Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't really see how you can call this transfer window shocking. Its been a rather good one when you consider everything.

looking at it charitably, the club got rid of almost literally every player the fans wanted them to (with the exception of cole, who we can't give away), signed extensions to the players the fans said were most important, and addressed some quality and depth needs, just not enough.

in terms of the club following the will of the supporters, would be harsh to give that effort less than a b/b+ imo.

this is also why last season i was so against most of the fees paid. some here said it wasn't our money so we shouldn't care.

yeah i really cant stand that attitude. wasting a lot of money on players that obviously weren't worth what they paid so clearly impacts future signings.

To be honest, we were one forward away from having probably our best window ever.

i agree with this, i just feel that one forward was so vital that it was worth the investment. that one forward would have left our squad looking the best it's been in 5years+, and really even longer when you consider we never had proper back up for Torres. it just seems like we have an almost perfect window then someone dropped the ball late on

Once again, was quite impressed with Downing last night. First 20 minutes Hearts kept trying to box the play in that area and he dealt with it okay. He was a pretty good outlet going forward. Obviously there's no way he should play there if we play a top half Prem side, but for teams we feel we're way ahead of at home... I like it.

it's the end of a long week so my brain is mushy. no troll, but who's the last true liverpool academy project who was given significant run with the first team and made the most of it? is it really gerrard? I think kelly's on the cusp but not quite there yet.

Spearing's not done badly for himself in the grand scheme of things, I think he works hard enough that he's made the most of the opportunities he's had and is probably pretty close to his potential.

Other academy guys have gone on to regular Premiership football, just not really played a lot with us. I don't think we're that different to other top clubs in that sense though.

Surely asked before, but how come we're so close to Blackpool? They're like our feeder club.

It's an hours drive. Young players who don't want to relocate don't have to. And we just happen to have produced two or three speedy, direct wingers who aren't quite good enough for top 6 football. And Holloway loves speedy, direct wingers.

the owners got conned into massively overspending by a manager who hadn't been tenured here for very long and thought he could buy his way back into the top-4 in one go.

BUT WHY WON'T THEY DO IT AGAIN?

added borini, sahin, assaidi and allen. signed skrtel, agger and suarez to extensions. the prudent play is to let this squad adapt to br's tactics, see where they are in january, and address real needs then rather than imagined needs now.

Great post right here.

Amazing how people can have so many different views on one thing. :D

I would actually rate this window about 8/10 tbh. Saved some massive money on wages, rid of players we didn't need/want. Signed some solid replacements and resigned others to longer contracts. How can you complain about that.

Wages saved over the next year is estimated at 14m. Not sure how accurate that is but that's a pretty good deal.

yeah i really cant stand that attitude. wasting a lot of money on players that obviously weren't worth what they paid so clearly impacts future signings.

though it seems there may be some who don't link the two.

i agree with this, i just feel that one forward was so vital that it was worth the investment. that one forward would have left our squad looking the best it's been in 5years+, and really even longer when you consider we never had proper back up for Torres. it just seems like we have an almost perfect window then someone dropped the ball late on

we are going in with fan unknowns. at the same time i just cannot believe that where we find ourselves is not a position that br didn't think we would be in. i just cannot imagine that fsg would screw over their new manager in the first 3 months of a 4 /5 year arrangement. my thinking is that br knew what the parameters where. he made his early moves (eg borini). then hoped enough funds would be raised through sales. whn carroll was loaned, it meant a sturridge loan becomes a preferred option.

Andy becomes an even bigger problem in terms of FFP. Assuming a 5 year contract, he still stands at 28m in the books. it may be 2 - 3 years before we can sell him without a negative impact on the books. so the calibre of forward we can bring in may be blocked by the decision taken by kenny and comolli.

it's the end of a long week so my brain is mushy. no troll, but who's the last true liverpool academy project who was given significant run with the first team and made the most of it? is it really gerrard? I think kelly's on the cusp but not quite there yet.

i think i agree with the warnock shot if you are talking about overall making a name for yourself. spearing being loaned to a championship club surely doesn't count.

as for a player that stays and benefits liverpool, then clearly mr liverpool.

