Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I went for a formation without fullbacks instead. I have another problem with my 3 CD formation though. The central defender is always the first one to step out of the line to close down a loose player but the outer CD's don't push inside after, leaving huge gaps to be exploited by the opposition. Any ideas on how to counter this? I've tried player the central CD as a cover CD with close down less, but that doesn't stop him from going out either.

I haven't played much with 3 at the back in this recent match engine. It used to be that they three backs were really spread out wide, and one of the changes introduced this year was to keep them more compact. Beyond that, I can't really be of help to you on this one at this point in time. :(

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has look for overlap any affect on wide forward's forward run ?

If you mean someone in the AMR/AML slots, yes. This will instruct him to hold up the ball and look for an overlapping runner from deep. It can also happen with a central forward who moves out wide, but this I haven't seen near as much.

If you mean someone in the AMR/AML slots, yes. This will instruct him to hold up the ball and look for an overlapping runner from deep. It can also happen with a central forward who moves out wide, but this I haven't seen near as much.

But it does not affect their out off ball movement, it does ?

But it does not affect their out off ball movement, it does ?

No, look for overlap just tells wide players to hold ball and look for an overlapping runner. It doesn't change their movement patterns on the pitch.

Hello guys.

This sounds strange but i've just started to play FM15 yesterday, the most recent FM i played was FM12. I'd like to have some help in the training part please.

I'm a little confused by the general training part, do you guys think it's important as individual training? What do you normally do and at which intensity?

Thank you.

Hello guys.

This sounds strange but i've just started to play FM15 yesterday, the most recent FM i played was FM12. I'd like to have some help in the training part please.

I'm a little confused by the general training part, do you guys think it's important as individual training? What do you normally do and at which intensity?

Thank you.

It's a bit of reading but this explains how training works. I suggest taking the time to read it though if FM12 is the most recent as training is completely different now and this explains how it functions etc;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380395-Ajax-When-Real-Life-Meets-Football-Manager-FM14

Thank you Cleon.

I remember i've read that amazing thread by the time you posted.

I'm at work and i've read it again. You explain what general training does, do you have any other posts where you give examples of how you use it?

I also prefer very much the individual training. How much emphasis do you give to the general one?

Thanks.

Thank you Cleon.

I remember i've read that amazing thread by the time you posted.

I'm at work and i've read it again. You explain what general training does, do you have any other posts where you give examples of how you use it?

I also prefer very much the individual training. How much emphasis do you give to the general one?

Thanks.

All of this is explained in that thread and you can see how it works with all the examples in the thread. And it clearly states how to handle general training if you want to focus on individual training so you get the best results possible.

"Remember that because I am focusing on individual attributes or roles that I set general training slider to match training 20% or less and give the players heavy focus for their role. It's also important I leave it on balanced due to the reasons explained in the training section of this thread.

Yes, you are right! Thanks Cleon.

If i tick exploit the middle does this have any effect on my narrowness? ie does it make my team play narrower? if this is the case, would clicking exploit middle and play wider counteract this?

The good thing about FM16 is that on the TI screen if one setting makes changes to another you can visualy see it. On the width setting if you change the mentality you can see the number of available options change.

I can't recall if exploiting the middle changes the width setting, if it does then you'll see the width settings change or the number of options change. I strongly suspect not.

The good thing about FM16 is that on the TI screen if one setting makes changes to another you can visualy see it. On the width setting if you change the mentality you can see the number of available options change.

I can't recall if exploiting the middle changes the width setting, if it does then you'll see the width settings change or the number of options change. I strongly suspect not.

If i tick exploit the middle does this have any effect on my narrowness? ie does it make my team play narrower? if this is the case, would clicking exploit middle and play wider counteract this?

It is possible that it would not show on the width bar. In past FMs, exploit the middle *did* narrow the attacking shape and it isn't clear if anything has changed with that or not. That an exploit the flanks were always different from the focus passing instructions we used to have. The best way to try and tell for sure is to watch the match and compare, though it is hard to tell sometimes.

Hi,

What's the real importance of the Coach stats for the first season? I'm talking about the character profile (us, the people who is managing the team).

What usually we should use? I normally try to use the real stuff, but the first 6 months are harder... and the players don't feel that you know what you are doing.

I don’t like to be the Super Manager, but at what point should we use a more credible stats to have more realism?

Thanks,

P Pinto

Is it worrying to play really badly in pre season? Cause I am almost 100% sure it's not my tactics.

