The Official Football Manager 2010 DEMO FEEDBACK Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only person who thinks the new user interface is awful? It looks over complicated and incredibly untidy. Whats with all the blank spaces? How in the hell do you get your players running lines on the tactics screen by the way? This is going to take ALOT of getting used to. Disappointed to be honest :(
Great post I wish this England match would hurry up and finish cant wait to get stuck in :D

What?!!? The skin is awful and is in danger of giving me an epileptic fit at any moment. Huge gaps everywhere, things squashed in it seems just for the sake of it, and I get completely lost in the tactic screen.

I'm too frightened to look at the training screen.

Are you having a laugh or just on the winded up fm10 is 10 times better then 09 was thats why 95% of the public so far are impressed even at this early stage this time last year fm09 demo was getting slammed left right and center

wots your gripes like?

Love the statistics, where did you pull them out of?

There are still lots of people have problems just getting the game to work (not me specifically) but its just not good enough.

Please do not assume you are talking for me, or anybody else!

I'm not, just for those who are reporting bugs and helping the testers resolve directx issues etc etc

• SI Staff
I have a question about the calendar bar at the top. At the moment it has all my reserves and U18s games as well as first team. Is there any way to change this? Its very annoying to have to check to see which ones are first team games...

No. It annoys me too. I'm sure as the calendar develops then the user will be able to choose what content they want to see here.

Yep, the demo uses quickstarts

Thank you for the reply. I could have sworn that previous demos had the normal new game option then just stopped after a few months. Looking good so far though. Currently a little confused with Spurs though. Joe Jordan seems to think we are lacking in quality up front and should sign fat boy Ronaldo?!?! Very strange. Also this backroom advice stuff looks like it might take some getting used to. Whats a "squad management expert"? A scout, a coach or what? Apparently Spurs have 0 of these things. but 16 "tactical".

No. It annoys me too. I'm sure as the calendar develops then the user will be able to choose what content they want to see here.

completely un-related to that subject but thought id ask a question myself..

why is the chelsea transfer embargo wrong?? as in dates....cant have them getting off lightly!!

:thup:

Okay, found the first real gripe and I'm wondering if its how its supposed to work.

Scouting:- highest recommended so far is 3 stars inc:

Player X (20yrs)- CA=decent premiership player (2 stars). PA= potential to be as good as Steven Gerrard (3 stars)

Player Y (20 yrs)- CA= decent premiership player (2stars). PA= potential to be as good as Carragher (3 stars)

Robinho = 3star CA and 3star PA. (most people know who he is so didn't need to conceal him)

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I'm too busy playing the demo to read all the way through this.

On the touchline Instructions when I select an item it says pending and will sometimes take several game minutes to action, when I shout at my players from the touchline I would expect the voice to carry straight to the players without delay.

Also I played a game behind closed doors and yet the feedback stated the fans would be going home happy. Attendance 0 (small thing I know)

Where do I install user created kits and badges to If I installed via steam ? Will they work with the demo ?

Love the statistics, where did you pull them out of?

There are still lots of people have problems just getting the game to work (not me specifically) but its just not good enough.

I'm not, just for those who are reporting bugs and helping the testers resolve directx issues etc etc

Maybe it's their computers that aren't good enough. With improved graphics and match engine so you will need a better machine.

completely un-related to that subject but thought id ask a question myself..

why is the chelsea transfer embargo wrong?? as in dates....cant have them getting off lightly!!

:thup:

Um, the dates aren't wrong. They're banned from signing players for the next two transfer windows aren't they? So the embargo ends at the end of the summer 2010 window.

Can I just say how happy I am with this demo, I played for about an hour now and I have uninstalled in complete anticipation of the full game. 100% yes yes yes. SI you have delivered good this year.

I know a few bugs will appear and a million people will whinge but for me happy days are here, well until the mrs cuts the plug off the PC that is LOL.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I'm too busy playing the demo to read all the way through this.

On the touchline Instructions when I select an item it says pending and will sometimes take several game minutes to action, when I shout at my players from the touchline I would expect the voice to carry straight to the players without delay.

Yep, a little bit frustrating.

Apart from that, I think the game is looking really really good having played it for like an hour or so only though! A little bit disappointed wit hthe dark skin. Looks a bit depressing with all the grey..

Love the 3d.

Any chance of any of the people in the SI Towers standing on the terraces in the game?

just a quick one, on the demo it says the chelsea tansfer embargo is untill 3rd september 2010....

i thought it was january 2011....??

That will take them past the end of the summer transfer window, so the next chance to sign will be in Jan 2011.

I've played around 10 games so far;

+

Windowed Mode - Finally

Dark Skin - Very nice

3D Engine - Looks good

Match analyses - Impressive

Switching trough pages - Much faster - Specially the player search page

Backroom feedback - Interesting and very good

Notes system - awesome

GUI - looking very clean, i like it!

