The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4pts behind Reading, 6pts behind Soton, but they have played a game less.

Still, they should have been out of sight at the top by now.

Thanks.

Yeah with the squad they have, you would think they would be running away with this League.

I expected them to thump Leeds today with their away form.

that one man was the ****ing referee.

even bbc solent thought both pens were poor.

we were the better side in that match for sure. unbelieveable (for those wondering. i got my lionsplayer working also had bbc solent on....)

leaving this thread for a week now as im sure MLG will argue that due to the average attendance figures in 1984 southampton deserved to win. **** off

we were the better side in that match for sure. unbelieveable (for those wondering. i got my lionsplayer working also had bbc solent on....)

leaving this thread for a week now as im sure MLG will argue that due to the average attendance figures in 1984 southampton deserved to win. **** off

Sounded like we battered you the whole of the 2nd half to be fair plus until we went 1-0 up. Anyway, as neither of us are uber fans like the rest of the people in this thread and only listened on the radio I think statements like "we were the better side in that match for sure" are a bit ott.

That said....hahahahahhahahahahahahahaha. Dodgy pens and Lambert ftw!!!!

Indeed. Nevermind, you might not have to play us next season.

So chuffed tonight. Such an epic way to win :D

Bring on the inevitable defeat away to Hull on Tuesday and then the first of our 4 important remaining home games.

Oh and I've just seen the 2nd penalty on SSN.... ridiculous decision :D

Been to about 60% of Hulls home games despite being a season ticket holder. The travel to/from N Wales is getting a lot more expensive by the week. It was £40 for a round trip when we were in League 2 and it is now £60. I'm fortunate that one of the lads I go with is from Warrington so we car share. Evening home games are pretty tough as I have childcare issues to arrange.

Only been away once this season too - worst performance for 10 years I think

My pass gets shared about (at no cost naturally) so it gets used by someone.

As for that list of top Championship players I am stunned that we don't have a defender on it. One of Mannone, Hobbs, Dawson, Chester and Rosenior should be on there. Football is not just about scoring - we have the best defence in this division and there is literally no need for anyone to even attempt to debate this. We all know these award things are about popularity and no-one from Hull has ever been popular as the North -South divide on that list testifies. Us Northerners are a little tougher - imagine the uproar if the list was dominated by us.

Southern press rule ok!

As for that list of top Championship players I am stunned that we don't have a defender on it. One of Mannone, Hobbs, Dawson, Chester and Rosenior should be on there. Football is not just about scoring - we have the best defence in this division and there is literally no need for anyone to even attempt to debate this.. We all know these award things are about popularity and no-one from Hull has ever been popular as the North -South divide on that list testifies. Us Northerners are a little tougher - imagine the uproar if the list was dominated by us.

Southern press rule ok!

Think it was voted by the managers.

another goal for southampton and a late winner for coventry would be great

Eh? :confused:

Probably one of the worst game's of football I've seen all season today. Ball spent pretty much 90 minutes in the air with Watford dragging us into a horrid long ball game. Not sure how we got a point either with the amount of last ditch blocks by our defenders when Watford looked bound to score. Really could have done with a win but when you consider we lost our last 10 away games I'm not gonna complain at a point :D

Also forgot how much of a graveyard Vicarage Road is, makes the Ricoh look loud... They had some random drummer mascot but none of their fans were joining in with him so we just ended up chanting along to his drumbeat for the entire game which was quite amusing :D

we have the best defence in this division and there is literally no need for anyone to even attempt to debate this.

You've only conceded two fewer goals than us, reverse the scoreline in one of the two matches between us and suddenly our defence is level. The gap isn't big enough to say that it is beyond debate that your defence is better, particularly as we didn't have Gorkss at the start of the season. Regardless, none of our players are on there even though we're currently the second best team in the league, and are Southern. Paranoid Northerner is paranoid.

Eh? :confused:

Probably one of the worst game's of football I've seen all season today. Ball spent pretty much 90 minutes in the air with Watford dragging us into a horrid long ball game. Not sure how we got a point either with the amount of last ditch blocks by our defenders when Watford looked bound to score. Really could have done with a win but when you consider we lost our last 10 away games I'm not gonna complain at a point :D

Also forgot how much of a graveyard Vicarage Road is, makes the Ricoh look loud... They had some random drummer mascot but none of their fans were joining in with him so we just ended up chanting along to his drumbeat for the entire game which was quite amusing :D

Don't worry about the atmosphere at the Ricoh next week, Pompey Bois are in town. I think we'll pretend to score about 5 times, seeing as we can't hit a barn door. Created a hatful of chances towards the end but just couldn't find that final touch. Looking forward to next week though, nice to be playing teams that are around us, feels like we're playing at our level.. :o

undeserved penalties

Really?

