Ban Suarez for Life

djvandyke

It was the last kick of the game, the only advantage went to the Cheats.

The advantage of a penalty kick was pretty clearly weighted in Ghana's favour tbh.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which club does djvandyke support? I want to know what he'll do if a player from his club does the same with the same outcome.

Arsenal. And my guess is that he'd defend it for a while then say he always thought it was the wrong thing to do.

It was the last kick of the game, the only advantage went to the Cheats.

Why can't you accept it isn't cheating?

Plus anyway Uruguay lost a good penalty taker.

Plus anyway if it was the last kick off the game Ghana should have scored and won the game.

Every deliberate breach of rules is unfair by definition. The advantage was his team not being a goal down with no time left. Add the two together and you have unfair advantage.

A penalty for every team gives a significant advantage for that team, not for the team that commits a foul. Sure, it gave an advantage for Uruguay finally, but it was merely luck.

A penalty for every team gives a significant advantage for that team, not for the team that commits a foul. Sure, it gave an advantage for Uruguay finally, but it was merely luck.

Regardless of how it played out afterwards, in the single instant where Suarez stopped the ball with his hand, Ghana were disadvantaged by not having a goal scored.

Btw, I'm perfectly satisfied with the rules as they stand and how the ref applied them. Suarez did what he did and got punished for it. I just don't understand how it can't be seen as a form of cheating.
I guess if you consider any foul to be cheating, then it's cheating.

Regardless of how it played out afterwards, in the single instant where Suarez stopped the ball with his hand, Ghana were disadvantaged by not having a goal scored.

Okay, I think we agree on this one.

Although this doesn't cover the opinion that a professional foul is a cheat as djvandyke tells us. In his case, it means that every foul is a cheat.

I personally think the context of the game shouldn't really matter. Would anyone be as hysterical had Suárez done the same thing in the first minute of the game? Or if he did it in some meaningless pub league match down the park? I don't really want referees to start giving out more severe punishments because "It's the World Cup Quarter-Finals" or "It's the last minute of extra time".

Granted the actual actions of the player would be different in different circumstances (i.e. Suárez would be a silly boy to do that in the first minute of the game), but the punishment should be the same in both circumstances.

- Denying a clear goalscoring opportunity illegally: Red card

- Foul in the box: Penalty

Blur out the circumstances around it. This is really all that is enforceable.

There may be an argument for making punishments more severe for more obvious denials of clear goalscoring opportunities but I'm not sure we'd want to give those powers to referees or officials. What if Suárez did not handball but the ball went in anyway off Suárez's face, like Rob Green would have done? What are the chances of that? What if he could head it away? Does it even guarantee a win for Ghana considering Uruguay might score from the halfway line at the restart?

Equally, it is not Suarez's fault the rules are as they are.... You could argue he played to the rules and traded a goal for a pen and red

http://twitter.com/sidlowe/status/17602608819

@sidlowe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/3537472/Chelsea-manager-Luiz-Felipe-Scolari-blames-referee-after-Arsenal-offside-goal-Football.html

Robin Van Persie was clearly in an offside position for Arsenal's goal in this game against Chelsea, therefore he cheated and should be banned for life??

String him up I say - for that kind of cheating is abhorrent

How can anybody not see this was cheating? That is it, I have lost my faith in humanity.

Dude this didnt give Uruguay an advantage in any way in my opinion... Its not Suarez's fault the dude missed the penalty kick.......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/3537472/Chelsea-manager-Luiz-Felipe-Scolari-blames-referee-after-Arsenal-offside-goal-Football.html

Robin Van Persie was clearly in an offside position for Arsenal's goal in this game against Chelsea, therefore he cheated and should be banned for life??

is a better example.

I guess if you consider any foul to be cheating, then it's cheating.

Not really. It all comes down to "an attempt to gain an unfair advantage". Clearly a defender, for example, tackling an attacking player in possession of the ball is usually an attempt to dispossess him fairly and within the rules and therefore not "an attempt to gain an unfair advantage". If he fouls it's because he mistimes the tackle or is not skillful enough or whatever but it's generally not "an attempt to gain an unfair advantage".

I'm sure anyone in this situation, for a chance to keep your team in the World Cup and progress to the semi-finals, would do it.

Everyone except dykeboy, who will just take a step to the right/left and lose the match :).

They didnt, red card was in the last few seconds of extra time ;).

My bad

I was clouded by sheer Daily Mail-esque RAGE at such a blatant and chronic injustice was done to such a proud nation as the Gold Coast and it's benevolent leader Kwame Nkrumah.

I shall march on my nearest Uruguayan Embassy in the morning demanding that JUSTICE BE DONE for this massive example of cheating and deception

STAY STRONG MARCEL - WE SHALL PREVAIL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu-HkBumYC8

Pause it at 0:05, that's before the 1st blocked shot when he does the header that will assist the 1st shot.

He looks past the keeper, if so he is offside, any HD replays of this so it's clearer ??

On that he looks exactly level (as in his forward foot is level with the goalies trailing foot) so probably not an excuse. Very very close mind.

On that he looks exactly level (as in his forward foot is level with the goalies trailing foot) so probably not an excuse. Very very close mind.

Yup too close specially on a video with that low quality, just looking for opinions as i can't really tell on that video. :thup:

Not really. It all comes down to "an attempt to gain an unfair advantage". Clearly a defender, for example, tackling an attacking player in possession of the ball is usually an attempt to dispossess him fairly and within the rules and therefore not "an attempt to gain an unfair advantage". If he fouls it's because he mistimes the tackle or is not skillful enough or whatever but it's generally not "an attempt to gain an unfair advantage".
There is always the knowledge that your attempted tackle might not win the ball cleanly, though. Any player who leaves his feet and slides into a tackle does that knowing he might miss the ball and take the the man instead. He could, instead, stay on his feet and try to win the ball without taking that risk, but chooses to make the more dangerous tackle because he has a greater chance of winning the ball. Isn't that gaining an unfair advantage?

Archived