Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The last thing the should be doing is a January splurge. That's when silly money gets thrown about and we should stay well out of it after the last time we dabbled.

Maybe if we did our business before deadline day we wouldn't panic buy and get taken for a ride in the Jan window.

the owners got conned into massively overspending by a manager who hadn't been tenured here for very long and thought he could buy his way back into the top-4 in one go.

BUT WHY WON'T THEY DO IT AGAIN?

added borini, sahin, assaidi and allen. signed skrtel, agger and suarez to extensions. the prudent play is to let this squad adapt to br's tactics, see where they are in january, and address real needs then rather than imagined needs now.

nobody is asking for them to go on a massive spending spree, it's more the issue we've let Carroll go and yet can't cough up the extra £3m for Dempsey, when we are desperately short up front. nobody is asking for them to go and spend £35m on a striker, just shore up our attacking options so we can compete in the league and europa. i don't think that's a massive asking for a new manager given how many players we've sold and got off the books.

we're basically reliant on two young people we haven't even seen yet performing, a 17yr old continuing his form for the season, and Boring massively picking it up. we really needed some experience upfront

paying off debt, tony?

Thought the bank took over Liverpool as H@G couldnt pay the interest on the debt so FSG paid what the bak was owed and Liverpool were left with £30 million working debt. I could be wrong so could someone please explain to me what is happening to the club why have we released so many players and not bought 1 in?

How the hell can Southampton, Stoke etc spend more than us with smaller stadiums smaller fan base less sponsorship money and less money from sky?

Only 5 clubs have spent more money than us this season, all of which finished above us. You do realise the transfer window existed before today and we actually signed players right?

We barely have a squad to adapt to it, Dave.

I disagree although I can see both sides. we have some strength, but without the depth that would make us comfortable. we also need to start blooding some youngsters (remember when someone said we had the 2nd best academy system in europe after barcelona and everyone in here jizzed buckets for weeks?) and see who's ready to make the step up. this season is the perfect season to make that happen because expectations are still manageable, new coaches and systems are being put in place so everyone's on more equal footing, and we're in enough comps that everyone has a chance to impress.

here's the thing: I was accused a couple of weeks ago for being in the bag for dempsey because I'm american. at 6m, I think he would have been a value buy but it's not my call. I've seen too many andy carrolls and jermaine pennants to automatically assume a quiet transfer window is necessarily a bad one.

I agree with the Carroll loan. We have changed system and he is a player that Rodgers clearly didnt want. Why keep him around?!?! Its just a shame that we havent brought anyone in.

The last thing the should be doing is a January splurge. That's when silly money gets thrown about and we should stay well out of it after the last time we dabbled.

I never said splurge. I favor a calm, strategic approach where you stick to your valuations of players and don't get caught up in market forces. guys like llorente might even be a better buy in january than they are now since it looks like bilbao are going to sit on him.

here's the thing: I was accused a couple of weeks ago for being in the bag for dempsey because I'm american. at 6m, I think he would have been a value buy but it's not my call. I've seen too many andy carrolls and jermaine pennants to automatically assume a quiet transfer window is necessarily a bad one.

it's not about it being a quiet window, it's about us being drastically short in one position, their being an absolute bargain available who wanted to come to us and who we were obviously interested in, and us not stumping up the extra £2m. BR has been on about bringing people in all week and imo has been made to look a bit of a fool. No one was ecstatic about Carroll or Pennant, can't really compare Dempsey or our current situation to those two.

you have to wonder what BR has been told over the last week. He seemed certain that he was gonna be bringing someone in, yet it appears the board weren't willing to stretch beyond £4m? Why were we even attempting to go after Dempsey in that case rather than focusing our attention else where? And why was an approach to Sturridge left so late? All seems quite odd.

So until January, the first team squad is this:

Keepers (2) - Reina, Jones

Defenders (7) - Johnson, Kelly, Enrique, Skrtel, Agger, Coates, Carragher

Midfielders (6) - Lucas, Allen, Sahin, Gerrard, Shelvey, Henderson

Forwards (6) - Suarez, Borini, Assaidi, Sterling, Downing, Cole

Added to that lot a number of young talents like Robinson, Flanagan, Suso, Morgan and Yesil.

I still think we are at least one quality forward player short of being able to cope with 3 games a week. Really can't afford to lose Suarez for any period of time either.

it's not about it being a quiet window, it's about us being drastically short in one position, their being an absolute bargain available who wanted to come to us and who we were obviously interested in, and us not stumping up the extra £2m. BR has been on about bringing people in all week and imo has been made to look a bit of a fool. No one was ecstatic about Carroll or Pennant, can't really compare Dempsey or our current situation to those two.

but that's what panic does to you in the moment. I was said to be in the bag for dempsey because I spoke out in terms of him being good enough for us when a vocal number of people in this thread said he was too old, the wrong fit and not good enough. people want us to sign "someone" rather than specifically him and that's exactly the same sort of situation that led us to pennant.

also, I don't believe it's a money or a cheapness issue and I doubt rodgers would not be allowed to get his man over the difference of £2m. fsg have a well established history in american sports of spending when spending is needed. there's no reason to expect that they would change that aspect of their personality just because it's a different sport. it's complete conjecture, but it seems reasonable to me that they had a value of the player and the sum total of the transfer fee, wages, and spot on the squad meant that they would prefer to leave that space open to be addressed later rather than pay what they believe is over the odds now. this is a group that moved out kuyt, aurelio and maxi in a single window. I don't believe they're opposed to adding a 29-year old player in the middle of a youth revolution but they would insist on doing it under their terms.

you have to wonder what BR has been told over the last week. He seemed certain that he was gonna be bringing someone in, yet it appears the board weren't willing to stretch beyond £4m? Why were we even attempting to go after Dempsey in that case rather than focusing our attention else where? And why was an approach to Sturridge left so late? All seems quite odd.

