Ban Suarez for Life

djvandyke

Poyet is a legend. :cool:

The ex-Chelsea and Tottenham midfielder told BBC Radio Five Live: "I was little bit disappointed with some people talking about cheating. I think that is absolute rubbish. That is taking one for the team. That is making something happen for the rest of their life. That is helping one country of 3.5 million people to get to the semi-final for the first time in so many years.

"You are telling me the player had to let the ball go in? Is that football? I think you're missing something really important here. I think you call it cheating when you try to score a goal with the hand, to take advantage when the referee cannot see that. Everybody saw that. The referee saw that. He gave the red card to the player (Suarez). The player (Gyan) had the chance to score the penalty and didn't.

"We are missing something really important. When you are naive, you don't win football games. Suarez put himself in front of the whole country and because of that Uruguay is in the semi-finals.''

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they should change the rules so if this kind of thing happens where the ball is obviously going in, the player gets sent off and the goal is given, instead of giving a penalty.

I find it unbelievable that most people are sticking up for someone who cheated.

Me too, what the hell's going on with people?

banning him for life is OTT but he did cheat (why is everyone saying he didn't? :confused:)

breaking the rules to gain an advantage and/or win the game is clearly cheating.

yes i agree that anyone would do the same, but that doesn't make it right, does it?

the punishment should be harsh as hell on this guy who effectively put his team into the semi's by breaking the rules.

Me too, what the hell's going on with people?

banning him for life is OTT but he did cheat (why is everyone saying he didn't? :confused:)

breaking the rules to gain an advantage and/or win the game is clearly cheating.

yes i agree that anyone would do the same, but that doesn't make it right, does it?

the punishment should be harsh as hell on this guy who effectively put his team into the semi's by breaking the rules.

So would you call every foul in a match an example of cheating then?

I say:

• He did cheat
  • He got caught
  • He received the punishment that was pre-agreed by the sport's governing body
  • Ghana failed to take advantage of the opportunity
  • Suarez should not receive any further punishment

That said, I feel sorry for Ghana, but they know the rules before they enter the field of play so can't really complain about them as they were applied correctly.

So would you call every foul in a match an example of cheating then?

No.

Not the same thing at all, he denied a perfectly good goal, that would of put Ghana though to the semi final of the world cup, fouling someone 40 yards away from the goal line, isn't the same thing.

Of course he cheated.

Strange that so many seem to have far more vitriolic reactions to situations like the 1986 Maradona goal or the Henry situation whereas saying here "anybody would have done it"

What's the actual distinction?

He cheated. Other players would have cheated. I would have done that in a park kick around with my mates.

Scoring by using your hand = cheating

Desperately saving a goal with your hand that would have 100% eliminated your team = no cheating

It is the same thing of when defenders foul strikers that are going 1on1 with the keeper.

HAHA

What ? Your kidding me ????

That logic is plain stupid. Conceding a goal and scoring a goal are the same thing because they both effect the scoreline and result in the same way.

Suarez is dire role model for young kids, they copy world cup footballers after watching them on TV. I bet it will happen a thousand times now, when kids are playing football.....teaching them how to cheat is wrong.

Suarez is dire role model for young kids, they copy world cup footballers after watching them on TV. I bet it will happen a thousand times now, when kids are playing football.....teaching them how to cheat is wrong.

And 999/1000 times of those kids copying this, the player on the other team will put the penalty by them that will put their team behind.

Followed by the kid's teammates beating the ever loving **** out of him.

So,if a striker is going 1on1 vs the keeper,and you are the defender,you are not going to put him down(leading to a red card and penalty)because that would be cheating?

It is the same exact thing of what suarez did.Its a different foul than the one above,its a hand foul,he knew the consequences(red card and penalty)and he preferred to keep 1% of hope rather than 0%.

Trying to score a goal with your hand is like pushing down the defender marking you.You are trying to cheat your opponent and the referee.This is completely different.

No.

Not the same thing at all, he denied a perfectly good goal, that would of put Ghana though to the semi final of the world cup, fouling someone 40 yards away from the goal line, isn't the same thing.

Ok heres an example player A is clean through a goalkeeper brings him down outside the box and gets sent off all they get is a Freekick and we never know if he would have scored not that different at all tbh

Trying to score a goal with your hand is like pushing down the defender marking you.You are trying to cheat your opponent and the referee.This is completely different.

By 'completely different' you mean 'exactly the same', right?

Of course he cheated.

Strange that so many seem to have far more vitriolic reactions to situations like the 1986 Maradona goal or the Henry situation whereas saying here "anybody would have done it"

What's the actual distinction?

He cheated. Other players would have cheated. I would have done that in a park kick around with my mates.

The distinction for me is that Suarez didn't try to deceive the referee.

The distinction for me is that Suarez didn't try to deceive the referee.

What would he have done if the referee somehow hadn't spotted it? Run up to the ball and picked it up again?

'Trying to deceive the referee' is a complete red herring. The issue is attempting to gain a advantage by deliberately breaking the rules.

What would he have done if the referee somehow hadn't spotted it? Run up to the ball and picked it up again?

'Trying to deceive the referee' is a complete red herring. The issue is attempting to gain a advantage by deliberately breaking the rules.

For which he was punished by a red card and a pen was awarded hardly like he got away with it not his fault they missed it

By this logic,all players shouldnt tackle other player anymore because that is "deliberately breaking the rules".

