The Spanish Football thread 2015-16: 2 Legends depart

cms186

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have low standards if he had a fantastic first season. He had a few big goals but was otherwise pretty average.

Winning goal which was a wonder goal in cup final against Barca and the winning goal which opened up the floodgates in the CL final. 22 goals in 44 games. That is excellent.

He did have a very good first season everything considered. 22 goals, 16 assists and 2 cup final winning goals against their 2 fiercest rivals. Very good, or maybe i just have low standards.

Not low standards, just (as I've said to you a lot) - too stats focused. Statistically he was good but performances weren't very good on the whole.

Look at Cristiano this season. Judge him on his stats alone like your post above and he's been excellent. Reality is that he's had an underwhelming campaign.

Mind you any striker playing for Madrid & Barcelona would score bucket loads. The general opinion is Ronaldo has had a bad campaign so far this season, but has already scored 25 goals this season, 14 in the league. This means he is on course to score more even than his best season at Man Utd when he scored 42, who were a dominant attacking side at the time. Far easier to score goals for those two in a league with lack of competition.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Valencia[/TD]

[TD]vs.[/TD]

[TD]Las Palmas[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Athletic Bilbao[/TD]

[TD]vs.[/TD]

[TD]Barcelona[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sevilla[/TD]

[TD]vs.[/TD]

[TD]Mirandes[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Celta Vigo[/TD]

[TD]vs.[/TD]

[TD]Atletico Madrid[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Copa QF draw.

Looks like Borja Baston might be recalled, certainly seems a better option than Fernando Torres. After being the next big thing (was rated on par with Paco Alcacer when he was a teenager) looked like his Atletico career had stopped before it even started, great to see him comeback and turn it around especially after that horrid injury on his senior debut.

Hope Neville can turn it round. Not just because I'm a sentimental Utd fan, but we really need a top, young English coach doing well with a big club.

Valencia are bit of a strange one though. I've seen them a few times and although the likes of Rodgrigo de Paul, Alcacer, Danilo etc. are clearly talented, there aren't really any experienced winners the team can look towards to guide them through games.

Mascherano shows us what it means to have some self responsibility. Oh wait, he does the exact opposite and blames everyone else.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/21/javier-mascherano-sentenced-jail-tax-fraud-barcelona?CMP=twt_gu

Following Thursday’s ruling, Mascherano released a statement via his Twitter account and the Barcelona website in which he said: “I’m a sporting professional, I don’t have a great understanding of tax and legal matters.

“Therefore, to deal with what are for me technical and complicated matters, I have to rely on other people.

“Throughout all my career I have been an honest person, responsible and respectful of my team-mates and the clubs that I have played for and the countries I have lived in.

“I reserve the possibility of action against those who have badly advised me by recommending something that was not right.”

Archived