OFFICIAL FM2011 Demo First Impressions Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm playing as Man Utd. Would like to know why my coaches keep telling me that the best position for Valencia is MR, when he is clearly AMR and it happens with Nani too? It's not like I don't have worldclass stuff at the begining of the game.

That happens with most players from my experience- perhaps the staff are trying to fit the players into their personal preferred formation (is it 4-4-2?)

We wanted to have added emphasis for a player's preferred position. So in your example's case, the player is most comfortable as a AM R, but can also play as M RLC and AM LC. I believe the revised format makes this more clear to the user than what you suggested, as the abbreviated positions are visually given less prominence. I know it may take a while to get used to, but hopefully after a while you'll come to see where I'm coming from.

I think it would be better to display the preferred position in bold but list the positions as they were previously e.g. M RLC, AM RLC

That happens with most players from my experience- perhaps the staff are trying to fit the players into their personal preferred formation (is it 4-4-2?)

I play 4-4-2 with AMR & AML. I wanted to choose beetwen Nani and Valencia for my AMR position as they are both natural there. But, all of my staff are saying that their best position is MR, even though when I choose for them to compile me report on them in AMR position.

Also, I had two crash dumps so far and I talked to the board about getting a feeder club, they accepted. I still haven't continued the game, I talked to them again and was able againto talk about it and again and so on. I think once we do the conversation with them on one topic, shouldn't we then contiue the game for us to see what feeders clubs they found for us?

I play 4-4-2 with AMR & AML. I wanted to choose beetwen Nani and Valencia for my AMR position as they are both natural there. But, all of my staff are saying that their best position is MR, even though when I choose for them to compile me report on them in AMR position.

I meant that your staff would say that based on their own preferred formation (check their profile). It's just a hunch.

the 2D and 3D engines are the same one?

What needs tweaking exactly.

Yeah its the same engine but the movement of the players.....the passes they play when theres space and then from 6 yards out shooting yards wide is just wrong.

And theres a lack of curled shots, lobs and through balls.

• SI Staff
Loving the demo other than a few issues.

1. Monthly training reports are innacurate. Each month when your assistant tells you who's been training well (ie in tactics/attacking/etc), there is at least 1 player who's attributes haven't improved at all and are exactly the same as they were previously, despite my assistant telling me otherwise

By this do you mean that none of the attributes have jumped by 1 point (ie. from 10 to 11 for example) ?

The player attributes are tracked on a more detailed scale within the game engine, the 1-20 range is for display purposes and attributes might actually improve without the visual attribute value changing. There is an attribute history chart in the player profile training tab, where you can track the changes on this more detailed level by for example selecting the training category that was noted in the report and it should display you the graphs of the related attributes.

Everything is perfect in this demo so far, other than a few things.

For once, a new signing told me he was not feeling at home...so I told him I'd sign someone else to make him feel more comfortable and he told me "I don't think you can keep up with your word"...now he is mad at me. WTF?? I don't even get a chance at saying "Er...yes I will sign somebody, i JUST told you. "

Weird.

In tactics screen just before submitting team, when I click on one of my players to see his profile, when I return to the tactics screen, the right view always changes to 'Player Instructions' ... that is very annoying. Please let it return to whatever view I had up when opening the Player Profile.

Edit: Also whenever I look at Personal page of transfer subjects I can see the Personality of the player. This used to be hidden. Is that Working As Designed?? ... when I then change the View to 'Scout Main' there is nothing in the Personality field.

First impressions are that this looks like it's going to be the best Football Manager yet.

- I love the 3D TV view. It's great to actually see your players doing skills.

- I also love the new News setup, very simple and it gives me all the information I want.

- I'm liking the contract negiotations, not had any problems so far with this.

Only thing thats bothering me at the moment, bearing in mind, I've only had 4 matches, is that my world class players aren't burying the ball away when they are one on one with the keepers. Alot of the time they just shoot directly at the keeper.

Another thing which I saw mentioned early was someone missing from a few yards from the line. It has happened quite a few times, they either send it terribly wide or just into the side netting. Gonna play some more games though and then see if it stays like this.

