Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wishing that a player breaks his leg is mega classy, well done.

Also, moaning and whinging about spending £38m on a good player :D What a joke. I'd like to see us spend £3.8m on a player let alone £38m. There's loads of clubs that cant spend £3.80 ffs. Poor old Chelsea and their £38m and £32m signings :( :(

It was hyperbolic :rolleyes:

The whole point is that he really isn't needed and isn't a priority in any way, shape or form

It was hyperbolic :rolleyes:

The whole point is that he really isn't needed and isn't a priority in any way, shape or form

For years RW was a priority due to only having Kalou there. Now that Kalou is gone, RW isnt a priority?

For years RW was a priority due to only having Kalou there. Now that Kalou is gone, RW isnt a priority?
Marin can play there, Ramires has shown he did well there in the 4-2-3-1 system and Sturridge showed in a 4-3-3 that he excelled at RW. Don't think it was that high on the list of priorities (RB and ST that are squad players are needed, and possibly another CB before delving into the possible purchase of a right midfielder)

@matt1389 - Hazard and Courtois will start, Lukaku will proabably feature at some point and iirc KDB is still injured (?)

Hulk covers the RW and striking positions, same as Sturridge can. It's been made clear Torres is the main guy, we just have to deal with that and carry on. Marin, Sturridge and Hulk offer us great cover across a variety of positions.

If Torres gets injured you push Hulk or Sturridge up front and the other/Marin to the right. If Torres and Mata/Hazard are injured at the same time, we can play Hulk, Sturridge and Marin. Along with Lampard, Mikel, Ramires, Malouda and Meireles we have great cover through the centre and out wide. And depending what happens with Lukaku, KDB, McEachran and Kakuta, we could have even more cover with our youth players.

The price is ridiculous, the concept isn't that outrageous.

The only problem the Hulk signing is where does it leave Rambo in it all?

With Lampard excelling in the past two months in the pivot position alongside Mikel and playing as a deep-lying playmaker sort of player, I can't see him getting dropped at the start of next season nor can I see Ramires-Lampard happening as both like to get forward and Ramires isn't anywhere near as good defensively as Mikel (who I rate as the best anchor man in the Prem) and I'm unsure of how well the Mikel-Ramires dynamic will work but we'll find out soon enough I guess.

FWIW, £38m could've gotten us something like a Schurrle+M'Vila or Willain+M'Vila.

The only problem the Hulk signing is where does it leave Rambo in it all?

With Lampard excelling in the past two months in the pivot position alongside Mikel and playing as a deep-lying playmaker sort of player, I can't see him getting dropped at the start of next season nor can I see Ramires-Lampard happening as both like to get forward and Ramires isn't anywhere near as good defensively as Mikel (who I rate as the best anchor man in the Prem) and I'm unsure of how well the Mikel-Ramires dynamic will work but we'll find out soon enough I guess.

FWIW, £38m could've gotten us something like a Schurrle+M'Vila or Willain+M'Vila.

Personally I imagine it will come down to form and injuries. Between Mikel, Ramires, Lampard, Hulk, Hazard and Mata you'll have 6 starters for 5 positions ... potentially 5 for 5 if Hulk is used as a like-for-like replacement for Drogba; meaning Torres is forced to fight for a starting berth.

Barring serious injuries the real loser out of this is going to be Meireles.

A little optimistic methinks, especially the second one :D

How I see Chelsea lining up:

---------Torres---------

Mata----Hazard------Hulk

------Mikel---Ramires----

--Cole-Terry-Luiz-Ivanovic

----------Cech----------

Bench:

Turnbull

Cahill

Hutchinson

Romeu

Meireles

Lampard

Sturridge

Not really, I mean the word out of Shakhtar was that Willian's ours for the right price (roughly £18/19m) and M'Vila should cost no more than £20m and there's you're £38m (we've never been properly linked with M'Vila, I was just saying how the money could've been used more sensibly).

I also wonder if £38m would've been enough to get Lucas Moura.

Personally I imagine it will come down to form and injuries. Between Mikel, Ramires, Lampard, Hulk, Hazard and Mata you'll have 6 starters for 5 positions ... potentially 5 for 5 if Hulk is used as a like-for-like replacement for Drogba; meaning Torres is forced to fight for a starting berth.

Barring serious injuries the real loser out of this is going to be Meireles.

