Strikers issue....and it is issue in my opinion

So....strikers dos'nt strike.Especially short strikers canot score a goal.I have issue with Robinho at first playing for MC.Now i play Arsenal.I got Aguero,i have Vela.Both are hopeless.Absolutely hopeless.Aguero scored 7 goals in 22 games...Vela scored 0!! goals in league and 2 goals in Champions league against some polish team.They have average rating around 6.3.

Bendtner is beter somehow...6 goals in 12 games.

Veloso whom i got scored 10 goals in 16 games....

What is the deal?Looks like short strikers are useless somehow...

I played for MC 4.5.1 with Arsenal i play 4.4.2 knapp.Im first in league,not complain here,for sure not cuz of my strikers are productive thou:(

Anyone have same problem?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So....strikers dos'nt strike.Especially short strikers canot score a goal.I have issue with Robinho at first playing for MC.Now i play Arsenal.I got Aguero,i have Vela.Both are hopeless.Absolutely hopeless.Aguero scored 7 goals in 22 games...Vela scored 0!! goals in league and 2 goals in Champions league against some polish team.They have average rating around 6.3.

Bendtner is beter somehow...6 goals in 12 games.

Veloso whom i got scored 10 goals in 16 games....

What is the deal?Looks like short strikers are useless somehow...

I played for MC 4.5.1 with Arsenal i play 4.4.2 knapp.Im first in league,not complain here,for sure not cuz of my strikers are productive thou:(

Anyone have same problem?

this has been raied many times now mate. its under review at S.I. and has been reported to Q&A who have assured everyone it will be looked into by testers. :thup:

this has been raied many times now mate. its under review at S.I. and has been reported to Q&A who have assured everyone it will be looked into by testers. :thup:

Sorry i did'nt know this.I just playing and playing...not reading too much.My bad:)

Well good to hear Si will have look at this problem.

Strikers do not score nearly enough goals in this game and get very low ratings. I'm sure this will not be as bad after the patch.

Which means either:

1. My strikers are gonna be even better and hotter because Ive worked it out

or

2. Ill have to rework my tactic again, because the way I play is adopted to the engine as it is now.

And as usual I will go for #2 - happens every FM, for each patch I need to redo my tactics :(

My short strikers are fine...

Saivet is about 24 from 50. Averaging 7.04 now, he's still very inconsistant, but he's doing very well for himself.

It's all about the style your team plays. Playing wide and crossing isn't going to do anything useful for short strikers!

Saivet is about 24 from 50. Averaging 7.04 now, he's still very inconsistant, but he's doing very well for himself.

It's all about the style your team plays. Playing wide and crossing isn't going to do anything useful for short strikers!

I know....but i have mixed play.When Vela or Aguero have ball they do always something stupid at front of goal...trying to pass or they shot on gola and goalkeeper saves it or they simply canot keep ball....Don't know what to think.

• SI Staff

Strikers in real life should score around 50-55% of all goals. As it happens, for 9.2 this is edging up towards 60% for some lower divisions, which might be a little higher than RL, but should please a lot of people on here ;)

Which means either:

And as usual I will go for #2 - happens every FM, for each patch I need to redo my tactics :(

Thats a shame... Personaly I adapt med tactics after my team, and not the other way around.

Isn't that the beauty of FM? I've never understood people who use the same 2 or 3 tactics all the time, or download someone elses to use as their own. making your own is really really simple. Choose a formation that works for you, try to change as few of the personal sliders as possible and watch your team win.

My strikers work like a charm. My star striker right now, Benzema, has scored an average 1.2 gpg over the last 24 matches and regularly gets a match rating of 8+

Pretty much perfect striker behaviour. Even my second best striker has scored 11 goals in the last 24 matches.

My point being, they work fine. They do not need patching in my opinion.

-E-

Thats a shame... Personaly I adapt med tactics after my team, and not the other way around.

Isn't that the beauty of FM? I've never understood people who use the same 2 or 3 tactics all the time, or download someone elses to use as their own. making your own is really really simple. Choose a formation that works for you, try to change as few of the personal sliders as possible and watch your team win.

I look at the squad I start with, find a formation that could suit them - then tweak it as much as possible, to suit both the players and ME behaviour. Like you say, making tactics aint hard, neither is getting strikers to score - the problem for many people I think is to see the team as a unit. Often they try everything with their strikers, whilst the real problem lies somewhere else.

Or that they dont understand the sliders and what they do - which I can understand. The settings of the sliders arent always following "normal" logic.

But SI have tweaked the engine, and it will be exciting to see what impact it has on the strikers in my beloved team:)

• SI Staff
My strikers work like a charm. My star striker right now, Benzema, has scored an average 1.2 gpg over the last 24 matches and regularly gets a match rating of 8+

Pretty much perfect striker behaviour. Even my second best striker has scored 11 goals in the last 24 matches.

