Strikers issue....and it is issue in my opinion

I've yet to really see a problem with the strikers. Short Strikers can and will score a lot of goals, but hoofing it up field against deep defensive lines isn't going to be useful to Aguero.

I actually think that the balence in scoring is the best we've had in years. In last years game my strikers were gods amoung men. One bloke had 40 goals in a Premier League season. Another 2 years ealier had 37.

How goals are scored is entirely down to your tactics, people talk about too many long shots being scored, but I've not seen anywhere near as many as people are saying. Most of my side's goals are coming from pacey strikers in behind and my taller strikers getting a good head to the ball then midfielders pouncing on the edge or just inside the box and tight play in the box are a bit less frequent.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, one game my player got whacked.. he went to 54%.. then he got whacked again, he went to 25% lol, dude nearly died lol.. i had to substitute him immediately! but, my players funnily enough dont get that tired

i've sinced change to slow tempo, short passing though.. but yea, the biggest prob in this game is defence.. defenders are just plain crap! alot of times they dont close down the opponent even if u have it set to close down.. they dont tackle nearly enough, as sometimes they allow the opponent to just waltzed through the defence and score

I'm pretty irritated by the people who say "it's your tactics", these people have their head in the sand as far as I'm concerned. There is a definite problem with strikers in this version, if there wasn't there wouldn't be as many threads complaining about it now, would there. I have to say though, I agree to an extent with the "it's your tactics" sentiment. It is your tactics that are probably wrong, why else would your world class striker not be playing well. It is your fault for not finding the one tactical set up amongst an infinity of other set-ups (equivalent to all the conditions being right in the universe at any one time for life to be possible on our planet) that allows a striker to play to his potential. Because in reality, that's what football is like. A striker will only perform if he is given the exact, specific tactic to play to, regardless of his undoubted talent. Wayne Rooney would lie in the foetal position, weeing himself and sucking his thumb, in the middle of the pitch if he hadn't been told to run with the ball, cross often but make mixed forward runs; he'd be lost without this tactical instruction...and if you believe that you'll believe anything. Good players should be able to play under a variety of different tactics, so to just state 'it's your tactic' is not helping anyone . The more that people state it, allows SI to ignore a big issue. think on!

The only issue with strikers is that they are unfairly evaluated with match ratings. There is no other issue. I have seen a lot of great play from my strikers in Villa as well as in York. In my style of play, I am biased into big/quick striker cooperation (Carew/Agbonlahor in Villa and Jardel/Bowditch in York). I saw only one or two matches, in which I was not satisfied with one of them.

Usually, half time team talk set to "disappointing" should help to raise strikers' level of performance.

This is exactly the point which people keep missing, my scoring rate is fine, but when Joe Hart is my 4th best assister you know something is wrong lol

As for Robinho in my game he is utter rubbish, hes seriously crap the guy cant hit a cows arse with a banjo, where as my big tall russian post with as much finesse as a nail bomb regularly slots home classy one-on-ones, its madness i tells you!!

I dont know if the ai uses OI's as such? If it does then maybe they are having too great an effect because it is much easier to intimidate/knock off the ball the lil guys like Robinho who have low strength and bravery than your Russian post.

Personally I quite like it the way it is now - small fast strikers are most effective playing against teams who push up. If you are a top team then you pretty much need a targetman of some kind to make the opposition think twice about dropping too deep. If you want to play with one striker he has to be an all rounder with reasonable pace strength jumping

The only issue with strikers is that they are unfairly evaluated with match ratings. There is no other issue. I have seen a lot of great play from my strikers in Villa as well as in York. In my style of play, I am biased into big/quick striker cooperation (Carew/Agbonlahor in Villa and Jardel/Bowditch in York). I saw only one or two matches, in which I was not satisfied with one of them.

Usually, half time team talk set to "disappointing" should help to raise strikers' level of performance.

The big quick combo is pretty much all that currently works atm though with so much emphasis on striker ratings put on heading, quick guys will just get marked out of the game and never win a header.

Also it isnt the ONLY issue, way to many 1-on-1s are created and missed, not enough crosses are completed for the amount of winger runs you create and the engine favours route 1 counter attacking way to much.

