Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My personal concerns at this point are where are the goals going to come from, and how well will we do defensively without Lucas.

Same here was going to post pretty much the same thing as those two areas where the big problems i think everyone saw last season.

We only scored 72 goals last season (42 in the league) which is rubbish anyway. We've let go of players that contributed 31 of those (18 in the league) and in the main they were bit part players even last season for various reasons.

Add in the fact we have more games this year it seems we are piling more pressure on Suarez and hoping pretty much some talented but inexperienced young forwards come good.

It's not been a bad Transfer window but there is a glaring hole STILL in regards to a Defensive midfielder and proven goal scorers.

Having slept on it I still have concerns.

I am all for balancing books and think that FSG are trying to be responsible on that front especially having had their fingers burned last year by Kenny Dalglish's train wreck of a transfer policy which has set the club back by years.

However, we have a glaring shortage in the striker department, one that could severely dampen our prospects for the rest of the year. I think a little flexibility especially around Dempsey which was never going to be a bank breaker would have been welcomed.

All for a bit more prudence after last years nonsense but not for the sake of a couple of million, to secure a proven premier league player to sure up a position we are desperately short for.

also need to consider that BR was brought into to change the way we play, you have to back the manager under those circumstances or it becomes a bit pointless.

as someone else notes the Borini transfer sticks out a bit now. Not blaming anyone, as I'm sure BR thought he'd be able to bring in more than he has, but we could have had Dempsey and Mirallas for about £1m more

Agree Rafa, the Borini deal looks expensive, if you think that we bid £4 million for Dempsey add that to the £11m we spent on Borini we could have reinvested that £15m in a better manner.

Really think BR has been screwed over here and been made to look silly, he even said in a press conference he would have to be a 'nutcase' to allow Carroll to go without a replacement. I bet he is fuming today.

They need to start working on the finance for deals in January now so we don't face this shambles again then because surely we cant trim the squad much further.

Time for Joe Cole to get himself fit and step up.

Anyone else think that that chap from Hearts who scored against us and has signed for Rangers could have been a decent punt, looked very tidy.

Suarez aside

Assaidi - no appearances. No goals for the club

Cole - 20 appearances, mostly pretty bad, sent on loan for not being good enough. Tried to loan him out again. 2 goals for the club.

Downing - so bad he's been relegated to LB. 2 goals for the club.

Borini - 2 league appearances, 5 total. 1 goal for the club.

Sterling - 4 league appearances, 7 total. No senior goals.

Yesil - no appearances, only 1 first team appearance for Bayer. No senior goals.

Morgan - 1 appearance in Europe. No senior goals.

Pacheco - 14 appearances, the last 2 years ago. Tried to send out on loan again. No senior goals.

worried.

Just read a tweet from a bbc reporter. Brendan Rodgers was only told late on that his £20 million transfer budget included wages and signing on fees.

Late on last night, you mean? Even so, thats plenty of budget to sign someone.

Wonder if this is almost a Rafa-esque move by BR, i.e make it look like the owners have screwed him by basically saying if you dont back me to sign the players I want I will dig my heels in and leave the squad short.

I dont know where you get the nerve to slag off the current owners who are still shoveling the **** off the floor from our previous owners. They are trying to do everything right to make the club solid and I dont blame them for being apprehensive about spending money. Yeah, £3m extra on Dempsey doesnt seem much but they are still going about things the right way.

You keep your opinion and I keep mine. Nerve.. pthyi.. for our clubs sake I do hope you are right but not looking bloody likely.

Rodgers removed approximately £8m from Liverpool's wage bill in the final 24 hours of the transfer window and raised a further £4m from the sale of Adam to Stoke City plus loan fees.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/01/liverpool-fail-clint-dempsey-financial-constraints

tbdg - i think Tony means in total, which makes sense if you look at net spend and the wages saved.

The problem with the sell to buy approach for Liverpool is that they havent really got anyone to sell anymore that isnt essential to the future of the team. So we now have a measly transfer budget.

From the outside looking in, last season seemed to be the splurge to try and get into the top four - the problem is that we over paid for everyone of the big money signings and are now stuck with mediocre players with a meagre re-sale value.

I think its a long road ahead.

Literally furious with Dalglish right now.

God this thread :rolleyes:.

I think Rodgers went about things the right way in the transfer window. He got rid of ageing players or players stuck on high wages which were eating up our wage budget. He has replaced them with younger players on cheaper wages.

We get rid of players that people have been begging us to get rid of and people still whinge :lol:

God this thread :rolleyes:.

I think Rodgers went about things the right way in the transfer window. He got rid of ageing players or players stuck on high wages which were eating up our wage budget. He has replaced them with younger players on cheaper wages.

We get rid of players that people have been begging us to get rid of and people still whinge :lol:

No body is bothered about the players that have gone, its that the squad is now thread bare. Christ! Are you being deliberately obtuse and one eyed about things.

Rodgers said yesterday that he needed more players. He said he would have to be a nutcase to let Carroll go without getting a replacement. Its obvious to everyone we needed more depth upfront.

Thats the issue and its not a hard one to understand.

No body is bothered about the players that have gone, its that the squad is now thread bare. Christ! Are you being deliberately obtuse and one eyed about things.

Are you skipping over comments and just responding to the ones which you choose, completely missing out on what people have posted?!?!

Comments have been complaining the lack of activity in themarket last night, but hours before they were delighted at who we had got rid of. My response was in relation to that!!!

You really need to get off your high horse.....and when you put a comment throwing some sort of insult towards me, there is no need to delete it because you are worried about someone pressing the report button.

