Had a reply vs Oldham in the 1st and progressed to the second round, where L1 Shrewsbury was too much for us.

The FAT was an almost rerun on last season, we got to the final and this time, beat VNN Telford 2-1. The most memorable effort in the tournament was destroying rival Dag&Red 7-2 in the semi finals!

The Players

Didn't have any players really shining through for us, therefore, pick of the year goes to same player as last season Schott Schulton. 43 app 13 goals and 10 assists.

The Extras

Being in the red almost all season, restrained our progress of getting better players and naturally board didn't want to upgrade anything - Couldn't even send myself on a coaching course.

The gate reciepts from the FAT final put us in the black again, that combined with next seasons friendlies, can hopefully spice things up a little.

Season	League	Pos	Europe		FA Cup	Cap One	FAT/JPT
16-17	VNS	1st	None		3d Qua	None	Final
17-18	VN	11th	None		2nd Rnd	None	FAT Winners

31733d7320ef4a055e8cefb3f71606b2.png

Player Awards ~ League Table ~ Transfers ~ ~ Finances ~ Facilities ~ Jordan Yong ~ Nick Brook ~ Kevin Noble

Part 1 ~ Part 2 ~ Part 3 ~ Part 4 ~ Strikerless Tactic

All in all I was happy with my first season despite it being a real mixed bag. It has been one true learning curve. I see my season as 4 parts (screenshots above). The first part was a promising start to the league, 3 wins out of 6 and we were looking steady in the top half at this point. However, the second part of the season was abysmal, truly abysmal. By the turn of the new year we were sat in 20th position, 5 points off 19th place and safety from relegation after my worst run of form I've had in a long time on FM. I tried all sorts and nothing was coming together and I was fearing for my job. Part 3 was some sort of a revival of form in the new year, I went back to the bare basic 4-4-bloody-2 and managed 4 wins in a row. This was soon followed by a slip in form and I knew I had to change something otherwise we'd be back in the relegation zone. This is when I reverted to my 4-1-2-3-0 strikerless tactic that had been my favourite on both FM 14 & 15 - with a few tweaks we were playing great football, high possession and winning games. I will be putting my everything into this style of play next season.

Now I have to say that the biggest lesson I have learnt from this season is that I need to take more care in the off-season to build a stronger squad. I've got lazy and played more recently with attribute masking off in recent saves and I've discovered that actually I'm not that good at discovering players. I held a trials day, signed a few players, got a few non-contract players and loans and set off naively into the season. The squad I built was not good enough, I must make use of the next few months to groom a new squad, hopefully capable of promotion. Finance wise we started off in a decent position but we slowly declined to our current position of around 40k in debt, we could really do with a good cup run. Due to our financial position, Ive only managed one upgrade to our facilities and that was with the junior coaching. I love developing youngsters and I have been very happy with the contribution from Brook and Noble in our first intake. Our player of the season was Jordan Yong, a non contract attacking full back who loves an assist!

Now onto work over the summer period, lets hope next season is a successful one.

So my first season at Salford and I thought I was in with a good chance to get to the playoffs. I lost quite a lot of players at the start on free transfers but didn't spend too much on transfers. Transfers

I got to the 2nd round in the FA Cup before being knocked out away to Portsmouth. I managed to net £102k in gate receipts so that helped. Although at the end of the season I am £261k in the red. FA Cup

Got to the Semi-Finals of the FA Trophy before being knocked out on penalties. FA Trophy

League got the better of me and lost a couple of important players for long periods which affected me. Finished 10th in the end. League Standings

Season review Season Review

Possible star of the future for the club (at least till league 2 perhaps) Fred Robertson

All in all, not a disaster of a season, I'm still in a job (for now).

Edit: And the reason for my 2-8 defeat at home was due to getting my GK injured and having to put a defender in net. I should have defended more but didn't.

FMKING_zpsjntgmtfc.png

SEASON 2018-19 VANARAMA NATIONAL CONFERENCE

League

Expected to finish 15th after promotion last season we had a fantastic first half of the season! We struggled second half and throw away a 10 point lead to go into the last day sitting second where we played Harrogate who were top by 2 points and what a game we had! Finished 3-0 Which made us Champions for a second consecutive season! Back to back promotions and now we are a football league team!

