OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

Tim Cahill's jumping at 14 is a bit of a joke i must agree.

I'll give you seven reasons why it's not a problem.

Heading 19

Anticipation 18

Bravery 18

Determination 17

Off the Ball 17

Balance 15

Strength 15

Not many players are going to be better placed, more able to win a header, or more able to direct a header. Jumping is a small part of the equation.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Initial impressions are very positive. The absolutely massive improvement so far is the interaction with players and the board. Makes for a far far more ingrossing and immersive experience. Congrats to all thus far. Only spotted some minor bugs :) Well done SI.

The intro was very good as I said. I have just taken over Arsenal. Bit surprised SI only gave "good youth facilities"? lol For Arsenal? For reals?

The highest for winning the premier league expectation is 19m pounds without playing with the wages and I believe that's too low for Arsenal. May be around 25-30m.

Enough about these little issues. Think it looks quite interesting. great I suppose. Need to spend few hours before I can really take a stand.

Love the pressy with the one click only. Much faster. And the way it sums up is different.

Just got into the first match which is against the reserves. Love the graphics of the 3D!!! much improved. Also when you substitute and new window comes in to confirm it looks very good with player in and player out... very noticeable when you making lots of changes in a friendly.

Loving the demo so far, the chat with players and contract negotiations are fantastic additions to the game. The match engine seems to be good so far, although I have had 4 huge keeper mistakes in 2 games.

Walcott 18 pace, Agbonlahor 20 pace............right.

I do agree with what people are saying about Cahill, he's a monster in the air, but FM has struggled with heading balance lately, so let's see how it works out with the new height/jumping figures before we dismiss it.

• Administrators

Heading 19

Anticipation 18

Bravery 18

Determination 17

Off the Ball 17

Balance 15

Strength 15

Not many players are going to be better placed, more able to win a header, or more able to direct a header. Jumping is a small part of the equation.

Winner of post of the night. Well done! :thup:

Really like the contract negotiations. Man Utd's transfer budget only £17.5 million though... I know it's contentious with the Glazers and everything but Fergie has always been adamant there is money to spend. I think last year United's budget was 55-60 million at the start, and they've only spent 20 odd mill since then, and had a pretty successful season last season - so why the big drop? Also think Nani should be a bit better considering his improvement in the last 12 months. Very impressed though

Loving it atm.

Just one thing that is annoying me is the fact that so many transfers are going on. In the current financial climate and the fact that many clubs such as chelsea and united have said they arent going to sign anymore players unless they feel they really need to. So I think the game needs to calm down in the amount of transfers take place.

Heading 19

Anticipation 18

Bravery 18

Determination 17

Off the Ball 17

Balance 15

Strength 15

That's like me reeling off 7 stats that will make Cristiano Ronaldo a good winger and then telling you that because of those stats, his dribbling doesn't matter.

Tim Cahill has an astonishingly good leap. It's freaky how high he can jump. So why is his jumping 14?!

I don't want to read about how good his anticipation is. I just want to know why a player who is renown for jumping has poor jumping stats.

That's like me reeling off 7 stats that will make Cristiano Ronaldo a good winger and then telling you that because of those stats, his dribbling doesn't matter.

Tim Cahill has an astonishingly good leap. It's freaky how high he can jump. So why is his jumping 14?!

I don't want to read about how good his anticipation is. I just want to know why a player who is renown for jumping has poor jumping stats.

Nothing poor about 14. The whole Jumping thing has been reworked and you'll find a lot of players will have had Jumping reductions anyway.

On a scale of 1-20, 14 is above-average - good, even. And he's a relatively short player himself.

With the reworked guidelines, Cahill is miles ahead of the recommendations.

14 is not poor.

He does have a very good leap, no doubt about it and nobody is arguing. Those other attributes will mean that he is portrayed as per real life, not only having a good leap on him but making sure he is in a great position and has the desire and physique to get him a header and then to be clinical with it.

look, it's not hard to understand why Cahill has 14 for jumping. Jumping in the new game does not mean how high a player can jump; it means how high a player can get. Obviously for it to mean this, height has to be taken into account. Cahill is what? 5ft 9/10"? Keep in mind that 14 is still a very good attribute and with some of his mental stats, Cahill's performance in real life should be represented well in the match engine

First impression was disappointment that MLS wasn't available as a playable league. Ultimately, I felt like my decision to buy the game would hinge upon MLS being sustainable in a long-term game. Admittedly, I haven't read any of the threads in which I'm sure this topic was already raised.