How I see Chelsea lining up:

---------Torres---------

Mata----Hazard------Hulk

------Mikel---Ramires----

--Cole-Terry-Luiz-Ivanovic

----------Cech----------

Bench:

Turnbull

Cahill

Hutchinson

Romeu

Meireles

Lampard

Sturridge

We have so many players now for mid and attack. Just need a decent RB. And thats it. And possibly sell Essien

If Roman wanted Willian and M'Vila for 38M, he would do so AND still buy Hulk for 38M. Its not like he's forced to choose how he spends his money, hes got enough to do whatever he wants. People acting as if money spend on one player is money lost for another. Not as long as its up to Roman..

Not really, I mean the word out of Shakhtar was that Willian's ours for the right price (roughly £18/19m) and M'Vila should cost no more than £20m and there's you're £38m (we've never been properly linked with M'Vila, I was just saying how the money could've been used more sensibly).

I also wonder if £38m would've been enough to get Lucas Moura.

Already have Mata and possibly Hazard, Lucas would be a signing for a more stocked position than Hulk

Same position Hulk is more suited to, has experience of playing in and is also cheaper.

Neither Lucas nor São Paulo want any transfer though. They say he will only leave in 2014.

That is a really great video. Has been such an amazing season. Shame I am missing the first few games of the season due to weekend work :( but I am hoping they will be give me some flexible hours around then.

Also,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-signing-eden-hazard-flopped-860734

What a horrendous article. Hazard didn't run the game like everyone was expecting but to me he looked very dangerous when he got the ball and made some very clever passes that could have been converted into goals. I knew things like this would pop up if he didn't score a double hattrick but seriously, it's a friendly and it's hardly like he was invisible the whole game. You can sum the article up where it states he had awful pink boots on, despite the picture at the top quite clearly showing them as bright bloody orange.

That is a really great video. Has been such an amazing season. Shame I am missing the first few games of the season due to weekend work :( but I am hoping they will be give me some flexible hours around then.

Also,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-signing-eden-hazard-flopped-860734

What a horrendous article. Hazard didn't run the game like everyone was expecting but to me he looked very dangerous when he got the ball and made some very clever passes that could have been converted into goals. I knew things like this would pop up if he didn't score a double hattrick but seriously, it's a friendly and it's hardly like he was invisible the whole game. You can sum the article up where it states he had awful pink boots on, despite the picture at the top quite clearly showing them as bright bloody orange.

Surely written by some Manchester supporter...

Anyways other article says Lukaku looked good when he came on. how was he?

He did look quite good tbh. He had a chance that was well blocked by Cole and was unlucky to be caught offside from a Fellaini pass. Had some good touches and generally put himself about. I do hope we send him to a good club on loan or really use him as another year in the reserves really isn't what he needs. He needs either another Prem or similar league club where he gets regular games.

Also sad about McEachran as I do wonder where he is going to fit in now. Was our brightest prospect for some time but surely he is too small to play as one of the midfield players in our 4-2-3-1? Unless he could be used further up the field but I doubt it. That's the one thing I think we lack at the moment, properly bringing through the youth players.

http://vimeo.com/43267411 Quite emotional when I watched this.

That video is ****ing amazing. Much more emotional watching the final now than when it happened, just watched it with goosebumps and a tear in my eye when on the night I was doubled over rocking back and forth until the penalties when I was just pacing around the room going 'not again, not again...'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jun/02/belgium-eden-hazard-chelsea?newsfeed=true

Sums up today's performance rather well. Lukaku was quite decent when he came on - after his 1st touch of the ball which was horrific (and I thought it was gonna be another one of those days for him) he did well, his linkup play with Moussa, Hazard and Fellaini was good and managed to create some opening sfor himself. Hazard looked much more dangerous cutting in from the left, ridiculously rapid over 15/20 yds when running at a defence. Also, he's fairly strong for his stature/build (Townsend was back to his **** talking best when describing Hazard as 'lightweight' today when he was the opposite).

EDIT - I see we're trying to build a Belgian side then, apparently, the rumours about getting Fellaini have resurfaced with Lukaku going to Everton on loan (http://www.lesoir.be/sports/football/2012-05-31/apres-hazard-fellaini-a-chelsea-918961.php)

He did look quite good tbh. He had a chance that was well blocked by Cole and was unlucky to be caught offside from a Fellaini pass. Had some good touches and generally put himself about. I do hope we send him to a good club on loan or really use him as another year in the reserves really isn't what he needs. He needs either another Prem or similar league club where he gets regular games.

Also sad about McEachran as I do wonder where he is going to fit in now. Was our brightest prospect for some time but surely he is too small to play as one of the midfield players in our 4-2-3-1? Unless he could be used further up the field but I doubt it. That's the one thing I think we lack at the moment, properly bringing through the youth players.