I think the thing is that we have a reserve team full of young talented players that we're rightfully proud of but we're afraid of depending on in case of injury/suspension/schedule congestion. the optimistic side is that if they can meet or exceed expectations then our squad is magically much stronger and deeper and we didn't have to spend an extra penny.

morgan-yesil-sterling

coady-suso-pacheco

robinson-wisdom-wilson-flanagan

gulacsi

take your chances, kids :cool:

though it seems there may be some who don't link the two.

we are going in with fan unknowns. at the same time i just cannot believe that where we find ourselves is not a position that br didn't think we would be in. i just cannot imagine that fsg would screw over their new manager in the first 3 months of a 4 /5 year arrangement. my thinking is that br knew what the parameters where. he made his early moves (eg borini). then hoped enough funds would be raised through sales. whn carroll was loaned, it meant a sturridge loan becomes a preferred option.

Andy becomes an even bigger problem in terms of FFP. Assuming a 5 year contract, he still stands at 28m in the books. it may be 2 - 3 years before we can sell him without a negative impact on the books. so the calibre of forward we can bring in may be blocked by the decision taken by kenny and comolli.

i think i agree with the warnock shot if you are talking about overall making a name for yourself. spearing being loaned to a championship club surely doesn't count.

as for a player that stays and benefits liverpool, then clearly mr liverpool.

yeah, I guess (and this makes the bar higher, and therefore more unfair) what I meant was that if he was moved that it was because of the transfer fee or another positive reason rather than did a job for a while before we upgraded quality. not trying to compare our record to other clubs since frankly I don't know how many players from other clubs generally come through the ranks internally. just fantasizing about having, say, 2 or 3 kids from the list I just posted really stake their name on the team sheet rather than meekly do their best and wait to be sent to leicester or brighton or wherever.

508969_Europa_League_Team.jpg

This for the next while then?

Subs/Back Ups : Jones , Kelly , Coates , Carragher , Assaidi , Henderson , Cole , Shevley , Sterling , Suso , Downing , Morgan and Yesil ?

Allen isn't defensively strong enough to play that role. This is exactly the problem we had last season when Lucas was injured - with no adequate replacement Dalglish stuck Adam there, at which point his average season turned into a terrible one. Now Allen is a better player than Adam (I don't think anybody would dispute that), but his play will be stifled somewhat in that role, nor is it the best use of his ability. Against City he did fine until they changed formation slightly and were more attacking, at which point we started to get overrun and came under some pressure. Against a more attacking team and away from home I think he'd struggle a bit.

508969_Europa_League_Team.jpg

This for the next while then?

Subs/Back Ups : Jones , Kelly , Coates , Carragher , Assaidi , Henderson , Cole , Shevley , Sterling , Suso , Downing , Morgan and Yesil ?

So if we have an injury or need to change things during a game we are relying on an unproven teenager in Morgan and Yesil. Lets hope we dont have any more injuries in midfield and players can play 90 mins every game :(

I'd argue that allen has a better partner than adam had in sahin. also kenny's system was far more static whereas br should have more focus on organized team pressing making that "dm" role less defensively dependent and allowing allen a bit more freedom.

So if we have an injury or need to change things during a game we are relying on an unproven teenager in Morgan and Yesil. Lets hope we dont have any more injuries in midfield and players can play 90 mins every game :(

quick question: how do unproven teenagers become awesome young starlets?

quick question: how do unproven teenagers become awesome young starlets?

You blend them in slowly you dont throw them in at the deep end which is what will happen if Suarez gets injured or we are chasing a game and searching a goal.

They play first team games, usually.

No, they perform in the reserves. Then they will perhaps get a League cup game start or some cameo league appearances. I can't think of the last time we had a youngster come through that hadn't performed for a bit in the reserves first (as Sterling, Kelly, Flanagan all have - hell, Kelly has was performing for the England U21s before he got regular games for us).

This thread. :D

I'm fairly happy with our business, will give young players a chance to come in and get some games under their belt, a core failing under every manager since Rafa's last year. Rodgers has been great, all the right noises and none of the wrong ones.

Start displaying some patience ffs.

yeah, I guess (and this makes the bar higher, and therefore more unfair) what I meant was that if he was moved that it was because of the transfer fee or another positive reason rather

we will either run his contract down, or look to sell him for more than his accounting value

he scores 15+ goals for the hammers and we get 20m+ and we take that deal i reckon

than did a job for a while before we upgraded quality. not trying to compare our record to other clubs since frankly I don't know how many players from other clubs generally come through the ranks internally. just fantasizing about having, say, 2 or 3 kids from the list I just posted really stake their name on the team sheet rather than meekly do their best and wait to be sent to leicester or brighton or wherever.

i wasn't at odds with this part

Archived