The whole game is faster

News system - Is quite nice - But i don't think i will look much there

Stadiums & Sideline view - Nice

Injury marker in 3D Engine - Very nice

Tactic Wizard & Options - Good!

-

National teams U21 - I can't manage The Netherlands U21 for example. (is this because of the demo?!)

Filter Search players (National player's list) - If you search for players that can play for your U19 team with the Filter, there are still players that can't play in the next game. For example Bojan.

Also if i want to register the players it says: Players above the age of 19 are not playable, but all my players are 19 or under 19?!

Still not subbing on the first ball out.

If the ball goes against an advertising board, and the ball goes back to the goal, than the ball goes through the net.

(Sorry for my english)

I'd like to congratulate everyone at SI-this game has exceeded my wild expectations, absolutley brilliant! The polish is unbelievable-everything just feels effortless-it's the little touches. I honestly can't get over it.

A BIG WELL DONE!

Spotted a few things though:

1) When using quick shouts, if you change a tactic, a sub and a role at the same time, it seems the tactic reverts back to the original.

2) Though I love the new crowds, a lot of them seem to face the wrong way.

3)Like the new subscriptions-though it would be good if the BIG signings could be highlighted a little more than the Barnet loans from Arsenal (for example)

Nitpicking though-well impressed!

Could you please post 1) as a new thread in the User Interface bugs sub-forum (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159) and elaborate a little more?

Thanks.

This game is so blimmin' lovely. It's taken me a while but I'm getting used to the skin now. Match engine is superb, both 2D and 3D (I'm actually using 3D more, it's terrific). All the little details and touches, the analysis tool. I think this could be the first version which is perfectly playable out of the box. And if there is a patch made for it, it's going to be tiny.

£17.95 from Zavvi = bargain of the century. :thup:

I thought the demo was good; a perfect way to break in this new laptop I've aquired. The game runs smoothly and without lag or delay, which gives me hope to create a super league in Asia when the full game comes out. The only issue I had was that goalkeepers would sometimes do silly things, for example, the ball rolls past my goalkeeper who is less than a metre away, but the GK just stands there and allows their striker to shoot and score. Also, in my last match my player got sent off for a sliding tackle, although the player who was tackled was still on his feet. I am left to presume it was a two footed tackle but nothing in the commentary suggests so, so in reality I am left a bit unhappy that my star midfielder has been sent off for a relatively soft tackle that would maybe just get a yellow IRL at most.

However, I really enjoyed the demo very much! Glad I have the rest of the week off.

Thank you for the reply. I could have sworn that previous demos had the normal new game option then just stopped after a few months. Looking good so far though. Currently a little confused with Spurs though. Joe Jordan seems to think we are lacking in quality up front and should sign fat boy Ronaldo?!?! Very strange. Also this backroom advice stuff looks like it might take some getting used to. Whats a "squad management expert"? A scout, a coach or what? Apparently Spurs have 0 of these things. but 16 "tactical".

The number table in the bottom right hand corner shows the number of open conversation topics in that area. So a 16 next to Tactical would indicate 16 tactical advice messages from your staff have yet to be actioned or dismissed. Is this what you are referring to or have I misunderstood?

I'm really liking the new interface and tactics creator. 3D looks much improved, match analysis is very nice and the game seems to run very well. Only gripe so far is the press conferences which don't seem much different and I hated them in FM09. All in all, very impressed so far.

This game is so blimmin' lovely. It's taken me a while but I'm getting used to the skin now. Match engine is superb, both 2D and 3D (I'm actually using 3D more, it's terrific). All the little details and touches, the analysis tool. I think this could be the first version which is perfectly playable out of the box. And if there is a patch made for it, it's going to be tiny.

£17.95 from Zavvi = bargain of the century. :thup:

Exactly my thought and SI Well done have a pat on the back as I didn't find to much wrong with 09 but this is just bloody awesome been playing since it came out. The wife is probably on the verge of leaving me as she wants US to go to bed but I don't want to lol

I don't want to sound unapriciative, but this is the first thing I check since 2008 version. Always. (I have to say, that I've noticed better responsiveness, and the game seems to run smoother). I'm sure there are a lot more positives in the new game than that.

Anyway, the bug that is here since I don't even know how long(I've lost count) is still there.

If I have a tactic set like this:

2.jpg

The 2 people in the front, should move around(horizontaly) freely. Obviously it all depends on the game situation, instructions etc.

Let me put it this way. Should player with number 10 be sometimes positioned on the left of number 11, and sometimes on the right of number 11 player? (sometimes they could be verticaly aligned, but that's not the point). Let me aswer for everyone - YES.

1.jpg

Since FM 2006 it can't happen. They will never, never, never, ever do that. I've pointed this out year after year, and I'm really getting tired of this, since it ain't a bug that make game unable to being run, but it's still a bug, and it isn't fixed for 4 straight years.