My point being, they work fine. They do not need patching in my opinion.

-E-

1.2 goals per game is pretty amazing - I'm struggling to think of any real life examples of that at top class level.......perhaps we need to tone him down in a patch? :p

1.2 goals per game is pretty amazing - I'm struggling to think of any real life examples of that at top class level.......perhaps we need to tone him down in a patch? :p

Hahaha, don't you dare! He is just on a great run of form, I doubt it will last forever. Last season he was not performing as well, which is what makes it even more realistic ;)

-E-

Strikers in real life should score around 50-55% of all goals. As it happens, for 9.2 this is edging up towards 60% for some lower divisions, which might be a little higher than RL, but should please a lot of people on here ;)

but if you keep tweaking it then it will not be the real-life experience you promise. sometimes keeprs are just having the performances of their life like sometimes they do. friedel against man utd last season rings a few bells or schwarzer (correct spelling?) this season against liverpool. imo it is probably his tactics.

"it's your tactics"

exactly i just posted this in another thread. my strikers are on fire.

it definitely is tactics, if they are short make sure you don't use long ball. fairly obvious... or you could just buy a tall striker for the smaller ones to play off, i recommend pavel pogrebnyak he's scoring loads of goals and cost me just 3.4mil. if his composure was better then he would be one of the best strikers on the game

it's not a problem the amount of goals strikers score. i defenetly don't want every striker to be able to score some 40 goals like in previous versions of FM. it's more about how goals are scored in general, too many screamers for my liking. with so many people moaning about 1 on 1's there must be a problem in ME.

for me it's a defensive issue where too many 1 on 1's happen. what i'd like to see in the patch is:

- further improvement of defenders marking and positioning

- especially full backs' positioning needs to be looked at as they stick too much to the strikers, leaving space for wingers

- slight increase in 1 on 1's conversation ratio

- decrease in clearences turning into 1 on 1. - 'GK bug'

- slight decrease in long shots effectivness

- right sided left footed wingers (and vice versa) cutting and drifting in a lot more. especially creative types which are set to cross the ball rarely

Yeah I've been trying for SO many hours and days to get the wingers to cut in instead of running down the line but it is impossible. They would do it sometimes but 80% of the time they'll just run down the line and cross, then ball would hit the defender for a corner. This repeats after itself over and over.

I've tried everything that people have suggested. Things like using right footer for left side, free role, crossing to rare, giving dribble through centre preferred move, etc etc. They don't work. No matter what you do a player in the wing position will always run down the line. If you set crossing to rare, they will still run down the line but they won't cross but hold the ball in confusion and try a short pass which fails. I have concluded it is impossible to replicate a ronaldo/messi like winger.

Height isn't factored in the match engine, jumping and heading are. So.... um?

well im playing as forest,

i rotate Tooth, Tyson and Murphy on loan from Sunderland, they all got 4 in 8..

Murphey scores more headers cos hes over 6ft, earnshaw scores from beating the last man alot, Tyson and scored 3 from out side the 18 yard box as first time snap shots.

iv only managed about 15 games so far.

Yeah I've been trying for SO many hours and days to get the wingers to cut in instead of running down the line but it is impossible. They would do it sometimes but 80% of the time they'll just run down the line and cross, then ball would hit the defender for a corner. This repeats after itself over and over.

I've tried everything that people have suggested. Things like using right footer for left side, free role, crossing to rare, giving dribble through centre preferred move, etc etc. They don't work. No matter what you do a player in the wing position will always run down the line. If you set crossing to rare, they will still run down the line but they won't cross but hold the ball in confusion and try a short pass which fails. I have concluded it is impossible to replicate a ronaldo/messi like winger.

I agree 100% with you.This is my problem for 70% of game.They just run and kick ball into defender...corner! Other issue is...they pass too much to players who are at back.Aguero always seems to do some weird thing with ball and he will loose it or pass it to some defender.Vela...i don't even know he is there...he is propably sneaky.Eduardo...he didn't score yet.Best is Bendtner...but still not that great.Board is upset every month with this players and want me to take some action....like to give them rest for a while. Man....if i hade problem just with one striker....but 3 from which are 2 one of the best in game?

I played the first 15 matches with my own tactical settings and my strikers weren't firing either. Than I read and applied the info in the TT&F *pdf manual I downloaded from the Tactics forum and the improvement was instant and dramatic. The main problem was that I hadn't got my head around the new logic for mentalities. I recommend to anyone a study of that manual. They haven't created super-tactics; rather they explain the theory and in-game logic to make your tactics more succesful.