My strikers work like a charm. My star striker right now, Benzema, has scored an average 1.2 gpg over the last 24 matches and regularly gets a match rating of 8+

Pretty much perfect striker behaviour. Even my second best striker has scored 11 goals in the last 24 matches.

My point being, they work fine. They do not need patching in my opinion.

-E-

I confirm Benzema is a great scorer.

I thought it was a physical fact (many are talking on Aguero), but the top scorers were him and Pato so the are 2 possibilities

- Somehow "our" forwards are rated worst than the AI ones

- "Our" tactics simply sucks

Recently I'm for the second, tweaking my tactic made me improve my forwards ratings.

Of course if your defenders make often long high pass for your "Agueros" it will be hard for them to get the ball.

...way to many 1-on-1s are created and missed, not enough crosses are completed for the amount of winger runs you create and the engine favours route 1 counter attacking way to much.
I did not spot it. Not an issue for me. IRL a lot of crosses are not completed and a lot of 1 on 1s are wasted. Also in this season EPL favours teams playing counter attacking style.

I did not spot it. Not an issue for me. IRL a lot of crosses are not completed and a lot of 1 on 1s are wasted. Also in this season EPL favours teams playing counter attacking style.

Then maybe you havent watched many matches in full detail.

I appreciate that alot of crosses gets blocked in real life, but id say a good 90% of the crosses I see get blocked (both mine and the AI teams), and the ones which arent VERY rarely end in goals.

1-on-1s dont talk rubbish mate, i played Man Utd and got 5 1-on-1s with their keeper, when was the last time that happened IRL??

Good teams rarely give away more than 1 or 2 a game unless they have a nightmare (IRL that is)

And counter attacking im cool with, appalling marking and goalkeepers getting regular assists is NOT cool or remotely realistic.

The fact that many are having to read the TT&F is surely evidence enough that there is a problem with the scoring rate of strikers. Only the most tactically ******** people should have to read such threads to get the very basics right such as strikers scoring, especially when they have the likes of Torres, Berbatov etc in there team. When large numbers of people have to go there to do something so basic, it shows it isn't working properly.

I strongly disagree. Just because the game has become more difficult, doesn't necessarily mean that is flawed. Why do you think that every game now days have a strategic guide? And why do you think people buy strategic guides? Is it because the games are flawed? I think more that very challenging games have strategy guides because most gamers found it very difficult to play and succeed therefore they need a hand with it.

I have full respect for everyone in here and I sympathize with anyone that can't play the game, but it looks to me that there are more and more people in here that have the opinion that "I can't win in this game, therefore there's a problem with the game".

On the other hand, why would you like a game that's easy to win? It get's boring after few season.... (that's my opinion of course).

I'm pretty irritated by the people who say "it's your tactics", these people have their head in the sand as far as I'm concerned. There is a definite problem with strikers in this version, if there wasn't there wouldn't be as many threads complaining about it now, would there. I have to say though, I agree to an extent with the "it's your tactics" sentiment. It is your tactics that are probably wrong, why else would your world class striker not be playing well. It is your fault for not finding the one tactical set up amongst an infinity of other set-ups (equivalent to all the conditions being right in the universe at any one time for life to be possible on our planet) that allows a striker to play to his potential. Because in reality, that's what football is like. A striker will only perform if he is given the exact, specific tactic to play to, regardless of his undoubted talent. Wayne Rooney would lie in the foetal position, weeing himself and sucking his thumb, in the middle of the pitch if he hadn't been told to run with the ball, cross often but make mixed forward runs; he'd be lost without this tactical instruction...and if you believe that you'll believe anything. Good players should be able to play under a variety of different tactics, so to just state 'it's your tactic' is not helping anyone . The more that people state it, allows SI to ignore a big issue. think on!