FIXTURES 1 | FIXTURES 2 | VANARAMA NATIONAL CONFERENCE | HARROGATE FINAL DAY OF THE SEASON

Cups

Knocked out of the 4th Qualifying round of the FA cup. The FA Trophy on the other hand was a great comp for us beating Dartford, Redditch, Woking, Gateshead and Dover on our way to the final where we faced Eastleigh. Winning 1-0 in a close game to lift the cup.

FA TROPHY FIXTURES | FA TROPHY FINAL

Squad and Club Info

Squad | Home Screen | Transfers | Season Review |Best 11 | Fans Player | Top Goalscorer

[font=Verdana]Season     Division                                   Pos    FA Cup        Lg Cup    Other Comps         Continental Comps    Notes[/font]
[font=Verdana]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font]
[font=Verdana]2016/17    Vanarama National South          4th    3rd qual rd   N/A       FAT: 3rd qual rd    N/A                  lost in playoff final[/font]
[font=Verdana]2017/18    Vanarama National South          1st    3rd qual rd   N/A       FAT: 3rd qual rd    N/A                  Champions, Manager of the year
2018/19    Vanarama National Conference   1st ​   4th qual rd   N/A       FAT: Winners        N/A                  Champions, FA Trophy winners, Manager of the year[/font]

I have started again, this time as St. Neots. Profile

Its fair to say that expectations are low, battling relegation and not getting overwhelmed in the cups are the boards aims. The odds have the team at 1000-1, the next team up is 150-1.

When telling the players at the first meeting that i thought they could beat the drop 80% thought i was being too ambitious :eek:

On the plus side i persuaded Fabio Saraiva (a lower league great) to join after telling him he could be a legend for the club.

Seems like an interesting challenge. I'm gonna bend the rules a little for myself and start as FC United of Manchester, but follow the rules otherwise. And since they got promoted to VC North for this season I think it's close enough. For my personal use anyway :)

I restarted as Met Police, abandoning my St Neots save. My Profile.

Currently into late February and while I have a decent cushion from relegation (13 points) I'm on a bad run of form due to still not having the players I need (low decision and low anticipation is a bad combination for a club) and a stretch of almost constant top of the table sides. I feel like I shouldn't get the sack, but my Board hasn't offered me a new contract yet either. My tactics are a bit of a mess at the moment too, but I reverted back to a 4-5-1 I used to start the season and it has made me at least difficult to score against.

Is anyone else having trouble attracting players to the club?

I've been promoted to the conference national but can still only attract the same players as when i was in conference north.

Will update later with the details of the season.

Yes, it seems much more difficult than previous versions to find adequate players. Having a brutal time finding a decent holding midfielder.

Yes, it seems much more difficult than previous versions to find adequate players. Having a brutal time finding a decent holding midfielder.

Players seem less willing to move any distance for a PT contract, you have more luck with nearby clubs i've noticed. With Colwyn Bay, a lot of ex liverpool youths would join, at St Neots its seems ex Palace youths will join.

I also let the chairman sign players just to see what he comes up with, most i reject at the confirmation stage but chairman seem more able to make loan signings

I decided to give this a proper go this year. I usually attempt it privately and lurk the forums reading up on how everyone else is doing but I figured it was about time I got involved!!

I've already made a noob error in forgetting to get a screenshot on June 24th, so have done one at the earliest opportunity upon realising this and have also got a screenshot of my Personal Information to show there is nothing dodgy going on with regards starting reputation etc. :)

If this is unacceptable then I can start again if need be!! Soooooo, introducing the new manager of Dulwich Hamlet (picked only because of their funky kit)...

Manager Profile

Personal Information

Also, has anyone else got extremely lucky in terms of youth players already at the club upon taking over? I've got a 15 year old striker on a youth contract who is wanted by a few prem clubs. I have absolutely no chance of getting him signed up on a permanent contract but he's absolutely tearing up the league in the opening games of the season, I think it may destroy our chances of success when he inevitably leaves in the next few weeks.

This is the guy...