Thank you SI for all your hardwork!

I have a very annoying problem that appears when iam trying to enter to a player profile,the game crashes.

I have tried to re-install the demo, but it wouldnt help me, it happened also in more than two different saves.( I have windows 7 if you need to know)

the error is:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fm.exe

Application Version: 11.0.0.21379

Application Timestamp: 4cb42a02

The fault module name: ntdll.dll

Fault module version: 6.1.7600.16559

Module Timestamp error: 4ba9b29c

Exception Code: c0000005

Shift deviation: 0002dd3e

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1037

Additional Information 1: e8ad

Additional Information 2: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863

Additional Information 3: e8ad

Additional Information 4: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863

Iam sorry to disturb you, but someone can please reply to my problem?

Yes, that's what I meant, none of the attributes have gone up by any points at all. It's just in previous FM's when I'd been told by my assistant a player had trained well in his monthly report, upon checking his proile he'd always have gained at least 1 attribute point somewhere in the related category. Guess you changed it this year then, ie the assistant can now mention players who haven't actually visually improved?

If that's the case then I prefered the old system of only mentioning players whose attributes had visually increased in the monthly reports...

By this do you mean that none of the attributes have jumped by 1 point (ie. from 10 to 11 for example) ?

The player attributes are tracked on a more detailed scale within the game engine, the 1-20 range is for display purposes and attributes might actually improve without the visual attribute value changing. There is an attribute history chart in the player profile training tab, where you can track the changes on this more detailed level by for example selecting the training category that was noted in the report and it should display you the graphs of the related attributes.

In tactics screen just before submitting team, when I click on one of my players to see his profile, when I return to the tactics screen, the right view always changes to 'Player Instructions' ... that is very annoying. Please let it return to whatever view I had up when opening the Player Profile.

Edit: Also whenever I look at Personal page of transfer subjects I can see the Personality of the player. This used to be hidden. Is that Working As Designed?? ... when I then change the View to 'Scout Main' there is nothing in the Personality field.

1) Please have a look at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/230363-Issue-with-going-to-tactics-screen-(Player-instructions-every-time-).

2) I need to look into this one.

• SI Staff
My game keeps crashing after my first Prem match with newcastle

I am on a macbook by the way

Is it by any chance only if you avoid defeat with Newcastle? It sounds like it is related to breaking their unbeaten record to me. The issue is under review

I cant wait to interact with the agents i know people saying they asking for ridiculous fees but its just gonna be real fun i think. I remember playing the premier manager game it wasnt the best no where near FM standard but they did have agents where u met them in a restaurant and it was graphics aswell and i always though the game had some great ideas and cant wait to do this in FM.

I really want to play the demo but im stopping myself and waiting for full game its hard i tell you

• SI Staff
Yes, that's what I meant, none of the attributes have gone up by any points at all. It's just in previous FM's when I'd been told by my assistant a player had trained well in his monthly report, upon checking his proile he'd always have gained at least 1 attribute point somewhere in the related category. Guess you changed it this year then, ie the assistant can now mention players who haven't actually visually improved?

If that's the case then I prefered the old system of only mentioning players whose attributes had visually increased in the monthly reports...

A player can technically improve by one detailed point and it will result in the visual attribute changing (if the attribute was already that close to the visual attribute limit), whereas another can improve by 5 detailed points and not yet trigger a change in the visual attribute, if he wasn't as near the limit yet. The purpose of the report is to tell you which players have done well in training and it does do exactly that now by basing the report on the actual changes rather than just the display value changes.

Like I said in the earlier reply, you can check the detailed changes visually in the player profile training screen, where you can see the smaller changes even if the visual 1-20 attribute has not changed.

have a very annoying problem that appears when iam trying to enter to a player profile,the game crashes.

