Group G - Ivory Coast vs Portugal - ITV1 @ 15:00

gillsminnow

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the WC is just getting off to a slow start. The games should pick up when the teams have to win imo, plus they will also acclimatize to the ball and altitude.

I think you're right, a lot of teams tend to be a bit cagey in the first games although these two really need to get a result here given the they'll probably all beat N. Korea and face Brazil at some point.

Tbf it's not his technique, watch any reasonable standard 100m event and nobody moves their head.

Usain Bolt does like to turn around to see how much of his dust the others are eating though :D

I'm hoping that rather than it being down to the ball, the altitude, the atmosphere or any other physical factors, it's more down to teams not wanting to throw their first game away. Hopefully they'll start to settle down in the second round of matches, before getting really frantic and entertaining in the crunch games.

I suspect you may be right. I just can't remember such a slow start to a World Cup.

Maybe it is a case of this and of teams acclimatising too.

Can't say I watch American football :o

Well, to put it simply since they don't have to worry about dribbling, once a running back is in the open field he keeps his head up - to keep an eye on oncoming defenders and to take the best angles going forward - and if they're in the open field they can open up their stride, and therefore look more upright. In both sports in traffic players have a tendency to keep their head down for a number of reasons. In American football it's to protect themselves by having a lower center of gravity. Anyway, just a brief observation.

Archived