1st Penalty

He clearly catches him as this image shows. Of course photos aren't the best for incidents like this' date=' but the video later on also shows the trip.

[img']http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/javaImages/10/f7/0,,10280~10614544,00.jpg[/img]

2nd Penalty

A clear handball don't you think?

0,,10280~10614491,00.jpg

[video=youtube;aFXO8wOiPD0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFXO8wOiPD0&feature=youtu.be

The inevitability of us winning the league, 13 points closed on top spot since Xmas. 28 points from 30, and a team which looks unstoppable. No issues with you finishing second though.

Yes you are in great form, but Saints don't exactly have a poor recent run of form themselves. Last 10 league games for Saints, won 6, drawn 4, lost 0. Plus Reading still have to goto Upton Park and St Mary's.

It is West Ham that are looking vulnerable.

Plus Reading still have to goto Upton Park and St Mary's.

Brilliant, isn't it? That means that you don't have any safety net and your inevitable defeat will allow us to go top! ;)

Terrified of West Ham at Upton Park given their record there and the way they turned us over earlier in the season.

Brilliant, isn't it? That means that you don't have any safety net and your inevitable defeat will allow us to go top! ;)

Terrified of West Ham at Upton Park given their record there and the way they turned us over earlier in the season.

Looking forward to playing at Upton Park and St Mary's tbh. Our away form is magic atm, 4 wins and the draw against Doncaster in our last 5 away games. I totally agree about West Ham looking the most vulnerable though, they still have Reading, Boro, Birmingham, Brighton and Hull who are hunting for a play off spot.

Yep mlg fair enough I'll accept that and I've seen stills and the footage. I still think the first one is harsh as he simply slipped over and had his for poking out. Second one is completely moronic. Disgraceful stuff by Dunne.

It's still incredibly frustrating that we played so well and deserved to win up until the the last 5 minutes and concede two ridiculous penalties (deserved or not the situations in which they were conceded were still ridiculous in one way or the other)... I'd also like to see that incident where Davis handles out the area and get saved by an offside...

Meh that smug git adkins always gets one over on us.

If we survive and this result helps West ham catastrophically miss out on promotion I'm all for it in the long run

Just really hoping that both teams keep up the form all the way until the Saints v Reading game. Will be a cracker! Who do you have midweek? I expect us to lose to Hull so you could well be top.

We have Peterborough away midweek then Blackpool at home next Saturday. It should be an excellent game, hopefully one to rival the 0-0 we had down there the season we went up.

Ha, don't really remember that. I remember a 1-1 the year we went down though. I'm not too worried about your form. We managed to hold of Huddersfield when they were bang in the middle of there 54 unbeaten run. Peterborough and Blackpool can be quite unpredictable, hopefully one of them will take some points of you, either way lets hope West Ham well and truly stuff it up :D

should anyone be interested, in response to people whinging about our record v our rivals, a mini-league between the top 9 looks like this (I think):

Blackpool p13 pts 21

West Ham p11 pts 20

So'ton p11 pts 19

Hull p12 pts 18

Cardiff p12 pts 17

Reading p10 pts 14

Boro p11 pts 14

Brighton p11 pts 13

Birmingham p12 pts 11

btw West Ham's remaining home games are Reading, Birmingham, Boro, Hull, Brighton

massive game tomorrow. need to win.

No worries for you, you are playing Burnley at home.

We have a terrible record away at Cardiff in the Championship, of the last 7 since you won promotion in 2003, we have lost 6 drawn 1. (not including cup defeats/ League 1 defeats at Cardiff)

And the draw came last season to end our losing record at Cardiff.

Away wins at Cardiff, are as rare as home wins against Portsmouth for us. :D

On an unrelated note from the game yesterday. Do any other clubs have the policy of offering student tickets, but not selling them on the gate? Trying to find out what the deal with that is, as not exactly sure why they do it, as I would have been fine to pay the £23 had that been the case the whole time. Was pretty ****ed off with Barnsley when they basically said "You aren't coming in unless you have £23, nearest cash machine is about a 10 minute walk that way". Thankfully only missed the first ten minutes after I stood in their box office queue to get cashback so I could get in.

cardiff booed off at home to burnley at half time. listening on the radio and it sounds like we've been terrible in fairness.

Sounds like we have had lots of possession, a few good chances... and Lee Grant has had little to do at the other end in that first half, according to Radio Lancashire.

Said it was a pretty decent half for Eddie Howes Burnley, but can we turn this good performance into a win.

I was expecting us to be behind by now tbh. :D

Archived