The second picture shows the kick off of opposition team. During this period of time, every team is regrouping, and all the players are going back to their original position, according to the formation the coach used. So if the team playing with 4-3-3, had a right wing back gone all the way to the attack in the action prior to the goal kick, he will move back to his original position, so that the team is again compact prepared for deffensive phase. Just like everyone else.

Here, the player 11 should be more to the left, and player 10 should be more to the right, especialy number 10. Number 10 is acting, like he was playing with 4-4-2 tactic, as a right striker, but he is NOT!!! He is a lonely striker, and he should put himself between the oppositions center back duo.

I don't know how it is easier to explain, maybe with a video.

Both players are acting as if this(below) was the tactic, and IT IS NOT!!! I want a lonely striker, and a player who is playing as trequartista behind him.

3.jpg

ps. Will I have to wait another 5, 10 years for this small bug to be fixed ?

pps. To answer it in advance, it's not one situation of a kind(the goalkick). I'm aware this is not a game, where every situation has to look the same. But no matter if I would take 10, 100, or 1 000 000 of the kick offs of the same tactic, the screen will be the same(player 10 to the left, player 11 to the right).

Didnt want to make up a thread about this so thought it might be wise to ask in here if not please tell me where i could find out the answear.

Im currently playing on the Vanillia version and was wondering if there are any skins i could download and extract into the skin folder any help would be good. Cheers.

First thoughts;

It was always going to be an aim of SI to improve on what many could successfully argue to be a stale and lacklustre offer in FM09. Especially after Sega's CM has improved a bit this year.

I had quite a few concerns going into this version, and I'll list what my first thoughts are on each.

1) The "Itunes" inspired interface.

I was concerned that the new interface would come across tacky, gimmicky and lacking function. Thankfully, fears completely unfounded. The navigation (after adjusting your senses from FM09) is a dream, and becomes second nature after a few hours gameplay. The submenus work flawlessly, easing from one to the other - helped massively by the smoothness of the overall game engine (not on a "top end" PC either, simply a "reasonable" one.)

It's actually surprising how SI have basically transported the same menu content from FM09 and placed it into FM10 with 10 times more efficiency!

EDIT: I would highly recommend the "dark" version rather the eye-melting white background as a default. That's the only complaint.

2) The TT&F-inspired tactical frameworks would create a rigid match engine.

I was a vocal opponent of TT&F being used in FM10 to influence the tactical side of the new game in any way.

But it was used - and I'm delighted to say I was completely wrong; the new tactical wizard is nothing short of a complete masterstroke by SI.

Not only will long term fans appreciate the depth offered by the wizard as well as the numerous side options, it also allows access to a new generation of FM fans - creating tactics is no longer the domain of the gifted theoreticians on the forums!

That's not to say FM10 is "easy". It's made difficult by allowing the players individual managerial skill affect the outcome of a match, rather than a game-breaking super tactic. The "touchline instructions" addition is, again, an absolute genius addition. What you instruct, you see on the pitch.

3) The 3D match engine, if not improved, will look increasingly dated and ridiculous.

There's a bit more texture to the actual players this year, and they also have a bigger skillset. The players now meet the ball with their head rather than having it ping off a force field in front of him!

Of course, it isn't perfection - far from it - but it has been improved. The implementation of rain mid-game adds to the match day feeling (especially for Brits!), and the stadia are now a graphical feature; rather than a ridiculous 2D shadow!

4) The new game will be unplayable on low end PC's.

To be blunt, this is the smoothest running and most computer friendly version of FM ever seen. No complaints whatsoever.

There's the odd little nuisances in terms of language mistakes, unrealistic player stats in some areas, wrong kits etc. But compared to FM09's demo this time last year, FM10 is football management perfection with no noticeable bugs in actual playability.

Superb SI. Utterly superb.

If you could post that in the bugs forum that would be appreciated :)

Done.

ps. Thank you, this is the first time I get a response from official SI representative since 2006 when I first reported it(wasn't very stubborn about it, just 1 thread every year). I hope you guys will fix it, if not in the next patch(not jinxing it), but at the latest at FM2011.

Any plans on optimizing/tweaking the 3D engine in the mac version of Football Manager 2010?

The 3D match engine does not look half as good in OSX (on high setting) compared to Windows. And my Macbook Pro should be able to run the game on high settings...

Apart from this letdown (it was the case in FM09 as well...) it is a fantastic game - by far the best FM to date. Can't wait til Oct. 30th :)

Done.

ps. Thank you, this is the first time I get a response from official SI representative since 2006 when I first reported it(wasn't very stubborn about it, just 1 thread every year). I hope you guys will fix it, if not in the next patch(not jinxing it), but at the latest at FM2011.

No problem :thup:

Hope you are enjoying the demo aside from this issue :)

Um...downloaded the vanilla demo, the file is called "Setup_FM2010_Vanilla_Demo", and its just a "File" when you right click. There doesn't seem to be a Run or Install option, only Open, which just brings up a list of programs to open it in??? Can anyone help?

Archived