OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

Oh, I did run into quite an annoying problem. I couldn't go to one of my matches. I picked my team and prepared my tactics but when I clicked Submit Team it didn't do anything, the only way round it was to go on holiday. Only in a friendly but this would be an annoying problem if cropped up in the full game.

Have you got a save game before this match? If yes, can you please post this bug to http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/200-User-Interface - you will need to upload the save to our FTP if possible too (instructions found at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/230019-FTP-Details). Thanks.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm on 1366 x 768, so yes, to all your questions

Okay, the minimum resolution supported by the game is 768 pixels in height. When you're playing in windowed mode on a desktop that has a 768 pixel height, the actually FM window size is less than 768 pixels in height as that number is eaten into by the FM window's title bar. The workaround here is to try and not play in maximised mode i.e. restore down the window size (that's the icon next to close window button to the far right), and then try to drag the window upwards so that the title bar is out of view. I know it's not convenient, but if you want to play in windowed mode on the official skin on your setup, this is the recommended method and how I play it on my laptop with a similar resolution when in windowed mode.

Sure this is the wrong place but don't know what term to search.

On the team screen, in older version if you clicked view their was an option of position wich moved the players into two columns rather than one long list. How do i change the view please?

Probably most stupid question you have had all day

Okay, the minimum resolution supported by the game is 768 pixels in height. When you're playing in windowed mode on a desktop that has a 768 pixel height, the actually FM window size is less than 768 pixels in height as that number is eaten into by the FM window's title bar. The workaround here is to try and not play in maximised mode i.e. restore down the window size (that's the icon next to close window button to the far right), and then try to drag the window upwards so that the title bar is out of view. I know it's not convenient, but if you want to play in windowed mode on the official skin on your setup, this is the recommended method and how I play it on my laptop with a similar resolution when in windowed mode.

OK, cool. Cheers.

An editor comes with the full game, use that to fix things you don't agree with.

Then maybe SI should just ship the game with blanks instead of fixing the attributes..we all could enter whatever values we want to. I am not playing as Bayern and i have rarely watched Muller play (except of course at the World Cup) and i have not even checked each and every attribute of all the players. My point was about the explanation that he gave and the explanation that you are giving now. Btw do you agree that Muller's ratings are right?? Boy then Bundesliga sure sucks

On the team screen, in older version if you clicked view their was an option of position wich moved the players into two columns rather than one long list. How do i change the view please?

gone by the looks of it...

I'm a little bit worried that the guys from SI team didn't really find a minute and share their thoughts on 19mil pounds signing fees agent's are asking for. Because to me it really seems unrealistic and this could be a big game breaker!

I'm sorry to say this view type was removed in FM 10, as supporting them after introducing the customisable columns was a nightmare.

Then maybe SI should just ship the game with blanks instead of fixing the attributes..we all could enter whatever values we want to. I am not playing as Bayern and i have rarely watched Muller play (except of course at the World Cup) and i have not even checked each and every attribute of all the players. My point was about the explanation that he gave and the explanation that you are giving now. Btw do you agree that Muller's ratings are right?? Boy then Bundesliga sure sucks

Perhaps Muller and some other players are -9, or -10 PA - And this particular quick start has randomised them lower than is normal.

yeah, that's what i was driving at. i dont have a set pieces box, attacking is the lowest one

Shooting is the lowest in mine.

nosetpiece.jpg[/img]

Just tried using 1280 x 1024, still the same, as you can see set-piece is also missing from training overview

yeah, that's what i was driving at. i dont have a set pieces box, attacking is the lowest one

Shooting should be the last coach assignment filter to pick. If you're not seeing it, it's because your window size is less than 768 pixels in height.

In case you're wondering why set-pieces isn't there, it's because "there is no 'set-pieces' training category anymore. This was removed from the training schedules because it made no sense forcing players to train all set-pieces at the same time, even if you just wanted to improve their corners for example. The set-piece related attributes can all be trained via the individual training focus now" (Risto Remes, coder overseeing Training in FM 11).

SO what options do I have please. WHilst it may be trivial for some. I understand people always complain and their is a bedding in period.

Dual column view's are no longer supported unfortunately. The best option I'd recommend is for you to create a custom view incorporating only the columns of information of interest to you using the customisable columns.

