Football Manager 2012 TV Advert

I don't see what all the fuss is about… I don't think it's great, but it's not some hideous abomination as people are making out. It does what it's supposed to do, I guess.

Still, I would have thought the voiceover could say a little more than just "the world's best selling management game is back <10 seconds of silence> welcome to the greatest job on Earth, etc.", I think it'd be better with that big gap filled by something more than just the music.

It doesn't seem as awful as a lot of people are saying, but I can't imagine it's gonna grab people's attention so much either.

I'm very disappointed that the only game I play is represented like this in the world, this year had a lot of features that could be easily converted in a fantastic commercial.

Manage anywhere, anytime feature: A country boy who is traveling over the world and witnessing all the different approaches in football. (Being half Belgian and Italian, the way that the commentators celebrate a goal is immensely different)

More animations: Could be linked with Maradona (hand of God), with better details you see more.

The new tone: A parody on teamtalks, Trappatoni being the funniest :D.

Brand new tutorial: A father that is learning his Son to play (So that somebody who didn't bought the game previously because it's was too overwhelming thinks, "Wow, now I can finally buy this game.")

Maybe SI should make a competition for creating the best online advert?

I don't think its selling the game, its just advertising a release date?

That said I'd have thought something punchy, crisp and hard hitting is what you want in a trailer......this is just an animated magazine advert. Wasted opportunity I think

NEXT YEAR.....SEGA should invite / run a competition to use the FM gamers genius. I'm sure a much better result would occur

The "advert" doesn't even show you what it's about. A football pitch and a Football Manager 2012 box at the end - that's all it is. It's terrible to be honest.

adverts never show what stuff is about. are you even watching tv? :,)

I agree with You, it is really weak comparing to the last years tv ad - which I really liked and was waiting for something even better this year.

However I was wondering whether it wasn't like this:

They concentrated on making the game very good in 95% and 5% on the tv ad.

So if the game is ready and the bugs are fixed then I don't care about the tv ad :)

I preordered the FM2012 even though I said I wouldn't do that after 2011... Damn I'm addicted ;)

I don't think its selling the game, its just advertising a release date?

That said I'd have thought something punchy, crisp and hard hitting is what you want in a trailer......this is just an animated magazine advert. Wasted opportunity I think

NEXT YEAR.....SEGA should invite / run a competition to use the FM gamers genius. I'm sure a much better result would occur

I shouldnt think there are too many habitual purchasers of the game who are not aware of 21/10/11. Anyone else need the "advertising" to tempt them to buy - which this fails on.

Could be a masterstoke though,...make a cheap Ad, air it during big matches, find it scheduled next to the skybet Ad - bingo, those who dont realise think it is s two part FM AD.

With MLS Cup 2011 coming up in a little over a month or so, have you guys given any thought to a quick spot before/after the game, or even during the halftime show? Might be a good way to drum up some interest across the pond...

pretty basic; I agree with people holding off on the outrage, because really it's not meant to be some big cinematic thing. I do think it lacks any real reason to make people get up and do something on the spot, though. It would be a perfectly servicable ad if after all the reviewer comments and stuff you said 'Don't believe them? Go to www.footballmanagerdemo.com and try it yourself' .

If you made a dedicated website for the demo, you could give people watching an advert something concrete to do as a response to the advert (esp if they're sitting at home watching the football with a laptop on their lap to while away the pre-game punditing) and you can also track the success of the advert by counting the number of hits you got on the demo-dedicated website in the minutes after broadcast.

So yes, I have no beef with the advert, but I think for it to be effective it ought to be linked a little more directly into the other promotional stuff you'd do to release a game...

and I'd register the footballmanagerdemo domain ahead of next year. You'd be surprised how many more people will respond to a 'go to this specific website to find out more' than will hear about the product and put the tiniest bit of effort into researching it without being told explicitly where to go. People are basically sheep with delusions of competence... if you want them to try the demo, you need to say 'the demo is HERE'.

Not the most enthralling advert ever. Required one guy and After Effects and a voice over.

But I understand that SI don't have the same resources as say Sky, or a betting shop. Perfectly understandable that you'd keep it within a low budget.

People who know about the game will be informed of the new game - they probably already know. People that want to find out more will find out more.

The advert is efficient, not spectacular or anything.

But I understand that SI don't have the same resources as say Sky, or a betting shop. Perfectly understandable that you'd keep it within a low budget.

Surely SEGA pays for it, as they are the publisher. Doesn't really matter though, you don't need millions to create a good TV ad.

I don't see what's so bad about it? It's short, simple, and you know what it's about because it says "the worlds best selling management game is back", then not much later it says "welcome to the greatest job on earth...football manager 2012", plus the music is decent. Not as bad as many here are making out

I don't see what's so bad about it? It's short, simple, and you know what it's about because it says "the worlds best selling management game is back", then not much later it says "welcome to the greatest job on earth...football manager 2012", plus the music is decent. Not as bad as many here are making out

I just felt it lacked imagination, which, to be fair, is something you could say about a lot of ads. Past FM ads have been really quite good, but this one didn't really do anything.

They're track? They are what? Is that some new super cool phrase like "that FM is so track!" or did you really mean "their" ?

oh the ad... my exact reaction...

"what a crap advert"

I think you need a new creative team on that brief guys :thup: (and a new English teacher for Bertie ;) )

They're track? They are what? Is that some new super cool phrase like "that FM is so track!" or did you really mean "their" ?

oh the ad... my exact reaction...

"what a crap advert"

I think you need a new creative team on that brief guys :thup: (and a new English teacher for Bertie ;) )

For the record, I didn't actually write the text and would never make such an amateur mistake :p

Have corrected the OP!

For the record, I didn't actually write the text and would never make such an amateur mistake :p

Have corrected the OP!

tbf Bertie, SI have mixed up "effect" and "affect" for 20 years, "they're", "there" and "their" are light years away from being mastered :lol:

But we will all still buy it !

sooooo i dont see the problem to be honest. Most people who play Fm know what it is about and dont need a 2 min advert telling us, 20 seconds for the advert is Quite possibly a great way to remind u its out soon.

1, no "we" won't "all still buy it" but that's another thread ;)

2, the problem I have with the advert, from a creative angle, is it doesn't tell the viewer anything except the latest version of FM is out on Friday. An advert by it's very nature should be designed to increase sales and exposure by telling people why they need this product in a memorable way. FM's advert doesn't do that, therefore IMHO it's crap! A memorable advert is one that people talk about, not just at the time it's on but at work, down the pub, on the telephone, the famed "word of mouth" holy grail. I don't see many people talking about the FM advert in the same way...

Archived