Err... Can I remind you that Wayne Rooney went with 2 years+ without scoring in the England squad when Steve McLaren was in charge? Oh yes, I remembered, when he was fired by the FA, he said: "It's not my tactics, it's a striker bug, sort it out in the next patch SI!!!" :)

"Err... Can I remind you that Wayne Rooney went with 2 years+ without scoring in the England squad when Steve McLaren was in charge? Oh yes, I remembered, when he was fired by the FA, he said: "It's not my tactics, it's a striker bug, sort it out in the next patch SI!!!" "

So that one example makes a mockery of my argument does it? You are talking in the extremes. Mclaren played Rooney up front on his own a lot. That's what made him get so frustrated all the time. Of course, if you play Rooney up front and totally isolate him, he is going to struggle to perform. However, there should be a number of tactics and playing mentalities that will still get a good performance out of a player. I'm not talking about formations here, I'm talking about player mentality and the individual settings. There should be a general area where tactically a player is comfortable and can perform and the greater the players ability, the greater that comfort zone. All the examples people talk about on here are for exceptional players - Torres, Adebayor, Aguero, Robinho. The only way these types of players should be turning in regular poor performances is if you make them ultra defensive with no freedom, no forward runs, marking the opposition strikers. The players expression and ability must come into it!We've all known how to set up our strikers in the past, and we've not all suddenly lost that ability. Granted there have been some silly 40 goals in 35 games tallies but it's gone too far the other way.

Then maybe you havent watched many matches in full detail.

I appreciate that alot of crosses gets blocked in real life, but id say a good 90% of the crosses I see get blocked (both mine and the AI teams), and the ones which arent VERY rarely end in goals.

1-on-1s dont talk rubbish mate, i played Man Utd and got 5 1-on-1s with their keeper, when was the last time that happened IRL??

Good teams rarely give away more than 1 or 2 a game unless they have a nightmare (IRL that is)

And counter attacking im cool with, appalling marking and goalkeepers getting regular assists is NOT cool or remotely realistic.

I have watched a lot of games in full details and after that, I have decided it is not worth to lose valuable time on watching full games so I have switched back to Extended, which is again sufficient in 9.1.0.

Cross efficiency should be gathered via statistics if I remember correctly (correct me if not). Imho 90% is very high, I think in my full games it was something about 50% of blocked crosses.

A lot of crosses have ended with a goal in opposition net in my game :) It is my style of play. I think FM08 had a lot of blocked crosses but not FM09.

1-on-1 - if opp. AI is playing offside trap (and I am sure that ManUre, Arse or Liverplop are using it in ME) and your strikers are playing on the verge of cut defense, it is nothing special to see 1-on-1. IRL teams are not playing against top 4 teams with 9 men behind ball but with all 10 men behind ball and counter-attacking, so it is not so often to see 1-on-1 in IRL. Nothing special in FM09 ME. It should be very bad, if you are playing deep with both your strikers and have a lot of 1-on-1, but not when you are cutting opp. defence with TTF advices (S mentality e.g. 10 and 16)

I can agree with you only on too much assissts by GK - yes that should be lowered.

One thing is that every player doesn't close down as it should (FM08)

Another is that every striker doesn't score.

Another is that every striker while one on one with gk prefers to run around the area than shot at goal

Another is that ONLY YOUR striker plays bad.

We have just to discover if it's something regarding "we players" or every team in the game (AI too).

As I said before I thought it was something about non physical strikers, but Pato was top scorer in the league. So it can (CAN) be a tactic issue or a match engine issue.

BUT if it's an me issue, it should be an AI problem too.

I have watched a lot of games in full details and after that, I have decided it is not worth to lose valuable time on watching full games so I have switched back to Extended, which is again sufficient in 9.1.0.

Cross efficiency should be gathered via statistics if I remember correctly (correct me if not). Imho 90% is very high, I think in my full games it was something about 50% of blocked crosses.

A lot of crosses have ended with a goal in opposition net in my game :) It is my style of play. I think FM08 had a lot of blocked crosses but not FM09.

1-on-1 - if opp. AI is playing offside trap (and I am sure that ManUre, Arse or Liverplop are using it in ME) and your strikers are playing on the verge of cut defense, it is nothing special to see 1-on-1. IRL teams are not playing against top 4 teams with 9 men behind ball but with all 10 men behind ball and counter-attacking, so it is not so often to see 1-on-1 in IRL. Nothing special in FM09 ME. It should be very bad, if you are playing deep with both your strikers and have a lot of 1-on-1, but not when you are cutting opp. defence with TTF advices (S mentality e.g. 10 and 16)

I can agree with you only on too much assissts by GK - yes that should be lowered.

With respect the crossing issue is happening for the AI teams in my game to, im over half way through the season and we've ad 3 solitary goals scored against us from headed crosses in open play, thats WAY to low.