I agree there. BR isn't silly enough to let Carroll go without ironclad assurances that the funds were there to bring someone in. My guess is that they assumed that they could get dempsey for four million and didn't expect spurs to nip in and bid six. Which leaves us without much cover. We will have to make do, the midfield and the rest of the team needs to step up and contribute. Gerrard is more than capable of getting 10/15 goals if he is played high enough up the pitch.

but that's what panic does to you in the moment. I was said to be in the bag for dempsey because I spoke out in terms of him being good enough for us when a vocal number of people in this thread said he was too old, the wrong fit and not good enough. people want us to sign "someone" rather than specifically him and that's exactly the same sort of situation that led us to pennant.
Well fair enough about other people but I've wanted to sign specifically him since we were first linked and am gutted he's gone elsewhere so cheap

also, I don't believe it's a money or a cheapness issue and I doubt rodgers would not be allowed to get his man over the difference of £2m. fsg have a well established history in american sports of spending when spending is needed. there's no reason to expect that they would change that aspect of their personality just because it's a different sport. it's complete conjecture, but it seems reasonable to me that they had a value of the player and the sum total of the transfer fee, wages, and spot on the squad meant that they would prefer to leave that space open to be addressed later rather than pay what they believe is over the odds now. this is a group that moved out kuyt, aurelio and maxi in a single window. I don't believe they're opposed to adding a 29-year old player in the middle of a youth revolution but they would insist on doing it under their terms.

personally i think the increased chance of finishing 4th and getting champions league money are well worth the risk of the additional cost of Dempsey. I think he's an absolutely fantastic player who can control attacks, create and score, and would have really pushed us into challenging with Arsenal and Spurs

it totaly get and agree with what you are saying about spending for spendings sake, but in this particularly case of Dempsey i honestly think it was a no-brainer to get him, and the potential increase in revenue to the club on balance was worth the increase in fee.

im also tootaly drunk right now so sorry if that doesnt make sense

Am glad we didn't panic buy, no idea wtf we were doing with Dempsey, if we really wanted him I can't believe that we wouldn't stump up the money for him, and if we didn't want him why bother putting in a stupid little bid.

Would love it if we brought Owen in.

We're proper in trouble if Suarez gets injured.

Don't really know what to say, we aren't as bad off as some in here seem to think. ( I was maybe a culprit of this thought also but with time I have calmed down a bit :D )

We have made some real good improvements in the middle of the park and we have got rid of some real dross also. Losing Carroll is a bit of a blow to me personally but I can still understand why it has happened, high wage, doesn't suit the style of play and needs to be playing week in and out. 15-20 minutes every now and again isn't going to cut it here, esp when at times, he can be very frustrating. He will strive at West Ham as they will do nothing but play balls into the box for him.

We also have to remember how we kept players like Agger and Martin here, signed them to long term contracts along with Luis. Thats another plus point considering most thought they were away. Gutted we couldn't stump up the cash for Clint but I'm sure we were never going to have a bid of 6m accepted after the alleged tap up. Maybe we were right to not play ball, make a stand after previous mistakes.

Hoping the likes of Suso, Sterling , Morgan and to a certain extent Pacheco make a claim to a spot.

Am glad we didn't panic buy, no idea wtf we were doing with Dempsey, if we really wanted him I can't believe that we wouldn't stump up the money for him, and if we didn't want him why bother putting in a stupid little bid.

Would love it if we brought Owen in.

We're proper in trouble if Suarez gets injured.

Cant believe people would srsly want Owen back! I do agree that im happy we've not panciked bought some random though

that said we overspent last year. it would seem the new owners naively believed their counsel. but it would seem the cull we saw at the back end of last season was them saying never again.

i am honestly at a loss to see a post like tony's (though i probably shouldn't be) proclaiming the new owners have put no money into the club. they have.

i also saw someone making a comment about moores. it is well documented that it was getting to the point that the moores family couldn't prop liverpool any more.

i would say this window in some ways increases my faith in fsg. they are willing to act. they seem to have a financial plan in their minds. the only problem is how long are fans willing to wait for liverpool to be rebuilt.

if it means another 5 years of uefa cup runs and fa cup runs i will wait. it strikes me that a huge portion of our fans really have no idea how the g&h period hurt us. and also last season.

if it means another 5 years of uefa cup runs and fa cup runs i will wait. it strikes me that a huge portion of our fans really have no idea how the g&h period hurt us. and also last season.

not just crippled us, but did it just as other teams were making dramatic strides forward, metaphorically doubling the amount of distance we'd need to go just to catch up. take this exact same situation and plant it in 2004 when rafa took over and who'd disagree that our chances of finishing 4th wouldn't be twice as good at a minimum?

Archived