Dan Rider

I'm rolling with a classic 4-4-2 at the moment and I'm unbeaten after the first 3 games of the season but my squad is small and any injuries will make things difficult if I don't manage to get any players in soon. I'll do a proper update at the halfway point of the season!

evry1sfavedave - Rider looks a fantastic player already, what do your coaches say about his potential.

I did this challenge years ago with Merthyr Tydfill and had 3 youth players come through in the first 3 years who later played in the premier league.

Met Police 2016/17 Season

Summary:

It was slog. From the very beginning. I started with barely a dozen players and it was a mad scramble to get trialists in and weed out the 95% that were unacceptable. As the season opener drew near I ended up having to make huge compromises. Relatedly, our financial situation was dire with only a 3,000/wk wage budget and the prospects of losing a lot of money for the year so I opted to play many lopsided friendlies for the fees. It didn't help our team morale at all, but was probably necessary as we ended up losing about 50k for the year while making about 35k off those friendlies.

The season started badly with a string of five matches without a win, however by September we had a full squad in and started challenging for points. By December were were hovering around 9th-12th. At that point it began going wrong. Without fixture congestion all the teams could field their best rested XI and we couldn't compete. By February we were 13 points above relegation but we still needed the penultimate weekend to secure our place for 2017/18 as March and April were filled with draws at best and many a hammering.

I originally thought the first season would be spent building with a challenge for promotion in the second season. I don't see that happening now. I need to rebuild the squad once again as several key players, including our young, promising goalkeeper won't sign a new contract. So, it's back to the drawing board.

In Other News:

Man City win the Treble with.......Jose Mourinho?

Andrew - Survival is always the aim in season 1, anything above that is a bonus. I do get the feeling that on 16 its going to be harder to keep our better players!

I'm into February of my 2nd season now - going a lot better than last year. Strikerless all the way!

Andrew - Survival is always the aim in season 1, anything above that is a bonus. I do get the feeling that on 16 its going to be harder to keep our better players!

I'm into February of my 2nd season now - going a lot better than last year. Strikerless all the way!

Nice going. The off-season is already better with a year's worth of scouting expanding my pool of players.

I decided to give this a proper go this year. I usually attempt it privately and lurk the forums reading up on how everyone else is doing but I figured it was about time I got involved!!

I've already made a noob error in forgetting to get a screenshot on June 24th, so have done one at the earliest opportunity upon realising this and have also got a screenshot of my Personal Information to show there is nothing dodgy going on with regards starting reputation etc. :)

If this is unacceptable then I can start again if need be!! Soooooo, introducing the new manager of Dulwich Hamlet (picked only because of their funky kit)...

Manager Profile

Personal Information

Also, has anyone else got extremely lucky in terms of youth players already at the club upon taking over? I've got a 15 year old striker on a youth contract who is wanted by a few prem clubs. I have absolutely no chance of getting him signed up on a permanent contract but he's absolutely tearing up the league in the opening games of the season, I think it may destroy our chances of success when he inevitably leaves in the next few weeks.

This is the guy...

Dan Rider

I'm rolling with a classic 4-4-2 at the moment and I'm unbeaten after the first 3 games of the season but my squad is small and any injuries will make things difficult if I don't manage to get any players in soon. I'll do a proper update at the halfway point of the season!

I have basically the next Mama Sidibe already in the team. About 17 years of age and I'm giving him game after game

Deadfncat - how was your form after the thrashing? I had a cup run and got thrashed by a big side and we fell apart in the league. Fixture congestion has certainly contributed.

Buxton - Vanarama Conference North - Season 2016-2017

Predicted finish: 16th

Actual finish: 4th and promoted after play-offs

What a great season. We started the season very good with 2 wins and 2 draws in our first 4 games. We lost our 5th game, but we kept in touch with the play-offs. We were during the whole season between 3th and 10th place. Until 6 games before the end of the season there was only a maximum gap of 4 points between 3th and 10th, so it was a very tight league. At the end of the season we found ourselves in 4th position and deserved our place in the play-offs. We would face Nuneaton in the semis. The other semi final was between Guiseley, who lost the title on the final day and Halifax.

