Big name players to miss the WC

Macallan

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I missing something re: Benzema? Why would he not be included?

Because he's been on the bench more than than he's been on the pitch this season?

Of course he should always go though, not playing that much for your new club doesn't mean you've lost your qualities.

Jordaan just thinking about the ££ then :D

Ronaldinho has been pretty poor this season and Dunga hasn't picked him consistently so no real surprise there, I'm sure PMLF will know last time he was selected.

Cambiasso again has been picked inconsistently by Maradona. Only reason I was shocked by this earlier was because didn't know Maradona had been leaving him out of previous squads.

Last time was about a year ago, for the WC games against Peru and Ecuador (late March, early April 2009).

:D

It's like you say PMLF, then he just pops up from anywhere.

Of course he should always go though, not playing that much for your new club doesn't mean you've lost your qualities.

Indeed, see Klaas, he is in the (for now) Dutch team.

From Marca, best 11 to miss this WC (although some may be in the backup lists, like Marcelo and Gaúcho):

1273668047_extras_noticia_foton_7_0.jpg

Diego Alves, Bridge, Zanetti, Milito, Marcelo, Cambiasso, Vieira, Diego, Ronaldinho, Pato and Benzema

I don't know why they included Diego Alves on the list, probably just because he plays in Spain, but there are other better Brazilian goalies who missed the WC. Diego Alves is good too though, and hopefully will move a big team this European Summer.

that team would probably get slapped silly by anyone half decent though tbh, as good as the players are individually...

He simply never proved to be good enough, as all his Olympic and senior national team games showed (only 1 goal in 8 senior games, and 2 in 6 Olympic ones). Nilmar and Robinho, who were his rivals for a spot in the team, are much more logical choices than him, and they are far more experienced too.

His poor attitude off the field and the injuries didn't help him either, but the main reason is that he didn't prove he deserved a spot.

A lot of shocks there, not seen too much but I thought Ronaldinho was back to... well not his best, but much improved this year, at least when I have watched him. Is Ronaldo playing well back in Brazil or people just feeling nostalgic?

A lot of shocks there, not seen too much but I thought Ronaldinho was back to... well not his best, but much improved this year, at least when I have watched him. Is Ronaldo playing well back in Brazil or people just feeling nostalgic?

Ronaldo played well last year, but this year he has been awful and a shadow of last year.

Roberto Carlos, on the other hand, is doing very well, but Dunga didn't even consider calling him up for the WC...

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to assume you're joking GillsMan.......

(Drogba and Ferdinand just in case you're not)

Yeah, a little bit. Got SSN on here and they're creaming their knickers. Yellow Ticker Tape glory!

Are there normally this many injuries to star players? We have several big names out and several others trying to recover from injury.

To be honest, the injury to Drogba doesn't matter. Cote d'Ivoire is massively overrated and weren't advancing past the group anyway.

Anyone else think this is due to the best players playing 50-60 games per season? Especially anyone involved in Europa League runs and the ridiculous number of matches there. Perhaps we'll need a similar thing to happen in 2012 for Platini to revert back to the old school Uefa Cup when it was just a knock-out, or for national FAs to look at their scheduling as well.

Archived