First impressions entered as I encounter them:

Firstly, the start page. The buttons are too small for the screen. You end up with far too much unused real estate. Just looks... empty.

Next up, the news page. Messages on the left with the content in the middle might grow on me. The action buttons being bottom right, however, doesn't work. It's divorced from the message, placed away from where you concentrate. I had to go and find it to do stuff. Again, too much screen real estate is wasted on the news page compared to the old way. Most messages are quite short, leaving the middle pane mostly empty. The action button has around 50% of the screen above it white/empty, and 80% of the screen left of it. You have around 30-40% of the page as plain white empty space, then the most important part of that tucked into the furthest, bottom corner of that empty space.

Player conversations. One of the big new features... This is just a graphical reskin. Rather than an interaction then a news item, it appears in a faux conversational setting. Very robotic answers too, relationship between the player and manager and personality should see phrases like "Sorry Boss, can't think of anyone" or "I can't think of anyone Mr. Surname.", even extending to "Afraid not Firstname, Can't think of anyone".

I agree with other posters that the (side) thing is annoying, and doesn't really add anything.

Set peices creator, it's hard to see who's the STR and STL. The outer circles need to be a bit thinner.

Pre-match tactics training, I like. We can finally see how our players are gelling to our formations. Plus it sort of forces us to come up with a few ideas from the start rather than just making it up as we go along.

Agents or no agents, contract discussions are still stupid at times. Bidding for a 21 year old brighton player, I ended up having the agent walk out because I wouldn't give the player a signing on fee. I was tripling his wages, paying the agent what he wanted and moving him from Brighton to Arsenal... But refusing that £16,000 signing on fee was a deal breaker apparently.

I do love the fact that I managed to knock 20k a week off of a potential new signing's wages by offering his agent an extra half a million though. That is fantastic!

A "sack your agent and I'll give you a new contract, but I won't talk to that guy" option would be fantastic. It should make the agent dislike you, making it harder to bring in anyone on his books though.

Now, the match. Entering a match was quicker and more responsive. The new TV view looks like it'd be good for replays, but I like my elevated for actually managing.

The game play itself was very smooth. All looked good at a glance.

Overall, we have some minor improvements, some minor graphical improvements and some big steps backwards graphically. Then we have a couple of new features that could be really good. Overall, it's a step forward. Not the leap I hoped for, but still movement in the right direction. I'll be playing it at 00.01 on the 5th.

Shooting should be the last coach assignment filter to pick. If you're not seeing it, it's because your window size is less than 768 pixels in height.

In case you're wondering why set-pieces isn't there, it's because "there is no 'set-pieces' training category anymore. This was removed from the training schedules because it made no sense forcing players to train all set-pieces at the same time, even if you just wanted to improve their corners for example. The set-piece related attributes can all be trained via the individual training focus now" (Risto Remes, coder overseeing Training in FM 11).

Next up, the news page. Messages on the left with the content in the middle might grow on me. The action buttons being bottom right, however, doesn't work. It's divorced from the message, placed away from where you concentrate. I had to go and find it to do stuff. Again, too much screen real estate is wasted on the news page compared to the old way. Most messages are quite short, leaving the middle pane mostly empty. The action button has around 50% of the screen above it white/empty, and 80% of the screen left of it. You have around 30-40% of the page as plain white empty space, then the most important part of that tucked into the furthest, bottom corner of that empty space.

We're aware that the current location of the action buttons is far from ideal, but they are there because we had no other choice as placing them anywhere else would have caused issues to surface on the minimum resolution supported. I expect that this is something that will be reviewed in the future. Thanks for the reminder though.

If a player doesn't want to come to my club I can't make an offer to his agent, they just flat out refuse to listen. This is annoying as one of the favourite parts of the game has always been trying to get some of the best players in the world at my club, is this a bug or a permanent thing???

We're aware that the current location of the action buttons is far from ideal, but they are there because we had no other choice as placing them anywhere else would have caused issues to surface on the minimum resolution supported. I expect that this is something that will be reviewed in the future. Thanks for the reminder though.

Have you considered having a high res and a low res skin for future releases? Have the game detect resolution and auto-choose the one which is eligible on start-up.

