OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really like the contract negotiations. Man Utd's transfer budget only £17.5 million though... I know it's contentious with the Glazers and everything but Fergie has always been adamant there is money to spend. I think last year United's budget was 55-60 million at the start, and they've only spent 20 odd mill since then, and had a pretty successful season last season - so why the big drop? Also think Nani should be a bit better considering his improvement in the last 12 months. Very impressed though

I agree with this post - especially with United's starting transfer budget. Although no one knows for sure what United's financial position actually is, we know for certain they sold Ronaldo for 80 million. Valencia was bought for 20 mill and a few players last summer equalled about 20 mill as well. However, a good champ league campaign coupled with an excellent final league position surely means additional funds. 17.5 mill seems very low when taking these factors into consideration.

• Administrators
found first problem in my demo game 10 mins in i picked real madrid i arranged a friendly and all my other fixtures disappeared i wonder did this happen to anybody else all i can do is play friendlies ??

Do you have a screenshot of this? What date did you set up the friendly and who against? Let me know, thanks.

Just negotiating my first real transfer. Got a nice agent who allowed me to lower demands from 7.5k to 6k per week, also decreasing signing-on fees minimally.

Seemed very life-like and it was like actually speaking to somebody, great job SI :)

Yep, I agree. I had one that wanted £15.5m. Ridiculous IMO. The only problem I have had so far.

Yes I have posted in the bugs forum. He wanted £19.5m next and £15m for his player. Crazy - even if I was Man City it would still be crazy - and I am not Man City. What an anti climax!!! Bed for me. Put me right off!!!

First impressions? This game looks amazing, the training especially getting a well overdue remould. I like it, intuitive interface, beautiful match views (TV a favourite at the minute) Only had a couple of games tonight, I'll have a proper session tomorrow as I'm up for work in four hours. Impressed :-)

I have just seen the funniest thing and full credit to SI for this one.

I am playing as Derby and my coach has advised that James Severn should be mentored by Stephen Bywater so I arrange the meeting.

I ask Bywater to mentor and he say yes but Severn says he don't want to be mentored by Bywater. I respond with that I think it will be good for him but Severn says he stands by what he said which led to Bywater's response of...

"I better leave before I say something I will regret" and the meeting ends.

Must say that has been my highlight of the new game so far.

I cannot understand why you are leaving out a dark skin for even the full version ????

Im not being funny but i cant play more than an hour of so with the white skin :(

Other than that its good.

But the skin is the thing i look at all the time! its the biggest feature in the game. PLEASE add a dark skin

I really don't like the new way the positions are shown... all those ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) makes it messy.... Especially © looks just weird....

Gotta agree with this.

Can see the improvements in the 3D. TV view is quite good, but too zoomed in for my liking. I'll prolly be sticking with elevated.

Will play more tomorrow.

No Raheem Sterling for Liverpool :( the kid is brilliant, but at least Frank McParland the best judging ability/potential coach at liverpool says Suso can be a leading prem star similar to stevie g! :)

Sterling isn't in the game because legally he's too young.

• Administrators
how comes on fm10 my match engine was jerky but this year it is not?

There has been a fair bit of optimisation, not to mention improve animations and camera movement which in theory could all make it less 'jerky.'

• Administrators
Oh good. Steam is letting me down. Again.

I am on Steam and pessing the 'Install Demo', it attempts to load it then just brings me back to the first page. Any help?

Try closing Steam down and re-opening it. If that still doesn't work it may be worth accessing it via a different location. Let me know how you get on, thanks.

two slight problems ive spotted, first may not be a problem your end.

http://img651.imageshack.us/i/aleksandarkolarovprofil.png/

using the same screen res on fm 10 i didnt have the scroll bars on the player atts , has the res needed changed on fm 11 ?

and

http://img177.imageshack.us/i/manchestercitymancitytr.png/

if you look at the assignments bit in the bottom right corner you can see theres no scroll bar to get to the bottom assignment

• Administrators

What resolution are you running on your screen? You on laptop/netbook/desktop? What resolution is it set up to run in-game (preferences - display and sound)? Let me know, thanks.