In an even first leg we had lady luck on our side and won the game 2-1. The second leg was more difficult for Buxton. Nuneaton was much better and we were Lucky that we only trailed 1-0 after 90 minutes. So we went into extra times. Not much happend until we got a penalty in the last minute of the game. I wasn't sure we would convert this penalty kick, because during the whole season we only scored 3 from 14 given penalties. Just awful stats. But Carlo Erdei, our Romanian AMC kept his cool and convert the most important kick of his carreer. 1-1 and we were in the final!!!!

In the final we would face Halifax, our boogey team of this season. In our both league games we lost 0-5 and 3-1. Our worst results of the season. In the FA cup we did beat them 0-3.

And the players went onto the pitch to set the records straight. We absolutely dominated the game, and we won easily 3-0. Buxton is up the National Conference!!!!!!

These are http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198074895983/screenshot/405682610616697050that did the job for us. Most of our players resigned, but we have to strenghten our defence. We had the 14th worst defence of the league.

Games 1

Games 2

FA cup: Kicked out in the 4th qualification round by Tranmere.

FA Throphy: Had an incredible run and made it till the 4th round were Grimsby was to strong for us. Overachievers of the season.

Youth intake: 1 player with 5*.

Sam Thorphe (YP1a): AMR who will be back-up next season. Will get some game time.

Transfers:

Finances: Not looking good, but the play-offs helped us a lot. Will be terrible next season because we have to upgrade our stadium to reach the minimum

requirements of the Conference.

Goals next season:

Staying up

Reach at least the 1th round of the FA-cup.

Bartcm, well done on promotion.

Is your squad that good or just a poor youth intake? I am in my first season and had 6 5* players and 2 4.5* (i also had 3 5* youths at the club from the start, 1 who has decresed from L2 potential to V National occording to my coach)

Thanks Thebaker. I just thnk my youth intake is that bad, I think I have poor youth facilities. I didn't have any good youth prospect at the start of this challenge (1.5* max)

I think I just the most funny reason to delay the expansion of the stadium. They don't have the money to install 10 extra seats. This must be a bug. :)

Thanks Thebaker. I just thnk my youth intake is that bad, I think I have poor youth facilities. I didn't have any good youth prospect at the start of this challenge (1.5* max)

To be fair St. Neots does have good facilities compared to most in the challenge, average youth recruitment which is on a par with L1 or L2 clubs

Grays Athletic

Season Summary 2018-19

Vanarama National

Final Position 1st

The League

A great season for us. We were pretty much in the top all season. It was a season of slowly replacing players on most positions (read when better ones wanted to sign). Most of the players were higher division rejects. We were comfortably

leading the table at one point, around february we started to loose that advantage with 5 draws in 8 games, and it wasn't until the very last gameday we managed to secure the title, ending 2 points ahead of Macclesfield.

The Cups

In the FA cup, we had a good first 2 games beating Lewes and Kiddermininster, but in the 2nd round we went up against a very good Cardiff team away and lost 4-0.

In the FAT we had set high standars, reaching the final twice, but in a very disappointing game we lost 2-1 away to FC Halifax and exited as well in the 2nd round.

The Players

There were a few strong players we signed, that I have high hopes for. Matija Sarkic signed late in season after Aston Villa released him. He seems to be a great keeper for this level. Ben Rowthorn (previously Southhampton), was great in the defense and finally Anthony Scully in his second season with us, was a menace on the right wing.

The Extras

Looking forward to a hopefully increased scouting range in L2 and to see what type of players can be lured to play with us. Board finally agreed to invest in their managers badge, twice in a season, and am currently training for a National-B license.

Season	League	Pos	Europe		FA Cup	Cap One	FAT/JPT
16-17	VNS	1st	None		3d Qua	None	Final
17-18	VN	11th	None		2nd Rnd	None	FAT Winners
18-19	VN	1st	None		2nd Rnd	None	2nd Rnd

Having already had two failed attempts I have restarted as Salford City. I am already 10 league games in and unbeaten so hopefully this goes smoother than my other attempts.

Edit: Stupid forum curse. Lost 1-0 after this post...

Having already had two failed attempts I have restarted as Salford City. I am already 10 league games in and unbeaten so hopefully this goes smoother than my other attempts.

Edit: Stupid forum curse. Lost 1-0 after this post...

Good to see that the curse is still going strong :D

Archived