OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kompany looks useless, just like he was on fm10, Bellamy is still not VERY fast like he should be, he looks unchanged, laughable. Adam Johnson looks like a joke. Too many players looks the same, it feels lazy, and the ones who really have been good at city, haven't been boosted at all. But players with big names seems to be unaffected even though they have been poor. I'll just have to see it in action I guess. Maybe my eyes are fooling me, but swp seems to have taken another dive in skill since the last game, I approve, although its too inconsistent across the line between other players that should have been lowered too that I'm a bit annoyed.

And the skin is too bright, but I cannot ever remember the game having a good skin.

Kompany looks useless, just like he was on fm10, Bellamy is still not VERY fast like he should be, he looks unchanged, laughable. Adam Johnson looks like a joke. Too many players looks the same, it feels lazy, and the ones who really have been good at city, haven't been boosted at all. But players with big names seems to be unaffected even though they have been poor. I'll just have to see it in action I guess. Maybe my eyes are fooling me, but swp seems to have taken another dive in skill since the last game, I approve, although its too inconsistent across the line between other players that should have been lowered too that I'm a bit annoyed.

And the skin is too bright, but I cannot ever remember the game having a good skin.

Then again you don't compain much do you ?

Some positive notes:

- The new 3D engine and game experience is streets ahead of FM 2010

- Home page layout is easy to navigate and I can already tell I'll hate going back to FM 2010

- Interaction with the media seems better. Just have to wait and see if it becomes super repetitive.

I think the inbox/news merger is going to grow on me. I missed too much interesting news with FM2010, having everything in one place is much better.

The new match engine looks sumptuous and the Post Match screen is awesome - all the key stats right there, along with the league table.

Very impressed in the short time I have spent on it.

Pros:

Big :thup: for the 3D match engine looks amazing, plays amazing.

Loving the agent negotiations although I didnt have to try too hard to get him down on a few things.

User Interface is as good as ever (Feels like 10 but somehow better)

Player and Board talks are great. Talked with Rooney on why I had to put him on the transfer list. (Only wish there was an option to say because your an Ungrateful money grabbing Judas.)

Contract Expiry dates on the club information screen for some reason made me smile:)

Pre Match build up: Love the black bar with writing moving along it (Couldn't think what to call it)

New TV camera angle is great didn't think I'd like but I do. Also different angles shown on replays can't remember weather that was in 10.

Cons:

The Skin too bright for me I'd prefer a darker version Hopefully when the game comes out. If not there will be alternative skins not long after.

The News and Inbox items I liked them separate, For me it now feels all clogged up obviously not game breaking I'm sure I will learn to live with it.

Overall shaping up to be the best FM since....... FM10.3

Agree about Adam Johnson. He should be a lot better.

Adam Johnson and Gareth Bale were two players I checked almost immediately after the game booted up.

Both of their stats could be vastly improved but you don't know what the potential ability of either of them is yet.

• Administrators
hi, can anyone help me, this is so annoying!! getting this message when trying to start up the game:

fm 2011 failed to run game cannot set up graphics system

ive already tried updating direct sdk, but same message!

thanks

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/230210-Football-Manager-2011-Demo-FAQ?p=5998598&viewfull=1#post5998598

Very impressed in the short time I have spent on it.

Pros:

Big :thup: for the 3D match engine looks amazing, plays amazing.

Loving the agent negotiations although I didnt have to try too hard to get him down on a few things.

User Interface is as good as ever (Feels like 10 but somehow better)

Player and Board talks are great. Talked with Rooney on why I had to put him on the transfer list. (Only wish there was an option to say because your an Ungrateful money grabbing Judas.)

Contract Expiry dates on the club information screen for some reason made me smile:)

Cons:

The Skin too bright for me I'd prefer a darker version Hopefully when the game comes out. If not there will be alternative skins not long after.

The News and Inbox items I liked them separate, For me it now feels all clogged up obviously not game breaking I'm sure I will learn to live with it.

Overall shaping up to be the best FM since....... FM10.3

Love this bit, he wants to win trophy's and you won't be winning them for a long time once City's dominance starts to roll.....