Fully agree with McEachran sadly

Fully agree with McEachran sadly

Much as I'm always pessimistic about the chances of an English youngster at Chelsea, McEachran isn't really at all threatened by the new signings. He's a more natural fit for one of the two more withdrawn midfield positions in a 4-2-3-1, where Hazard, Hulk and Marin would all go into the three behind the striker. McEachran's real problem, in that regard, is his lack of body weight, as you need a certain amount of sturdiness to compete further back. His competition is effectively the same as it was last year: Ramires, Mikel, Meireles, Lampard, Romeu and Essien. Meireles and Essien will hopefully both be gone by the start of the 2013/14 season, and Lampard probably won't last a lot longer due to his age, so if the Financial Fair Play rules force Abramovich to cut back his expenditure, McEachran have another loan next year (hopefully actually playing) before competing for his place in XI aged 21. Sounds about right, if insanely optimistic given the club's history with this sort of thing.

Much as I'm always pessimistic about the chances of an English youngster at Chelsea, McEachran isn't really at all threatened by the new signings. He's a more natural fit for one of the two more withdrawn midfield positions in a 4-2-3-1, where Hazard, Hulk and Marin would all go into the three behind the striker. McEachran's real problem, in that regard, is his lack of body weight, as you need a certain amount of sturdiness to compete further back. His competition is effectively the same as it was last year: Ramires, Mikel, Meireles, Lampard, Romeu and Essien. Meireles and Essien will hopefully both be gone by the start of the 2013/14 season, and Lampard probably won't last a lot longer due to his age, so if the Financial Fair Play rules force Abramovich to cut back his expenditure, McEachran have another loan next year (hopefully actually playing) before competing for his place in XI aged 21. Sounds about right, if insanely optimistic given the club's history with this sort of thing.

You got a point but because McEachran hardly featured for Swansea looks like he will have to go out on loan before he is even considered for selection. Ideally I am thinking Aston Villa but we don't want another repeat of what happened at Swansea. He definitely could bulk up a bit but he needs to have a starting birth at whatever team he goes out on loan to. If it is a Championship them them so be it, then if he impresses maybe he could be guaranteed another loan spell at a Premiership team where he will be a first team starter consistently but I look at the teams in the Premiership for next season and the only team I see him getting a regular spot is at Wigan or Bolton.

You mean Mata over Marin btw :D

I cannot wait to see the attacking trio of Mata, Hazard and Marin behind Hulk. I would prefer to give Hulk a chance in all honesty. This is predominantly because I strongly feel that Torres should not be entitled to fill the boots of Drogba as a result of winging after the day we won the European Cup. He should work hard in training like the other strikers such as Sturridge. A short burst of form at the end of 2011-2012 season should certainly not enable a first team spot. Sorry for the rant people lol. Up the Blues!!!

You can from that link. Click Download below the video, next to Follow, Friends, Stats button and choose your desired format.

Awesome, hadnt seen it yet :thup:

Its still amazing to realize we've actually finally won the CL. Especially in this day and age with Barca and Madrid so strong. Even more, it was us that eliminated Barca. So incredibly epic.

For people thinking we aren't complying with FFP, the club knows what they are doing. The £70m transfer fees of Hazard/Hulk will be amortised over 5 year contracts. On the accounts it will be £14m per year. Plus their approximately £100k a week wages which will amount to near £10m a year. With prize money of over £50m + over £20m from going into the group stages + extra sponsor money that is a lot of extra money to cover our accounts. Not to mention the commercial windfall from Hazard/Hulk signings. Hypothetically if we sell 700k shirts for both of them combined at an average of £50 a shirt that £35m right there (all hypothetical of course). But FFP is well factored into all this.

I am sure we have someone or some people who are very good with money working all this out :D

Abramovich will know what he can spend as what is the point in spending all this money if we then get banned from the CL. Shame we haven't got plans in place for a new stadium already as this would help meet the targets as well.

For people thinking we aren't complying with FFP, the club knows what they are doing. The £70m transfer fees of Hazard/Hulk will be amortised over 5 year contracts. On the accounts it will be £14m per year. Plus their approximately £100k a week wages which will amount to near £10m a year. With prize money of over £50m + over £20m from going into the group stages + extra sponsor money that is a lot of extra money to cover our accounts. Not to mention the commercial windfall from Hazard/Hulk signings. Hypothetically if we sell 700k shirts for both of them combined at an average of £50 a shirt that £35m right there (all hypothetical of course). But FFP is well factored into all this.

It doesn't work like that in regards to shirt sales. You guys have a deal addidas to make your shirts and they pay you £20m a season for the privilege. They then make all profit from sales of the shirt. Chelsea even have to buy them from Addidas to sell them in their own club shop etc.

And there's no way you would sell 700k from two players, maybe all your sales combined.

Archived