Is anyone else seeing really, really bad offside calls in this version?

I must admit I did witness quite a few goals being disallowed due to offsides (more than in previous FM versions), but I never saw and evaluated the situations because I only follow games in this version via commentary, since I already rage quited a few times due to some bugs I saw watching the games in 3D...

I've had some of the most ridiculous offsides I've seen in any version of FM in 2014. Case in point. My team lose the ball from a corner, it's headed out to the opposition midfielder who bombs up the pitch, skins my CM, then slots a beautiful pass through my defence for his team mate to run on to. Luckly the pass is a little strong and my goalkeeper intercepts. He throws the ball to my RM, who passes it to my CM. He dinks the ball over his opposite number to my DLF, who is standing in my half of the centre circle. Ahead of him is the opposition back four, their DM, my LM, and my AF. He controls the ball on his chest, it drops to his feet, and he takes a touch. And is blown offside. With 5 opposition players and 2 team-mates between him and the goal, and still in his own half. I've seen many, many decisions given where the forward is actually in the process of being tackled by the backline, or recieving the ball just in front (ie towards my own goal) of the back four, and gets blown offside. It's one of the greatest frustrations in this game, the offside is, to be blunt, off.

If he's still in his own half, it doesn't matter how many players are in front of him, he can't physically be offside. You'd need to report that as a bug I'd think.

I have to say I agree that offsides are 'off' but I'm looking at it from the opposite direction. I'm to close on 1800 hours in this version now, and I haven't seen a single wrong offside call yet.

Over the course of my save I can count on one hand how many goals I have had disallowed that were blatantly onside. Most are marginal and I can, through gritted teeth, accept. To flip it somewhat I have just got through to the CL Quarter Final with a 91st minute header that looked clear as day offside so in my opinion all is good with the world. :D

I know that the game is supposed to get some wrong, but some of the calls I have seen have been ridiculous. Is anyone else seeing this, or am I just being unlucky?

A 2006 study commissioned by FIFA found that 33% of all offside calls were incorrect. Sepp Blatter (and Michel Platini), at the time, claimed it was 'good for football' to have talking points.

A 2006 study commissioned by FIFA found that 33% of all offside calls were incorrect. Sepp Blatter (and Michel Platini), at the time, claimed it was 'good for football' to have talking points.

Are 33% as obviously wrong as the above? I don't have an issue with "close" calls being wrong, but some of the things I have seen are just stupid.

Had one offside where the other team had an injured player sitting on the pitch by his own goalkeeper. The offside occurred at the half-line. Missed call by the ref by about...oh...50 yards or so... Had to turn off the game and take a break at that point.

If you turn on the replay goal action you begin to realise that there are loads, well a few, bad calls against you.

Scored a good goal in the champions league final last night got call for offside replays showed it wasn't then lost on penalties was so angry.

had one go for me, all the play was on the right wing, suddenly offside call... keeper takes the ball to take the free kick... from the middle of the D outside the box..

the ball went nowhere near there, and the play was in the box....

If you turn on the replay goal action you begin to realise that there are loads, well a few, bad calls against you.

Scored a good goal in the champions league final last night got call for offside replays showed it wasn't then lost on penalties was so angry.

If you turn on the replay goal action you begin to realise that there are loads, well a few, bad calls for you.

Opponent scored a good goal in the champions league final last night got call for offside replays showed it wasn't then won on penalties was so happy.

If you turn on the replay goal action you begin to realise that there are loads, well a few, bad calls for you.

Opponent scored a good goal in the champions league final last night got call for offside replays showed it wasn't then won on penalties was so happy.

Seems like you had better luck than me :D

Had one offside where the other team had an injured player sitting on the pitch by his own goalkeeper. The offside occurred at the half-line. Missed call by the ref by about...oh...50 yards or so... Had to turn off the game and take a break at that point.

