The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

The Championship... (The Championship)

Is upside down.. (Is upside down)

The Championship is upside down,

We're going up with Doncaster..

The Championship is upside down. \o/

Another drab performance, and bummed literally by one of Spains greats. It didn't help that we had Ashclown in goal. Truly awful goalkeeper. We'll know whether we'll be going down next weekend when we play Brizzle, must win but I'm not too fussed. We need to get this season out of the way and start from there.

wp Sebs on the call about going to Lewes, parked up there for a couple of quid and a decent pub by the train station. What I will say though, is Lewes is full of posh ****s. If I end up in a Village like that in my life I hope someone will murder me. Can't stand those posh English towns.

On the AMEX though, what does everyone think? On the outside great, unique etc, but the stands were built with no idea whatsoever. One stand for corporate, then three stands that are tiny, have no ability to make any noise and the gradient of the rows were dreadful. It looked like they had flat packed the stands from the Withdean and shipped them in for the 3 stands around the ground. You can clearly see that stadium was built with no fan input when the atmosphere was negligible. The best part of the ground was that they were selling beer in the ground after the game. Yes, I am easily amused. :cool:

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great win yesterday. Leicester didn't create any real chances, but there was a 20-30 minute period at the start of the second half when an equaliser seemed inevitable. We probably played our best football of the season and scored 3 good goals.

The Hunt-Roberts partnership is as good as the Gorkss-Pearce partnership at the back.

On the AMEX though' date=' what does everyone think? On the outside great, unique etc, but the stands were built with no idea whatsoever. One stand for corporate, then three stands that are tiny, have no ability to make any noise and the gradient of the rows were dreadful. It looked like they had flat packed the stands from the Withdean and shipped them in for the 3 stands around the ground. You can clearly see that stadium was built with no fan input when the atmosphere was negligible. The best part of the ground was that they were selling beer in the ground [i']after[/i] the game. Yes, I am easily amused. :cool:

a lot of cardiff fans slated it the other day after we played them. although they are planning to add to a few of the stands in the summer apparently. it surprised me as i thought it was class from the outside.

p.s beating the wurzels (again) never gets old. unlucky barnzy ;)

Cardiff getting extremely lucky yesterday, thought we deserved at least a point..

Was forced to watch it on the box, my ban from Ashton Gate expires today. After getting arrested against Leeds at home, for the most ridiculous reason ever. The police have turned into utter ******* at football lately.

Cardiff getting extremely lucky yesterday, thought we deserved at least a point..

Was forced to watch it on the box, my ban from Ashton Gate expires today. After getting arrested against Leeds at home, for the most ridiculous reason ever. The police have turned into utter ******* at football lately.

reckon we edged it and were the only ones trying to play football. your main tactic seemed to be taking it in turns to kick p whitts. a draw would've been acceptable but i dont think you can argue with us sneaking it.

why were you arrested?

finally finally finally we had a game against millwall where we appeared to get some luck going our way. millwall deserved something from yesterday, but we've had matches where that sort of things has happened to us so felt like our time to get a rub of the green.

it's the big one on tuesday. youuuuu reds

kindof our own fault. we didnt score out of the 600 chances we created in the first half and our defending was SLOPPY. but there you go.

no matter who he plays for. we never bother closing down Andy Reid

Yeah I noticed that in the car on the way back :D

Have to say found the 'we hate Villa more than you' chant pretty funny :D The game itself really was pretty terrible for the most part.

Was very impressed with Andros Townsend for you, utterly raped Jordan Clarke in the 2nd half.

reckon we edged it and were the only ones trying to play football. your main tactic seemed to be taking it in turns to kick p whitts. a draw would've been acceptable but i dont think you can argue with us sneaking it.

why were you arrested?

Main reason I say we probably deserved a point, was the way you got your goals.. bit jammy you must say ;) But fair play. We're getting ever so closer to the drop.

This was my email to the club, regarding the situation. Everything that happened is explained in this;

Email to the club:

On Saturday, during the Leeds United game, I was taken out of the Eastend by a policeman. In my defense, I did not agree with the reason I was thrown out for. I was taken to Broadbury Police Station in Knowle West where I was cautioned for, 'Using threatening words/behaviour to cause harassment alarm or distress'. I can see it being acceptable if I was standing out from the rest of the City fans in the stand causing trouble, however this was 100% not the case. It was completely unexpected when he grabbed hold of me and walked me out of the stand, I'm not the sort of lad to get into trouble and I'm certainly not the sort of person who gets arrested, I was shocked. At the time this was all happening, it was near enough the whole stand singing this one song which caught this policeman' attention.