Ahh, no evening shift at work and a full evening to test out the demo. How I love my girl and boss for being considerate :D

First impressions: I like the new SI credits, as well as the W7 logo, but I can definitely see much darker skins being made and applied. After a few minutes, I was tabbing out of the demo to rest my eyes. A sea of white on a 24" certain hurts the ol'eyes after a while. That said, the interface looks as clean and sleek as ever. I'm curious why November 12 1975 is the default birthday for user managers...

Not sure if it's the first time I've noticed this, or if it's a new feature (perhaps it's been moved to a new location, but it looks awesome), but seeing the three kits on the team selection is nice. I'm pretty sure it is the first time I've noticed it, though. I feel bad for the person who wrote the 'walkthrough' advisor - I always tell it to leave me alone although I'm sure it's highly helpful. Overview screen and the news screen looks good - I'd like to be able to move a few of the categories around ala the Beeb website (I like the league table on the side, with the news replacing where the league table currently is). Possible new feature for FM11?

I'm not a fan of the stat octagon on player screens - the bright colours just aren't appealing to me. Sorry! Absolutely love that staff state what their best training category is. I haven't investigated it yet, but I wonder if a coach has a preference over what training they take, or if it's done on stats. Also liking that the Ass.Man offers to do a loan report in the backroom advice. Nice little addition there.

Agents - utterly brilliant. I've only done a few, all free transfers so far, but it certainly brings the game to a new level. Also liking that you can interact with the board regarding transfers. I haven't 'risked' pushing the board yet, but the 'conversation' was rather nice. As was the (ever so slight) adjustment that managers can't go shooting around getting transfers. The option is still there, but I like that I can pretend that the board have a say! :p

Connor Wickham looks like he'll be a good player. Awesome for my future Ipswich save :D

Haven't gone into tactics just yet, but it's looking like a huge improvement from FM10 :)

That's like me reeling off 7 stats that will make Cristiano Ronaldo a good winger and then telling you that because of those stats, his dribbling doesn't matter.

Tim Cahill has an astonishingly good leap. It's freaky how high he can jump. So why is his jumping 14?!

I don't want to read about how good his anticipation is. I just want to know why a player who is renown for jumping has poor jumping stats.

Tim Cahill's goals from last season (I've just listed the headed goals)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq41YH4itTU

Goal #1 - The defender behind Cahill jumps higher, but Cahill is better positioned and strong enough to hold him off

Goal #3 - Cahill stoops to head

Goal #5 - Defender in front jumps higher, but Cahill's run off the ball is brilliant and leaves him in acres of space.

Goal #6 - Cahill makes a great run again. In this case, he clearly out jumps everyone and does look very impressive, but no-on else really gets off the ground.

Goal #7 - Doesn't even leave the ground to win the header - just anticipates where the ball will go.

Goal #8 - Again, doesn't have to leave the ground.

Goal #9 - Definitely gets higher - no arguments there. The last angle shows how much more switched on and determined he was than the defenders.

The video clearly shows that his movement and anticipation are bigger factors than his jumping in the amount of headed goals he scores.

Then again you don't compain much do you ?

*sigh* Its perfectly legal critizism, and why do I do it? Because I care about the game. Its my first impression, I'll have pretty of positive to add when I have played the game. Why do reply with such rubbish? You add nothing, no opinion, nothing about what could and should be changed. Whats bad or good. Use your head and contribute instead of this garbage.

Also my Norwegian team Bryne, yes I know its not the most important team around. But there cannot have been a researcher that knows the team, except what they have read on wikipedia. For instance this new player Geir Andre Herrem, most of his goals this seasons have been poaching and headers, and he is no small guy. But still he has 5 in heading, and 17 acceleration and 15 pace. 1 at crossing, 2 work rate, 2 in courage(I know they use a different word but I cannot remember) 1 in anticipation(There has never been a striker in that league with such a low number, its not even 2 division worthy and this is the 1 division) and 5 in strength. They got it completely backwards, he is not fast, but he's a a strong(for his league) poacher who is also a decent header.

I don't except a lot of resources being but into the first division in Norway, but a bare minimum should be excepted, like at least one feature or two of each and everyone, is that too much to ask? It makes that team, and that league pointless as far as the players are concerned, for most of the stats are random.

Another example on that team is Bala, he is quick, very quick, and thats just about all that he brings to the table. Quess what, for the 1000 year in a row, he has 9 in pace.