In my opinion there were far too many goals in previous incarnations of Football Manager, and not just by strikers.

I'm currently playing a network game (It's going slowly, as we are rarely on our respective computers at the same time) and I've played a sampler season with Manchester United (Used soley to tinker and tweak tactics) and I haven't got a problem with the strike rate by the forwards. I DID have a problem with it, I got to the point in my sampler season where my forwards couldn't hit the target or be in a goal-scoring position, but I swallowed my pride and made a beeline for the tactics forum. I stumbled upon the "Tactical Theorems and Frameworks" thread. I read the parts where I had a problem (with my forwards, mainly) I read, I learned, I developed my tactics, I tweaked, and now not only did my manchester united team play some wonderful silky football, keeping it tight at the back and fluid up front, but we also hit 11 goals in 7 games. Now, 11 goals in 7 matches may not seem a lot, but if you add 4 clean sheets into the mix, then you got yourself a few wins. ;)

I played the first 15 matches with my own tactical settings and my strikers weren't firing either. Than I read and applied the info in the TT&F *pdf manual I downloaded from the Tactics forum and the improvement was instant and dramatic. The main problem was that I hadn't got my head around the new logic for mentalities. I recommend to anyone a study of that manual. They haven't created super-tactics; rather they explain the theory and in-game logic to make your tactics more succesful.

I don't think it's simply a matter of getting the right tactics though. I have managed man united and left the default 4-4-2 there for a while. Due to their world class players they will still create a lot of chances against weaker opposition and the strikers will still get plenty of decent chances, which they miss too often

The problem I find is; strikers miss too many one on ones with the keeper and don't get nearly enough tap in opportunities, while long shots are aplenty throughout the team. It gives the impression that strikers in the good old traditional sense (aka Shearer) are useless on FM09, because they simply don't score enough striker-esque type goals, and when coupled with the poor striker rating bug it's easy to understand why there is so much complaining about useless strikers on here

The only reliable tactic I could use to get Berbatov scoring is to play wide and then he'd score 80% of his goals with his head. Enjoying FM isn't as black and white as winning and losing, there has to be a variety in the way my team plays and scores depending on how I setup my tactics. But there are a few things missing so far, such as

-Strikers not as effective as they should be

-I can't get wingers to cut inside and run into the box

-Defenders make too many mistakes

Edit: Forgot to add one of the most annoying problems

-Strikers/attacking midfielders will refuse to run into the box and instead will run to the corner flag. It makes me wants to scream tbh

with the metion of one on ones just above i have to say that for some stupid reason my forward will break past the defence and run with the ball no defenders allbehind him and he either all of a sudden stops and defenders catch up and then passes it or runs out to the wing and waits for people why would he do this when he is thru on goal ????? confusing aint the word to be frank !!!!! even if my tactics are set to cross is it not common sense when your thru on goal to go for it !

The fact that many are having to read the TT&F is surely evidence enough that there is a problem with the scoring rate of strikers. Only the most tactically ******** people should have to read such threads to get the very basics right such as strikers scoring, especially when they have the likes of Torres, Berbatov etc in there team. When large numbers of people have to go there to do something so basic, it shows it isn't working properly.

I have had 3 games now using the 9.0.1 patch and i havent had any problems with the socring rate of strikers. it is harder to get 30 goals, but that is relaistic, just look at the Prem scoring charts in real life.

In my 2nd seasonw ith spurs Pavlachenko had 17 goals in january, which I would be delighted with in real life

Your strikers will score enough goals if you use a particular tactic that produces a lot of heading/long shot/open goal chances. People are struggling with strikers because they are missing one on one chances and not shooting fast enough before the defenders arrive. The target strikers seem to score ok if the tactic is decent for them but the dribbling strikers seem to miss too many one on ones and choose to pass or cross instead of taking shots in decent chances.

and Please for the love of God, give a much higher chance of occurrence for the opposite foot wingers to cut inside into the box with the ball when their crossing is set to rarely. I'm sick and tired of seeing wingers dribble all the way to the end of the pitch only to make a last minute attempt at a cross or not cross and stand there like a confused mentally ill kid because crossing is set to rarely.

Its your tactics.

I'm very happy with my strikers

Pogrebnyak 24 goals in 39 games

Lezcano 28 goals in 33 games

Posts like this don't benefit anyone and they hinder progress of FM. I've had strikers scoring a lot with Wolves, but that doesn't mean everything is fine and dandy. Strikers still run to the corner, they still miss too many one on ones with the keeper, they still get crap ratings, and they still shoot from 30 yards far too often

There's a lot more to it than simply how many they score, it's the manner in which they are scored, and it isn't "your tactics"

The fact that many are having to read the TT&F is surely evidence enough that there is a problem with the scoring rate of strikers. Only the most tactically ******** people should have to read such threads to get the very basics right such as strikers scoring, especially when they have the likes of Torres, Berbatov etc in there team. When large numbers of people have to go there to do something so basic, it shows it isn't working properly.