The 1-on-1s again i fear you have your rose tinted specs on here, i and the AI teams consistently get 1-on-1s way more than ANY other type of chance and they miss way more than many others, not just vs Man U, vs all the teams i play yet we score more from the edge of the box (often from players with low long shots as well)

To clarify i enjoy the game despite these issues, and im second in the league with the 2 of the top 5 EPL goalscorers in my team, and the second best assister, but thats not the point. All to often games i watch its the most bizarre unrealistic goal attempts which go in and the easy ones rarely do, same for the AI teams.

The scoring ratio is fine, its the types of chances and goals which need tweaking imo.

"Err... Can I remind you that Wayne Rooney went with 2 years+ without scoring in the England squad when Steve McLaren was in charge? Oh yes, I remembered, when he was fired by the FA, he said: "It's not my tactics, it's a striker bug, sort it out in the next patch SI!!!" "

So that one example makes a mockery of my argument does it? You are talking in the extremes. Mclaren played Rooney up front on his own a lot. That's what made him get so frustrated all the time. Of course, if you play Rooney up front and totally isolate him, he is going to struggle to perform. However, there should be a number of tactics and playing mentalities that will still get a good performance out of a player. I'm not talking about formations here, I'm talking about player mentality and the individual settings. There should be a general area where tactically a player is comfortable and can perform and the greater the players ability, the greater that comfort zone. All the examples people talk about on here are for exceptional players - Torres, Adebayor, Aguero, Robinho. The only way these types of players should be turning in regular poor performances is if you make them ultra defensive with no freedom, no forward runs, marking the opposition strikers. The players expression and ability must come into it!We've all known how to set up our strikers in the past, and we've not all suddenly lost that ability. Granted there have been some silly 40 goals in 35 games tallies but it's gone too far the other way.

I didn't want to make a mockery of your argument. It was just a joke. I also wanted to point out that, tactics can influence on how a striker performs in real life. I'm sure that there is only one perfect slider combination to make the striker perform, nor you need to get it perfectly right. You do, however try out different solution and you do need to have patience because it looks like trying new tactics and bring new players in a team makes a difference in the game as in real life (the players need time to get used to play together and players need time to learn new tactics).

Remember that for a person having issues with strikers goal ratio, there is one that has no problem. Again, the game has got more difficult, some people like it, some people don't. This however doesn't necessarily mean that there is a striker bug.

Again, the game has got more difficult, some people like it, some people don't. This however doesn't necessarily mean that there is a striker bug.

Except that SI has confirmed there is an issue with striker ratings for smaller less physical players therefor its not a huge leap to assume that this is having a knock on effect on goalscoring and types of goals.

There are also a number of minor match engine issues that are confirmed and being looked into again these could affecting the types of goals and chances we are seeing.

Taking that into account its not ridiculous to assume that those who arent seeing any problems either arent looking hard enough or are successful despite the ME flaws.

When my goalie is getting assists and defenders wait in the box to be robbed and then stand statically while strikers score (happened to and for me btw) it tells me the ME isnt running properly.

So far this season IRL this is the record of the main strikers of the top 4 clubs.

Liverpool:

Torres - 13(3) apps, 5 goals

Keane - 19(4) apps, 4 goals

Chelsea:

Anelka - 20(2) apps, 15 goals

Drogba - 4(7) apps, 2 goals

Man United:

Rooney - 18(3) apps, 7 goals

Berbatov - 14(1) apps, 6 goals

Tevez - 13(9) apps, 7 goals

Arsenal:

Adebayor - 16(3) apps, 10 goals

Van Persie - 17(2) apps, 9 goals

Bendtner - 12(8) apps, 5 goals.

Of those 10 players only 2 are scoring at better than a goal every other game, the other records stand comparison with a lot of those that keep being quoted on these forums. 30 goals a season these days is rare never mind anything above that. That's why you hear managers wanting 20-25 goal a season men rather than 40-45 goal a season men.

I think the issue with the ME and lack of goals is more down to some sort of bias against using 2 SC or just not giving workrate the higher ratings it might deserve. I have been using Knaps 4222 tactic and it seems the right SC will score but the left SC won't as often.

