Article on Football Manager from the Guardian

Its a great piece. There have also been replies from football clubs to FM fans / gameplayers who have applied for a vacant manager's job on the basis of a successful FM career.

The story of the pregnant wife bursting into tears when an FM gamer announces he has been sacked (in an FM career not real life) is a classic as is the addicted student having his game disc broken in front of him

There is a big thread somewhere which if read will have you wetting yourself with laughter. It includes a few sad stories of FM gamers getting divorced by non-understanding wives who become upset by the devotion given to the game by their husbands and not them, to some funny stories of FM Gamers reaching an FM cup final and dressing up in a suit and waiting until 3pm / 745pm before starting the match.

If anyone can find this thread do post it here - its absolutely hilarious and a great example of the cult following the game has

"There is a genuine sense of achievement when, for instance, you complete your first giant-killing in the FA Cup despite the fact that essentially all you've done is defeated a load of pixels on a giant spreadsheet."

Bloody charlatan!!!!! :herman:

"There is a genuine sense of achievement when, for instance, you complete your first giant-killing in the FA Cup despite the fact that essentially all you've done is defeated a load of pixels on a giant spreadsheet."

Bloody charlatan!!!!! :herman:

He also forgot to mention that on these occassions such an event is normally followed by the imaginary post match interview "in my mind" whilst sitting on the pan...or is that just me :D

Great article, reminds us all, no doubt, of some great stories which we have bored our non-FM-playing friends with over the years (or is that just me?) I like the fact it mentions some of the legendary players like Ibrahima Bakayoko and Cherno Samba (both of whom I signed!) My friend and I were having a conversation about FM recently and were talking about the old versions. I asked him:

"Did you ever sign T..."

and before I even finished the question, he interuppted with:

"TONTON ZOLA MOUKOKO!"

"Football Manager 2013, our most recent game, has been our most successful to date – 1.2 million copies sold on PC and Mac and over 10 million illegal downloads in the past year. "

See, now that makes me angry, 10 million illegal downloads - I'm PAYING for my addiction, other people are getting their juice for free. For all those illegal downloads, there should be some buried code where a couple years into a save, all their players get ankle-length skirts in the ME, and their assman is replaced by their grandmother.

See, now that makes me angry, 10 million illegal downloads - I'm PAYING for my addiction, other people are getting their juice for free. For all those illegal downloads, there should be some buried code where a couple years into a save, all their players get ankle-length skirts in the ME, and their assman is replaced by their grandmother.

Or just their game corrupts if it is illegal after a certain time

Interesting to see a link in the comments section below the article to Jonathan Wilson's Metacritic comments which were pretty scathing.

Surely this isn't the same Jonathan Wilson who has just won The Blizzard FM league & mocked another manager who let their assistant take over because they were losing? The sentence about training sliders is also strange considering there is only one slider on the training panel.

I somehow don't think it is.

Also, a marketing query. Why isn't the Blizzard link plastered all over these forums? Extremely interesting experiment that I'm sure would find a lot of readers.

Surely this isn't the same Jonathan Wilson who has just won The Blizzard FM league & mocked another manager who let their assistant take over because they were losing? The sentence about training sliders is also strange considering there is only one slider on the training panel.

It can't possibly be Mr. Blizzard and god of Inverting the Pyramid, whom I used the editor to create as my scout with 20 TK.

This is a bit disconcerting though:

He'll be telling us the fat beardy fella who brings us the FM14 in late December isn't real next :herman:

Wow at last a bit of perspective. More credit to SI for trying would be deserved but the way real football is shoehorned into the restrictions of FM has always irked me especially when that word "simulator" is ill advisedly banded around. Its a game, and as a game CM0102 actually plays better. FM has become more complex without actually improving, a doomsday scenario for me. Also back to the Guardian piece, 1.2 m sales, 10m illegal downloads? Is that right? SI's Ministry or Information has always told us how the DRM was required and effective, this suggests not.....

Archived