Well said indeed

I think, out of all the post, opinions and theories, this one just about sums up my feelings on the whole 'strikers issue'.

Why, indeed, should we have to scrat about looking for huge documents on tactics and theories just to POSSIBLY make things remotely realistic

I like depth, but im afraid this game at the moment is not fun to play in its current state. For me anyway.

Posts like this don't benefit anyone and they hinder progress of FM. I've had strikers scoring a lot with Wolves, but that doesn't mean everything is fine and dandy. Strikers still run to the corner, they still miss too many one on ones with the keeper, they still get crap ratings, and they still shoot from 30 yards far too often

There's a lot more to it than simply how many they score, it's the manner in which they are scored, and it isn't "your tactics"

I was simply replying to the person who ASKED if others get the same problem of strikers NOT scoring, he said nothing about how or how not goals were being scored or not scored.

:p Ronaldo (the real Ronaldo) when he was at Barca scored like 34 in 37 (in RL) :p close enough

but my prob is not my strikers scoring but they DO squander alot of chances.. sometimes even from point blank, which can be frustrating

Romario whilst at PSV was pretty close, as was Jardel in Portugal, just off the top of my head

it's not a problem the amount of goals strikers score. i defenetly don't want every striker to be able to score some 40 goals like in previous versions of FM. it's more about how goals are scored in general, too many screamers for my liking. with so many people moaning about 1 on 1's there must be a problem in ME.

for me it's a defensive issue where too many 1 on 1's happen. what i'd like to see in the patch is:

- further improvement of defenders marking and positioning

- especially full backs' positioning needs to be looked at as they stick too much to the strikers, leaving space for wingers

- slight increase in 1 on 1's conversation ratio

- decrease in clearences turning into 1 on 1. - 'GK bug'

- slight decrease in long shots effectivness

- right sided left footed wingers (and vice versa) cutting and drifting in a lot more. especially creative types which are set to cross the ball rarely

This is exactly the point which people keep missing, my scoring rate is fine, but when Joe Hart is my 4th best assister you know something is wrong lol

As for Robinho in my game he is utter rubbish, hes seriously crap the guy cant hit a cows arse with a banjo, where as my big tall russian post with as much finesse as a nail bomb regularly slots home classy one-on-ones, its madness i tells you!!

I had saviola as my striker in 2nd season at Spurs, he is very short and he was bangining in teh goals, i dont think this is an issue IMO

funny, i sold Saviola to Spurs.

bought him for £2.9m 5/7/09

sold him for £10m 15/8/2010

he scored 14 in 34 apps 11 Asts 2 Mom 6.87 AV R

not too good but buying him cheap & selling him on was worth it.

At least there is an issue about missing too many times sitters and scoring too many flukes or 35 yarder (on my Milan save i had Boriello scoring a 45 yarders and ye gk was on his line :x)

Wont complain about goal ratio from strikers but still tweaks are needed for the patch, i feel its harder than 08 where i did so well while i m struggling on O9 which tend me to think that some here are a bit bullshitting about their performances as usual

PPl are complaining about moaners but well i wont count how many times i saw "its your tactic" which is right in certain cases but not in any case and the famous "it can happen irl" (yeah sure for example my gk getting 4 assists in 8 games) and that s irritating to read

i've felt there was/is(?) definetely issues with the strikers to begin with

even though my stats don't really reflect it i felt we should've been scoring more

Cardozo was the 1st striker i'd signed that i felt lived up to expectations, & even he really cooled off in the 2nd half of the season.

i signed Jo on a free transfer & planned to sell him on as soon as he arrived to try & raise enough cash to sign David Silva...

the only offers i received were loans &/or 2 year installments so he ended up staying...

half a season in & he's scored 27 in 29(1), 7 asts, 8 MoM, 7.32 AV R

i still plan to sell him at the end of the season as Cardozo is my ideal striker stats-wise...

and i'll need all the cash i can get if i want to sign Silva...

scorershistory.jpg

another thread on "the strikers issue"

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=2239420#post2239420

Oh nooooooooooooooo!

Please don't do that.

I really hate it when people just want their strikers to score every game, and their team to 3-4 goals per game, and win everything. And they keep winning, winning, winning... And they SOMEHOW still have fun...

SI, this is the first time that I'm enjoying this game, ever since the new game engine has been introduced (2004?).

PLEEEEEAAASE keep it realistic! You've been making your "I wanna win everything every game" type of customers happy the last 4-5 years, just this one time think about the rest of your customers for god's sake :)

Archived