I have Oscar Cardozo, Adriano, Daniel Sturridge and Jozy Altidore playing for me Portsmouth team and I alternate them and they are all scoring but only when in the right SC position. However, I do notice that the left SC does pass the ball and setup a few goals but doesn't seem to the recognition and thus slighty better ratings.

To give 2 RL examples from my beloved Portsmouth. This years stats show that Defoe and Crouch have 9 goals each in all comps. All other players have 9 in total. That means the 2 SC for Portsmouth are scoring 66% of our goals. When Benjani was bought he was our record signiong and didn't score for 13 or so games but because of his tremendous work rate we loved him and were willing him to score every game. The local papers would give good ratings despite no goals.

I haven't seen an issue with strikers and goals (does not mean it does not exist, I haven't played long enough to say it does though). I devised my tactics based on TTF.

I play as Rennes in the French league and while I don't win matches by flood scores, I'm still in third, one point behind the first 2 with a game in hand, with a GD of +14 after 22 matches. However, I do agree that strikers get awful ratings. It's not uncommon for them to get 5.x which is really low. I noticed that if they score they go straight to 7.x. So maybe it's calculated not on their work rate for the team but on the ability to do what they're paid to do, ie score goals?

So maybe it's calculated not on their work rate for the team but on the ability to do what they're paid to do, ie score goals?

This is something I wonder about as well. Although I haven't seen much of Liverpool, Robbie Keane does seem to be working hard and setting up goals rather than score them which IMO is just as valuable.

I wouldn't care if Keane acored 0 goals all year but had 30 assists and Torres had 30 goals and 0 assists because I am still getting my goals.

So far this season IRL this is the record of the main strikers of the top 4 clubs.

Liverpool:

Torres - 13(3) apps, 5 goals

Keane - 19(4) apps, 4 goals

Chelsea:

Anelka - 20(2) apps, 15 goals

Drogba - 4(7) apps, 2 goals

Man United:

Rooney - 18(3) apps, 7 goals

Berbatov - 14(1) apps, 6 goals

Tevez - 13(9) apps, 7 goals

Arsenal:

Adebayor - 16(3) apps, 10 goals

Van Persie - 17(2) apps, 9 goals

Bendtner - 12(8) apps, 5 goals.

Of those 10 players only 2 are scoring at better than a goal every other game, the other records stand comparison with a lot of those that keep being quoted on these forums. 30 goals a season these days is rare never mind anything above that. That's why you hear managers wanting 20-25 goal a season men rather than 40-45 goal a season men.

I have to agree with this, scoring rates in my game seem very true to RL and the game is better for it.

If there is a problem its that small strikers ratings get hammered when their team launch a succesion of long high balls at them. It would be fairer if the rating system penalised the passer rather than the recipient

I have to agree with this, scoring rates in my game seem very true to RL and the game is better for it.

If there is a problem its that small strikers ratings get hammered when their team launch a succesion of long high balls at them. It would be fairer if the rating system penalised the passer rather than the recipient

Yeah that and they oddly seem to target the smaller striker more often unless you set the other one as a target man, which isnt always a good idea.

My Man city team are obsessed with launching high balls at Robinho which sends his rating through the floor regardless of the passing instructions i give them.

Strikers in real life should score around 50-55% of all goals. As it happens, for 9.2 this is edging up towards 60% for some lower divisions, which might be a little higher than RL, but should please a lot of people on here ;)

so in other words we shouldnt take any notice of a strikers 'finishing','composure',etc when signing him because he will only score 50% of the time anyway? nice one. thats good to know. cheers for that.:confused:

if RL comes into the equation then how do you explain ronaldos tally last season?

That's a fair point - although I would say that if a small striker is being subjected to a barrage of long balls then obviously he's going to have little impact on the game and will automatically get a low rating.

so in other words we shouldnt take any notice of a strikers 'finishing','composure',etc when signing him because he will only score 50% of the time anyway? nice one. thats good to know. cheers for that.:confused:

if RL comes into the equation then how do you explain ronaldos tally last season?

Ronaldo last season was an outstanding (and pretty rare) achievement. I'm not saying there isn't scope for players scoring 40 goals in a season once in a while on the game, but it just doesn't happen as much as previous versions of FM might have you believe. A goal every other game is generally accepted to be a very good strike rate.