No you can't really tell how you will play once the competitive games starts after preseason. Use it to get tactic familiarity all fluid and to get every single player match fit etc.

From goal kicks, is there any way to get your team to drop deep and wide to pass out from the back? If not, I take it there's no way to say "pass it really short, but if you have to kick it long, kick it to my CF"? My keeper follows my instructions for shorter passing when the ball hasn't gone out of play but for actual goal kicks our team seem to move up the pitch a bit too much and he always passes to the wings presumably as they have the most space, but they predictably lose that battle as the opposition has time to get to the aerial ball. I understand that if the opposition are pressing high up its risky/not possible to pass out from the back but even against passive teams (I use a counter mentality also) my team just automatically push up the field, not giving my keeper any option.

I'm not a complete tactical dunce in game, but i'm struggling to see why I'm able to dominate the first half most of games and completely lose it the next half.

Generally speaking, i'll score 2 or 3 goals and dominate but then, I can't for the life of me hold on to the lead..

Is there anything specific I should be looking to do? or best to create a detailed thread about this?

No you can't really tell how you will play once the competitive games starts after preseason. Use it to get tactic familiarity all fluid and to get every single player match fit etc.

Mkay, many thanks. Was freaking out a bit how I was getting dicked on randomly.

From goal kicks, is there any way to get your team to drop deep and wide to pass out from the back? If not, I take it there's no way to say "pass it really short, but if you have to kick it long, kick it to my CF"? My keeper follows my instructions for shorter passing when the ball hasn't gone out of play but for actual goal kicks our team seem to move up the pitch a bit too much and he always passes to the wings presumably as they have the most space, but they predictably lose that battle as the opposition has time to get to the aerial ball. I understand that if the opposition are pressing high up its risky/not possible to pass out from the back but even against passive teams (I use a counter mentality also) my team just automatically push up the field, not giving my keeper any option.

Distribute to full backs is (unfortunately) the only current distribution option that actually alters the shape of your back line (the full backs will drop deeper). If you use that, you'll achieve a short pass to the defence, and if they're pressed he will instead lump it.

The sort of wide split you want is something that has been raised in wish list threads and warrants raising again as a variety of defensive shapes at these "set plays" would benefit the game.

I'm not a complete tactical dunce in game, but i'm struggling to see why I'm able to dominate the first half most of games and completely lose it the next half.

Generally speaking, i'll score 2 or 3 goals and dominate but then, I can't for the life of me hold on to the lead..

Is there anything specific I should be looking to do? or best to create a detailed thread about this?

I'd start a thread. It all depends on what got you the two / three goal lead and what you subsequently did.

I have seen a couple of screenshots showing the roles that the opposition play. Is that related to a skin, or is it an option I can check in the game? In 15 I could also go to the profile of the team and it would show me their last starting eleven and their roles. Can someone help me with setting this up again?

I have seen a couple of screenshots showing the roles that the opposition play. Is that related to a skin, or is it an option I can check in the game? In 15 I could also go to the profile of the team and it would show me their last starting eleven and their roles. Can someone help me with setting this up again?

It's a skin. Check the skinning forum as I'm not sure any are available for FM16 yet.

I have always wondered - what does the technique attribute really mean?

I mean, in real life when I say that a player has a good technique I refer to the accuracy of his paasing/crossing abs his ball control, but in fm the technique attribute is seperated from those attributes. Passing describes passing ability, crossing describes crossing ability, dribbling describes ball control and dribbling ability, so what does technique describe?

I have always wondered - what does the technique attribute really mean?

I mean, in real life when I say that a player has a good technique I refer to the accuracy of his paasing/crossing abs his ball control, but in fm the technique attribute is seperated from those attributes. Passing describes passing ability, crossing describes crossing ability, dribbling describes ball control and dribbling ability, so what does technique describe?

It's how good he is with the ball at his feet. A high technique attribute means he can do the more tricky stuff with the ball.

I've only just downloaded the demo so forgive this dumb question.

I like to play 4-3-3 with the two outside midfield players (mcl & mcr) running wide with the ball, but in FM16 I can just not see that option, has it been removed?

Thanks in advance :-)

Hello guys.

Does these roles and duties distribution work in theory? (same formation as Cleon's in Enganche thread but with some differente roles):

DL - FB attack

RWB - WB attack

DC- CD Defend

DC - CD Defend

DMC - HB

MCL - BWM support

MCR - BBM

AMC - SS

AML - IF attack

STCR - CF support

Thanks!