If I must make it clear, the song was 'You dirty Northern b*sterds'. What I'm trying to point out is, why did he arrest me? I believe the police have sent a banning request to the club, I just wanted to point out my frustration and believe I've been harshly dealt with. At the time, when he was walking me out, he told me had warned me earlier in the game, if you check CCTV, you should hopefully be able to see that I was NOT spoken to once during the time I was there. Once we got to the station, he also falsely told the sergeant that I used the F word too which was certainly not the case.

To sum up, I firmly believe I have been harshly dealt with and I won't be taking a ban from the club light heartedly. I believe the club have my Season Ticket which I think was collected from the police at the time of the situation. Name is Mike Edmonds, if you are able to forward this email to an appropriate receiver, it would be appreciated.

Mike.

Truly pathetic.

I contacted the head of operations at City, he said I'd be receiving a letter informing me that I will be banned from the stadium till March 11th.

The policeman was 'coincidently' scottish.

Have to say found the 'we hate Villa more than you' chant pretty funny :D The game itself really was pretty terrible for the most part.

Was very impressed with Andros Townsend for you, utterly raped Jordan Clarke in the 2nd half.

Been our best player by an absolute mile in the last three games but we haven't won one of them :D First half was an abomination, was slumped in my chair for the last 15 of it. Second half were marginally better, but both teams were just so toothless.

I also thought Clive Platt was a small, pacey, white striker so was quite surprised when he came on :D

Main reason I say we probably deserved a point, was the way you got your goals.. bit jammy you must say ;) But fair play. We're getting ever so closer to the drop.

This was my email to the club, regarding the situation. Everything that happened is explained in this;

Truly pathetic.

I contacted the head of operations at City, he said I'd be receiving a letter informing me that I will be banned from the stadium till March 11th.

The policeman was 'coincidently' scottish.

You got arrested for that? :D ****ing hell that's pathetic. I'm sure the Leeds fans who were there were incredibly alarmed and distressed by your chanting ;)

2-0 up now :cool: Impressive performance so far as well.

Been our best player by an absolute mile in the last three games but we haven't won one of them :D First half was an abomination, was slumped in my chair for the last 15 of it. Second half were marginally better, but both teams were just so toothless.

I also thought Clive Platt was a small, pacey, white striker so was quite surprised when he came on :D

Yeah Clive Platt is basically Emile Heksey. Seriously have never seen a striker in all my days with less of a goal scoring instinct then Clive Platt. Guy just NEVER shoots, give him a tap in and he'd try and pass it fgs and as for him reacting to any loose ball in the box... That said recently we look a lot more likely to score when he plays as basically all our attacks go through him. Was surprised he didn't start tbh as two little men up front was never going to work for us.

You got arrested for that? :D ****ing hell that's pathetic. I'm sure the Leeds fans who were there were incredibly alarmed and distressed by your chanting ;)

2-0 up now :cool: Impressive performance so far as well.

Tell me about it. Was under section 5, so your words exactly were used. Causing 'alarm and distress to others'. Sort it out ffs.

If 'Using threatening words/behaviour to cause harassment alarm or distress' is a criminal offence, doesn't that effectively rule out every single football chant?

Exactly. As said in the Email, I wasn't standing out from the others in the stand, it was the whole stand singing it. Yet he decided to nick just me at the time.

As I said, Police at football really do my nut in these days.

Yeah Clive Platt is basically Emile Heksey. Seriously have never seen a striker in all my days with less of a goal scoring instinct then Clive Platt. Guy just NEVER shoots, give him a tap in and he'd try and pass it fgs and as for him reacting to any loose ball in the box... That said recently we look a lot more likely to score when he plays as basically all our attacks go through him. Was surprised he didn't start tbh as two little men up front was never going to work for us.

Yeah you did look a lot more potent when he was on, couldn't believe it when the 5'8 guy headed in the goal though ffs. Reckon you have a chance if you can nick a few wins at home, which you look like being able to do going by yesterday.

Nick a few wins? We have to win out at home if we're going to stay up. Which considering we've only lost 1 of our last 8 home games and only have Donny, Pompey, Millwall and Peterborough left at home isn't out of the question. But it really puts so much pressure on those games.

Nick a few wins? We have to win out at home if we're going to stay up. Which considering we've only lost 1 of our last 8 home games and only have Donny, Pompey, Millwall and Peterborough left at home isn't out of the question. But it really puts so much pressure on those games.

