Group D - Germany vs Serbia: BBC1 @ 12:30

gillsminnow

ger.pngvs srb.png

Germany vs Serbia

Group D - 12:30 Kick Off

Referee: Alberto UNDIANO (ESP)

Venue: Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth

1983.jpg

The bus championing Germany for gold as they kicked off their 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ campaign was largely unpopulated. However just 90 minutes later the bandwagon was well and truly bustling, the consequence of a 4-0 rout of Australia. Serbia, by contrast, have gone from dark horses to reach the latter stages of the tournament, to outsiders for a place in the knockout stage, the result of a 1-0 defeat by Ghana.

Joachim Low and Radomir Antic will now send their charges out for a second time, with the Germans out to all but guarantee a place in the Round of 16 and Serbia simply needing something from the game to retain realistic hope of progression.

The match

Germany-Serbia, Nelson Mandela Day Stadium, Friday 18 June, 13.30 (local time)

Mesut Ozil, Thomas Muller, Lukas Podolski and Miroslav Klose ran riot first time out, and will now strive to put Serbia to the sword and enhance the emerging view that Germany are international football’s new entertainers. The Beli Orlovi lacked invention against Ghana, and will be hoping wingers Milos Krasic and Milan Jovanovic find their rhythm.

If Serbia lose and Ghana take something from their meeting with Australia, Antic’s team will take no hope of advancing into their final Group D game. Marko Pantelic, who spent four successful seasons in the Bundesliga before joining Ajax last year, and his towering strike partner Nikola Zigic will do their best to unravel a resolute German defence, while their defensive team-mates attempt to negate an attack which humiliated a team that conceded just one goal in eight games in the final round of Asian Zone qualifying.

Players to watch

Miroslav Klose v Nemanja Vidic

The Germany No11 served notice of his return to form with a goal against Australia. He now needs just four to equal Brazilian Ronaldo as the FIFA World Cup’s all-time leading marksman – a target he is intent on realising in South Africa. Vidic, one of the world’s finest centre-backs, will be out to nullify Klose in a battle of two players renowned for their aerial ability.

The stat

4 – The number of Serbia squad members who play their football in Germany: Antonio Rukavina (1860 Munich), Neven Subotic (Borussia Dortmund), Gojko Kacar (Hertha Berlin) and Zdravko Kuzmanovic (Stuttgart).

What they say

“We are not the fantastic team which everyone makes us out to be, but we have every reason to look forward to the Serbia game with quiet confidence. It will be a different type of game as they desperately need a win. We won't win every game 4-0, but we have nothing to fear,” Thomas Muller, Germany forward.

“Germany were very impressive against Australia. They have made the biggest impact at the World Cup so far. They are like a machine, they have seven players going forward. If we want to upset them, we will have to show no fear and play the best we can, because we face a better team,” Milan Jovanovic, Serbia winger.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deutschland! Deutschland! Win by 5 or more please!

Are Serbia not the dark horse people (including me) thought they were a week ago, or was the Ghana game a one of? Any German Serbia game is sure to be testy, I think this one will be fun. Will also be good to get a better barometer of Germany's ability, since Australia barely tested them the other day.

Serbia seem to be the classic looks good on paper but play pretty awfully. Was going to put a cheeky bet on them to win the World Cup looking at their squad and considering they were 33-1. Definetely won't know, but let's see if they can play well today. Germany win surely.

Schland! Pity about the bandwagon stuff, but that's something all winners have I suppose.

I hope Germany can blast another bunch in, but at least one goal from Pantelic :cool: as well.

Schland! Pity about the bandwagon stuff, but that's something all winners have I suppose.

I hope Germany can blast another bunch in, but at least one goal from Pantelic :cool: as well.

Obviously Germany makes it on your list of accepted nations. Cannot wait to see you posting in another Italy match thread. Although last time you got me into some anti-Italy posts :D

Obviously Germany makes it on your list of accepted nations. Cannot wait to see you posting in another Italy match thread. Although last time you got me into some anti-Italy posts :D

Germany is firmly my second team. I live there, follow the Bundesliga closely. German football is excellent.

And of course you made anti-Italy posts. If you like football, it's impossible not to :D

• Administrators

Teams:

Germany: Neuer, Friedrich, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Podolski, Klose, Muller, Badstuber, Lahm ©, Mertesacker

Serbia: Stojkovic, Kolarov, Vidic, Ivanovic, Stankovic ©, Jovanovic, Zigic, Krasic, Ninkovic, Subotic, Kuzmanovic

I'm hoping for a 4-1 victory for Germany, two goals to come before half time, them getting 10+ corners and Krasic to score a consolation. That's awesome betting :cool:

- Germany to win by 3 or more goals

- Germany to get 10+ corners

- Krasic to score at anytime

- Over 1.5 goals at Half Time

:thup:

Looking forward to a good game. Hopefully today is as good as yesterday was.

Germans have the right idea with Neuer, number 1 goalie for the forseeable future. Hopefully England can do the same with Joe Hart after this WC.

Isn't Adler the number 1, with Neuer only playing due to his injury?

Archived