Match 4 - Group B - Chile vs Australia - 23:00 BST

CaptainPlanet

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hope not?

I won't support a Brazil full of foreign-based players and a Brazil win will only benefit Brazil's FA and gives them more power, thus harming club football here.

I do agree Brazil can/might/may win, although probably not as easily as in the Confederations Cup final.

Very happy with Australia's performance. Played very well for about 80 minutes.

The 3-1 score was very harsh, given the chances both teams had.

Chile too disappointing, although even before the game I wasn't expecting them to advance anyway. Either way, Spain vs Chile should be interesting.

I won't support a Brazil full of foreign-based players and a Brazil win will only benefit Brazil's FA and gives them more power, thus harming club football here.

I do agree Brazil can/might/may win, although probably not as easily as in the Confederations Cup final.

But there are world class teams across Europe. Can you really blame them with the money and competitions they are playing in.

I do so hope Australia beat Spain....

I wasn't imporessed with Brazil at the back though.

Not going to happen unfortunately.

But there are world class teams across Europe. Can you really blame them with the money and competitions they are playing in.

I don't blame them, but that doesn't mean I'll support them either.

Australia had 3 domestic starters compared to Chile's zero. Therefore Australia won....

I'm happy with our performance, we gave a good account of ourselves, particularly in the second half. Unfortunately I can't see us getting anything out of the group with the Netherlands and Spain to come but hopefully we can keep the performances good. Promising signs for the future at least, considering the inexperience of the squad. Next January we host the Asian Cup and should also have a lot of our injured regulars back (Kruse, Williams, Rogic, Kennedy etc.), so hopefully we can build for that :thup:. As for this match, I thought the referee had a good game and the Chileans were worth their win, though we did enough to suggest we might've taken something away from it on another day.

Also, very proud of Leckie's performance :cool:. Ex-Adelaide United player!

Australia had 3 domestic starters compared to Chile's zero. Therefore Australia won....

Chile had 3 Brazil-based players though, which from my point of view is more interesting and helps me sympathize with them. :)

They taught us a lesson at Wembley, but here Chile look like they'd concede 5 goals to any Sam Allardyce side. I can't remember the last time I saw a team so incapable of defending in the air against a lone 5'10 forward.

The Chilean defence is completely made of full backs and midfielders. It is to be expected

After reading all the doom and gloom over Australia I was really impressed by them. Thought they played really well. Shame they didn't really start playing till 2-0 down. Aussies can be quite proud of that considering the strength of their side. And that's all you can ask for.

Hope they continue this showing against the Dutch and Spanish :thup:

If Spain beat Chile (and I think they will), this group is going to come down to a sort of goal grabbing frenzy in the last games. I.E. can Spain score enough past Australia to knock out one from Chile or Holland (whoever loses that final game).

For a while there I thought Australia were going to nick a point. The relief when Beausajour made sure of the win.

If Spain beat Chile, then Chile beat Netherlands and of course they both beat Australia. They'll all be on 6 points, so to win the group, would Spain need to win about 7-0 against Chile as the Australia result wouldnt count on the Head-to-Heads?

Just me or has this World Cup got off to a great start? Been loving it so far, enjoyed every match.

Not just you, been a really good start. Even Mexico vs Cameroon was entertaining for quite a while. Hopefully that continues today. Seems a massive contrast to 2010 where the first 6 or whatever games were dull as dishwater.

Thought Australia played quite well and may have even deserved a point and definitely had chances to get a second.

Seen the match last night and also watched second half rerun now. Chile weren't playing the way I expected and the score wasn't real reflection of the game. Chile's display against Germany pumped me for this WC that I couldn't care less if Croatia is playing. Maybe against Dutch and Spanish they'll have more space to (counter)attack.

Bit of a love-in for Chile but think they can hand their 'dark horse' credentials in

I think even against us we seemed to nick the ball off them in their own half a bit and Aussies really made things difficult. I think Spain are gonna do em tbh

Cahill just strikes me as a guy that works and works even though he's not the best natural talent. I always liked him

Heard the commentator say they were dark horses for the competition at the start of the match. About as much chance of winning it as England.

Ah, missed that, think the English media are talking them up simply because they beat us a few months back. Colombia will get further.

Archived