Don't misunderstand, this is not a rant about(yes I know its kinda misplaced) buffing my team, not at all. Its just soooo very disappointing when your little quick player is the slowest on your team. When you big strong defender, has stats like a little girl. Who does that kind of research? How do they decide what stats to give them? Roll a dice?

Off to play the game, I'm used to the disappointing research especially in Norway. The game has so much more to offer though, and I'm sure I'm gonna love it.( You happy now that I added some positives?:p)

Tim Cahill's goals from last season (I've just listed the headed goals)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq41YH4itTU

Goal #1 - The defender behind Cahill jumps higher, but Cahill is better positioned and strong enough to hold him off

Goal #3 - Cahill stoops to head

Goal #5 - Defender in front jumps higher, but Cahill's run off the ball is brilliant and leaves him in acres of space.

Goal #6 - Cahill makes a great run again. In this case, he clearly out jumps everyone and does look very impressive, but no-on else really gets off the ground.

Goal #7 - Doesn't even leave the ground to win the header - just anticipates where the ball will go.

Goal #8 - Again, doesn't have to leave the ground.

Goal #9 - Definitely gets higher - no arguments there. The last angle shows how much more switched on and determined he was than the defenders.

The video clearly shows that his movement and anticipation are bigger factors than his jumping in the amount of headed goals he scores.

Totally agree with every point you made there. But you just have to watch goal 6 to see his jumping stat should be higher. It's just that simple.

I don't except a lot of resources being but into the first division in Norway, but a bare minimum should be excepted, like at least one feature or two of each and everyone, is that too much to ask? It makes that team, and that league pointless as far as the players are concerned, for most of the stats are random.

Crispin, I don't mean this in a negative fashion. But if it really upsets you have you thought of getting in contact and applying to be a researcher for your team?

And if not, there is always the editor. As much as we try we can't know everything about every player which is why we have such a large research team which we are always looking to improve.

sorry I don't know where to ask..I downloaded the game via Steam and when I clicked ''fm.exe''(steamapps\common\football manager 2011 demo)it says ''this application has failed to start because d3dx9_41.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem.''

I just want to mention that this is a brand new computer..just got it a couple of hours ago so I may not have all of the softwares that I need..if you can help me I'd appreciate it..thanks

BTW-I looked at the ''Football Manager 2011 Demo FAQ'' and couldn't find an answer...

On the subject of the News, I have to say I prefer the new setup, hated having to look through 2 screens to find everything.

The 'news' clutters up my inbox. The only solution is to unsubscribe from 'Nations' which means I can't view it when I want to.

Have to say it's not a dealbreaker as everything else looks really good so far. But it is annoying (and I appreciate I am probably in the minority here).

ok so far ive played the friendly games and first thing id like to say is wow the 3d match engine is sexy imo and with the tv view its hotter lol it just seems smoother and yeah.. atm i know its early days ofc but it seems really good up2 now.

cahill is gay nuff said i win this fight :D

The 'news' clutters up my inbox. The only solution is to unsubscribe from 'Nations' which means I can't view it when I want to.

Have to say it's not a dealbreaker as everything else looks really good so far. But it is annoying (and I appreciate I am probably in the minority here).

I feel the same but we may just learn to love it.

• Administrators
sorry I don't know where to ask..I downloaded the game via Steam and when I clicked ''fm.exe''(steamapps\common\football manager 2011 demo)it says ''this application has failed to start because d3dx9_41.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem.''

I just want to mention that this is a brand new computer..just got it a couple of hours ago so I may not have all of the softwares that I need..if you can help me I'd appreciate it..thanks

BTW-I looked at the ''Football Manager 2011 Demo FAQ'' and couldn't find an answer...

You didn't miss it first time, I just added it! - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/230210-Football-Manager-2011-Demo-FAQ?p=5998701&viewfull=1#post5998701

;)

Let me know how you get on, thanks.

found first problem in my demo game 10 mins in i picked real madrid i arranged a friendly and all my other fixtures disappeared i wonder did this happen to anybody else all i can do is play friendlies ?? Maybe its me but already i see to many similarities to FM10 with a few add-ons i wont be goin back to play it anytime soon cause its not

a game im goin to spend £40+ on when i have FM10 already sorry guys !! ive been a fan and played every game released since championship manager 93/94 !!

You need directx and also make sure you update your video drivers, PCs are usually shipped without any even vaguely recent driver updates.

Archived