That hardly applies to Suarez's case. Most players committing a tackle are trying to win the ball. They aren't trying to deliberately break someone's ankle.

It ****es me off when some people tell me he didn't cheat as he was caught in the act :D It doesn't matter if he was caught or not, he still cheated.

Qolumbo; he did try to decieve the referee to an extent as when he pushed the ball away with his hand, he then moved his head forward as if to suggest he'd headed it and hadn't used his hand.

Fwiw, I believe there was a slight injustice in that Ghana were 'cheated' out of having a goal, but Suarez was punished accordingly and Ghana were represented with the chance to score from the spot. I don't think there could be anything more done about it?

The anger should be directed at the red card system. The sending off steadily loses it's punitive effect as the game progresses. The players gets banned the next game, but that hardly matters to the losing side in a knockout tournament.

For which he was punished by a red card and a pen was awarded hardly like he got away with it not his fault they missed it

As I've said previously, whether or not you 'get away with it' has no relevance as to whether or not you are cheating.

That hardly applies to Suarez's case. Most players committing a tackle are trying to win the ball. They aren't trying to deliberately break someone's ankle.

Its not about breaking someone's ankle,its about stopping your opponent from scoring.

Which is what Suarez did.Had he done it by a tackle foul no one would be complaining.He did it with a hand foul,both kind fouls get punished with a red card and penalty,whats the difference here?

Some people here dont understand that the rules dont tell you that you cant foul someone or that you cant touch the ball with your hand.You can do that,but you will get punished for it.

As I've said previously, whether or not you 'get away with it' has no relevance as to whether or not you are cheating.

Yes but as also stated its no different to a player clean through and fouled by a keeper outside the box chances are he would have scored now all he has is a freekick :)

What if Gyan scored the penalty kick?

And remember:

Two Ghana players were off side from the free kick.

The free kick was never a free kick in the first place.

If anything the red card should be rescinded and Fifa and the CAF should offer a full public apology to Suarez.

Some people here dont understand that the rules dont tell you that you cant foul someone or that you cant touch the ball with your hand.You can do that,but you will get punished for it.

Its not about breaking someone's ankle,its about stopping your opponent from scoring.

Which is what Suarez did.Had he done it by a tackle foul no one would be complaining.He did it with a hand foul,both kind fouls get punished with a red card and penalty,whats the difference here?

Tackles are part of the game and considered a football move. Players using their hands are not. In fact, it goes completely against the point of FOOTball.

Cheating what?!

Red card+penalty...

If that wasn't enough, the only solution left is giving the goal regardless of the handball...

Goaltending rule, basket-style?

that is exactly the rule they should apply.

handball to prevent a goal should be red card and a goal, as I said in the Suarez poll thread. Uruguay actually gained an advantage by committing that red card-offence, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Of course I'm not saying the result is unjust, because the rules are what they are at this moment. But the rule is horrible nonetheless.

Yes but as also stated its no different to a player clean through and fouled by a keeper outside the box chances are he would have scored now all he has is a freekick :)

No I agree. People just react more because the offence and it's effect is so much more obvious.

I'm sure there'd be the same reaction if a striker one on one with the keeper in the area, went round the keeper, then as he was about to tap into the empty net the keeper rugby tackled him to the floor.

Players using their hands are not. In fact, it goes completely against the point of FOOTball.

Last time i checked,goalkeepers are players that can touch the balls with their hands.

But i am gonna wait for someone else to clarify that for me,as from your post i am starting to believe that GK are cheerleaders.

Also,you are only "playing" with the word football,maybe you are not aware that you can also touch the ball with your HEAD,your KNEES,your CHEST,your ASS and your BALLS(supposing that you have some).

Of course I'm not saying the result is unjust, because the rules are what they are at this moment. But the rule is horrible nonetheless.

This is what it is about, in the current rules, Suárez didn't cheat, he made a foul (to at least have some hope for his team to advance) and was punished accordingly the rules (red card + pen).

The rule is just rubbish. they should change that into Red card and goal.

Now we are on this, should we ban Kewell for life as well then (+ many others in all various matches around the world), he basically did the same in the game against Ghana iirc, the difference then was that A. gyan did score the penalty so nobody cared about the red card/foul made by Kewell

Uruguay actually gained an advantage by committing that red card-offence, which is absolutely ridiculous.

So,getting a red card because you make a foul is absolutely ridiculous,against the rules,and clearly a cheat?

Some people here sure have a weird concept of football rules,and strategy.

that is exactly the rule they should apply.

handball to prevent a goal should be red card and a goal, as I said in the Suarez poll thread. Uruguay actually gained an advantage by committing that red card-offence, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Not really they gave away a pen hardly an advantage is it?

it's an incredible advantage over a goal, because a penalty can be missed as was the case now.

don't you see the advantage they got from it in this match? they went through to the next round instead of going out. It was 100% a goal without Suarez' hand. If the rule was red + goal, he wouldn't have attempted to do this (or would out of instinct maybe and the punishment would have been more fair).

Why is no one complaining about the "advantage" Australia got when Harry Kewell did the exact same thing against Ghana in the group stages? Because Gyan scored that penalty, so justice was done and everyone forgot about it.

Kewell should be banned for life, the cheat!!

Add Pique to the banned list, he tried to pull Cardozo's arm off, deliberately trying to gain an advantage.

Archived