Just a quick question.

Im downloading the demo on my desktop pc, which will run the game fine. Is there any way of transfering the game from my desktop to my laptop without having to downlaod it again?

As id like to see how the laptop handles it!

You should have realised by now the unofficial attitude of SI towards the German league. They always tend to underestimate Bundesliga players on every version of the game. Maybe it's some kind of subconscious cultural hate/bias, maybe it's not. but IMO there's something there. Another thing - no German quick start in the demo.

Have you considered having a high res and a low res skin for future releases? Have the game detect resolution and auto-choose the one which is eligible on start-up.

From a maintenance point of view, that isn't the most practical solution to the problem. The ideal solution is for the window to dynamically re-adjust according to its current dimensions, much like a fluid web page laid out using CSS does when you resize the browser window. However, that isn't the easiest solution to implement. So as you can see, both recommendations have their pros and cons. What also needs to be remembered is that both solutions are time consuming from a development and testing perspective, and so need to be prioritised accordingly.

I am always very positive about SI and this game seems fantastic again, but every year a lot of people complain about the skin being too white and every year it is in the game. But right now there is not even an alternative included in the demo. I just can't understand that. Is it so hard to include it for people who want to safe their eyes? This game is time comsuming and it requires you to focus on the letters etc. The first accessability option would be to use an eye-friendly colour. Green like earlier versions, or black. I think I shouldn't have to download an alternative program to look at this game. I don't think the skin is bad, but it simply hurts my eyes. Please provide an alternative as well, like last year. The black version was in the 2010 boxed version, and even in the demo IIRC.

I'm afraid you recall incorrectly.

The dark skin wasn't released until later in the life of FM 2010. It's something we don't have to provide but we do spend time working on and it'll come when it's ready to go. There are already alternatives you can go download if you really don't like the light skin.

But when it's ready, you'll have it.

The dark skin must have been available as I built 2 skins off it within days of release of FM10. Vitreous and Vitreous2. It was the 09 Skin that came later.

As for all the complaints about the white skin. Yes its very bright. No its not ideal but its a demo at the end of the day. But yes there will be a dark skin for FM11 and if SI doesn't make it I will.

Loving the demo though. Minus the agent fees of course ;)

What does the researcher do? Calculates each touch/finish and then equates it to 20? The player had a very good world cup and was one of the most consistent players with Bayern Munich for much of the last season. He would not have been able to achieve all that if his first touch and technique (vital attributes for a player in his position) are of Championship level right? Your second point really bothers me...so that means that now the search function and the attribute ratings is defunct? I would have thought the best players in each position would have higher ratings for attributes that are related to their specific positions. So now we will have to actually see games of each and every player, see whether they are effective or not..and then decide who is good and who is bad?

My second point might bother you but its a fact. If you've still got FM10 fire it up and start a save with Bayern, play a few games, look at Ivica Olic and Mulllers attributes and then compare that to their performances in the games you play. Trust me when I tell you they will play to the very highest level despite their attributes only equalling (in your words) a championship player.

Alternately look at Agbonlahor or Delfouneso or Walcott. All of these players on face value would be laughed at if you only went by attributes, however they are all phenoms.

Don't blame me, I didn't make the game, I'm just telling how it is and telling people that disagree with the data the right way to report it.

Some notes:

- "Last negotiation" when viewing transfers for the same player. Does this still exist? Tried to use it when 3 clubs offered to loan one of my players.

- Don't like the fact that the match stats are in bars rather than numeric. Maybe it'll grow on me.

- The text in the "Assistant feedback" tab when in the match seems WAY too big.

Some notes:

- "Last negotiation" when viewing transfers for the same player. Does this still exist? Tried to use it when 3 clubs offered to loan one of my players.

- Don't like the fact that the match stats are in bars rather than numeric. Maybe it'll grow on me.

- The text in the "Assistant feedback" tab when in the match seems WAY too big.

Agree with you on the match stats view, looks ugly, though this can be changed with customized skins i presume

There will be no official netbook skin this year. This is something we will however continue to monitor and review.

Disappointed to hear that. Hope FM12 will have it as if I'm not wrong, it has been reviewed for the past 2 years.

Archived