This IS in the rules for offside. The interfering with play rule sort of applies to defenders as well. If a player is deemed no involved with play due to injury, then he does not count as a defender for offside calls. Obviously if he goes down injured seconds before a pass, that's different, but the fact play was 50 yards away from the defender and he was already on the floor means the rule has been fairly/correctly applied in your case.

• 2 months later...

I'm averaging 1.8 disallowed goals for offsides in FM14, I've only played 13 matches so far. Not to mention all the times where my players are just offsides for god knows why. This is so frustrating.

I'm averaging 1.8 disallowed goals for offsides in FM14, I've only played 13 matches so far. Not to mention all the times where my players are just offsides for god knows why. This is so frustrating.

Look at your strikers, what orders are you giving them? do they have high attributes in the likes of off the ball, decision making etc?

Probably best I don't do that then, as there are enough idiotic crap in the game that annoys me plenty enough already. But I've stopped fistpumping or whatever when we score, as so many goals get called off for what looks like very dodgy decisions to me (I sometimes pause to check it myself).

This IS in the rules for offside. The interfering with play rule sort of applies to defenders as well. If a player is deemed no involved with play due to injury, then he does not count as a defender for offside calls. Obviously if he goes down injured seconds before a pass, that's different, but the fact play was 50 yards away from the defender and he was already on the floor means the rule has been fairly/correctly applied in your case.

This I did not know! Fair enough. Although, given this this is soccer, what it the injury is a hangnail and the player is rolling around on the pitch as though he's been shot or stabbed?

I'm almost certain you're not sorrect here. I've seen England U21s score a disgraceful goal against Serbia U21s at the Euro a few years ago with this being the exact situation. England player was kept on by an injured player in the box and would otherwise have been off by a country mile. Goal stood because the English players didn't realise knocking the ball out when someone's been on the ground for 30s was an option.

Did you just make this up?

If a defender is lying injured on the floor in the 6 yard box, (yes it's an extreme example I know), then are you suggesting that because he might not be interfering with play then in fact he is not playing everyone on-side?

I'm almost certain you're not sorrect here. I've seen England U21s score a disgraceful goal against Serbia U21s at the Euro a few years ago with this being the exact situation. England player was kept on by an injured player in the box and would otherwise have been off by a country mile. Goal stood because the English players didn't realise knocking the ball out when someone's been on the ground for 30s was an option.
Did you just make this up?

If a defender is lying injured on the floor in the 6 yard box, (yes it's an extreme example I know), then are you suggesting that because he might not be interfering with play then in fact he is not playing everyone on-side?

Okay...so rule or not a rule? It did seem fishy when it happened to me...

The goal didn't stand because "the English players didn't realise knocking the ball out when someone's been on the ground for 30s was an option" The goal stood because there was no reason to rule it out. The England players could have chosen to kick the ball out, but there is nothing that says they have to. There is also no reason to stop the game from the ref's point of view, (unless it's a head injury or an obviously serious injury).

If he stops the game because of a head injury or a serious injury, then it still has no impact on whether it's offside or not. he just stops the game and if he does so before a goal is scored then it's no goal.

In this case it's a valid goal.

The player IS played onside by the injured player.

If the ref wants to stop play to deal with the injury then that's a completely separate point, but it is just not offside. The reason it's not offside is because the injured player is playing them onside.

The suggestion that he isn't playing them onside because he is not interfering with play is quite frankly absurd.

The interfering with play rule does not "sort of" apply to defenders as well. Not even a little bit.

The goal didn't stand because "the English players didn't realise knocking the ball out when someone's been on the ground for 30s was an option" The goal stood because there was no reason to rule it out. The England players could have chosen to kick the ball out, but there is nothing that says they have to. There is also no reason to stop the game from the ref's point of view, (unless it's a head injury or an obviously serious injury).

If he stops the game because of a head injury or a serious injury, then it still has no impact on whether it's offside or not. he just stops the game and if he does so before a goal is scored then it's no goal.