I have tried to re-install the demo, but it wouldnt help me, it happened also in more than two different saves.( I have windows 7 if you need to know)

the error is:

Problem signature:

• SI Staff
I dont no maybe

cos first game is away at Blackburn we drew 1-1

then i went on holiday and lost 3-0 the game worked fine never crashed

now tried again and we drew 1-1 it crashed

thats odd

Yea it sounds like the same thing to me. Newcastle only need to avoid defeat in their first game to break their unbeaten record. It seems for some Mac users that news items regarding records being broken are causing a crash. Can you try unsubscribing from any 'Records' in the 'Manage subscriptions' screen to see if this helps?

Fair play, thanks for your reply, I just didn't understand why it was mentioning players in the report who hadn't visually improved, as like I said it didn't used to do that. Cheers for clearing that up mate.

Can you shed any light on the 10-15 second delay im experiencing from clicking 'go to match...yes' and the match screen actually loading up? Was almost instant on FM10.

A player can technically improve by one detailed point and it will result in the visual attribute changing (if the attribute was already that close to the visual attribute limit), whereas another can improve by 5 detailed points and not yet trigger a change in the visual attribute, if he wasn't as near the limit yet. The purpose of the report is to tell you which players have done well in training and it does do exactly that. Like I said in the earlier reply, you can check the detailed changes visually in the player profile training screen, where you can see the smaller changes even if the visual 1-20 attribute has not changed.

Few things that annoy me so far in the demo....(I wont waste time on all the positive stuff because SI already know their game rocks)

I am not sure why the interface need to change every year. But I am sure I will get used to it. Also in FM2010 during matches, I had it set to split view (match stats/player ratings) and then the highlights would show in classic pitch view. In the demo, no matter how many times I change the highlights setting to classic pitch view, the highlights show up in my left side split view. I hope it will be fixed in the full version, because I am too lazy to manually switch between classic and split view, and the new 3d highlights look nice so far.

Also I noticed that on the club information screen under stats, my squads average age show as 23. As I chose AC Milan for the demo and I have like 2 players under 25 years old in my team, it probably includes under 20 squad, and it really shouldn't.

every transfer listed above happened exactly the same on my game for exactly the same money.

That's because you're playing the same game - the quick start is just a game started and saved at the beginning, so all the Manager shortlists, player attributes etc will all be exactly the same. In the normal game the startup process randomises a lot of that stuff so we all get different experiences.

Managed to lock myself out of my own tactics. Match view buttons were greyed out, the Match Controls -> Tactics button did nothing and the tab was was see-thru.

notactics.png

Happened after I'd been prompted to confirm my changes and pressed cancel, then tried to go back into my tactics

Love the demo but the match engine has gone backwards.

I'm playing as Man City and cannot belive the amount of bad decisions made, balls kicked aimlessly up field, poor attempts when clear on goal. The list goes on.

Anybody else noticed this?

Fired it up today to filter a bit of the mood of the thing. FM's match engine is what sold the game to me three years ago, so I mostly watched the match action unfold. This might sound incredibly shallow, but admittedly, I'm a tad disappointed with how the match actually looks even on high detail settings - from the videos things looked much nicer. I know that resources allocated to this area of the game are slim, it's essentially a one-man job at SI. But some of the visuals are nowhere near what you get from a modern video game, be it an AAA game or a modest mid-table contender for you local video market's games shelve. I can live with that - essentially I fell in love with what where 2d blops all those years ago. And the sensation of 3D live footage never grows old, regardless of tech an art. Well, almost.

What I am a bit puzzled about is why a machine that can run PES 2010 maxed out has to struggle with frame drops in FM 2011, particularly in weather in which lighting routines appear to be a tad more complex than on a flat, cloudy day. I think SI should enable an option to unlock V-Sync, usually switching it off results in a good gain in performance. Either way, perhaps something that a driver update might fix also, considering mine dates back to 2009 since I've been struggling to install newer Nvidia drivers of late, strangely.

That is the negative side, if you wish. On the plus side, the match engine unfolds as solid as ever. Which means this is probably that kind of game that can cost you all the spare time you have got. Again. ;)

edit: on second impression this was a bit harsh. This feels like football. Currently playing a match in San Siro against Bremen, and some of the action is creepily close to the real thing. The general quality of it all greatly depends on the quality of the pitch textures it seems - as well as the quality of lighting under different conditions. Also there is clearly put a lot of effort into new animations, even if particularrly their transition from one to another still can look quite jerky in comparison to what's going on elsewhere. Also managed to install a new driver, but some of the stuttering remains: GeForce8600GT, 256s megs. I'm betting my ass this is something that turning off V-Sync could fix.