However. Played the English league and I'm really impressed. The contract negotiations are neat; I like the effect agents seem to have on the game. Playing as a lower league team, I found that a good way to find free transfer players was by lookign at the stable of players that agents of my existing players represented.

I'm ambivalent to player conversations... I tried a couple and it seemed quite ordinary.

The most impressive thing, for me, was how smoothly the match engine ran, even on an old computer. It was lovely and everything was swell until the game crashed after 25 minutes.

I still would love to test out MLS before I buy the game, though *hopeful*

must say its looks brilliant, well done si, have so far been on just over an hour just learning the new layout and looking at some of the new features in the game.will have a better look tomorrow as i start work at 5 am so im off to get some kip happy play everyone and once again THANK YOU SI.

I can see where you're coming from, but it's obviously something they have done to balance/improve heading on the game. Tommy Vermaelen has low jumping also (hes slightly taller than Tim, but has a fantastic leap) and hes fantastic in the air thanks to his leap. It's quite odd when you see Crouch has 20 for jumping, and that wouldn't be something I'd give him high marks for, so obviously theres more to it than you would think.

There is no dark skin?!?!?!! You have to be joking me. I went straight to change it in the demo and thought it was weird that there wasn't one. Late night fm'ing is now ruined, well until someone makes a dark skin, never quite as polished as the one's SI make though!

Seriously though, I play a hell of a lot and had a save with no holidaying that took me to 2060 on FM2010, a dark skin really is necessary, the light skin is very blinding!

Game is looking good however! Agent fees seem bloody extortionate though!

ohh finally i cant understand, "jumping" means areal reach (combining jumping and hight) or simply jumping ability ???????????

i wonder if player has 17 there is no matter if he is 175sm or 185

Correct, jumping means aerial reach and is how high a players head will reach. So Zigic, for example, already has a huge advantage over Cahill.

Well first impressions are in and you can colour me impressed. The 3D looks a lot smoother, match stats are better laid out.

Interactions are a lot more varied, I've had two young fellas (at Barca) blow me off on PPM suggestions, and some oily agents tapping me up, though one of them was happy when I accepted his pretty reasonable wishes re his players wages.

There is only one problem so far, the skin is not nowhere near as nice as last years', especially on the news screen. That, with 3 panels side by side, is way too cluttered and blocky.

But well done again SI. You keep producing the goods.

Tactics Screen -> Tactics (Button) -> Edit Set Pieces

There are instructions on the page to help you.

Having major difficulties with this. I get to step 2 - corner takers. I have 2 colums with left and right side then a column under that with a list of players.

First problem - Cant drag and drop onto the left/right side columns. Ok, click on Pkd column for the player? No dice. Preferred foot? Cor ( Short for corner perhaps? ). Nope nothing there. Aha! If I mouse over their name I can click on them. Lets do that. Oh I'm now in their profile page. Which leads to -

Second Problem - Using the back button from their profile page doesn't take you back to the edit tactic dialogue. Oh no, now im back in the tactic proper. Who overlooked THAT?

Just played 1 friendly as Stafford and im very happy bout the look and feel of the game

+ Conversations with players

+ Contract negotiations are great( Even if Stafford are skint and can't afford anyone!)

+ New 3D camera angles and match engine

+ The press confrences have been improved, now i actually want to go to them and meet the media instead of clicking Send Assistant

oh my god, one game in... and i hammer united 4-0 to give me the perfect start :D not going on a signing spree because ive met a bunch of greedy agents, and the players i do sign im puttin effort into finding :D I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Started with Leeds got to say I'm very impressed.

Stats look fairly accurate and media prediction is about right, game engine and new grounds are very impressive.

Detailed contract negotiations are a very nice touch.

Overall after 1:30 minutes of play I've got to say I'm very very impressed.

hi, can anyone help me, this is so annoying!! getting this message when trying to start up the game:

fm 2011 failed to run game cannot set up graphics system

ive already tried updating direct sdk, but same message!

thanks

Archived