Match 4 - Group B - Chile vs Australia - 23:00 BST

CaptainPlanet

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CHILE: Bravo, Mena, Isla, Valdivia, Vargas, Medel, Jara, Aranguiz, Diaz, Vidal, Alexis.

The players in bold play in Brazil, Chile with a far more Brazilian line-up than Brazil. :cool:

There'll be goals Georginho.

With that result we're even more ****ed than I thought.

a) We won't be able to maybe nick a point/goal against the Dutch

b) Spain need to beat us.

If you expected points anyway out of this world cup you were deluded. :D

This is about gaining experience for next February, and for four years from now. We were never getting out of this group, but putting in a decent performance is what I'm hoping for.

The state of that Australian team. Disgraceful that this team almost get a bye to the World Cup now.

Far harder to qualify from Asia than it is for Europe and South America with the tons of spots they have.

Somebody that isn't Australian, please tell me how we can possibly win. I beg you!

Park the bus like Chelsea and get them on the counter. This is the World Cup, anything can happen :)

Far harder to qualify from Asia than it is for Europe and South America with the tons of spots they have.
Surely you're not serious? The number of spots is irrelevant, it's about the quality of opposition that you have to face when comparing how hard it is to qualify and frankly, the Asian quali section is by far the easiest. Some utter **** sides in that section.

The state of that Australian team. Disgraceful that this team almost get a bye to the World Cup now.

Such a troll :D

But you're welcome to Jordan or some other even worse team if you like.

Surely you're not serious? The number of spots is irrelevant, it's about the quality of opposition that you have to face when comparing how hard it is to qualify and frankly, the Asian quali section is by far the easiest. Some utter **** sides in that section.

It doesn't matter if the opposition is rubbish if the top teams there aren't great either.

It's far easier for Brazil or England to qualify in their regions than it is for Australia in Asia.

It doesn't matter if the opposition is rubbish if the top teams there aren't great either.

It's far easier for Brazil or England to qualify in their regions than it is for Australia in Asia.

Of course the opposition matters because it has an outcome on how difficult it is for a team to secure qualification. As for your example, the chances are equal (I'd probably even have it Australia's favour - i.e. being easier - because even though they're a poor side, they're comfortably amongst the best in a bad bunch.)

I was hoping that the Dutch were going to be terrible, like really terrible. That was our only hope, I'm not that deluded.

I'd agree that our only shot was a win against Chile and the Spanish running away with the group. Now I'd just settle for a goal and a point. :D

Of course the opposition matters because it has an outcome on how difficult it is for a team to secure qualification. As for your example, the chances are equal (I'd probably even have it Australia's favour - i.e. being easier - because even though they're a poor side, they're comfortably amongst the best in a bad bunch.)

The thing is, Australia need to win/get good results in a large part of the games to qualify. Brazil for example qualified to the 2002 WC despite losing 6 out of 18 games and winning only 9.

Of course if they reversed places, Brazil would easily qualify from Asia and Australia would struggle in South America, but ifs are irrelevant.

So you didn't pay much attention to Asian qualifying then?

The thing is, Australia need to win/get good results in a large part of the games to qualify. Brazil for example qualified to the 2002 WC despite losing 6 out of 18 games and winning only 9.

Of course if they reversed places, Brazil would easily qualify from Asia and Australia would struggle in South America, but ifs are irrelevant.

It's winning against dross, though, and there's the added comfort of knowing 2 sides progress to the WC from their final group phase so you just have to be the best of the rest to go through (worst case scenario is that they do poorly and finish third and have to go through the playoffs vs the 5th ranked Southern American side). The standard of sides in South America for the qualification phase is vastly superior. Also, Australia hardly impressed during quali aside from two draws vs Japan - a loss against Jordan and two draws vs Oman is poor imo.
So you didn't pay much attention to Asian qualifying then?
Meaning? It's not ****ing difficult to progress from Asia ffs.

It's winning against dross, though, and there's the added comfort of knowing 2 sides progress to the WC from their final group phase so you just have to be the best of the rest to go through (worst case scenario is that they do poorly and finish third and have to go through the playoffs vs the 5th ranked Southern American side). The standard of sides in South America for the qualification phase is vastly superior. Also, Australia hardly impressed during quali aside from two draws vs Japan - a loss against Jordan and two draws vs Oman is poor imo.

Meaning? It's not ****ing difficult to progress from Asia ffs.

Your complaints about Mexico are duly noted. Complaining about qualification during the second day of the World Cup, I mean ffs. Croatia are there and they managed to lose to Scotland twice. I'll happily have their route.

Gratuitous "you're a clown" post.

Yeah sorry, you guys had the mammoth task of overcoming the likes of Oman, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Oman, Jordan and Iraq to get in. Must've been so hard :(

Erm, I haven't complained at all about the qualification though have I? Just saying that Asia isn't a harder qualifying route than Europe/South America. Don't see how you can argue otherwise.

I'd imagine Australia would be the equivalent of a team like Scotland in European World Cup Quals. Unlikely to do it but always have a chance. So yeah they are fortunate to have the route they have. Has the Qualification recently (in terms of world cups) changed? Heard that Australia had only qualified 4 times yet have done it the last 3 times still, which would suggest it has become easier in the last 10 years or so.

I'd imagine Australia would be the equivalent of a team like Scotland in European World Cup Quals. Unlikely to do it but always have a chance.

Yes, and equivalent to Ecuador or Peru in South America, probably would qualify half of the time here.

Archived