Love the demo but the match engine has gone backwards.

I'm playing as Man City and cannot belive the amount of bad decisions made, balls kicked aimlessly up field, poor attempts when clear on goal. The list goes on.

Anybody else noticed this?

no, to me and my team the 3D ME is the best yet

noticing alot of new stuff thats only improved the overall feel of it

Loving it but found one bug - when setting up Corner tactics I can't drag them to the right side column, only the left. Dragging onto the right side just does nothing. Playing on MAC OS X 10.6.

I had this problem as well. Two fixes:

Drag and drop lower in the column. If that doesn't work, switch to a different part of the tactics creator and then go back to the corner tactics. It releases both columns instead of locking one.

If that doesn't work, I have no idea, because both of those things have fixed it for me.

I've spotted the keeper quite a few times off his line and further to end of his box. I've had two simple goals go in me from this...but I'm not complaining when Nani literally just scored from pretty much outside my penalty box, over Chelsea's goalkeepers head.. I presume this was because it was getting late in the game so the keeper wanted to be near end of his box?

Thanks for your reply. That certainly makes a lot of sense and it's something I didn't think about ;) While I'm still not really sure if the earlier mentioned case of 10+ player transfers being completely identical should be possible or not, even under circumstances of identical shortlists,
It's not just shortlists it's player attributes etc - all the stats that are set to random will be EXACTLY the same for all of us, amd it's a very small world you're playing in.

have a very annoying problem that appears when iam trying to enter to a player profile,the game crashes.

the error is:

Problem signature:

if i were you i'd post this in a more relevant thread

So far, it's not bad I guess, but the plusses for me so far are quite few when the rest of the game feels identical to FM10, but with added negatives.

+ TV camera is nice

+ Some nice new player animations

+ Match day preparations is nice

+ YouTube/Twitter thing is nice, although I'd make more use of the YouTube thing than the Twitter thing considering none of my Twitter friends play FM.

- 3D match engine very stuttery for me, especially when panning horizontally. Never had any problems with 3D on FM10. Also still rather clunky, actually reminded me more of the FM09 engine than a step forward from FM10.

- Set piece creator doesn't allow me to put players where I want them. It'll only put certain players in certain places, where IT wants to (I want, for whatever reason, to have Carrick on the right side of the center of the box during an attacking corner, and not the left, but the SPC refuses to let me do this)

- I don't want to watch my players walk all the way back to the touchline after scoring a goal. Waste of time.

- UI quite laggy

As you can see, for me, the plusses are all small, almost gimmicky additions that could've been stuck on a patch for FM10. You wouldn't notice any difference between FM10 and FM11, and you wouldn't have the negatives either. Obviously they're all fixable, but I'm kind of disappointed that there wasn't more to FM11. There's the press conferences and agent negotiations, but for me, that's just more repetitive speed bumps which I was hoping there'd be less of in FM11. There just seems to be getting too much to think about, more and more little things added that I don't want to have to take part in, and after a while it gets slightly overwhelming and annoying.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I actually thought it would be better than this. For the first time it feels like it hasn't really gone anywhere, and that I'd might as well save my money and stick to what I've got. Didn't think I'd be getting the money for the game anyway until yesterday, but I'll be saving my £25 for now. First time for me, unfortunately. :(

Because he's small and quite weedy?

He has exceptional balance due to his low centre of gravity, so he's hard to knock off the ball, but he isn't especially bulky.

He is small but he is definately not weedy, if he is hard to knock off the ball, then he must be strong. IMO he is one of the strongest around.

He is small but he is definately not weedy, if he is hard to knock off the ball, then he must be strong. IMO he is one of the strongest around.

This is classified as balance in the game. strength is the ability to win the ball in a shoulder-to-shoulder challenge, which Messi is not particularly good at.

Archived