Finally finished downloading and played for half an hour. So here are my first impressions:

- I like the new player interaction and contract negotiations

- The set-pieces wizard keeps us from using some roles more than once (to prevent creating cornerbug-constellations?)

- I actually like the skin. Some screens have been hugely improved

- I like the way the positions are now displayed

- Liedson is now 32 in this version and still gets bought by Real Madrid as every year :D

What resolution are you running on your screen? You on laptop/netbook/desktop? What resolution is it set up to run in-game (preferences - display and sound)? Let me know, thanks.

1360 x 768, like i said fm 10 was fine so its a bit odd

desktop

graphic detail low

windowed

sound off

• Administrators
1360 x 768, like i said fm 10 was fine so its a bit odd

desktop

graphic detail low

windowed

sound off

Is it any different if you change the settings in the preferences? Let me know, thanks.

Some first impressions:

I like the more hands on feel of everything, including the training screen thing (the one with three tactics on it), as the whole idea makes friendlies relevant once again.

I have 5 injuries in my first team already, and it's 21st of July (on the re-read of this, I realised that 2 were already injured at the start though, and it IS pre-season). Apparently, De Jong is also the antichrist as well, and regularly walks around the pitch hitting people with a stick or something, as he's getting booked every game and just injured poor Sweep in training.

There's a slight graphical error on substitutions; if you use the click and drag method from name to name (i.e. SB2 dragged to LCB), the two buttons can sometimes not reset back to the 'unpressed' mouse position (that it, they look like you are still holding after release). I'm on Win7 32-bit with an nVidia 8500GT 1GB with the latest drivers (260.89).

The new match engine is lovely, and really smooth. I seem to be hitting the post more often, and shots from a longer range seem to go in more, but I've only played a few games so the sample size isn't really enough to make a judgement.

I'm a little disappointed that commenting on the players of other teams hasn't been fleshed out a little, especially now that agents have a bigger role, and the contract system wasn't instantly apparent. I kept trying to click the greyed out Confirm Offer button, until I realised that Suggest Terms means suggest to the client rather than have your Assistant suggest possible terms to offer. I suppose that's what I get for not using the advisor, but the thing feels like an internet popup, and is a little annoying. I love the fact that one of my players got a new contract and near immediately sacked his agent (possibly too low, Tevez has been tutoring him). Fun.

A few arguments stats wise, but who hasn't? Opinions game and all that. I was a little sad to not see Malcolm Allison amongst the City legends, but Joe Mercer was.

I don't particularly like the phrase "oil-rich Man City" as I don't see anybody using the same terms for Arsenal or Chelsea or Inter, who also have investment in this industry. However, it's probably accurately portraying the media. Unfortunately.

Overall though, a very polished product, and upon viewing the screens, I was thinking that the new layout of the home/news screen was smashing you in the face with information, but it plays very fluidly and is more informative than brain frazzling.

Had no problems at all with the delivery method. My first time using Steam, and I got 1.5Mb/s speeds at midnight, took about 10 minutes to download. Not happy that for some reason, I can't use Print Screen in the game, but it may well be Steam related. It just takes a picture of whatever is behind the screen. Your Print... option on the menu doesn't seem to do anything either, when printing to a web page.

Ctrl+Print Screen also doesn't work for me either, unfortunately

The other Print error, is referring to the Print Screen option on the FM Main drop down menu. I have selected Web Page, and it creates a HTML file in the selected area, containing only a link to SIGames, some HTML and CSS information, with no actual content.

• Administrators
Ctrl+Print Screen also doesn't work for me either, unfortunately

The other Print error, is referring to the Print Screen option on the FM Main drop down menu. I have selected Web Page, and it creates a HTML file in the selected area, containing only a link to SIGames, some HTML and CSS information, with no actual content.