Yes there is an issue. I just lost to newly promoted QPR 2-1. They score a wonder 40 yard effort and yet Bellamy was clean through and hit it straight at the keeper. Then a perfect lay back to Hermandi arriving unmarked on the penalty spot and he blasts it 50 feet over the bar. I wouldn't mind but their fella who scored had awful long shots ratings.

I'm slowly getting fed up. I spend hours on two tactics, win 15-0 in a friendly so I think great finally and then this happens in the first game of the season. IT'S NOT MY TACTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet another whinger about strikers not scoring goals.

Many like you have complained - complained - complained and complained.... strikers score half, if not less, of there chances in real life. Why should it be different in a game.

Would you rather your strikers score every chance they get so you win 10-0 every game? That would be realistic wouldn't it!

03bault - Not with 'every chance they get'. But I think the point is If you dominate possession and have 5 clear cut chances (not shots on target) decent strikers should put away more than they do in The Game.

The tactics (its you tactics) create the clear cut chances. I'm winning (2 titles with United and top of The Championship with Blues), but unless this is tweaked the game will remain very frustrating.

Many like you have complained - complained - complained and complained.... strikers score half, if not less, of there chances in real life. Why should it be different in a game.

Would you rather your strikers score every chance they get so you win 10-0 every game? That would be realistic wouldn't it!

no but having low average rating just because they dont score isnt right.

Ronaldo last season was an outstanding (and pretty rare) achievement. I'm not saying there isn't scope for players scoring 40 goals in a season once in a while on the game, but it just doesn't happen as much as previous versions of FM might have you believe. A goal every other game is generally accepted to be a very good strike rate.

i dont disagree with that. but why have the strikers got to have very poor match ratings when they invariably dont score? dont get me wrong, id love for my strikers to have a 50% success rate but im lucky if its 25% at best.

its not IMO a bug, its just the game being far too harsh on strikers. unfairly. i appreciate that not everybody is having this 'problem', but there is hundreds of threads that suggest that this is a 'problem'.

I strongly disagree. Just because the game has become more difficult, doesn't necessarily mean that is flawed. Why do you think that every game now days have a strategic guide? And why do you think people buy strategic guides? Is it because the games are flawed? I think more that very challenging games have strategy guides because most gamers found it very difficult to play and succeed therefore they need a hand with it.

I have full respect for everyone in here and I sympathize with anyone that can't play the game, but it looks to me that there are more and more people in here that have the opinion that "I can't win in this game, therefore there's a problem with the game".

On the other hand, why would you like a game that's easy to win? It get's boring after few season.... (that's my opinion of course).

Why is it that when a very large number of people have a problem it instantly gets dismissed as people either not being able to win or wanting an easy game. It simply isn't the case. In my first season with Liverpool, I finished 2nd, 2 points behind Arsenal, and I also won the Champions League, and thats with my strikers having a terrible scoring rate, and in my pre-patch VVV game, I'm also doing well, again, with strikers who don't seem to know what this thing called a goal is. And I have read many a post of people with very similar experiences in winning but with worthless strikers.

People aren't calling for an easy game, just a realistic game, and when it comes to strikers scoring rate, I and seemingly a lrage proportion of other users don't believe this is present with the latest patch. The overall number of goals being scored is fine, but those scored by strikers is too low. At times I've considered not playing with my strikers in the AMC position because I think they might be more likely to score. Like I said in my previous post, you shouldn't have to visit a game forum to be able to get some of footballs very basics right, especially when many of us, especially those on the forum, are massive football fans who whilst not being tactical gods, know more then enough to get a half decent team on the go.

If you read my post properly I'm complaining about the type of chances you miss especially compared to the Al. Yes it is frustrating when the Al scores a shot from 40 yards from the wing and yet my strikers blast it over from 5 yards and every cross your wingers make gets headed away and when your striker with "rare long shots" blasts it over from 20 yards every time or you keep it tight and then get undone by a long keeper kick straight to their striker or the ball is 5 yards away but your forward stands still ,,, yes it's frustrating.

Yes, strikers do score half, if not less, than their chances IRL but they don't miss a hatful of "sitters" constantly. Chances that quite simply are harder to miss than they are to score.

