Group B - South Korea v Greece match thread (ITV 12.30pm)

tcoleman1

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12.30 :thup:

btw, despite my neutral earlier post ive decided i want Greece to win.

Oh is it? Nice one. Though that was when ITV started.

Like with England tonight it starts at 18:00 for an hour and halfs worth of adverts first.

Greece are notoriously boring and don't score too many but as I have read somewhere the high tempo South Korea play at should be quite good to watch. They have some decent players, Chu-Young, Ji-Sung and the guy for Bolton :D

I want South Korea to win this. Park Chu-Young was immense on PES7 (I think), Park Ji Sung is an absolute hero too. One thing neither of these teams will lack is work ethic, but I just see the Koreans having that little bit extra. 1-0 or 2-1.

Quite surprised there has been no dog related jokes :D I didn't know whether Julije Cezar's blow up comment was something about them trying to hard or a North Korea joke about South Korea :D

There was nothing involved with politic in my post. Pure sport, no more no less.:D

this match has 1-0/0-1 written all over it,

Yep, can't help but agree!! Good decision by Rehhagel to leave Liverpool's Kyrgiakos on the bench, as though he would be a deadly threat from set-pieces, he i too slow to match the hard-working, fast style of the Koreans! Vyntra and Avraam Papadopoulos makes sense as the centre-back duo, but wuld have to agree with the previous poster, they are both very error-prone, but they are fast, athletic players, who can hopefully match up to the Koreans well.

I would have liked to see Torosidis playing in midfield, since our midfield trio of Tziolis, Katsouranis and Karagounis is a bit slow and lethargic (especially the first two, Karagounis mainly due to age), and am worried about them. Also, am interested to see if Seitaridis will show his "true" form in big matches, since he has barely played this season, but on the bright side for Greece, he is definitely the type of player who "chooses" his matches, in which he performs very well. Torosidis at left-back will be interesting, he has played there many times before for the national team, but am wondering if he will be able to be an attacking threa at all!

My prediction: Otto will try to keep it scoreless, threaten from set-pieces, and if the game opens up a bit and the Koreans get tired, throw in Salpingidis and Ninis at some point in the 2nd half to try and go for the win. Most important part is to not concede in the first-half... If we play defensively that is not too bad, especially if we can keep it 0-0, we will frustrate the opponents, make them attack more and more, and that will give us more space in the counter-attack hopefully.

• Administrators

Teams:

Korea Republic: Sung-Ryong, Yong-Hyung, Ji-Sung ©, Jung-Woo, Chu-Young, Young-Pyo, Jung-Soo, Sung-Yueng, Chung-Yong, Ki-Hun, Du-Ri

Greece: Tsorvas, Seitaridis, Tziolis, Samaras, Papadopoulos, Charisteas, Karagounis ©, Vyntra, Torosidis, Gekas, Katsouranis

i want south korea to win this. Park chu-young was immense on pes7 (i think), park ji sung is an absolute hero too. One thing neither of these teams will lack is work ethic, but i just see the koreans having that little bit extra. 1-0 or 2-1.

pes 6 .

What annoys me is that there interviewing Rio Ferdinand. Why not show that in the ENGLAND Build up? :mad:

Yep, but they will show it in the England build up tbf :rolleyes:

I'm going for a surprise 2-0 to Greece, 2 second half goals.

Of course, this will be viewed as a bit of a nothing match by many on this sceptred isle. But let's consider this: how many World Cup semi-finals have any of our lot reached recently? How many European Championships have they won? Eh? Also, there's a real chance that the runnners-up in this group could make the quarters, given that the winners of Group A - South Africa, France, Uruguay or Mexico - won't be giving anybody nightmares. Much is to play for, and then some.

This is on the build up to this game on the Guardian minute-by-minute. Really any need for the dig against fans in England if there aren't any 'real' football fans? Who is considering it a 'nothing match', loads of people looking forward to it. Guardian on such a downer all the time :/

Archived