Yeah we're aware of that, thanks for bringing it up.

Here are my first 4 impressions after playing the FM11 demo for a while:

1. Match graphics: The new TV camera is a huge improvement. Makes you feel so much more involved in the game. Also, stadiums look much nicer and the crowds look more realistic, compared to FM10. Also being able to choose a different camera for replays is a great idea. I've just discovered that elevated cameras can teach me a lot about why I'm conceding some goals.

2. Match engine: Feels as solid as it did in FM10. Actually feels exactly as it did in FM10. I'm sure it has some improvements, but to me, the FM10 match engine was great, and I'm glad it still feels like that. I imagine how I'd like my team to play, and then I feel like I'm able to easily translate this into instructions and see it play out on the pitch. In FM09 I never had this feeling.

3. Interface: Not exactly sure yet. Looks modern and polished. Maybe I got too used to the FM10 interface and I'm not sure if this feels like a big improvement, but at least it doesn't feel like a setback either.

4. Interactions: In FM10 I absolutely hated anything that had to do with talking to media, players, etc. Felt so unrealistic, pointless and slow. I always had my assistant manager handle all of those things. Now they feel more fun with the conversation-style interactions. My only complaint is that after ending a conversation you have to click an extra time to exit the conversation. I'm sure that after 20 seasons into a game I'll truly start hating that extra click that feels pretty pointless. In short, conversations are a good way to improve an area of the game that I have never liked but that I can now tolerate.

hi i have no screen shots !! but i set up the fixture for the 10th of july at home to roma . the fixture is shown up on the main page but not on my fixture list cause i have no fixture list and when i click SHOW NEXT FIXTURE down on the bottom right nothing happend !! hope this helps..

There has been a fair bit of optimisation, not to mention improve animations and camera movement which in theory could all make it less 'jerky.'

I'm quite the opposite. The ME to me is jerky and seeing 'rubberbanding' of ball to and from players feet. I am a FML subscriber and the ME we are using there is much much smoother. I'm playing the demo on the same computer as I play FML on and also I am playing it 'offline from Steam. Very odd!

• Administrators
I'm quite the opposite. The ME to me is jerky and seeing 'rubberbanding' of ball to and from players feet. I am a FML subscriber and the ME we are using there is much much smoother. I'm playing the demo on the same computer as I play FML on and also I am playing it 'offline from Steam. Very odd!

What graphical detail is it set to in the preferences? Let me know, thanks.

Is it any different if you change the settings in the preferences? Let me know, thanks.

if i play full screen with the same res its fine. not to be awkward but i prefer windowed and seeing as the last one runs fine im sure this should too

just thought, on fm 10 i use a downloaded skin, would that make any difference ?

Another minor cosmetic issue: when players are walking along - i.e. after a goal - their heads seem too far forward, making them look like hunchbacks. Especially noticeable with very tall players.

Looking more closely it seems to be their whole upper body that leans forward, actually.

Haha! I just had a great conversation with a reserve player I was looking to offload. He ended up saying he didn't think he could work with me anymore after the way I had treated him and that he should leave now before he says something he'll regret. *laughs* He just couldn't accept the fact he's not good enough to be at the club!

sorry I don't know where to ask..I downloaded the game via Steam and when I clicked ''fm.exe''(steamapps\common\football manager 2011 demo)it says ''this application has failed to start because d3dx9_41.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem.''

I just want to mention that this is a brand new computer..just got it a couple of hours ago so I may not have all of the softwares that I need..if you can help me I'd appreciate it..thanks

BTW-I looked at the ''Football Manager 2011 Demo FAQ'' and couldn't find an answer...

You didn't miss it first time, I just added it! - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/230210-Football-Manager-2011-Demo-FAQ?p=5998701&viewfull=1#post5998701

;)

Let me know how you get on, thanks.

just wanted to let you know that it's working perfectly now(after I installed June2010)

and the game is amazing..works much smoother then 2010:D

Archived