And if I'm "yet another whinger about strikers not scoring goals" then one must realise if other are having the same problem then there must be a problem that needs tweaking, especially poor ratings unless your striker scores.

i can cope with all the other bugs like the injuries, long shots, etc but i am unable to play this game because of the striker 'problem'. its ruined it for me. if this next patch due out before christmas doesnt sort it then i dont think i will be playing it again. which is a damn shame really.

Why is it that when a very large number of people have a problem it instantly gets dismissed as people either not being able to win or wanting an easy game. It simply isn't the case. In my first season with Liverpool, I finished 2nd, 2 points behind Arsenal, and I also won the Champions League, and thats with my strikers having a terrible scoring rate, and in my pre-patch VVV game, I'm also doing well, again, with strikers who don't seem to know what this thing called a goal is. And I have read many a post of people with very similar experiences in winning but with worthless strikers.

People aren't calling for an easy game, just a realistic game, and when it comes to strikers scoring rate, I and seemingly a lrage proportion of other users don't believe this is present with the latest patch. The overall number of goals being scored is fine, but those scored by strikers is too low. At times I've considered not playing with my strikers in the AMC position because I think they might be more likely to score. Like I said in my previous post, you shouldn't have to visit a game forum to be able to get some of footballs very basics right, especially when many of us, especially those on the forum, are massive football fans who whilst not being tactical gods, know more then enough to get a half decent team on the go.

Hehehe, I remember that when CM4 came out people were complaining that stikers were scoring too many goals ...:) People are never happy.... (just a joke, before you eat me alive:D

Hehehe, I remember that when CM4 came out people were complaining that stikers were scoring too many goals ...:) People are never happy.... (just a joke, before you eat me alive:D

Don't worry, I'm not hungry, yet... ;)

I will admit that I'm pleased that the number of goals being scored by strikers has gone down because it was ridiculous before, but now I feel it's gone too far the other way, especially when both Carragher and Agger scored more goals (both getting into double figures) then Higuain, my second striker, and only a few less the Torres.

A) This isnt real life its a mathematical database simulation of real life to create an entertaining game.

B) My strikers despite being 3rd and 4th highest goalscorers in the league respectively are both averaging less than 20% conversion rates, mostly cause my tactics manufacture alot of 1-on-1s which never seem to go in, where as 40yd screamers often do. And my strikers have all the relevant finishing stats at well over 16.

For the last time nobodies asking for 10-0, but if i manufacture at least 3 1-on-1 situations a game with quality strikers i expect to score at least one of those every other game which often isnt the case.

He said that strikers will score 50-55% of all goals, not that they will score 50-55% of their chances.

I honestly dont understand the striker issue. Played many seasons and my strikers are doing just fine. However i give the stats for just the last 2 seasons and partial season im in now. Note, my main 2 strikers are Rossi and Vela (play as united and use Rooney as an amc for the assists hence why he not a goalscorer.) Dont use a targetman or someone that is a big man for long balls. Most my goals come through low passes around the opponents and through balls to run onto by my fast forwards. But they also score some from crosses into the box. Considering the amount of goals ronaldo/messi/nani (ie wingers) are scoring it amazining how many my strikers score

2010/11 -

Rossi - 32 goals in 54(2) games

Vela - 43 goals in 61(5) games

2011/12 -

Rossi - 20 goals in 45(7) games <this explained due to vela scoring and rossi filling in at amc for a dozen games)

Vela - 46 goals in 51(7) games

2012/13 -

Rossi - 22 goals in 21(2) games

Vela - 21 goals in 23(3) games

Campbell - 7 goals in 10(2) games

Bad tactics creates less chances. A team thats out of form or ha bad morale creates less chances. Especially 1-on-1's. Tactics is not the problem.

In FM09 there are generally too many 1-on-1 chances being created (poor defence 'bug'?) but at the same the strikers execute far to few of them. This means the striker's scoring rate are a just little less in total than it should be.

The thing is; People get very upset as they watch these 1-on-1 misses... With less 1-on-1's created together with a higher execution rate the 'problem' is probably solved.

Bad tactics creates less chances. A team thats out of form or ha bad morale creates less chances. Especially 1-on-1's. Tactics is not the problem.

In FM09 there are generally too many 1-on-1 chances being created (poor defence 'bug'?) but at the same the strikers execute far to few of them. This means the striker's scoring rate are a just little less in total than it should be.