Are you skipping over comments and just responding to the ones which you choose, completely missing out on what people have posted?!?!

Comments have been complaining the lack of activity in themarket last night, but hours before they were delighted at who we had got rid of. My response was in relation to that!!!

You really need to get off your high horse.....and when you put a comment throwing some sort of insult towards me, there is no need to delete it because you are worried about someone pressing the report button.

No he isn't and actually made valid point to you.. and since your avatar shows "Anfield is my church" than how about turn a page on that bible.. the book is old as our last premiership

SRL88, your comment is essentially pointless because no one is moaning about the players that have gone, or that he has got rid of players on astronomical wages. Everybody is glad about that - you following so far?

The issue is that we needed to strengthen in the final third, we are glaringly short of fire power and people are concerned about this, whilst still happy we got rid of the dross - still with me? The getting rid of the the dross was meant to facilitate the signing of non dross.

It is possible to be simultaneously pleased with some aspects of our transfer dealings whilst disappointed with others.

Just ask if you dont understand.

(oh and as for your petty comment on the end about my editing of my post, I decided that your posts alone more than emphasized my point and that there was really no need for me to state the obvious)

wow this zeke is a ****ing moron, and to stick out as one in this thread takes some doing, wd sir.

What is your problem? You don't like people other views than your own? ...

Insult all you want.. been on these boards way longer than you have and most likely been following more matches than you have also.

Just saying that nothing wrong with rebuilding, nor saving, nor giving youths chances... all for it. Than again if we slip any further down in the table than we are screwed.. money wise also.

A lot of debate over these owners at the moment. Are they mugging us off or are they just ****ing ****?

I'm a big fan of theirs. I think. From day one the PR has always been good. I've agreed with quite a few of their managerial decisions and at the end of the day they saved the club. I also feel they deserve patience as they learn the game and patience as they try to address the stadium situation.

But there comes a point where you just think 'these fellas might be well intentioned but they're just ****ing clowns'. I think i'm getting to that point a bit now. If we don't rectify this horrible transfer window in Jan and very quickly announce what's going on with the stadium I think it's going to drive plenty of people away.

Somebody said earlier that BR has been screwed and made to look an idiot. I'd have to agree.

Not quite sure what the board are playing at. BR openly said himself he would be crazy to let Carrol go and not get a replacement andt there is no way he's going to make himself look like a fool saying something like that. That means either there was a massive communication breakdown, or the board lied. Either way it's bad.

Been a real good feeling around the club lately but that got squashed yesterday. No doubt some people will see it as some genius play, by the board, and claim to understand some sort of 'big picture' which us mere mortals could never hope to fathom. I'd just call it a complete **** up though, and somebody somewhere, got it very, very wrong.

I just think its daft to focus more on the negatives of the last few hours rather than looking at the bigger picture and the bright side of things based off the work the club has done overall in the window. I admit that we are light upfront, but I believe we can live until January when we can look at things then.

I just think its daft to focus more on the negatives of the last few hours rather than looking at the bigger picture and the bright side of things based off the work the club has done overall in the window. I admit that we are light upfront, but I believe we can live until January when we can look at things then.

I agree with this. I think our Starting XI is better than the one that ended the season but it also concerns me the club is so blasé about ensuring the squad is solid enough to challenge for 4th. Letting Carroll go on ****ing loan and then subsequently yesterday... well it truly was a farce.

but we could have had Dempsey and Mirallas for about £1m more

£1m that we spent on deadline day on a random 18 year old striker...

Very odd indeed.

He ABSOLUTELY should have went to Madrid when Mourinho took over. I actually feel half angry he didn't.

I completely agree. It would have been great for him, for us, for Madrid, for English football.

Its by looking at the whole picture that you look at the positives and the negatives and dont brush over one with the other.

Massive Positives: trimming the fat and wages.

Massive Negative: not signing any forwards yesterday.

How do you know that we can live until January, an injury or suspension to Suarez and we literally have no centre forward with any real first team experience in the premier league?

Late on last night, you mean? Even so, thats plenty of budget to sign someone.

Wonder if this is almost a Rafa-esque move by BR, i.e make it look like the owners have screwed him by basically saying if you dont back me to sign the players I want I will dig my heels in and leave the squad short.

£20 million budget including wages and signing on fee for the whole of the summer window not just last night. Brendan thought he had money to spend but wasn't until late he was told that the budget included wages etc.

I think this window was pretty sensible for you from a 'you are heading somewhere' point of view in the sense that the Manager obviously has an idea and has so far been allowed to do what he wants (within a harsh financial reason) but you removed plenty of wages and that's not to be sniffed at.

You just hope that this time next season you still have the same Manager and you can see more pieces of the puzzle. The pay off for the restrictions in the transfer window appear to be reduced expectations on challenging for 4th place.

You should always be around the top 5-7 and a half decent cup run and nice little run into spring in the UEFA Cup then this time next season the reins will no doubt be released a bit more

I'd love to see Carroll playing overseas, think he could do surprisingly well.

For a guy that everyone seems to talk about as liking a beer down the pub and all that his attitude seems very good, I think all through this Liverpool thing his attitude has been good and when he has come on he's really been into it and giving 100%, no strops and sulking on the pitch at all

I'd love to see Carroll playing overseas, think he could do surprisingly well.

I think that could depend on which country it was for obvious reasons. If he was in Spain I think he would give free-kicks away all the time because the referee's seem to give a foul for the slightest of thing.

Archived