Hello guys.

Does these roles and duties distribution work in theory? (same formation as Cleon's in Enganche thread but with some differente roles):

DL - FB attack

RWB - WB attack

DC- CD Defend

DC - CD Defend

DMC - HB

MCL - BWM support

MCR - BBM

AMC - SS

AML - IF attack

STCR - CF support

Thanks!

Try it and see. I say it all the time but most things look okay on paper, it's not until you try it in game with the players you have if you know if it'll work or not.

Would a Enganche through the middle and an AP-S on the flank work together in a 4231 in theory? The other flank will have a IF.

Same as above. Why deal with theory when it will take you seconds to see in game if it works for you or not?

I've only just downloaded the demo so forgive this dumb question.

I like to play 4-3-3 with the two outside midfield players (mcl & mcr) running wide with the ball, but in FM16 I can just not see that option, has it been removed?

Thanks in advance :-)

Any assistance with the above would be appreciated.

Stupid question - My English isn't that great, so this is a really dumb one...

"Lateral" movement means side-to-side right?

Is that what Moves into channels encourages?

Lateral is side to side. Move into Channels sort of does this, but really it is more looking for runs in spaces that are open between defenders, which are generally lateral, but don't have to be- it depends a lot on how the defense is set up.

What is different between 'move into channels' and 'roam from position'. What would I aspect to my player (who has one of them or both) ? Can anyone explain to me please ? Thank you.

Roam from position means the player will have a free role and look to find space away from his set position. Moves into channels is the space between the fullback and central defender.

Roam from position means the player will have a free role and look to find space away from his set position. Moves into channels is the space between the fullback and central defender.

Thank you Cleon. So with roam from position player can move backward, forward or sideways away from position, with moves into channels player will be in the space more likely. Am I clear ?

Game 1: I win 4-1. I have 27 shots, 16 on target, 5 CCC's. Opposition has 5 (1) shots. Dominating everything - all good.

Game 2: I lose 0-3. The opposition has 32 shots, I have 4.

I just don't know how to react to things like this. How can your team go from one extreme to another in just a few days? If you any of you guys had these two games back to back, would you change your tactics?

Thank you Cleon. So with roam from position player can move backward, forward or sideways away from position, with moves into channels player will be in the space more likely. Am I clear ?

Yes.

Game 1: I win 4-1. I have 27 shots, 16 on target, 5 CCC's. Opposition has 5 (1) shots. Dominating everything - all good.

Game 2: I lose 0-3. The opposition has 32 shots, I have 4.

I just don't know how to react to things like this. How can your team go from one extreme to another in just a few days? If you any of you guys had these two games back to back, would you change your tactics?

It's an extreme change in fortunes, but without context, it's hard to comment. We'd need to understand who you'd played and where (home or away), and we'd obviously need to see if the system you use has anything which might exacerbate the dramatic change.

If I instruct (via PI's) a WM-S to "get further forward" does he essentially take up the same attacking threat as a WM-A would, who has that PI ticked on by default?

Or does the WM-S with that PI basically play like... somewhere between a normal WM-S and WM-A ?

Cheers.

Does dribble less instruction affect also on those files that are hard-coded to dribble lot?

Are you talking about the PPMs? If so, then no, the PPM is a tendency that overrides player and team instructions

Hello guys.

What's the point of instruct a IF-A to sit narrower? Wouldn't that be taking away the effectiveness and purpose of that role (explore the space by cutting inside)?

Not really. If you are using a wide formation to start with, then you could be looking for him to occupy a space between defenders. He will still be out wider than a central AM, so will still cut inside, but he won't be coming in from as far. It can be a useful instruction if there is a specific area of the pitch you want to exploit.

Guest El Payaso
Are you talking about the PPMs? If so, then no, the PPM is a tendency that overrides player and team instructions

No I mean the team instruction "dribble less".

I didn't know where to put this!

How about a sticky of threads which emulate real life tactics? I know I'm always searching the forum for historic tactics and such and I can't always find them, it'd be nice to just be able to check a sticky for the style I wanted to read about. Maybe up to the discretion of the moderating staff as to what gets added.

I'm thinking threads like Barcelona my interpretation, Sacchi, the magical magyars thread that kind of thing. There's a lot of great threads which are long off the first page.