The thing is; People get very upset as they watch these 1-on-1 misses... With less 1-on-1's created together with a higher execution rate the 'problem' is probably solved.

Exactly, finally someone gets it.

You sir have earned yourself a piece of your favourite pie :D

The amount of easy chances i create i should be scoring alot more, the fact that my actual goalscoring rate is acceptable is neither here nor there. It highlights a flaw in the ME where far to many clear chances are made and fluffed.

Fewer should be created but more put away imo...

My strikers are doing pretty realistically IMO, I rotate Aguero, Drogba and Di Santo for a season, scored slightly less than 60 goals among them, around 50~55% of my total goals.

Aguero had 22 in around 45 games

Drogba had 18 in around 35 games (he was injured for a couple of months)

Di Santo had 19 in around 26 games (brilliant form, hopefully it'll last...)

Then Lampard, Ballack and Deco toss in about 10 goals each, which is pretty realistic considering how much I rotate them too...

Better than when I had Stancu scoring 155 goals in two seasons anyway... Though that was an epic period of time for my Bolton team. :)

this subject is just getting ridiculous. as far as im concerned, if i pick two very capable strikers in an SI pre-selected tactic and they constantly play crap and score less than a nymph in a brothel then something is fundamentaly wrong.

ive read the 50 page essay on tactics that wwfan has meticulously put together and i still dont get it. nor should i have had to read it. i shouldnt have to tweek the sliders here and there and keep ticking/unticking boxes just so i can get my strikers to score.

im sick to death of people saying "theres no bug, you just havent set your strikers mentality right". rubbish. if ive got decent strikers playing a 'normal' tactic then i expect results.

its not rocket science and its not total war. its football. its meant to be fun and its not.

i bet harry redknapp doesnt have to put up with this crap!

Listing your strikers and how many goals they scored for you proves nothing. Because it is all relative according to how many chances you can make and what type of chances you encourage the strikers to make. If the game severely favours only one aspect of many different scoring routes, then there definitely is a problem. Because there are different types of strikers who all do equally well.

Strikers take shots even if the chances are low. Because it's what they do. They get paid to make goals happen. But it seems like in FM the strikers are way too easy to let shooting chances go by and not take shots when they have all the time in the world, or prefer to move out of the angle and attempt hopeless crosses.

I can make my strikers to score decent amount of goals but the kinds of things they actually do in the match are just ridiculous.

Listing your strikers and how many goals they scored for you proves nothing. Because it is all relative according to how many chances you can make and what type of chances you encourage the strikers to make. If the game severely favours only one aspect of many different scoring routes, then there definitely is a problem. Because there are different types of strikers who all do equally well

I disagree with you, read the opening post again and you see it about strikers not scoring, especially short ones.

So....strikers dos'nt strike.Especially short strikers canot score a goal.I have issue with Robinho at first playing for MC.Now i play Arsenal.I got Aguero,i have Vela.Both are hopeless.Absolutely hopeless.Aguero scored 7 goals in 22 games...Vela scored 0!! goals in league and 2 goals in Champions league against some polish team.They have average rating around 6.3.

Bendtner is beter somehow...6 goals in 12 games.

Veloso whom i got scored 10 goals in 16 games....

What is the deal?Looks like short strikers are useless somehow...

I played for MC 4.5.1 with Arsenal i play 4.4.2 knapp.Im first in league,not complain here,for sure not cuz of my strikers are productive thou:(

Anyone have same problem?

so that is the opening post, and it iis something i disagree with because as shown my strikers are doing just fine. No mention about the ratio of shots to goals (again i seem to be ok). He specificaly complains about Vela yet he was one my greatest assests and a good scoring ratio to go with it. Oh, and i have the problem with my strikers hitting it when i rather them not at times, but that the opposit of what you saying chochip

Strikers in real life should score around 50-55% of all goals. As it happens, for 9.2 this is edging up towards 60% for some lower divisions, which might be a little higher than RL, but should please a lot of people on here ;)

Well, did you fixed defensive side to? I got no problems with scoring in my games( avg goals per game are spot on), but most of the goals are scored by unusual defensive meltdowns (players and AI's). I would still take that over unrealistic 50 goals in 50 matches strikers from last year.

Or we are getting new version of last years laughable 8.0.2 which was suitable only for 5 year old's?

Archived