Only 4 games at home left? Jesus.. we've got 7 from 11 :D

We're not dreadful away, we just don't look like scoring. We keep the ball well, but beyond that going forward everything breaks down. The Reading and Brighton games, you couldn't begrudge us if the game ended 0-0. That's the only way we'd be getting anything aswell!

that was absolutely dreadful. I don't even know where to begin so I think I'm just going to erase the game from my memory which won't be hard. thank god 4 of our next 5 are away

#

our remaining home games are proper iffy like.

Southampton

Leeds

Hull

Leicester

Blackpool

and realistically we need to win 3/4 of them. :(

you will beat us pal, you have had us in recent times at your ground

we might just be slightly harder to break down than usual due to warnocks defensive master class

This is going to be one of the most uneventful season run-ins for us that I can remember for a long time. It's usually about 75 points to make the play-offs. So we need 27 points from our next 11 games, which is something like 8 wins, 3 draws and 0 losses. Or 9 wins, 0 draws and 2 losses. Unrealistic.

Only 4 games at home left? Jesus.. we've got 7 from 11 :D

We're not dreadful away' date=' we just don't look like scoring. We keep the ball well, but beyond that going forward everything breaks down. The Reading and Brighton games, you couldn't begrudge us if the game ended 0-0. That's the only way we'd be getting anything aswell![/quote']

Yeah quickly running out of home games and when you take into account our away form we really do need to win them all as I said.

Was looking at a home only table and that had us 13th with us still not having played 4 of the bottom 7. Which tbh just shows how truly woeful on the road we've been. We really aren't that bad a team at home and I always fancy us to get something from games but for some reason we just cannot perform on the road at all. Thing is it's not like we have great roaring support to cheer us on at home or anything either :confused:

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D1/away.html

That really is just criminal. The fact that we're still even in with contention of staying up with that away form is miraculous.

This is going to be one of the most uneventful season run-ins for us that I can remember for a long time. It's usually about 75 points to make the play-offs. So we need 27 points from our next 11 games, which is something like 8 wins, 3 draws and 0 losses. Or 9 wins, 0 draws and 2 losses. Unrealistic.

Yeah I know the feeling. Before last season we ended up dropping out of play-off contention in early march and then failing to win any of our last 10 games, going from about 10th-12th to 19th in back to back seasons under Coleman :(

i think we have 7 of our remaining 11 games away from home, which normally would be cause for concern, but our away form is actually pretty decent ( considering where we are in the table :D ), Derby up next, i know they say form goes out the window and all that, but this gives me cause for optimism! http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2011-2012/form-table/full

EDIT, have pompey really only scored 1 goal in their last 6 games? :D they are becoming the new forest :cool:

We don't have any width left, I've said all season that without width in some form you don't score goals/win football matches.

We're currently playing Scott Allan wide (more of an AMC) so he drifts in and Joel Ward on the left (not much of a footballer at all).

We don't have any width left, I've said all season that without width in some form you don't score goals/win football matches.

We're currently playing Scott Allan wide (more of an AMC) so he drifts in and Joel Ward on the left (not much of a footballer at all).

We haven't had any width for years. We've had about 1 winger in the last 6 years (Jordan Henderson on loan who now seems to be a CM anyway). It's why when Thorn took over we switched to a narrow diamond and relied on our fullbacks to provide the width. Which seemed to work out at first but we've now gone back to a conventional 4-4-2 and playing non-wingers out wide. Tbh seemed such an obvious solution but it's a problem none of our last 50 managers seemed to address and we continually played strikers or CM's or FB's out wide under previous managers.

It's exactly why we've never looked like making the play-offs in previous seasons and why we have scored so bloody few goals this season.

If we -5 points of our away record we must be close/worse than you?

You'd still have an away record worth double as many points as ours :D Our record is 0-3-14 fgs :(

2 away games we've been winning this season in the 90th min we've gone on to lose as well :applause:

You'd still have an away record worth double as many points as ours :D Our record is 0-3-14 fgs :(

2 away games we've been winning this season in the 90th min we've gone on to lose as well :applause:

Haha who were the 3 teams who failed to beat you? Shame on them!

Yeah well we're now playing bloody Martin Cranie at LB who's hardly the best attacking outlet :(

But I agree it's hard to be a decent team at this level without some form of width, even if it's only a pacey guy who's pretty ****. Just can't believe NONE of our managers have bothered to sign any wingers, seemed under Coleman all we did every single window was sign more CB's fgs.

Lawrence was good for his loan spell, was actually perfect and we had Utaka providing the trickery from the left. Shame they were managed by Cotterill!

Varney was doing well wide left but he's been injured since mid December and now he's upfront due to lack of options.

Archived