Football Manager podcast series 5

I think people just want more about FM. I dont mind the ocasional banter about "real life" football but it does drag on but I thought that was because it was about trransfers Iv already heard about and spoke about with friends and folk at work. But Ill keep listening and while Im writing up on the PC at work it makes time go bye. So still a thumbs up from me.

Also I dont think Miles can really go too much into detail about the new FM either.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not an hour and half to download. The podcast is 1.5 hours long.

It's too long to listen to. Short bursts, we did a study in work and the most people were willing to listen to was between 17 and 23 minutes.

Concise. To the point. Fun.

Yep, my bad, typo on my part.

Podcasts that last significantly longer than 30 minutes are a bit of a bind to be honest. I can listen to a half hour podcast on the way to work or during a lunch break or some thing. A 90 minute, very topical podcast is heavy going. Only Kermode and Mayo's film podcast get's a bye on that front because I can at least save those and listen at leisure. IN 2 weeks time I won't care what people think about the transfer window just gone because it will be fairly obvious by then how it's gone.

Meh, I listen to longer podcast when I exercise. Or make food. Or play FM. Or anything really; it's not like they need my unequivocal attention. :)

That being said, listing transfers was a pretty drab segment. Long-running is fine with me but that's assuming it's actually a good listen throughout.

Not an hour and half to download. The podcast is 1.5 hours long.

It's too long to listen to. Short bursts, we did a study in work and the most people were willing to listen to was between 17 and 23 minutes.

Concise. To the point. Fun.

It were a study of 12 year olds then?

It were a study of 12 year olds then?

I remember seeing something similar that a class of university students will only maintain their optimal attention levels for approximately 20 minutes. That's not to say you ignore everything that's said and start trying to flick pencil shavings at the person sat next to you, just that your level of attention drops slightly.

IIRC, it's something to do with how long your short-term memory can hold this information before you need to start processing it.

:D :D

I remember seeing something similar that a class of university students will only maintain their optimal attention levels for approximately 20 minutes. That's not to say you ignore everything that's said and start trying to flick pencil shavings at the person sat next to you, just that your level of attention drops slightly.

IIRC, it's something to do with how long your short-term memory can hold this information before you need to start processing it.

:D :D

i'm sure i watched a program years ago that mentioned a childs concentration span is about 15 to 20 minutes at a time. i would expect an adult to be greater - but its not like they are expecting you to take everything in and pass an exam at the end to see if you were truly listening. :)

The New Podcast is now available through the iTunes store. If you're a subscriber it should download automatically.

If not, it's not showing up yet in the store (iTunes is notoriously slow at syncing these things!) but it should do within the next hour or two :)

Any new info about FM2012 in last podcast ?

Miles says if your listening to it after this monday then announcements will of been made, so in the next 2 days stuff should be announced (I was not listening fully :D)

8 minutes in when he said that fwiw

Is this a football MANAGER podcast or just football transfers? Just been talking about ttransfers, boring really.

It's the Football Manager podcast in that it's run by the Football Manager team, but it discusses both the sport of Football and the Football Manager game. :thup: It's going to be mostly transfers atm, 'cos there ain't much else happening, see? As soon as anything big happens, it'll be discussed. It's not boring anyway, it's informative and it's also useful for anyone who's already planning for next season's Football Manager.

Last season Juventus sold their half of his contract to Genoa. This season he went to Zenit.

Ah. thanks for the info.

It's not boring anyway, it's informative and it's also useful for anyone who's already planning for next season's Football Manager.

I'd agree normally but an hour and forty minutes was really stretching my person level of interest. Especially as it was just transfers again.

• 2 weeks later...
Any features announced?

1) 'how to scout nation' in the Tutorial

2) something complicated about how home-grown status is calculated

3) players will now leave the pitch when subbed at different speeds (i.e. walking off/running off)

4) player search screen now has advisor hints

5) when a scout finishes his assignment, there is now a 'restart assignment' button in the news item

6) agent fees paid used to be under the 'other' section in the finances screen; there is now a separate section for these

7) the tone system that was already announced. There'll be a blog on this soon.

8) can now set squad rules for continental competitions created in the editor

9) minor French language error fixed

10) play-off winners are now listed in league history page instead of team who finished third

11) 3D stadia have been improved and seats can be the same colour as the home team's kit. There will be a video blog on stadia.

12) set-piece takers will now indicate what kind of delivery it will be in the 3D match engine (i.e. near or far post for corners)

13) 'how to make quick tactical changes' in the Tutorial

14) new press conference question for when you sign a player who has played under you before

15) team fine for six yellow cards in a match in leagues with that rule

I think that's all of them!

• 2 weeks later...

The latest podcast is now available through iTunes. As always it might take an hour or two for it to sync to the store, but if you're subscribed it will be available straight away!

Miles Jacobson, Studio Director of Sports Interactive talks to friends, colleagues and journalists all with one thing in common - an obsession with Football. In this edition, Miles talks footy with guests Danny Lynch (Kick it Out!) Darren Lewis (Mirror Football) and Ivor Heller (AFC Wimbledon), as well as revealing new information about Football Manager 2012.

good point you start off on, the abuse I see the Arsenal players receive (not just them, all footballers) pm Twitter Is disgusting, Some people take things way to far with the abuse they send. Only 10 minutes In but good talks so far

Some of the twitter stuff I see is disgraceful, it appears that so long as people feel they will nit suffer any repercussions (getting nicked or smacked in the face) they suddenly become the toughest guy on the planet, heck we see on this forum all too often & we all have a common interest.

Archived