If the ref wants to stop play to deal with the injury then that's a completely separate point, but it is just not offside. The reason it's not offside is because the injured player is playing them onside.

The suggestion that he isn't playing them onside because he is not interfering with play is quite frankly absurd.

The interfering with play rule does not "sort of" apply to defenders as well. Not even a little bit.

This pretty much. The ref makes a call whether he wants to deal with the injured player and stop play. If he doesn't then he's an active player and eligible for offside decisions. If he was injured and lay off the pitch or rolled off the pitch, then it'd be different.

There is nothing that says a team has to put the ball out if someone is on thrill or injured until the ref stops the game. I'd be furious if my team was on the attack and they put the ball out for an injured defender in fairness.

I completely agree with you and can't figure out if you thought for some reason I was disagreeing.

I only made a comment about how the English players were a bit unsportsman like, but the point of my post was to say that the goal rightly stood because the previous poster seemed to imply defenders could "not interfere with play".

Okay...so rule or not a rule? It did seem fishy when it happened to me...

The "rule":

Any defending player leaving the field of play for any reason without the referee's permission shall be considered to be on his own goal line or touch line for the purposes of offside until the next stoppage in play. If the player leaves the field of play deliberately, he must be cautioned when the ball is next out of play

This means that every defending player cannot be considered "out of the play" unless they leave the field with the referee's permission. On the other hand, an attacking player may or may not "interfere with play" depending on what he's doing.

The "rule":

Any defending player leaving the field of play for any reason without the referee's permission shall be considered to be on his own goal line or touch line for the purposes of offside until the next stoppage in play. If the player leaves the field of play deliberately, he must be cautioned when the ball is next out of play

This means that every defending player cannot be considered "out of the play" unless they leave the field with the referee's permission. On the other hand, an attacking player may or may not "interfere with play" depending on what he's doing.

Thanks, that's what I thought. So this was a really bad offside call...by about 50 yards or so.

• 3 years later...

There are more offisides now due to passive players who do not actually touch the ball, but who are forcing the defenders to do things that they would not have to do if the player had not been there. I actually reported this as a problem in FM17, where you did not have this rule.

For instance, imagine a long ball is played towards a player who is clearly in an offside position. The defender, who is deciding to play it safe, gets his head to the ball, but the clearance is poor and goes straight to an opposition player. This player then immediately plays a through ball to an onside, unmarked striker, who scores. Should it be offside?

To me, and in the game, the answer is yes. The defender made the poor clearance because of an offside player. This player, despite not directly being involved in the play, has caused a defensive error from the defender. Therefore, the attacking side has gained an advantage from a player who is offside, and hence a free kick should be called. This exact situation once cost me a Champion's League final, where I conceded this exact goal late in the game.

That players can now be offside even if the ball never gets to them is why we are seeing more offside calls, I think, and more goals disallowed when you would not expect to see them. Take the Rooney example above. Whilst Rooney is onside here, he could have been offside previously, forcing a defender to react in an improper way. Of course, it can also be buggy, and if you are convinced it is, report it. The system can definitely be tuned anyway, since there are many times where offside is called after a perfectly fine clearance that sets up a potential counter attack. Overall, however, I rarely have huge issues with the offside calls in the game.

Many, horrific calls.

It's not just the offiside calls themselves that are bonkers it's the players actions sometimes to.

I've seen multiple times, a defender/midfielder attempt a through ball, only for it to be intercepted by my defender, only - it doesn't get intercepted, the balls makes it way to me defender, slowly and easily, straight to him, only he stops moving, and waits for the player it was intented to, to run past him, and I'm thinking, wtf mate, and then the offside is called, like my defender all along could see the players exact position depsite facing in the wrong direction and that an offside would be called, instead of just trapping the ball and contining with play.

Game gets worse every year, whether outright scripting or graphical bugs

Archived